• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN059: The Lost Sarunori! Who is the Trainer!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I actually really liked that Ash's true ace in BW wasn't an Starter. It was a pretty unique take, and Krookodile did a LOT of work. And I loved how versatile it's movepool was too. I just wish Ash's mons got better/more diverse moves in general.
They can do that with Lucario in this gen.
Yeah, they can, but unfortunately that doesn't mean they will. The anime notably favors coolness and easiness of animation over coverage and type diversity when it comes to deciding what moves should each Pokemon use. Each move also has to look distinct from the rest, meaning it's rare for, say, Wing Attack and Steel Wing to be used in one moveset for example, due to both moves having extremely similar animations (they both involve a Pokemon's wings glowing a bright white and striking the opponent with them). And to be completely fair, that reasoning is completely understandable, since if too many of a Pokemon's moves look similar it can appear as though that Pokemon has a smaller movepool than they actually do. Case in point: Pikachu's battles in the OS could appear extremely repetitive due to his moveset being Thunderbolt, Thunder, Quick Attack, and Agility. Thunderbolt and Thunder are nigh-indistinguishable between each other appearance-wise in the anime, as are Quick Attack and Agility (or at least they were at the time. It's entirely possible that Agility would be animated differently today), meaning that while Pikachu had a full moveset in theory, in practice it looked like he only had two moves: shoot things with electricity and run hella fast. The writers probably want to avoid ever doing that again, which is why Pikachu's single rotating move, while always an Electric-type attack, is also always something that looks very different from Thunderbolt.

That said, I do agree that it would be nice seeing more Pokemon use moves of varied types. I admit that I tend to be more lenient on the writers for not giving Pokemon movepools with good coverage to Pokemon whose species already have shallow movepools in the games to begin with (such as is the case with most pure Grass-types), since they don't have a lot to work with there, but Pokemon with wide movepools have less of an excuse. Lucario is actually a good example, since in the games it has by far one of the most diverse movepools of any Fighting-type, so there's plenty that the writers can give to a Lucario that both provides good coverage and is made up of attacks that look distinct from each other. But strangely they never do, since almost every Lucario we've seen tends to have practically all of its moves be Fighting-type attacks, including Ash's. It's pretty weird.

Something I have noticed too is that they seem to like to have both an ''Close Range'' and ''Long Range'' attack on nearly every Pokemon. Like Pikachu as an example: Quick Attack is more of a close ranged attack, since it's pretty much a glorified Tackle, but Thunderbolt can hit targets far away. Some are even used as mixed moves, like Electroweb, that acts as either an net to halt the enemy on it's tracks, or as an makeshift shield to protect Pikachu. It's actually REALLY rare to find a Pokemon who is either totally close ranged or totally long ranged too, when you stop to think about it.

Lucario is actually a good example, since in the games it has by far one of the most diverse movepools of any Fighting-type, so there's plenty that the writers can give to a Lucario that both provides good coverage and is made up of attacks that look distinct from each other. But strangely they never do, since almost every Lucario we've seen tends to have practically all of its moves be Fighting-type attacks, including Ash's. It's pretty weird.

All Lucarios must have Aura Sphere or Bone Rush at some point. Thems the rules.

My thoughts on if the Grookey goes to...

Ash - Matches his personality, but considering that Ash is within a high position of the Super Class, it would be hard for Grookey to get proper development, and considering Ash’s team has had barley any episodes lately, Grookey might be hindered if he goes with him. I don’t really think Dracovish is a member of Ash’s battling team to be honest, but that’s just a hunch, and perhaps Ash already has his full team. However, my last wish in this series is to see classics like Infernape and Greninja back, and that would only be achievable with Grookey not being on Ash’s team.

Goh - Could develop under him, and help Goh as well in terms of being carefree. However, having all three starters is risky. Ash has had all three starters on three occasions, but only Kanto was properly developed as they have had multiple seasons/regions to shine. Unova struggled to share the spotlight, and Totidile was badly handled in Johto. Even if Grookey was to rise under Goh, it would hinder Sobble. Although, if they are to bestow Grookey upon Goh, it would be cool to see Grookey rub off onto Sobble - give Sobble a more adventurous look in life, and help its growth to be like Inteleon.

Hop - Natural pick, but seeing how Hau was handled in Alola, this may be the worst to show off Grookey with, only cause I only see Hop appearing about six times in the series.

Iris - This would actually be my favourite. Not only does it match her personality, but would be a dope way of introducing her back. Now, if she was to have Grookey, obviously Iris wouldn’t be around long enough to show it off, but I have a feeling Iris will give Grookey to Goh as a gift. Yes, this contradicts my previous statement of Goh, but I have a feeling this way, Sobble will learn to be more open and adventurous with Grookey, which will share the screen time nicely between them.

All Lucarios must have Aura Sphere or Bone Rush at some point. Thems the rules.
Aura Sphere is always a given cuz, let's be real, it's pretty much Lucario's signature move. Others may have it as well, but Lucario is always gonna be associated with it.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the Lucario species using Aura Sphere constantly (fun fact, the only Lucario to date that was never seen using that move was Kukui's), what I do have a problem with is giving them three other Fighting-type attacks after that. Because Lucario movesets are usually gonna be something along the lines of: Aura Sphere/close-ranged Fighting-type attack no.1/close-ranged Fighting-type attack no.2/Filler move (usually Bone Rush, but not always). And, just saying, it gets kinda boring when you realize that Lucario in the games can learn a wide array of crazy moves like Psychic, Blaze Kick, or Flash Cannon, all of which might be really cool to see an anime Lucario use.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the Lucario species using Aura Sphere constantly (fun fact, the only Lucario to date that was never seen using that move was Kukui's), what I do have a problem with is giving them three other Fighting-type attacks after that. Because Lucario movesets are usually gonna be something along the lines of: Aura Sphere/close-ranged Fighting-type attack no.1/close-ranged Fighting-type attack no.2/Filler move (usually Bone Rush, but not always). And, just saying, it gets kinda boring when you realize that Lucario in the games can learn a wide array of crazy moves like Psychic, Blaze Kick, or Flash Cannon, all of which might be really cool to see an anime Lucario use.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ash's Lucario swap out Reversal or Force Palm for something, but hard to say what would go in. Steel-type move seems fairly plausible...

If Ash digs out that Steel Z it would make sense.

My thoughts on if the Grookey goes to...

Ash - Matches his personality, but considering that Ash is within a high position of the Super Class, it would be hard for Grookey to get proper development, and considering Ash’s team has had barley any episodes lately, Grookey might be hindered if he goes with him. I don’t really think Dracovish is a member of Ash’s battling team to be honest, but that’s just a hunch, and perhaps Ash already has his full team. However, my last wish in this series is to see classics like Infernape and Greninja back, and that would only be achievable with Grookey not being on Ash’s team.

Goh - Could develop under him, and help Goh as well in terms of being carefree. However, having all three starters is risky. Ash has had all three starters on three occasions, but only Kanto was properly developed as they have had multiple seasons/regions to shine. Unova struggled to share the spotlight, and Totidile was badly handled in Johto. Even if Grookey was to rise under Goh, it would hinder Sobble. Although, if they are to bestow Grookey upon Goh, it would be cool to see Grookey rub off onto Sobble - give Sobble a more adventurous look in life, and help its growth to be like Inteleon.

Hop - Natural pick, but seeing how Hau was handled in Alola, this may be the worst to show off Grookey with, only cause I only see Hop appearing about six times in the series.

Iris - This would actually be my favourite. Not only does it match her personality, but would be a dope way of introducing her back. Now, if she was to have Grookey, obviously Iris wouldn’t be around long enough to show it off, but I have a feeling Iris will give Grookey to Goh as a gift. Yes, this contradicts my previous statement of Goh, but I have a feeling this way, Sobble will learn to be more open and adventurous with Grookey, which will share the screen time nicely between them.

I am hesitant to go for anyone but a main because that's not how starters are ever treated. Ash or Goh....and frankly I can only beg for Ash. I don't want to deal with another backlash and he can probably do a rotation well enough.

He should also get more episodes with his mons, but hey Goh exists...

well there still is the preview for Grookey and the episodes after after the episode and rememeber when Iris caught dragonite before its episode aired or the Pokemon fashion flash where Misty picked up Vulpix but got burned and got caught by Brock I am sure there was an image back then before it aired in the us . Think about it

He should have like:

-Aura Sphere
-Drain Punch/ Brick Break/ Power Up Punch (why this move is shown as such a big deal when it's not that strong will ALWAYS amaze me)
-Flash Cannon
-Bone Rush could be nice, but maybe Fire Punch or something like Shadow Claw could also be nice.

Totodile got a lot of stuff in side episodes. He didn't get much outside of being crushed by Whitney gym wise, but he got some work in side battles.

Whirl anyone?
Really wish Misty got Totidile, cause her Corsola is really forgettable and it would have been better for Totidile in general. I mean, Corsola wasn’t even used in the battle against Ash in the Water Cup...

Whirl is the only time it got focus. And I'll list another worst development starter: Snivy
As I said before, it’s no coincidence of how Totidile and Snivy weren’t properly developed in their respective seasons, mainly cause they had to share the spotlight with the two other starters, of their region, on Ash’s team.
Main issue I have with Goh taking up Grookey.

As I said before, it’s no coincidence of how Totidile and Snivy weren’t properly developed in their respective seasons, mainly cause they had to share the spotlight with the two other starters, of their region, on Ash’s team.
Too sad. Bayleef and Cyndawuil were good in Johto unlike Totodile. Pignite was meant to be an ace but was easily overshadowed by Krookodile. Even though I like Oshawott, his strenght in battle was given up halfpoint. It's sad considering all the kanto starters were badasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom