• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kotone's English name revealed?

I do have to agree. Which is why at work I shall be muttering her name under my breath so as to get used to it.

Kotone had a nice sound to it, if you ignore the pun.

YES! THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS HERE! Lyra eh? I like the sound of it. It might take me a little while to get used to it but still a great name.

But really, Lyra? That just doesn't seem... right. Theres still the chance that Lyra is one of her optional names and her actual in-game name is different.

I can't picture Kotone as Lyra. This might take a while for me to get used to this.

I'd like to know where he's pulling his information that "lyra" is somehow onomatopoeia for a harp's note.

Well, the Harp constellation is NAMED Lyra... I've never heard Lyra used as the sound of a harp though. The whole "ONOES I will not get used to calling her Lyra! I'm used to calling her Kotone!" thing is really silly. Unless you call all Pokemon by their Japanese name, people have been more that capable of getting used to name change. You don't still call Chimchar Hikozaru or anything like that.

Hm, this is going to take some getting used to. But, nonetheless, it is a clever name. Hopefully this is also her in-game name, otherwise I'll have to get used to that one.

Zesty Cactus said:
Like others have said, no matter what her name is, it's gonna take me forever to get used to.

Then don't.

You are under absolutely no obligation to use Kotone's or any other character's English name. Just because the rest of the fandom likes to throw away names that have been serving them perfectly fine for half a year or so doesn't mean that you have to as well.

Then don't.

You are under absolutely no obligation to use Kotone's or any other character's English name. Just because the rest of the fandom likes to throw away names that have been serving them perfectly fine for half a year or so doesn't mean that you have to as well.
Exactly, just use the name you are used to using.

Wasn't expecting Lyra. Now she'll remind me of lots of stars. X)

No, not Harper. Anything but that. Speaking as a Canadian, that would be my absolute last choice for a name.
When I read that her name means "the sound of a harp," I looked up names with "harp" in the meaning on behindthename.com, and found Kotone and Harper. Then I remembered that David Spade has a daughter named Harper. :look:

Lyra? I like it, I actually guessed that since it would go with Lucas as Kotone goes with Kouki and Hibiki goes with Hikari. (Aside from obviously starting with the same letter in English, Kouki and Kotone start with the same kana in Japanese and the same applies to Hikari and Hibiki.)

Maybe my theory's right and Hibiki's english name will start with a D.

Last edited:
Lyra, huh? That's a pretty good name. Although I will admit Kthleen's correct, I would have (and have) guessed Harper. I wonder if they're capitalizing on her European appearance?

Hate the name, but still love the character... I'll definitely stick to Kotone. Lyra ? As a name ? Sounds weird...

It could just be her anime name. Her game name can still be Soul, and who knows? It could be an error, or not...

It could just be her anime name. Her game name can still be Soul, and who knows? It could be an error, or not...

Her name ISN'T Soul though. Silver's default name, depending on your game, is either Heart or Soul.

Lyra. Well, Thats a nice name there. Now it will be interesting to see what she is like, because a person's personality has to match their name too.

I just want to clarify that "sound of the harp" is sort of a misnomer. A koto is a traditional JP instrument, and it's sound is heard in the HG/SS soundtrack. (most notably the Sprout Tower and Tin Tower tracks) So really, her name is "sound of the koto". It still could be connected, as both a lyre and the koto are plucked instruments.

I like Lyra. And now I can stop calling Pokesilvershipping by using Japanese names...I was really getting a little sick of saying SatoshixKotone. Now I can say AshxLyra. ^-^

Couldn't you have just said at the time, "AshxKotone"?

Man, people need to pit up some books and expand the different names people can legitimately have. Lyra's normal compared to some others I can mention. *coughmine* There's more to life than Toms and Gillians and Jeremys and Beths. The less likely you are to see it, the more special it is. And Lyra is a real name. It is associated with a harp, and less unisex than Harper, less generic than Melody.

Everyone said the same about Dawn, and May, that they couldn't see the character being called those over Hikari and Haruka. Sure, people still use them, but others who said it did finally have the same settle with them, as all translating choices tend to.

Couldn't you have just said at the time, "AshxKotone"?
Some people don't like mixing Eastern and Western. *shrug* It's a choice.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom