• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Give the player a love interest!

That's a terrible idea. You are a terrible person for thinking that.

No really, in a world about animals with superpowers that blow shit up, the last thing one needs is "romance".

Let me repeat that... The game is about collecting monsters and battling others (in-game, and against other players). The protagonist is an avatar of the player. A romantic sub-plot would not only accomplish nothing, but it would only serve to disconnect the player from the main character.

No really, in a world about animals with superpowers that blow shit up, the last thing one needs is "romance".

Let me repeat that... The game is about collecting monsters and battling others (in-game, and against other players). The protagonist is an avatar of the player. A romantic sub-plot would not only accomplish nothing, but it would only serve to disconnect the player from the main character.

Are you talking just about Pokémon, or all video games? Because if you mean all video games, then you're a stupid person.

See? What'd I tell you? Some people hate me and my ideas.:ksmile: Heh, not that I care.

Everyone is born out of platonic mating, hate-sex, or rape then?

No sersiously. We already have love interests. Every important NPC Your psuedo-character. They're basically your love interest. Brendan even dropped a possible hint soda on his mega flirt hint sandwich.

Are you talking just about Pokémon, or all video games? Because if you mean all video games, then you're a stupid person.

I'm refering to Pokémon only you idiot.

But to be honest, I play video games because they're games, not because of romance between fictional characters... If I wanted that, I'd read a romance novel or watch a chick-flick.

Everyone is born out of platonic mating, hate-sex, or rape then?

No sersiously. We already have love interests. Every important NPC Your psuedo-character. They're basically your love interest. Brendan even dropped a possible hint soda on his mega flirt hint sandwich.

What the hell are you even talking about? I never got any hint of a "love interest" while playing any of the RSE games...

Has everyone gone insane?

ok i really dont get why people focus on story espcecially bad story pokemon is about playing competitive

Not everybody is into just the competitive aspects of the games. I like both the Gym/E4 battles and the storyline, the storyline being my most favorite part of the games.

Most little kids who play pokemon aren't on these forums.

Although you shouldn't rule out the possibility that some could have lied about their age just to join forums. Happens quite a bit.

Like what others have stated, I don't see what the point is of having a love interest in these games... the best I can think of is if an NPC occasionally flirts with you without having any consequences, but that's about it.

I'm all for choices in the game, and perhaps those choices lead to a character becoming infatuated with you... but I don't think the silent Protagonist is much good for romance.

I'm refering to Pokémon only you idiot.

But to be honest, I play video games because they're games, not because of romance between fictional characters... If I wanted that, I'd read a romance novel or watch a chick-flick.

So I take it you're not a Bioware fan?

what if I don't want my protagonist to be straight, GF, you gotta be PC.
Gotta cater to em' all!

Only if the PC isn't, you know, ten. Then it would just be weird.

yes, because it isn't weird that these 10 year olds are off saving the world and dealing with criminals, including cults and mobs. i did that when i was 10 too!

but i digress.

i wouldn't mind it, but since the characters are silent, how would that work?

and like keegman said, they have a romantic subplot in all the megaman bn games...though the protagonists isn't silent...

and like keegman said, they have a romantic subplot in all the megaman bn games...though the protagonists isn't silent...

Actually, romance with silent protagonists isn't that hard; Persona 3 (and I assume P4) both manage this quite well.

The MC is silent for the most part (only time he's given a voice is when he says "Persona at the beginning of the game, as well as when he calls the name of the summons that utilize the attack choice.), and all of the relationships he forms (both platonic and romantic) are based off of the decisions of the person. Though, for most of the platonic ones, your responses don't really have any major effect on how that meeting turns out; if you don't see that person for a while, though, then it causes the relationship to reverse. However, the romantic ones are based off of every decision you make, and a bad one can cause your relationship to reverse; plus, the social link level at which the other female characters are at also effect your girlfriend's response.

Anyway, on the idea of romantic subplot for Pokemon, I don't really see a problem with it, though I can't see it happening with Black and White (or the third version for this trio), though maybe with the next gen.

The thing I like about this game, more than the critters, and more than my precious mechanics even, is the fact that pokemon has never tried to take itself too seriously. That said love is a pretty serious thing and inclusion of a love interest is a slippery slope to taking itself to seriously. It would muck up the formula and come off as creepy at best. It just doesn't belong. The plot of pokemon should be more like "bla bla bla... now fight!"

What the hell are you even talking about? I never got any hint of a "love interest" while playing any of the RSE games...

Were you playing as May? She has no personality when you play as Brendan.

Brendan's behavior can be inturpeted in either a platonic or romantic way. His behavior is both similar to a cocky friendly rival, a friend who can't say what they want to say, or..Well..A love struck ten year old.

Especially his "I just saw a huge green Pokémon flying across the sky!....I wish you were there, <player's name>." line.

I have no idea about Dawn, I've only played as Lucas for a few hours, but Lucas..Meh. I can't say much about him actually. He's just a funny guy. Dawn's lines, from what I've heard, seem pretty boring platonic.

There's nothing romantic in:
"Giggle... Congratulations, (player's name)! And many more happy returns!".
"I thought so! Congratulations, <player's name>! You know, I'm glad we're friends".
"Sigh... To be with that special someone in a wonderful Villa like this... I think it's a nice dream to have."

I've never played HGSS so I can't say anything about Lyra or Ethan either. But don't they cry how they aren't your girl/boyfriend when you visit their grandparents? And Mars in DPP..

Then again, that means nothing.

Last edited:
Especially his "I just saw a huge green Pokémon flying across the sky!....I wish you were there, <player's name>." line.

So that the player character could see it for themselves as he was that amazed?
That line is really up to interpretation.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom