• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been going downhill for years. They'd be fools to revert to their formula if the 2017 movie turns out successful.
I think they just made it go downhill even further in my opinion. This movie is just so unappealing to me.

You seem to think that the franchise revolves around you.

I can assure you it doesn't.
I never said that. Don't put words in my mouth. I just don't like how the anime is turning out and this movie does not help matters.

"Too far in an anime" that constantly reboots itself in every new season?

I hope the movie diverges from the season 1 plot, like actually showing Ash winning the league or catching new or more Pokemon. Something like that.
They don't reboot every season. Ash just gets reset but the anime remains the same. If Ash can't win the league in anime then he wouldn't win in a movie.

I'm a bit surprised to see a movie focusing on a Kanto setting rather than being strictly in Alola. I'm honestly kind disappointed. I get that it's the 20th anniversary, but I would have liked to see a movie focusing on the characters of the Sun and Moon anime instead. Oh well, maybe in 2018...

Hopefully we get some info on this soon. I'm intrigued to know what the actual story will be focusing on.

If Ash can't win the league in anime then he wouldn't win in a movie.
Ash hasn't won a league in the anime because the producers want to keep him as the protagonist and it is much easier to achieve that by capping his power level.

If they establish the movie as taking place in an alternate universe, there is no reason why Ash couldn't win the Indigo League in that world. The reboot movie series could easily come to a natural end without affecting the anime.

Hmmm this is definitely interesting. But we still don't know what exactly it is and by the different logo on Ash's hat, it could be more than a straight-up retelling. Perhaps an alternate-universe timeline? Like what if Ash never overslept, or the Spearow incident never happened and Ash didn't earn Pikachu's trust that quickly? I also think it's going to be tied to the SM series in some significant way-- obviously because it's the current series and it'd be weird if the main cast of the movie is noticeably different, and that the hat logo looks like some kind of mix of the Kanto and Alola designs.

Or maybe it's not just going to be a retelling of how his journey began but rather a retelling of the whole franchise? That would be no small feat as each series is more or less its own story and are only loosely tied together, unless they did a Generations-type thing but I'm not sure how that would work as a feature-length film. I definitely don't think it's just going to be an extended re-telling of the first episode though. At the very least it'll be a re-telling of the first few episodes, introducing Team Rocket and Brock.

I think you're really coming on to something with this. I haven't been keeping too much with the SM anime, but didn't one of the creators say (not outright) that this is a different Ash? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong, but if so, this could be different than what we think. It could be Ash's journey, but it could go differently, as this might be a different Ash. I think this might be represented by Ash's hat. If you look closely at this trailer's hat, and the one he actually had in the Kanto series, they are different, but only slightly. The two stripes aren't connected in the hat from the trailer, and there is no line down the middle. This might just be a random design choice they decided to do, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do this without having a reason.

Even if it is just a retelling of the first couple episodes, or an overall of Ash's journey, or whatever it's going to be, I can't wait to see it, I am hyped :)

Ash hasn't won a league in the anime because the producers want to keep him as the protagonist and it is much easier to achieve that by capping his power level.

If they establish the movie as taking place in an alternate universe, there is no reason why Ash couldn't win the Indigo League in that world. The reboot movie series could easily come to a natural end without affecting the anime.
I don't have faith in Ash any more. I don't think Ash would do any better in movies. He still be losing regardless of what universe he is in.

sksbuI0.jpg

I don't know why I laughed and thought to myself, they'd probably troll everyone and bring back Todd the photographer, Iris, and for good measure, Jigglypuff as the ultimate team to help Ash out in this movie.

"Will Jigglypuff be able to put the legend to rest? Is Todd going to get the picture he always wanted? Will Iris prove to Satoshi that he truly is such a kid? Find out in our 20th anniversary movie!"

I despise Iris, but I would welcome a cameo from her, and I miss Jigglypuff. I would not mind the once in a blue moon cameo from Jigglypuff at all. And I don't think I've thought enough about Todd in about 20 years haha

I for one love the idea of a theatrical retelling of the first episode. This is something I've been hoping they'do for the longest time considering there's an earlier generation of fans that have probably never seen the earlier parts of the series. Plus in general I've just wanted to see them expand on that story. I also love the idea of having a movie that diverges from the current series. The finale of XY&Z was more satisfying that about 90% of the movies so I think the show has elevated itself to the point where it can handle the large scale events on their own.

My only concern is that I hope they stay true to Takeshi Shudo's tone since he unfortunately is no longer with us.

My only concern is that I hope they stay true to Takeshi Shudo's tone since he unfortunately is no longer with us.
Sad but true. I have to be cautious considering what happened the last time they should have stayed true to Shudo's tone (Movie 16).

I guess that Tomioka writing the movie would be best, but the past two movies weren't very impressive. Either way, Kunihiko Yuyama is the one that really calls the shots.

Last edited:
You mean the same tone that might had lead to a Pokemon revolt?

Well the franchise as proving to be iconoclastic. There's even a reddit post about that the plot of SuMo might be a jab at those that take "Gotta catch 'em all" seriously, and Gen V tried something similar. It might be an interesting twist.

A revolt would be an interesting plot for the final movie should there be a trilogy. Ho-Oh and Ash would pair up to mend the bonds between Pokemon and people.

The first movie could foreshadow that. They have to show that the world isn't actually the utopia that the anime and games usually make it out to be.

Just visited the official movie site, and I guess it certainly looks likely the movie will be about the first episode of the Pokemon series at the very least. I'm interested how they're going to retell it. They've already remastered the first episode some years ago, so I don't think they're going to go plot-by-plot, line-by-line of the first episode. Maybe there will be some differences, since they already confirmed that Pokemon has alternate universes?

Btw, I really like the website image. Really beautiful setting :)

Last edited:
OMG guys :cry: My heart!! When the Mezase Pokemon Master riff started up my chest almost burst open with love! Ohhh I don't know if I will even live long enough to see the second trailer. How can one teaser (which is probably 99% misleading) give me so many feelings?! How am I going to function today???? I haven't been so excited for a Pokemon film since M1!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom