• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is the hatred for the vA's being replaced over?

The other two do as well.

Wrong, Rica sounds WAY too deep right now and her yelling is hard on the ears, Sarah just can't plain voice Ash well.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because the way you feel about Veronica Taylor is the way I feel about Matsumoto Rika.

I'll say Rica was great back in BW and before, but now her voice has become too deep for Ash.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh my God where do I even begin...misnaming attack names...misnaming pokemon...giving game characters new English names (Lorlei, Tabitha, Shelly) because they were too stupid to realize that they already had official English names...not understanding how Abilities work in Generation 3...the numerous Trainer's Choice gaffs (they really did not understand Type match-ups too well)...the list goes on and on.

So a few errors makes the anime you watch worse? They don't get in the way of enjoyment, at all. All those mistakes can be because of the fact that 4Kids doesnt play the video games like the average fan. TPCi may have this, but they also made mistakes as well, just not as many. But shouldn't that be worse? The Pokemon Company International, calling a Ground Type move, an Earth Type move. And don't forget about the terrible, terrible script TPCi put together, I'd take all those errors over a dub with bad voices, bad scripts, bad dub BGM, censoring JPN culture, etc.

Last edited:
XYZ Nexus said:
Wrong, Rica sounds WAY too deep right now and her yelling is hard on the ears

Agree to disagree.

So a few errors makes the anime you watch worse?

You claimed that "4Kids got nearly everything correct." I provided examples of why that claim is clearly wrong.

Maybe you shouldn't make bullshit claims in the first place?

XYZ Nexus said:
a dub with bad voices, bad scripts, bad dub BGM, censoring JPN culture, etc.

Dude you just described the 4Kids dub perfectly.

Agree to disagree.

Agreed.

You claimed that "4Kids got nearly everything correct." I provided examples of why that claim is clearly wrong.

Maybe you shouldn't make bullshit claims in the first place?

I said "nearly", I didn't say that they never made errors.

Saying that kanji, onigiri, and whatever gets edited with paint is more important than good VAs, good scripts, and good dub BGM is bullshit.

Dude you just described the 4Kids dub perfectly.

Haha, what a laugh, not. That was the TPCi dubbing, but you wouldn't know that seeing that you think everything 4Kids touches turns to garbage. Look at how many people say they enjoy the 4Kids dubbing, the scripts, voicing, dub BGM, etc. And look at how many enjoy TPCi's dubbing, oh wait nearly nobody likes it. And I don't think many people outside of Japan enjoys the JPN ORG. Look at the facts, 4Kids had many good things about their Pokemon dub, but, it seems everyone hates them for a wrong reasons, such as editing out JPN culture which is meant for cultural streamlining, some errors that can be easily forgiven seeing that they got so many things correct. I can go on with this all day if I have to.

But I'll just stop here right now.

Last edited:
...the numerous Trainer's Choice gaffs (they really did not understand Type match-ups too well)...the list goes on and on.

I pity the poor person who can't understand why their Arbok, who is at Level 100, is at max friendship, has been touched with every single stone and had goodness knows how many Ax2, Bx3, L, R, Lx2 codes, STILL hasn't evolved into Seviper.

Buuuut I digress. If there's one voice I really struggled to get used to, it was James. He sounded way too....off.

XYZ Nexus said:
Saying that kanji, onigiri, and whatever gets edited with paint is more important than good VAs, good scripts, and good dub BGM is bullshit.

Well it's a good thing I never said that then.

but you wouldn't know that seeing that you think everything 4Kids touches turns to garbage

Pokemon is 4Kids' best dub. It sticks to the Japanese version more than any of their other dubs did, the editing wasn't as severe, they actually *kept* some of the Japanese music, some of the voice acting was OK...the company's produced much, much worse.

Still, it doesn't do anyone any good to pretend that bad voice acting, bad writing, bad music, and bad edits are all problems unique to the TPCI dub.

And I don't think many people outside of Japan enjoys the JPN ORG

That probably has entirely to do with the fact that it hasn't been made legally available outside Japan. It's kind of hard to become a fan of a version that the powers that be refuse to sell you.

I for one, count my blessings and I'm grateful for how far 4Kids took Pokemon in spite of a few silly policies enforced by a few higher ups. I suppose part of it is the initial shock of having realized we took them for granted when 2006 happened. The other is that the adventures and characters felt more genuine during that era of the anime; I know, I know, its debatable among hardcore anime fans and some Pokemon fans. But for somebody who watched little anime, none of it in raw and only minimal subbed, I was never motivated to critique anime dubs to begin with. The few bad policies of 4Kids are a passing afterthought compared to my appreciation and enjoyment of Pokemon rooted in my growing up with the English dub. As strange as it sounds, I can't help but judge Pokemon on 4kids standards, because its simply my personal experience, what I know Pokemon to be. Likewise Dogasu judges it based on the original Japanese because its obviously what Pokemon is to him. Pokemon in its various forms can be praised/criticized but I feel like its important to stay positive and remind everyone there's no right or wrong way to enjoy it.

And plus, the chances of them successfully hiring the original voice actor from the original movie after like 14 years when he couldn't even be bothered to voice him in the hour long sequel the very next year?

Just an FYI, Phillip Bartlett died in 2001, which is presumably why he wasn't used in Mewtwo Returns or Melee. He does have small parts in Pokemon Live and Puzzle League, so it's almost certainly not the case that he was disinterested. They would probably have used a new VA for movie 16 anyway, but I felt the need to include this here.

Part of me would like to do a comparative study with other franchises or in other countries that have gone through similar transitions. Anyone know of any?

Ok, now I feel like a c**t for saying that last line. I didn't know that... May he R.I.P. But they were definitely going to use a different VA for movie 16. Different Mewtwo, different actor. I still have no idea why they couldn't just use the same Mewtwo. At the end of Mewtwo Returns, he was shown in a place that looked like NYC, which is what Unova (and specifically Castelia City) are based on. They could've easily had him captured by Unova or Kalos scientists or something and experimented on to be able to Mega Evolve without using stones. Wouldn't have been that big of a change, honestly.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom