• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gym Leader Rage!

Blue.........BLUE your Trick Room let my Snorlax attack first. 'Nough said, Blue you never attacked after you used Trick Room.......

I'm about to take on Jasmine.
Ahem, that will be horrible.

Anyway, I beat Falkner fine, Bugsy fine, Whitney fine (use X Attack/Special! IT WORKS.).
Morty was annoying and the first gym leader I failed on. Gastly. Pwnd. Gengar. Shadow Ball, Shadow Ball, Shadow Ball, Shadow Ball. I had a Noctowl that didn't know Confusion and a Furret that had Dig and three normal moves (Underlevelling FTW!). Peck Peck Peck Peck. It dies. Peckpeckpeck. Haunter Dead. Sucker Punch. Death. Furret out. It uses curse twice. I win. Haha.

Anyway, I got so annoyed at Chuck after failing ten times that I pulled out a TRU Arceus and let it attack randomly. Yay.

The only gym leaders that gave me trouble were Jasmine (my fault, I didn't have even levels due to my Luxray being used a lot on the way to Cianwood, so my Quilava wasn't up to the challenge yet. A shopping spree at the Poke-mart allowed me to make up for that by being prepared with a ton of recovery items.), and Blue (again, my fault, but this time I didn't realize I can't use Sacred Ash in battle, so it was understudy).

Edit: Clair was a problem too, but I still beat her first try, although after 10 revives, 15 max potions, 5 full restores, and a whopping 30 full heals. I wish the trainers in Johto weren't so wimpy compared to the Gym leaders, although on the other hand, it does explain why the champion is from Kanto.

Last edited:
I did find that odd that Flame Wheel isn't so great in this game. Many times I find myself using Ember instead, unfortunately.

It's nice to know the Flame Wheel won't work as well against Jasmine then. Might just level all the way up to lvl 35 for Quilava just to get him to know Lava Plume. Wish he'd learn Flamethrower earlier instead of in the 40s.

Me too, but that's because Cyndaquil's line has a poor physical Attack compared to its Special, so in the end, even with a higher base power, Fire Wheel is weaker than Ember in Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion's hands.

Personally, as many people here, Whitney and her Miltank gave me a bit of a trouble, but after I paralized it, the thing went a bit better, although it still was hard because of its high defense and Milk Drink.

In the Elite Four, Lance's Dragonites beat me acouple of times. It took me 3 tries and 2 Max Revive's (for my Ampharos and Gyarados) to bring them down.

In Kanto, the hardest one was Sabrina, but mostly because her team was a few levels above mine. And Surge's Electrode's and Raichu's Double Team made it a tough fight, but the only one that did KO my dear Pokés was Sabrina's Alakazam. Ironically, the easiest Leader was Blue. I 1HKO'ed all of his Pokémon except Pidgeot (who anyway, fell down on the second hit).

Jasmine's Steelix was the hardest for me. Ampharos's only attack that would affect Steelix was Tackle, so I had to use my Croconaw which was about level 20. Because of the Sitrus Berry, Croconaw took 4 hits to KO Steelix with Surf. The problem is, Steelix only took 2 hits to KO Croconaw with Iron Tail.

Last edited:
I hate it when you keep hitting 'em then you do something like tackle and they use full restore.

Lance did that to me three times. I'd get them on two or three pixels and he'd Full Restore. Of course, as I mentioned I was <5HP three times and burned through the Revives like they were nothin' so I'm not going to complain.

Blue knocked out Feraligatr and Ampharos once. Brock knocked out Feraligatr once somehow. Besides that I had no trouble with gym leaders, they were easy.

The Gym Leader I have a hard time with was Morty. He was a pain. His damn Ghost/Poison Type Pokemon kept using Hypnosis and Confuse Ray. But in the end I beat him. Thanks to Stantler. His Astonish was a Ghost Type Move. And it was supper effective. so I beat him with Stantler and my starter.

Oh man... I love the challenge. So far, this is how it's been...

Falkner: It was pretty easy. I had the idea to train a Mareep first, and that was great. I tried a Rock-type too, but Electric was the best idea.

Bugsy: His Scyther and U-Turn. Gah, and here I thought I had the advantage with a Flying-type and a Fire-type... I still managed to win on the first go, possibly out of luck and some battling skills.

Whitney: I knew her Miltank was going to be a problem from the beginning, thanks to GSC. Took me three attempts before I got it right, but at least I saved before it started. Good thing I had an all-female team...the Attract never happened - thank goodness. Flaaffy's Thunder Wave/Rock Smash and Hoppip's PoisonPowder were very useful...although the Milk Drink and Super Potion usage got on my nerves.

Morty: Darn it, man. That Gengar was brutal. So glad I had Furret with Foresight. That was my saving grace. Still, one of the most fun battles so far...and maybe one of the longest too.

Chuck: I blame my underlevel team (around low-20s to Lv.27) for my difficulty, but I had Flaaffy's Thunder Wave and Crobat's Flying attacks as a big help. Took three times again to beat him, so it was tough.

Jasmine's for later today or tomorrow, so back to training...!

Falkner- If I remember correctly he was pretty easy, although I believe roost was a problem initially.

Bugsy- Yeah U-turn really threw me off my strategy but he wasn't so bad.

Whitney- I hate attract more than anything, it's so annoying. I would've won this battle easily if Whitney didn't spam attract every time I switched. And because of that I was down to 2 Pokemon out of six equally trained Pokemon (I believe they were equal or higher than Whitney's Miltank).

Morty- Togetic and I believe Espeon really helped me a lot and so Morty was fairly easy, especially since Togetic knew extrasensory.

Chuck- If he wants to be a moron and use focus punch constantly than it's his own fault for basically losing without dealing any damage to my Pokemon.

Jasmine- Steelix was a really difficult one, and knocked out my Magmar, but it wasn't that difficult though. Just wanted to win with Magmar.

Pryce- Nothing notable as far as I remember, but I did beat him fairly easily.

Clair- Similar to Whitney Clair did the most damage to me (in comparison to the other gym leaders). One thing that annoyed me was at first she used a hyper potion, okay good your still paralyzed, then when I brought her Kingdra back to red health she went and used a full restore. Not sure if I used very many full restores/revives/etc, but still pretty tough since my Pokemon I believe were technically weaker.

Kimono Girls- Dear God Why? While entirely optional it's still pretty notable. The thing that killed me the most was Umbreon (since it's defenses are high) and the fact I couldn't change my team at all. Of course I was only really worried about Jolteon since my first Pokemon was Feraligatr. I basically gave up the first time, and went and bought twenty revives and full restores. Used like 8 full restores and 3 revives (if only because my strategy revolved around using it). If I'm not mistaken Umbreon (because of it's defense) and Espeon (because of Psychic) caused me the most trouble. I think once I got through them the rest were fairly easy.

That's technically as far as I gotten, since I haven't challenged the Elite Four quite yet (still training).

Here's my evaluation as far as my recent playthrough. Got 12 Badges so far.

Falkner: Still pretty much a pushover. I'm surprised his Pidgeotto didn't spam Roost all over me. And I only had Totodile at the time!

Bugsy: Onix was my crutch here. Again, this one didn't even implement his strategy. I Rock Throw'd Scyther out of the game because it was too busy using Focus Energy and Leer. LOL

Whitney: Famous for her Miltank, which got walled by Onix. Well, actually, it defeated Onix (Stupid Attract!), but I got a couple of Screeches on it. Then Croconaw Headbutted it out of the game.

Morty: You're not gonna believe this. My Togepi actually defeated this guy almost single-handedly. (Yawn + Extrasensory = win.) But don't get me wrong: he was annoying with that Hypnosis spam.

Chuck: Ho... ly... CRAP. He actually took 4 tries to defeat! That Primeape (Double Team noob!) caused some frustration, but the main problem was his Poliwrath. Hypnosis, Hypnosis, Hypnosis, AAAAAAAAGH!!!!

Jasmine: Actually pretty easy. Her Magnemite couldn't T-Bolt Onix (Yay.), and Steelix was dispatched by a couple of Surfs from Croconaw. (Yes, it was still a Croconaw.)

Pryce: Croconaw finally evolved before I fought this guy. (Yes, I'm underleveled.) But it still took me two tries to beat him. Piloswine was a cakewalk, but I lost that first time to that awful Dewgong...

Clair: Ugh, for my underleveledness, this was tough. But I did win the first time. I'm still angry at that noobish Kingdra, though.

More to come.

Last edited:
Falkner: Roost is a nice addition, and the level up is highly appreciated, but still stupidly easy. Beat him with a Spinarak and a Chikorita. Poisonpowder/Poisonsting was the thing here.

Bugsy: I thought the key here would have been to get Scyther to U-Turn on my Mareep, hope that static works so he's paralyzed, and continue on. No such luck. Had to level up a bit [to Flaffy and my other members of my team being 15] to beat him.

Whitney: I REMEMBER her being difficult. But she was a cakewalk this time. I blame Poisonpowder/reflect. Man Bayleef, you're really doing well for me.

Morty: After reading about his shadow ball spam, I sent out my newly evolved Slowking to battle his Gengar, hoping he would survive one shadow ball. Shadow Ball hit, 11 HP left, disable. Try that shit now suckah. Yawn + confusion after that.

Chuck: Am I the only one impressed with Primeapes Double Team + Focus Punch strategy? Early on in the match I paralyzed him, but that wasn't good enough, until I realised my Bayleef had just learned Magical Leaf. That, and reflect, was basically what saved me versus his Poliwrath too.

Jasmine: ...what a pushover. 10 levels above me and she was still easy. Yaaay.

Kimono Girls- Dear God Why? While entirely optional it's still pretty notable.

No, not optional. I tried :'(. They're kicking my butt so bad and I'm stuck training in johto because pita ethan's all "the kimono girls want to see you" and doesn't take "I visited them" for an answer

the reason why flame wheel is so ineffective against steelix isn't because of quilava's low attack, (though that's a factor) it's because of steelix's immense defense and low sp def. Quilava would probably still deal more damage with flame wheel then ember vs most opponents.
steelix was a piece of cake for me, my politoed OHKO'd it with bubblebeam :D the magnemites were more of a problem, thunderbolt is powerful!

Falkner: Totally lucked out with Mareep, and managed to avoid him Roosting more than about once the entire fight. Wasn't too bad.

Bugsy: Doduo took out most of his gym. Scyther was an issue since it had Quick Attack/Technician and Doduo has all the impassable defensive might of a damp cardboard box, but Quilava was able to finish the job without much trouble.

Whitney: Miltank completely and utterly destroyed me like some terrifying horrible nightmare cow. I eventually managed to pull off an amazing victory on my seventh try when Furret nailed it with a critical flinch Headbutt.

Morty: Got Teddiursa from a friend, who gave it Adamant and Crunch before he sent it over. Needless to say it wasn't a very hard fight.

Pryce: I'm a rebel so I beat this guy first. I was aiming to evolve Teddiursa so he took a lot of the gym on, but I had to switch out towards the end when he started faltering. Mamoswine was the biggest issue since it was 4-8 levels higher than anything I had, but Poliwrath did an amazing job shutting it down.

Chuck: Hypno swept his entire gym until I reached Poliwrath, upon which Ursaring leapt out and just about tore it in two with Double Edge.

Jasmine: Was pretty much just ten minutes of Quilava and Poliwrath high-fiving nonstop. Quilava took care of the first Magnemite, and then Poliwrath came in against Steelix and Focus Punched the rest of her team to death.

MORE WHEN IT HAPPENS, STAY TUNED.

Last edited:
I actually had no problem with Whitney.
Well I did, but I won out of luck. Her Miltanks rollout missed and I got a critical hit. If her Miltank wouldn't had missed I would've lost because I was down to my last pokemon with like 8HP left.

I didn't like Bugsy. He somehow made my Cyndaquil faint within like 2 hits. You know he's on some bullshit there if a bug can make a fire type faint.

Morty pissed me off too and getting through his gym alone made me mad.
Jasmine I want to strangle (although I tried battling her on my friend's HG and I haven't got to her yet on mine. Now I know what to expect though and I don't like it).

Only gym leader that didn't fustrate me in any way was Falkner

Wow, after reading Dman and Than, I feel special. I rolled over the Kimono Girls like their pokemon were old cars and I was a monster truck. But I kept my Cyndaquil pocket-sized until he got Eruption at Lv49 before letting him evolve up, so the whole battle was Eruption, Eruption, Eruption, Eruption, switch to Ampharos, Thunder.

Clair, while now she is my favorite Johto gym leader, the battle with her was full of hax, so I used my Kangaskhan with outrage to take down her two Dragonairs, but when she sent out her Kingdra, Kangaskhan became confused and from the previous Dragonair it was paralyzed, but I managed to defeat Kingdra. Then she sent out Gyarados and every turn afterwords my Pokémon was either paralyzed, hurt itself, or flinched from bite or twister. This lasted for quite a few turns...till I was fed up and switched out to my Ampharos. XD

Wow, after reading Dman and Than, I feel special. I rolled over the Kimono Girls like their pokemon were old cars and I was a monster truck. But I kept my Cyndaquil pocket-sized until he got Eruption at Lv49 before letting him evolve up, so the whole battle was Eruption, Eruption, Eruption, Eruption, switch to Ampharos, Thunder.

Yeah, well, if I had even 1 pokemon at 49 I'd steamroll them too. But when you're trying to do with with lvls 34-39 it's rough

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom