• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas For New Pokemon Moves

Shock Boost (not good with names)
Type: Electric
PP: 10
Status Move
Accuracy: N/A
Effect: The user stimulates its muscles with electricity. Increases the user's Speed by 2 stages and its Attack by 1 stage.

Corrode Acid
Type: Poison
Base Power: 85
Special Move
Accuracy: 95
Effect: This poison is so powerful that it is super-effective against Steel types.

Limit Room
Type: Psychic
PP: 5
Status Move
Effect: For 5 turns, no Pokemon on the field can have its stats changed.

Inherit Wish
Type: Normal
Status Move
Effect: The user faints. The next Pokemon's Ability is changed to the fainted Pokemon's Ability.

Fiery Terrain
Type: Fire
Status Move
Effect: All grounded non-Fire type pokemon on the field without a primary status are burned. Boosts the power of all Fire-type moves by 50% for 5 turns.

Secure
Status Move
Effect: A priority move. Until the end of the turn, held items cannot be used or removed. Has a 50% chance of failing next turn (like Protect).

Unfair Play
Type: Dark
Base Power: 70
Physical Move
Accuracy: 90
Effect: This move's power is doubled if the opponent is burned, poisoned, paralyzed, asleep, or frozen.

Harass
Status Move
Effect: A priority move. The user mocks the opponent and switches out. If the target uses a stat-boosting move during this turn, all stat changes are reversed.

Last edited:
Corrode Acid
Base Power: 85
Special Move
Effect: This poison is so powerful that it is super-effective against Steel types.

Didn't I post something like this earlier here? Your other moves are nice though.

Omega Rupture
Type: Ground (physical)
Damage: 110
Description/Comment: User causes a break in the earth that exposes magma, this move may leave the target with a burn (30%). If Omega Ruby Groudon is a new forme and not a mega evolution this should be a new move it gets. Combines Groudon's themes and traits (earth and lava) into one move.

Alpha Maelstrom
Type: Water (special)
Damage: 110
Description/Comment: User creates a brutal whirlpool around the target, this move may leave the target confused (30%). Same deal with above for Alpha Kyogre. Uses Kyogre's storm and flood making powers as a brutal water move that confuses targets from the spinning.

Delta Quasar
Type: Dragon
Damage: 110 (special)
Description/Comment: User bombards the target with focused starlight from the cosmos, this may leave the target paralyzed (30%). Same above for Rayquaza assuming it gets a Delta theme super form since the name Delta Emerald was trademarked recently. Uses Rayquaza's sky and space(it lives in the Ozone layer and has been seen near or in space in some anime openings) theme to fry the target with cosmic might.

Force Shield
Damage: N/A
Description/Comment: User creates a barrier that absorbs energy, if an attack is blocked the damage type of that move is halved for 3 turns. A stronger version of protect which further adds defensive power by erecting a mini reflect or light screen if it blocks its respective damage type by absorbing energy from the attack to convert it into a barrier. Does not block status moves and has lower success rate if used consecutively.

Goblin Punch
Type: Fairy
Damage: 80 (physical)
Accuracy: 100
Description/Comment: User attacks with a tricky underhanded blow, this move always goes first but fails if the target is not readying an attack however. A fairy type sucker punch. Goblins are classified as a type of fairy and often fight other creatures barehanded. Fairy needs some more physical moves and a goblin based fairy would probably be a physical attacker.

Siren Song
Damage: 60 (special)
Description/Comment: User sings a mysterious song that affects the target's heart, may leave targets of the opposite gender infatuated (50%). Based on well sirens from greek mythology who often sing songs that lure men to their doom. While Sirens are not usually classified as fairies but similar creatures like mermaids are classified as such.

Flare Star
Damage: Varies
Description/Comment: User generates a miniature star that affects opposing targets. It's power varies. A fire type version of magnitude. A flare star is a variable star which means its brightness as seen from earth varies and fluctuates hence the random base power.

Last edited:
Another move idea I came up with:

Unihorn
Base Power: 120
Accuracy: 85%
Effect: The user concentrates mythical power into its horn and attacks the opponent. No side effect (like Power Whip). Only pokemon with horns (i.e. Zebstrika) can learn this move.

Didn't I post something like this earlier here? Your other moves are nice though.

If you did, I'm sorry if I ended up repeating it. But another move like Freeze-Dry needs to exist for Gen VII.

Last edited:
I have ideas for two:

Ion Storm
Type: Electric (status)
Essentially an electric-type Hail, all pokemon not electric- or ground- types would gain damage at the end of each turn from falling lightning. (I'm aware though that ground's defense would be boosted by being immune to TWO weather conditions, but can't really be helped.)

Time Travel
Type: Psychic (status)
Time reverses to the beginning of the previous turn. I wanted a move to be the opposite of Future Sight and this is the idea i came up with. Say for example, you have Rattata and the opponent is using Absol. You use quick attack, opponent uses night slash gets a crit and Rattata faints. You send out Celebi and use Time Travel. Before Absol gets to attack (if Celebi is quicker) the state of play returns to the beginning of this scenario. (If Absol is quicker it would use its attack first and a night slash might be enough to KO celebi, especially a crit. If, however Absol's attack is quicker than Celebi's but doesn't KO Celebi, the Time Travel would be successful.) Because of the broken nature of this move only a very few rare pokes would get to use it. Celebi is the obvious choice to give a move called Time Travel.

Sand Chomp
Type: Ground
Damage: 60 (Physical)
Description/Comment: It's the signature move of Hippopotas/Hippowdon, and a variant of Bite.

Cryo Crash
Type: Ice
Category: Physical
Power: 120
Hits: 1 Pokemon
Effect: User takes 1/8 damage dealt as recoil, 30% of freezing the target.
Description: User surrounds itself with ice and slams into the target with such force it takes damage from the impact.
Comment: An ice counterpart of Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, and Brave Bird

Vortex
Type: Water
PP: 15
Power: 90
Physical attack
The user drags the opponent into a whirlpool on the first turn, then slashes on the next. The foe can't attack while in the whirlpool. (Kind of like a Water version of Sky Drop)

System Limit
Type: Steel
Power: -
Status move
Accuracy: -
The user defies its parameters and changes its Ability to Overdrive. (Overdrive: each move costs 2 PP and Defenses are lowered, but Attack, Sp. Attack and Speed are sharply boosted.) Probably a move that'd be a high-level sig. of inorganic (Porygon family, Golett family, etc) or enhanced (ie Genesect) Pokemon.

Since the new Groudon and Kyogre were revealed to be Ancient/Prehistoric/Primal etc. forms, I chose to give them signature moves.

Primal Quake (Physical)
Type - Ground
Power - 150
PP - 5
Accuracy - 90%

Primal Wave (Special)
Type - Water
Power - 150
PP - 5
Accuracy - 90%

Both attacks prevent the user from attacking during the next turn, basically variations of Giga Impact and Hyper Beam respectively.

Crescendo
Type: Normal (Special)
Power: - (min 40, max 180)
Effect: The user attacks with a sound wave of increasing intensity. The move becomes more powerful as the turn count of the battle increases.
A move designed for drawn out battles, it could potentially be very useful used both by and against stall teams. As a sound move for Normal types though, it's distribution would likely be limited.

Pirouette
Type: Fairy (Physical)
Power: 50
PP: 25
Effect: Uses dizzying spinning movements to strike the target. Make make the opponent confused (20% chance).
An early game physical Fairy type move, because they seriously needed one.

Puppet Master
Type: Ghost
Power: -
Effect: For three turns, the target will be forced to use the last move used by the user.
Sort of like a reverse Encore. Exclusive to Banette.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a Dragon-type move like Pillage or Raid:

Pillage/Raid
Power: Varies/50
Type: Dragon
Category: Physical
Effect: The user raids the target for its held item. The more expensive the item, the more damage done.

Basically, in the way that Fling calculates damage by the item's weight, Pillage/Raid calculates damage by the item's sell-back value (with a few exceptions, such as Sacred Ash, which is incredibly rare and only sells for 100), with more expensive items causing more damage and cheap items doing very little.

Primal Wave (Special)
Type - Water
Power - 150
PP - 5
Accuracy - 90%

Both attacks prevent the user from attacking during the next turn, basically variations of Giga Impact and Hyper Beam respectively.

Hydro Cannon is already a Water type variation of Hyper Beam, and Giga Impact is a physical variation of Hyper Beam (introduced in Gen IV so physical attackers that used to pack Hyper Beam up to Gen III could still use that extreme power with their high Attack stat using a move that isn't resisted by a ton of types (remember, normal type moves were all physical before DP)). Except for normal, each type with a Hyper Beam variation only has one Hyper Beam variation (although the Fire, Grass, and Water ones are exclusive to all of the fully-evolved starters, excluding being Sketched).

And speaking of Hyper Beam variations, here's one I thought of when I discovered that Lucario's final smash in Brawl, Aura Storm, wasn't an actual move.

Aura Storm
type: Fighting (special)
power: 150
accuracy: 90
Description/comment: "The user builds up its aura and releases it in a devastating beam. The user must rest on the next turn, however." Lucario's signature move, giving it a powerful Aura weapon beyond Aura Sphere. And if it can be powered up by Wonder Launcher, just imagine a triple battle where you have a Pokemon with Skill Swap between Lucario and a Pokemon with Wonder Launcher. First turn, Skill Swap Wonder Launcher to the middle Pokemon, maybe boost Lucario's accuracy that turn. Second turn, repeat, only moving Wonder Launcher onto Lucario. Third turn, unleash Aura Storm, more accurate and more powerful. And the opponent's reaction: first turn - "Wait, what are you even doing?" second turn - "Okay, going to power up Aura Sphere, but why accuracy?" third turn - "Bring me my brown pants."

Phantom Rush
Type: Ghost (Physical)
Damage: 120
Description/comment: User charges at the target cloaked in shadows, the user sustains serious damage. Ghost type double edge for those physical built ghosts who lack strong physical stab

Fairy Blessing
Description/comment: User showers itself and its allies with a mysterious light. For five turns the user and its allies are protected from status problems.

Fearless Strike
Damage: 80 (physical)
Description/comment: User builds up great resolve and strikes, this attack is super effective against ghost types.

Caustic Spray
Damage: 90 (special)
Description/comment: User drenches the target with highly corrosive fluid, may leave target with a burn (30%). An acid attack that simulates the burning effect of powerful corrosives.

I'd like a Dark type variation of Thunder/Fire Blast/etc. I'd also like a Dark type variation of Overheat/Leaf Storm or Eruption/Water Spout. I know I'm asking a lot, but the Dark type really needs some kind of boost after Gen VI killed it by making it near completely useless when compared to Ghost.

I'd also like to see variations of Quick Attack for every type that doesn't already have one, preferably. Same with Thunder/Fire Blast/etc. Sounds a bit to evenly distributed, but at the same time I don't like when types get the short end of the move availability stick.

Fairy Blessing
Description/comment: User showers itself and its allies with a mysterious light. For five turns the user and its allies are protected from status problems.

Eh, just a duplicate of Safegaurd... Then again there are quite a few duplicate status moves. Although, I do like the idea of a "Fairy Blessing" move that restores 1/16 HP to all Pokemon on the user's side of the field.

I'd like a Dark type variation of Thunder/Fire Blast/etc. I'd also like a Dark type variation of Overheat/Leaf Storm or Eruption/Water Spout. I know I'm asking a lot, but the Dark type really needs some kind of boost after Gen VI killed it by making it near completely useless when compared to Ghost.

I'd also like to see variations of Quick Attack for every type that doesn't already have one, preferably. Same with Thunder/Fire Blast/etc. Sounds a bit to evenly distributed, but at the same time I don't like when types get the short end of the move availability stick.

Fairy Blessing

Eh, just a duplicate of Safegaurd... Then again there are quite a few duplicate status moves. Although, I do like the idea of a "Fairy Blessing" move that restores 1/16 HP to all Pokemon on the user's side of the field.

I must have made an error. I thought Safeguard only protected the user in multi battles (I don't use it that much) so I was trying to make a better version of it. Your idea for healing would be much better in that case.

It can be a tad difficult to make strong dark type moves since they're mostly about dirty fighting which sort of implies the user isn't strong enough to fight directly and needs to use cheap tricks to win. At least that's what I think. I'm trying to come up with something for those stats but I'm having difficulty.

^ Yeah, Safeguard protects from all the normal status conditions for 5 turns for the whole team. But there are plenty of duplicate status moves already iirc.

New ideas for moves:

Fairy's Wings
(Physical)
Power: 65
Accuracy: 85
Priority: +1
User uses magical wings to quickly fly into the air and then strike first in the next turn. (Like Fly)

Fairy's Soul
(Special)
Power: 140
Focuses magical power in its soul for a turn and unleashes energy the next. (It's basically a Special Sky Attack)

Light Spark
(Special)
Power: 30
PP: 20
Priority: +2
Super fast attack where the user shoots an electrically charged wave at the target. Has a 60% of Paralysing the target.

Flash Freeze: Freezing variant of Sing.

Knockout Kick
Physical
Power: 85
Steel-type
The user delivers a devastating kick to the opponent with a leg as hard as iron. It has a 10% chance to put the target to Sleep.

Being a kick-based move, this would allow some Fighting-types to carry it for dealing with Fairies, and goes with Iron Head for a physical-type Steel move that could see different distribution.

Rolling Slice
Physical
Power: 50
Priority: -2
Dark-type
The user dodges an opponent's strike and delivers a slash attack to the target's flank. The user evades an opponent's attack and strikes them from behind. Fails if used consecutively or after Protect or Detect was used.

More dirty play from Dark-types, this one is sort of an anti-Sucker Punch that combines it with Protect. However, being a decreased priority move that can at most be used every other turn keeps you from abusing it to dodge incoming attacks repeatedly.

Gut Jab
Physical
Power: 80
Fighting-type
The user delivers a powerful punch to the user's stomach. Has a 20% chance to make the target flinch.

Nothing fancy here, just a Fighting-type attack with flinch potential.

Icy Water
Special
Power: 80
Water-type
The user crashes a wave of chilled water on the opponent. Does super-effective against damage opponents weak to Ice-type attacks.

Give Water-types an alternative to running Ice-type attacks to deal with Dragon and Grass-types, but is not as powerful or accurate as Surf, so they have to give that up. It also is technically not an Ice-type attack like Flying Press is Fighting/Flying, so no 4x damage if the target is 4x weak to ice or is weak to both Water and Ice.

Berserk
Status
Normal-type
The user drives itself into an enraged frenzy. Sharply increases Attack and Special Attack, but disallows non-damaging attacks or switching.

High-risk high-reward. Sort of like Outrage in that you're locked into using attacking moves and can't switch, but you get huge offensive potential. Make it count.

Stalactite
Physical
Power: 90
Ground-type
The user digs up a massive spear of earth and hurls it at the foe. Has a 20% chance to lower Defense

Physical Ground-type attack compatible with Sheer Force and Life Orb, but lower base power and a bit worse accuracy than Earthquake so not for everyone.

Hand-Off
Status
Normal-type
The user switches out and passes off its held item to a teammate. Fails if the user does not have a held item or the teammate has a held item.

A switch move with a different utility than Baton Pass, you don't pass on status, you pass on an item. Can allow you to get better usage a teammate that got hit with Knock Off or had a one-use item they used and then had to switch out and lost its effects.

Last edited:
Move: Virus
Type: Normal or Poison
Acc: 100
Status move
When used ,by pokemon not in the Porygon line, the move will poison the target. If Porygon, Porygon2, or Porygon-Z use Virus the opponent's speed will harshly fall.
Computer viruses slow down computers and since Porygon can go into computers and software ,that is why it gets a different use of the move.

Move: Overcharge
Type: Electric
Acc: -
Status Move
The user maximizes its special attack stat in exchange for HP equal to half its max HP.
This is an equivalent to Belly Drum but for electric types! (or other pokemon capable of producing a charge)

Move: Exchange
Status Move
The user switches types with the target.
Plain and simple move.

Move: Solar Flare
Base Power: 80
Special Attack move
This attack lowers the target's accuracy, as well as negating the Ability Magnet Pull, and the move Magnet Rise.

Last edited:
Pebble Shot
Type: Rock
Damage: 40 (Physical)
User throws small stones at high speed, this move always moves first. Rock type priority move to give slow rock types an increase in speed and to ground a certain bird and beetle that have become a bit too common.

Brave Blast
Damage: ? (Special)
User gathers its courage and attacks the target. The move grows more powerful the more the user likes its trainer. A special version of return for all those special type conversion ability users and special attackers in general.

Hate Buster
Damage: ? (Special)
The user attacks the target with great rage. The move grows more powerful the less the user likes its trainer. A special version of frustration for similar intents and purposes as Brave Blast.

Cripple Strike
Damage: 90 (Physical)
The user attacks the target's legs with ferocity, It may lower the target's speed (10%). Dark type version/equivalent to flamethrower/thunderbolt etc. Closest I'll ever come up with considering what the Dark type actually is. Based on the idea of a ruthless fighter breaking an opponent's leg to hinder them in a fight, we've also seen this in the anime with other moves like when Paul battled Roark not a clean move in either case.

Copied from my post in Random Messages.

Flammable gas (name subject to change)
Special
BP: 70
Accuracy: 95%
20% chance to poison
Fills the area with flammable gas, even if attack doesn't hit/affect foe

Ignite (name subject to change)
Special
BP: 120
Accuracy: 90%
30% chance to burn
Only works with gas in the field. Makes gas disappear after use.

Both would be learned by a lot of poison types.

Edit: each use of the gas move would create two layers of gas, the max amount. With two layers of gas, Ignite would have 120 BP, and 60 BP with one layer.

thunder strike

this move deals more damage against bigger pokemon(because lightning always strikes the tallest object)

accuracy 100

sacrafice

cuts your hp and raises special attack

rain of fire

typhlosion signature move fire version of earthquake

power 100

accuracy 100

giga fang

type dark

power 120

accuracy 70 30% chance of flinching

enchanted leaves(not to be confused with magical leaf)

power 90

accuracy 100

effect 10% chance of seeding the enemy(they take a leech seed)

acid storm

power 120

accuracy 100

effect:poisons the user

Back
Top Bottom