• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it called a Pokemon fic if you don't involve Pokemon but the characters are used?

Re: Is it called a Pokemon fic if you don't involve Pokemon but the characters are us

Actually I've been wondering this, for my story, where Pokemon are relegated to a very minor role in the story.
I imagine it would be, considering Pokemon is the franchise name more than that of the creatures. I've seen comics on DeviantArt that involve the characters but no Pokemon, and they are still called "Pokemon" related stories.

Re: Is it called a Pokemon fic if you don't involve Pokemon but the characters are us

I would say so, yes.

A pokemon fic is any fic involving anything pokemon.

If it's the Pokemon world to some degree, then yes, it's a Pokemon fic in my opinion. I don't think there's a set of rules really but Pokemon refers to the frachise as well as to the creatures! =)

I have two one-shots without any Pokemon in sight, that only use the human characters. They still count as Pokemon fics :)

...is this question because of the new Award categories, by chance? Seems oddly specific, and I'd like to clear any doubts in the community's mind :sweatlol:

One of my one-shots, Falling, mentions Pokemon a grand total of once, and even then, not by name. So yeah, it doesn't necessarily have to have Pokemon to be a Pokemon fic.

Heh, why not? Red Dahlia by Hellion did it, why can't another fic do it as well?

I was actually wondering the same question and actually could go either way on it. I feel that has soon as you include an element from one of Pokémon's canons (Characters, creatures, locations, etc.) then it's a pokémon fic, unless you introduce elements from different canons then it's a crossover. So I would say it's a pokémon fic.

Though I can understand the argument of someone who says it's not because the primary element of the franchise (capturing, training, battling pokémon) isn't present.

Come to think of it' only one of my fic really features pokémon and battles, and it's a shipping fic. The others are usually either not pokémon or just about the characters.

I'd say so. Chapter 3 of Relaunch Sequence has no Pokémon in it, despite Slowpoke being mentioned once. I still consider it a Pokémon fanfic because it uses the characters from the franchise.

Well, the characters are part of the Pokémon franchise so, yes, it is a Pokémon fic.

As long as the word "Pokemon" exists in your fic, yes, it's a Pokemon fic

I think it sort of needs to involve Pokemon in some manner. The characters can easily be stereotyped characters mildly based on the Pokemon counterparts. Pokemon make a Pokemon story unique to itself, with unique creatures that can influence the storyline. If it just involves characters, I don't count it personally

If there are any species of Pokemon in the story, it's a Pokemon fan fic.

If the story only uses human characters with no Pokemon in sight, then it is an Alternate Universe (AU) fan fic. It still counts as Pokemon, however.

Thanks. NOW my idea is clear for my next fic!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom