• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

Personally, I vote we use Typhlosion and either Meganium or Feraligatr as the mascots. These are Kanto and Johto sequels, and using the final forms of the Johto starters would be a wonderful callback to how it all began. The Gen II starters are generally the most forgotten trio, so it'd be nice to put them in the spotlight for once.

Um, that would definitely prioritize Johto over Kanto. Not to mention leaving out one of the starters, which was a problem for the Kanto games excluding RGB in Japan.

I can't think of anything else, though? Using the Kanto starters or Ho-Oh and Lugia would be too obvious, I can't see them using Mew or Celebi as mascots (although I can see them making Mew obtainable as a nod to the old rumors), and Game Freak seems to be trying to de-emphasize Megas, so I doubt we'd see the Mega Mewtwos or new Megas for Mew and Celebi.

Wait, I had another possibly better idea. Maybe they could use the two Pseudo lines and have Dragonite and Tyranitar be the mascots? That would emphasize these would include both Kanto and Johto.

That... might actually work. But other than looking badass I am not sure what else those two would do.

But read what I wrote about Mewtwo and Celebi. I am suggesting forms rather than Megas - you don't need to look very hard for evidence that Game Freak still like forms (see the ugly USUM mascots). The only question is if Mewtwo even needs one to be a mascot. I'm thinking of a minor design change with a 700 BST; maybe they should make it Psychic/Flying since it already flies in the anime, not to mention that it created a storm in the first movie.

I feel strongly about Celebi getting a dark form that would explain what the GS Ball contained. Again, it wouldn't change the regular Celebi's mythical status since they would be separate (you can see that the regular Celebi is not in the GS Ball in Crystal),

As long as Mew's new forme isn't as bad as Mega Mewtwo Y, I'd be fine.

However, judging by all the Gen I pandering recently, they'd probably just pander some more, smack the Kanto starters on the box and call it a day. Not the ideal scenario, true, but it's the most likely one.

I can see Celebi, but Mewtwo is a rather complex design already so adding to it in anyway might make it a bit chaotic especially since its Megas are still fresh in people's minds.

If that is really the case, just use Mewtwo itself (but again, what's wrong with the epic Cape Mewtwo?). I wouldn't mind that at all, but at least give it a good ability for once...

And what Megas? They don't exist.

I am so not here for a dark and ugly Celebi. And MewTwo over Mew for a pairing with Celebi? A Mythical with a mere Legendary? That's just not realistic. Just give us Mew and Celebi. They've been paired together before and they can be paired with each other again. And throw in Jirachi into the game as well since I'm still lowkey mad that we got Deoxys and not Jirachi

Actually... that sounds perfect. Pokemon West, you start in Johto--getting a Johto starter, doing the Johto gyms first, and the story begins there and continues into a Kanto post-game. Exact opposite in an alternate universe, in Kanto, for Pokemon East. Super ambitious, sounds amazing, though of course I doubt it's realistic. But damn I want that now.

It does sound cool. I'm just not sure how it works. If one starts in Johto and go to Kanto later, wouldn't what you do in say Lavender Town when you finally get there be the aftermath of what the person who started in Kanto did? It sounds like it'll be a lot of work. Maybe they can just make two sets of protagonists with parallel lives so everything that happens is exactly the same just in different places? That will really take the each game is an alternate universe thing to the extreme! How they do the story could be really interesting but I don't think it's gonna be easy.

Last edited:
Cape Mewtwo represents Mewtwo's change of heart in the anime and its trust in humans. Much like Mewtwo Returns, the games could have Mewtwo relate to the protagonist via some near death experience, which would make Mewtwo get over its hatred.

A dark Celebi would be to Celebi as Mewtwo is to Mew, and it wouldn't affect Celebi's mythical status. Is this really that hard to understand? As for design, way to dismiss any possibility it could actually look good.

And duh, of course the two versions would reflect different universes. That is Game Freak's modus operandi. I'd prefer it if there two stories were set in the same world at the same time, but I am not going to expect that.

Last edited:
Is this really that hard to understand?

It's not hard to understand. It's just unnecessary. I personally have no interest in "DARK" Pokemon. It's humans who are evil. Not Pokemon. I'm also really sick of Pokemon having many different forms for no good reason. Mew is also more popular than Mewtwo. In Japan.

Also if the reason why these games exist is to latch on nostalgia, why make unrecognizable versions of Pokemon that people love even? These new looks may not even catch on. Just give the people who they already know and love. I'm buying a switch and both East and West if they're telling me that I can finally catch Mew and Celebi legimately. Some dark form that is sorta Celebi but not really? No thanks. But okay maybe if they tell me I can Pokemon Refresh it until it turns into Celebi.

And duh, of course the two versions would reflect different universes. That is Game Freak's modus operandi.

That goes without saying. What I’m talking about is whether there will be two separate stories that converge or whether it will be one single story mapped out over two different region for their respective versions. For the latter, an example would be like what happens in your 3rd town in West is exactly the same as what happens in your 3rd town in Johto. After all, the story has always developed in tandem with your progress across the region. The former would be very fascinating but it would also probably require a lot of intense story boarding on their end so maybe they'll cop out and give us a more basic story line through the latter.

Last edited:
I see no evidence that Mew is more popular than Mewtwo in Japan. At least not among adults.

Whether or not Mew and Celebi's mythical status will be broken is up to Game Freak. I don't see a reason why it would, at least for this generation, when they're distributing Mew right now in Japan. Also, obviously Mew and Celebi are more comparable to Jirachi than Deoxys.

No offense, but you haven't even played the first two generations if I remember correctly. Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't speak for other people and what they consider nostalgic. Dark Celebi was actually part of the fourth movie, but more importantly, it would solve the GS Ball mystery that wasn't incorporated into the movie for whatever reason.

And Game Freak like forms. Sometimes they get them right and sometimes they don't; try not to be so narrow-minded.

Mew under the truck pretty much proves that nostalgia exists for mew.

The rumours surrounding Mew in that era should be high-level nostalgia matter now.

Even if we were to get a mewtwo mascot, it should be the standard form. Or just ditch the legends and make Charizard and Feraligatr the mascots. GF don't care about starter favouritism.

I see no evidence that Mew is more popular than Mewtwo in Japan. At least not among adults.

I knew you would fall for that hehe. Well there's the Pokemon Sousenkyo where Mew ranked a lot higher than Mewtwo :)

No offense, but you haven't even played the first two generations if I remember correctly. Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't speak for other people and what they consider nostalgic.

And you would be the authority on what counts as nostalgia? XD Well I played HGSS if that counts for anything. <3

And Game Freak like forms. Sometimes they get them right and sometimes they don't; try not to be so narrow-minded.

They could get it right and I might end up liking it. Yes. But I'm just not sure whether the effort will pay off when they can get enough people excited over the existing forms.

Or just ditch the legends and make Charizard and Feraligatr the mascots.

I'm surprised that you didn't suggest Typhlosion. :D

Regarding the East/West thing. I ave a few ideas.

• The Rival would be the opposite PC, similar to Hoenn, but with the twist that they will come from the opposite region, (Foe example, if you play East, you will starting in Kanto, if you pick say, Charmander, your rival will pick a Totodile). The Rival would be more akin to Silver and Gladion, a character connected with the evil team of the game.
  • Upon entering the other region, you get a pick from that region's starters.
  • Over the course of the game, you find yourself facing certain trainers. Namely Red, Blue, Leaf, Ethan, Lyra, Kris and Silver. Red and Blue would be in the same roles as in GS (Viridian Gym, Mt Silver boss). Kris and Leaf would be found in the graveyard areas in a nod to their retconned status (whether they be ghosts or Fallers would be another story). Lyra and Ethan would be one of the trainers you would have to face to get either Ho-Oh or Lugia and Silver would be a member of the International Police and connected to the rival's subplot.
  • Cameos from the other games would appear for both anniversary purposes and plot purposes (particularly Looker)
  • The evil team would, instead of Rocket, be ones looking for the cover legendary in a bid to power. Going off the Mew/Celebi angle, one version would have them go after Mew in a bid to use the DNA to control pokemon and be more like evil biologists, while the other goes for a "less" convoluted time travel plot along the likes of Savitar (The Flash), The Master (Doctor Who) or other time traveling villains.
  • The Rival's story would also be affected by this. In the version with Mew, their backstory would be that they and their family were kidnapped by the villain team and subjected to dangerous genetic experimentation. The rival being the only one that survived. The other version would have them come from the future...one that is collapsing (Time being stopped, objects and people dissapearing or being stuck in suspended animation, essentially a mix of the Darkrai movie and PMD Explorers, would also be applicable to a Diamond remake) because of the machinations of the evil team. In which case. but the rival and the evil team would be of the same time period.
  • The Creation trio would also be found in the Sinjoh ruins post game, Dialga being captured in Celebi's game and Palkia in Mew's (for slightly thematic reasons). Giratina would also be foudn only if both are on the same game.
    • The Birds, the Crown Beasts and Mewtwo would also be catch-able, along with the Legendaries found in HGSS, part of this is because I think there are too much legendaries for them to just be stuffed on the games of tail end of a generation without something convoluted to explain them (and thus I expect the other games of whatever generation to have the Lake Guardians, Cresellia, The Golems, Deoxys and the Legendaries from gen 5 onwards.
  • Lastly the Johto Safari zone would return, but with a mix of its own mechanics (Customization) and the Friend Safari, and no Step Limit (I'm not sure if step limits were a factor in Johto's but they certainly were in the other 2 Safaris). The Pokeathon should also return.

Could anyone explain the appeal of prioritizing two starters out of six? That screams controversial.

I knew you would fall for that hehe. Well there's the Pokemon Sousenkyo where Mew ranked a lot higher than Mewtwo :)
And I knew you would fall for that. That poll was made for the secondary Volcanion movie distribution, and in case you hadn't noticed, that movie was for kids and was also the least successful Pokemon movie ever. There is no way most Japanese adults like Greninja the best.

Also, of course most people would vote for Mew when a distribution is involved. But again, Mew is being distributed this month in Japan, and it was distributed last year elsewhere. It also received an exclusive Z-move.

Having said all that, I am not against using Mew and Celebi as mascots, but I think it's silly to consider that likely.

And you would be the authority on what counts as nostalgia? XD Well I played HGSS if that counts for anything. <3
Unless they were your first games, no. Even then, that era had very little to do with Mewtwo. Besides, I assume you didn't watch the original series first, and that is definitely relevant to the legendary discussion.

Last edited:
Oh well, if you're going for anecdotal evidence, my elder brother was at the age of the target audience when Pokemon fad was a thing, and he ended up remembering only two Pokémon names: Pikachu and Charizard.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom