• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you handle HMs?

How do you handle HMs?

• HM Slave

Votes: 165 59.8%
  • Spread them out amoung my team.

Votes: 111 40.2%

• Total voters
Re: HM Slaves

I haven't put non-Surf HMs on my battlers in many years. I typically keep a team of 3-5 active Pokémon, then rearrange my lineup when traveling to compensate for needed HMs. Really, though, HM-capable Pokémon should be able to clear the obstacles when you get the necessary badge, and actually learning the move should be irrelevant (e.g. lv.100 Kabutops is an absolute beast that can't cut down a skinny tree).

I use a slave for the weaker HMs and spread the decent ones between the rest of my team. I still try to train the slave though.

Eh, it really depends. Like right now, on SS, my Nidoking is rocking Strength and Feraligatr is using Surf. I plan on getting rid of Surf for Waterfall when I get to Blackthorn though. I moved a Bibarel over from Platinum, and he has the good old Rock Smash and Cut, and when I get waterfall and rock climb, he'll inherit Surf and Rock Climb.

Most of the HMs are garbage, so I really don't like using them in my team's actual move set. Even Fly is going on a Pidgey so I don't waste a slot on Togekiss :/

I used to teach my existing Pokemon HM moves, but in my later playthroughs, I started to designate a Pokemon as an HM slave, because I am not going to use that Pokemon anyway, so I don't mind wasting moves on them (it's good also because you don't have to release him/her/it and use it for when you need it). I am actually considering reducing my team size so that I can carry my HM slaves with me and not have to trade my intended Pokemon with my PC.

I usually slave my HMs on either a krabby/kingler or a Golduck cos they are the only slaves I can bear having on my team. Pelipper was very useful in Sapphire, though.
I suppose if HMs continue in B/W I'll use Swana, in a similar fashion to Pelipper, as my water/fly slave.

Well I always use HM-slaves
But in my first game sapphire my level 100 Blaziken knew rock smash and I didn't know how to get rid of them :p

I once tried to spread my HMs out but that ended up being a total pain in the rear, so eventually got an HM slave, then grinded levels with my starter to make up the lack of a battler.

I spread them while playing through. After the elite 4 I usually delete them and replace them with good moves. Except surf and waterfall because, you know, those are actually useful.

In Diamond and Platinum I pretty much used HM Slaves since most of the attacking work was done by my starter and a couple of other guys so he could be used as a free switch if necessary. Soul Silver kind of messed that up because HMs weren't as needed as they were in those two games so I found myself not really paying attention to HM slaves. I didn't even have a guy on my team with Surf since I couldn't find one with a good special attack by the time I needed it so I slaved something for all the water moves but that's about it.

Used HM Slaves starting in Gen III. I forgot who I had, probably a Linoone. In Gen IV I gave Surf and Fly to my team while Bibarel and a Flying-type are my slaves.

Since Gen 4, its always been HM slaves. Used to spread them out before then, but I'm a more advanced player now.. I played Platinum and HeartGold with Pokemon I caught to have my OT, then traded to Diamond to be EV trained.

I like to play through the game with the Pokemon I'm gonna use competitively later, so why ruin move sets with HMs?

I do have some water types with Surf and Waterfall however.

I usually have some Pokémon learn HMs exclusively. However, Surf and Waterfall have a place in my main team. Maybe it's because they are just that good?

My Kingdra has Surf and Waterfall, but I have the other HMs and Flash on my 2 HM slaves Bibarel and Skarmory. If only Linoone could learn Rock Climb I would take advantage of Pick-up as an added bonus.

Before HGSS I would spread the HMs around as much as possible but now I don't wanna take up valuable move slots. I wanna take on Tower Tycoon Palmer, to get lots of Battle Points. So I need 4 good moves. HMs just don't CUT it (pardon the pun).

I used HM slaves since Pokemon Silver. But seriously, HM moves should either be more powerful, or not necessary to be taught to a Pokemon. It really limits my team because I always want to get ready a team of six Pokes for Battle Tower/Frontier, and I can never do that.

I've used Geodude for Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb and Tentacool for surf, dive, waterfall and whirlpool.

This is my non-shiny Gyarados's job. Knows rock smash, whirlpool, strength, and maybe surf I think. I have a rock climb Ampharos, a headbutt Golem (OK, that's not an HM but it's definitely a slave move since its main role is outside of battle), a flash Togepi, and a cut Meganium (yes, my starter is reduced to a role as a very limited HM slave; I should write a sad story about it).

Gyarados also is notable for also being a pokerus carrier. Hooray for leaving these guys in PC boxes when they're not needed.

Surf, Waterfall, and Fly are all good moves as others have noted; surf has the highest base damage of any water move under "worst-case" conditions for each. They're all used in my active party.

Dragonite for Surf, Fly, Whirlpool and Waterfall. Rhydon for Cut, Strength, Rock Smash and Rock Climb. Marowak for Headbutt, Ampharos for Flash.

I'm not using HMs for the first time ever during this (my first) run through HG/SS. Rock Smash on my Flaffy actually proved the downfall of Whitney's cow of a Miltank. That and Static.

To start with I spread them about - but once I can I get myself a good slave. Limits useless moves on my Pokemon. Though some HMs are pretty good in battle too.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom