• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HGSS Help Thread (aka Simple Questions/Simple Answers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...:l

My first serious problem with the game discovered.

On the plus side, Pokéthlon >>>>> Contests. Holy crap they're fun.

Yes, however, like Goldenrod's it is also the stupid voltorb flip game if you're not playing the Japanese games.

Thanks.

What a waste of space to have Voltorb Flip twice on the game in two places. If you really wanted to play it again you really could just Fly on over Goldenrod City. I truly dislike how they got rid of Card Flip from the original games.

I know for the Arceus event you choose one of the dragon trios, and that they are able to learn moves that they can't learn back in DPPt. What if you were to transfer the dragon trio from DPPt, would they still be able to learn those moves, or can it only be the ones from the Sinjoh Ruins?

Thanks.

What a waste of space to have Voltorb Flip twice on the game in two places. If you really wanted to play it again you really could just Fly on over Goldenrod City. I truly dislike how they got rid of Card Flip from the original games.

Card Flip wasn't in the Japanese games, so yeah. It was just slots (cool slots IMO, based around Smeargle) in both places. I don't get why people say "you can just play it in the other game corner" when that's how it is in the Japanese games too. :/ The slots are in both locations and they are the same slots.

I know for the Arceus event you choose one of the dragon trios, and that they are able to learn moves that they can't learn back in DPPt. What if you were to transfer the dragon trio from DPPt, would they still be able to learn those moves, or can it only be the ones from the Sinjoh Ruins?
The Dragon Trio Pokemon already know their special moves once you capture them at level 1. (I believe)

So, if you transfer them over they will already know the move so you don't need to worry whether or not they will learn the move.

Card Flip wasn't in the Japanese games, so yeah. It was just slots (cool slots IMO, based around Smeargle) in both places. I don't get why people say "you can just play it in the other game corner" when that's how it is in the Japanese games too. :/ The slots are in both locations and they are the same slots.
Yes, I have heard much about the Japanese slot in Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal Versions. They really sound great, it is a shame that they have to go and change it though. It's funny that you say that you can play both in the same place, I was re-reading over Card Flip and it said the exact same thing. They really could have made the the games much more interesting.

The Dragon Trio Pokemon already know their special moves once you capture them at level 1. (I believe)

So, if you transfer them over they will already know the move so you don't need to worry whether or not they will learn the move.

I know the dragon trio don't know the moves when one chooses one of them, they learn them as they level up.

I basically want a yes or no to whether or not the dragon trio will know the moves if we take them to the move tutor to "re-learn" them.

I know the dragon trio don't know the moves when one chooses one of them, they learn them as they level up.

I basically want a yes or no to whether or not the dragon trio will know the moves if we take them to the move tutor to "re-learn" them.

Only in HGSS, but to be safe, you should test it out first...

Also, I gotta ask this. Is the Groudon/Kyogre from the Embedded Tower marked with the "Fateful Encounter" Status?

No they are not. They merely say "Met at level 50"

Thanks NyaChan...

Well here's another. I have a JP SS and my friend's gonna get a US HG. If I were to trade my Groudon to his game, will it still activate the Jade Orb event?

Thanks NyaChan...

Well here's another. I have a JP SS and my friend's gonna get a US HG. If I were to trade my Groudon to his game, will it still activate the Jade Orb event?

Shoooould, but I have yet to check myself. I'll actually be doing the exact same thing once I get to that point in my US HG. It should work as no matter what language, the pokémon is still from Johto like how event pokémon are still event pokémon.

I'm pretty sure it'll work. I used an American Pikachu-colored Pichu in my JP HeartGold, and I still got Spiky-Eared Pichu!

Besides, I think ANY Groudon and Kyogre will trigger this.

Besides, I think ANY Groudon and Kyogre will trigger this.

No, it has to be a Johto/HGSS Groudon/Kyogre from what I understand. I can check if anyone cares, I have a Sapphire/Hoenn Kyogre in my Pearl game, hold on.

Oh... OK. But I still don't think nationality matters in the games.

Oh... OK. But I still don't think nationality matters in the games.

It apparently does. Oak gave me a speech on the pokémon when I brought both to him, however I did not get the jade orb with a Hoenn Kyogre and a Johto Groudon. He actually references HeartGold in his talk thing too. (ゴールドに かがやく  ハートを もった トレーナー  だけが そのカイオーガと  であえらしい。 tl: Only a trainer whose heart shines gold holds the important Kyogre. (something like that))

Last edited:
I need some help deciding on wether to start my HG(NA version) over. I don't like my current team and am stuck on the elite four. Anyone got some suggestions?

Nationality matters. If you trade for an international pokemon, the EXP bonus for the pokemon knowing multiple trainers rises from 50% to 70%.
I need some help deciding on wether to start my HG(NA version) over. I don't like my current team and am stuck on the elite four. Anyone got some suggestions?
Trade around, or capture some new pokemon and train them up? You should have the money to stuff them with vitamins until they barf and the pokewalker will rack up free levels to get them started off right. I don't see why you would throw away your backpack full of TMs and HMs and re-do everything just because you were a bad trainer and let your friends down the first time through.

Thanks NyaChan...

You can get the Jade Orb with any combination of different language Kyogre and Groudon, as long as they come from HeartGold and SoulSilver versions respectively. For example, you can trigger the event with a Japanese HG Kyogre and a German SS Groudon traded to a Spanish HG version.

Moreover, this time the game doesn't check for the Fateful Encounter flag (Kyogre and Groudon from HGSS don't have that bit set to true in the first place) but rather the original region and version from which they come: Johto (HeartGold) in the case of Kyogre and Johto (SoulSilver) for Groudon.

Question about the new breeding mechanics involving the power items and passing off IVs.

So, I'm planning on breeding a Kecleon with Recover. I have a male Kecleon with max attack IV, so I want to place the um... Power Bracer? Whichever one raises attack EVs [the name isn't all that important, I won't put the wrong one on], on it. Will the female Kecleon 100% for sure come out with the perfect 31 IV for attack? Which then can be followed by breeding with a Wooper with recover, placing the Power Bracer on the new female Kecleon, producing a baby Kecleon with 31 IV in attack and recover? Or is it all percentages, like with the everstone natures?

When passing down IVs using the Power items, can you give one to both parents and pass down a desired IV from both at the same time, or is it a one-or-the-other type deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom