• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

I could see them changing their HAs; Scolipede's HA in Gen V was Tangled Feet, and then Gen VI switched that out for Speed Boost (and buffed Scolipede's attack). Chandelure had Shadow Tag in Gen V, but they switched that out for Infiltrator. Starters having exclusive HAs isn't unheard of, either, since Bulletproof was exclusive to Chespin before Gen VI and Long Reach and Liquid Voice are exclusive to Rowlet and Popplio.

No need to replace HAs when they don't have secondary abilites yet. Greninja has one, so it wouldn't be unprecedented for a starter. Feraligatr has Sheer Force, so I'd say that it should have two good abilities to choose from. Likewise, Flash Fire is a decent option for Typhlosion. Secondary abilities that can be switched out would also make it easier to retain compatibility with the 3DS games.

Just don't give them the Ash-Greninja treatment, lol.

Last edited:
Greninja has one, so it wouldn't be unprecedented for a starter.

Greninja having a second ability is due to the Ash-Greninja treatment... And it's not any Greninja that has that ability. Also none of the starters have a secondary ability. Giving them one now would make it pretty unbalanced.

I think I would rather they do it the z-move way. Since they introduced it, they should try to at least explore it further. It doesn’t have to be that the z-move changes their ability. They could just give them that specific effect for the rest of the battle after triggering the z-move without changing their ability.

Only some of the starters have Megas, and only some of them have (or will have) Z-moves. What's wrong with variety?

Anyway, it could work the way you said. But honestly, Z-moves might be abandoned after two Alola pairs of games.

I just think that if they want to update the starters they would want to make a big deal out of it and giving them a new ability out of no where is just kind of random since abilities aren't something that they're focusing on now.

Z-moves might be abandoned after USUM but i think there's a chance that they might get Z-moves in USUM since they can be found pretty easily (well easier than a lot of the new pokemon imo) and there's also a Johtonian diaspora in Alola that they can make use of to link their introduction to the game story wise.

That wouldn't be a good sign for sequels in this generation (at least not ones including Johto), so it is not the assumption I'm working with. And it would absolutely make sense to move on from Z-moves after two years, even within the same generation.

You asked about variety, didn't you @Skiltree?

I'm asking for Megas so that they can get a new mega boost, and become relevant with a new design. The same reason Kanto starters got them.

That wouldn't be variety, lol. And they don't need new designs; the people who thinks that Megas are an improvement design-wise for most Pokemon, including the starters, are in the minority. That's why you don't see a lot of complaints about the feature being dropped for now.

That wouldn't be variety, lol. And they don't need new designs; the people who thinks that Megas are an improvement design-wise for most Pokemon, including the starters, are in the minority. That's why you don't see a lot of complaints about the feature being dropped for now.

*sees Typhlosion, Meganium and Feraligatr topping the list of the worst starters*

Oh well, where were we? TYPHLOSION MEGANIUM FERALIGATR IN UBERS DUE TO A REGULAR ABILITY

Not due to their designs; I've only seen complaints about Meganium, probably because of how tender she looks (which I doubt would change for a Mega). And how about a link to that list? Also, I wouldn't think those abilities would make them Uber, at least not necessarily (Protean Greninja and Ash-Greninja aren't Uber). You could suggest your own abilities, you know. Refusing to consider the possibility that new Megas may be off the table isn't exactly sensible.

Lastly, the abilities could change their designs somewhat. Meganium could have bigger petals with the color changing to red, Typhlosion's flame would be bigger, and Feraligatr would stand on four legs. Subtle changes are the way to go.

And I'd be fine with the abilities being side effects of signature moves instead. The Z-moves would be stronger versions.

Last edited:
Lastly, the abilities could change their designs somewhat. Meganium could have bigger petals with the color changing to red, Typhlosion's flame would be bigger, and Feraligar would stand on four legs. Subtle changes are the way to go.
And I'd be fine with the abilities being side effects of signature moves instead. The Z-moves would be stronger versions.

It sort of sounds like the Z Form Greninja theories we had earlier. I'm bad at making abilities, so I won't try and give it a shot. I just think that they're as much deserving of the promotion that the Kanto and Hoenn starters got. It'd also help with balancing when you're starting out first in the Johto region, and won't get the Kanto starter for a long time.

Lol, first you say that the abilities would be broken, and now you're implying that the Kanto Megas would be a better deal.

I could accept Megas with subtle design changes. I just think that it's silly to take it for granted at this point.

That wouldn't be a good sign for sequels in this generation (at least not ones including Johto), so it is not the assumption I'm working with.

It could also be seen as a build up towards an actual sequel...?

Lastly, the abilities could change their designs somewhat. Meganium could have bigger petals with the color changing to red, Typhlosion's flame would be bigger, and Feraligatr would stand on four legs. Subtle changes are the way to go.

This sounds like something that could happen with Z-moves /looks at marshadow.

Lol, first you say that the abilities would be broken, and now you're implying that the Kanto Megas would be a better deal.

I could accept Megas with subtle design changes. I just think that it's silly to take it for granted at this point.

Clarification: the part in all caps was sarcasm and joke EDIT: since clearly the abilities won't have a groundbreaking effect on the starters.

Last edited:
Geez. How would an ability making the opposing Pokemon immobile the first turn it faces Meganium, not incredibly useful? Automatic Flame Body for Typhlosion (or possibly an even better version affecting non-contact moves)? Automatic Speed Boost for Feraligatr, which is already RU alongside many decent Pokemon?

Can we stop pretending that Mega Evolution is the solution for everything? Last I checked, you could only use one Mega at a time, making the competition stiff. It also means wasting a held item, much like Z-moves.

@SerenaToAlola I'd expect any boost to be kept for when the starters are truly relevant. That's what happened for the Hoenn mascots and starters except for Blaziken.

Last edited:
Well, there are better ways of foreshadowing. Flesh out Lillie's decision to go to Kanto, include more references to what's been going on in Kanto and Johto recently...

But sure, if they wanted they could prioritize one starter again for an event.

Last edited:
While a Mega evos for the Gen 2 Starters could happen, more than likely GF will just give them a stat boost and a new ability like they did for few new mons in SM. It's also worth noting that the Johto Starters are beloved by many despite them being so-so in the Meta. If you wanna talk about unpopularity just look at the Isshu Starters...

Just adding a point to Typhlosion's Speed could make a big difference. For Meganium I would add 10 HP, and for Feraligatr 5 Attack. That way they would all have a BST of 535.

While they've never changed base stats in the middle of a generation, it wouldn't break compatibility.

And are the Kalos and Alola starters popular aside from Greninja and maybe Decidueye? I doubt that Torterra has a lot of fans, for that matter.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom