• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could remove any two things from the Pokemon Games, what would they be?

Stormfront12

No Path To Follow
Reaction score
The things I would remove:
IVs - They make playing competitively a lot harder and make my Adamant, 252 attack, 252 speed, level 100 Sceptile Named Maverick "technically" not perfect.

Pikachu.

Id'e remove Chansey ans Blissey, I hate walls in general but these two are especially annoying!

Confusion and attraction. Both are rage-inducing, bullshit attempts at fake difficulty.

IVs: I get sick of all this IV stuff. Everyone wants a "perfect" Pokemon, so they go to great lengths to get one, but it becomes annoying as hell to deal with those people. It's one reason why I hate going onto wifi battles. Pokemon is supposed to be fun, not a warzone of monsters. If they could do away with IVs, then everyone would be on the same level for good, so it only becomes a matter of moves and training VS "great genetics".

Evolite: I've come to hate that item with every fiber of my being. Sure, it was a good idea at first, but now it's too dominating. If its removed, then we wouldn't have to deal with walls like Chansey on a regular basis.

IVs: I get sick of all this IV stuff. Everyone wants a "perfect" Pokemon, so they go to great lengths to get one, but it becomes annoying as hell to deal with those people. It's one reason why I hate going onto wifi battles. Pokemon is supposed to be fun, not a warzone of monsters. If they could do away with IVs, then everyone would be on the same level for good, so it only becomes a matter of moves and training VS "great genetics".

Evolite: I've come to hate that item with every fiber of my being. Sure, it was a good idea at first, but now it's too dominating. If its removed, then we wouldn't have to deal with walls like Chansey on a regular basis.

Another person that hates IVs! yay!

Eviolite isn't a problem when you have knock off.

IVs. They were originally meant to make Pokemon like people in a sense that no 2 individuals are the same. But when everyone breeds for 5-6 31ers it becomes redundant, might as well cut out the middle man.

Pikaclones. Something completely unoriginal that attempts to succeed by piggybacking of another's success? Um no thanks, especially since they tend to suck and be annoying.

The lack of access to older Pokémon in BW1. I'm afraid it didn't really make much sense when you find older Pokémon in the wild anyway (albeit in post-game and BW2). (I'm not buying the theory of Pokémon escaping from the Gen 4/5 transfer facility, as I consider this as purely for gameplay.) In addition, with a couple of exceptions, the new Pokémon I used were unreliable in the main story. Especially Purrloin, and Blitzle; if they can't even take resisted hits, and if they can't even reliably serve as type diversifications for the early stretch, they might as well be removed/replaced entirely. (Thank goodness Umbreon and Mareep were obtainable in BW2!)

Many of the unnecessary artistic licence in Hoenn's geography. This includes having the whole region tropical, cities that are Hawaiian/Southern Pacific, etc. Firstly, they could have used buildings from the Amami Islands, Okinawa, Taiwan, or Southern China, and that would still indicate a warmer region without being too out of place. Secondly, if the the tropical scene was so important, why didn't GF actually use Guam or Hawaii in the first place? Johto and Kalos are much better in this regard, because the artistic licence implemented are mostly what actually necessary for to be a Pokémon game.

As for Pikachu, if you don't like it, don't use it. Only Yellow forced you to use Pikachu as a starter, and even in FRLG, it's not as essential against Misty if you have Bulbasaur. I can understand Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, and Dedenne being redundant and annoying, but again, no-one is forcing you to use them. (Emolga in BW1 is a bit of an exception, due to the only other choice being the aforementioned Blitzle until after halfway through the game.)

Last edited:
As @Bittersweet; above said remove HMs, this is most important for me. Make it a Key Item or a Skill, instead of a move taking up a spot.

Also remove many of the redundant moves/items that already have the same effect as another move/item.

Gen VI Exp Share mechanic - this is gamebreaking imo

HMs - On one hand, I find the fact that HM slaves are often necessary to move about freely rather annoying and have experienced the feeling of being blocked by a mere bush. It'd be better to turn them into key items, or at least make them into some kind of special field ability that doesn't take up move space. On another hand, I really like the idea of optional puzzling areas (ie the Trick House) making use of various HM moves to challenge the player for rare items and other prizes. Though you don't need HMs to make an area challenging or require some puzzling to get through. Just an idea.

I'd mention IVs, but they've been covered quite a bit already.

An evil team that wants to rule the world and uses legendary Pokemon. Like let me just play the game.

2nd thing would be the amount of legendary Pokemon in the game. Just have events or something.

I'm actually with the IV camp, because let's face it--apart from Hidden Power, Trick Room, and the few sets that for some reason *require* 30 IV instead of 31, everyone tries to get perfect stats. Even in Trick Room, a 0 Spe would be considered a "perfect" stat. So if everyone is playing with the same baseline across the board, then let's just cut to the chase and make it equal for everyone. This way, what matters most is how a Pokemon is trained.

I definitely wouldn't change the EV system. I think its good that we can't maximize all stats at once because then we'd run into the same issue as IVs. If everyone had max stats on everything, then there's really no point other than senseless grinding and time wasting. However, having to choose what to train means the difference between making a Bulky Pokemon that can take a hit but not hit back as hard, or making a stronger sweeper that goes down easier. The variation in EV-training allows for diversity in movesets. The variation in IV breeding usually just results in subpar Pokemon.

The second thing I'd get rid of is event status for a lot of the event legendaries--especially if their debut game is being remade. It was a treat to see Deoxys in ORAS, but it was never really tied to anyone's plot. Arceus is linked to Palkia/Dialga/Giratina, and Darkrai/Shaymin's plot could easily be reincorporated without an event. Genesect would have made a great post-game for B2W2 as a last ditch effort by the Shadow Triad/Colress.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Keldeo really could have had a story regarding it becoming more "resolute", especially since its form change is literally just for aesthetics.

Last edited:
All the changes to the Pokemon cries that were introduced in Gen VI. A lot of the older cries sound much better (lookin' at you, Staraptor!) and then there's Pikachu. Eugh.

Pikaclones. I already don't like Pikachu, but these just take "electric type" and "rodent with circles on face" and slaps it onto a slightly different body. No originality, cheap knockoff of a Pokemon I despise, and they aren't very good Pokemon in-game either.

houndoom

that's all I got right now

IVs - They make playing competitively a lot harder and make my Adamant, 252 attack, 252 speed, level 100 Sceptile Named Maverick "technically" not perfect.

Pikachu.
an adamant sceptile can never be perfect anyway lol

Edit: okay, an unburden set maybe, that's it tho

I like IVs because they offer stat variety among species while not being too difficult to deal with with gen VI's new mechanics. Also like how they're basically genes. I don't get why everyone on this thread seems to h8 them so much.

I would remove HMs from being necessary moves to travel around the Pokémon region and just have a key item for all of the actions that those HM moves usually do. I know there is already the Eon Flute in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire but the animation takes too long especially if you select it by accident. I'm not sure what my second thing to remove would be.

Last edited:
I would say HMs (for the same reason as everyone else) and only having one save file. I'd like to start another game without deleting another.

houndoom

that's all I got right now

Pikachu.
an adamant sceptile can never be perfect anyway lol

Edit: okay, an unburden set maybe, that's it tho

I like IVs because they offer stat variety among species while not being too difficult to deal with with gen VI's new mechanics. Also like how they're basically genes. I don't get why everyone on this thread seems to h8 them so much.

An adamant sceptile is not Perfect? Special ones are a disgrace!
Sure the higher special attack, but that is a developer mistake!

First look at sceptile's design and mega design. both have spikes and blades and all that cool stuff. mega sceptile could literally stab you with his tail.

Second, look at his learnset. Across all ways of learning moves there is about 7 or so special moves while a MASSIVE amount of Physical ones.

Here is one more thing that is weird: In ORAS they added his mega. it slightly boots attack, but buffs special attack more which is dumb. But then they added Dual chop, another PHYSICAL MOVE, to his learnset. up special attack, add physical move. Sure that makes sense.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom