• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

Why not, why only favor Mewtwo? I know it's the first BST 680 legendary and 1st movie big bad, but given only Mega to Mewtwo would cause competitive players not to choose the other legendary.

To be fair, I think Mewtwo is only getting a mega because it is related to genetics and since it is also a popular Pokémon, Mewtwo works perfectly as poster boy. It is not like they are favoring it. Also, if they make megas for all starters, I'd like them to be released one by one, through the course of generation VI. Suddenly releasing all of them would be sort of a overkill.

It's a pleasure. Oh, I just remember, let's assume all starter gets Mega, then that would be 3x6=18. Then let assume if we get about 7-8 legendary including Mewtwo get Mega. After that, if they decide to do Mega for all the yet to have any evolutionary relative, then that number would be more than 50. That's not even including some random member like Lucario and Ampharos.

I think the ideal scenario would be to make megas for the 18 starters + some single-stage Pokémon, like Sableye, Dunsparce, Heracross, Miltank, Pinsir... + some for the most popular Pokémon out there (besides Lucario and the others), like Zoroark, Arcanine, Ninetails, etc. I don't see why more legendaries should get mega forms, though. :c

Why not, why only favor Mewtwo? I know it's the first BST 680 legendary and 1st movie big bad, but given only Mega to Mewtwo would cause competitive players not to choose the other legendary.

Because Mewtwo was born from genetic splicing, and genetics appear to be a reoccurring theme with XY. It's only natural that they went with Mewtwo.

but given only Mega to Mewtwo would cause competitive players not to choose the other legendary.
That's not true. In the one tier where competitive players even use Mewtwo a MegaMewtwo wouldn't be instant victory. There are the likes of Arceus, White Kyurem, and Kyogre to contend with.

I just want them to be viable. Not something that just sit there. Things like Ditto and Castform is unique enough to be a gimmick. It's just me, wanting them to be more viable.

Just because you and I don't do double battles, does not mean they cannot be viable... they can be viable in double battles, and really for that pair, that's the only place that they can and should work in. They're Pokemon meant to be on the field at the same time, not just one in the party while the other is out. So if they both get Mega formes, I'd much rather prefer that one of their shared requirements be that they're both out at the same time.

Not saying that they will get Mega formes, just that if they do, that would be my utmost preference. And I'm pretty sure that's what Game Freak would do in keeping with their theme and spirit. And besides, when the hell has Game Freak ever been in it for practicality? Most of these gimmick Pokemon are just created as a means to be 'fun', and nothing more. I mean look at Chatot, they gave it Chatter as a means of being silly and fun during battle. Granted now it's being abused to blurt out other things, but that was their intention with the move and Pokemon.

They are used to introduce double battle, not that they are viable in double battle. If they are, most team would use them already. The world tournament is double, is it (I might be wrong)? But I agree with you about GF. Anyway, thank you for your thought. Made me realize lot of things.

but given only Mega to Mewtwo would cause competitive players not to choose the other legendary.
That's not true. In the one tier where competitive players even use Mewtwo a MegaMewtwo wouldn't be instant victory. There are the likes of Arceus, White Kyurem, and Kyogre to contend with.

True, but you only list 3. Speaking of Arceus, it my wishful thinking that it too will Mega Evolve into something unstoppable. No stat change but give it an ability like in the movie, so that it type will automatically change to what most resist its enemy and its Judgement would always change to a type that super effective against opponents. Just wishful thinking though.

Inb4 Kyurem gets a Mega Evolution into Original Dragon. :p

Hmm, so have Black/White Kyurem hold the Originite and have Reshiram/Zekrom in the party and you'll get a temporary Original Dragon Form?

I'd... be on the fence for that one. XD

I really hope we don't get more than 45 Mega Evolutions. I'd rather have Mega Evolution be a somewhat rare feature rather than an easily accessible one.

Speaking of this, I think future remakes/sequels will use Mega Evolutions of mascots as a way to keep the older mascots more fresh. In the meantime, I think we will see a few more legendary Mega Evolutions this game, but mainly for lesser and more forgettable ones.

As for Kyurem, the Original Dragon couldn't really work the same way since it would require fusing with both Reshiram and Zekrom.

They are used to introduce double battle, not that they are viable in double battle. If they are, most team would use them already. The world tournament is double, is it (I might be wrong)? But I agree with you about GF. Anyway, thank you for your thought. Made me realize lot of things.

I never did say that they are glorious in double battle. By all means they still suck in competitive battles, just that they suck a little less in double battles, which is where they should stay.

That said, I think Mega evolutions dependent on double, triple or rotation battles would be interesting. Would at least maybe get those styles used more often, if not just a little.

Yeah I know, I was just kidding.

But I could definitely see MegaGroudon and MegaKyogre.

Speaking of this, I think future remakes/sequels will use Mega Evolutions of mascots as a way to keep the older mascots more fresh. In the meantime, I think we will see a few more legendary Mega Evolutions this game, but mainly for lesser and more forgettable ones.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if Lugia and Ho-oh get their Mega Evolutions now since they already had their remakes and sequels probably aren't in the cards for the Johto region for a long time if ever.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if Lugia and Ho-oh get their Mega Evolutions now since they already had their remakes and sequels probably aren't in the cards for the Johto region for a long time if ever.

They can make sequels whenever they feel like, they wouldn't limit themselves by releasing their Mega Evolutions now if they were considering it.

Right, because there's totally not an as-of-yet-unused region of Japan in between the real-world equivalents of Jouto and Houen, is there. Definitely not in the cards, nope. :rolleyes:

I really hope we don't get more than 45 Mega Evolutions. I'd rather have Mega Evolution be a somewhat rare feature rather than an easily accessible one.

Here's my analysis:

All 18 starters
Mewtwo
Lucario
Absol
Ampharos
Mawile
Kangaskhan

I believe that's all of them as of right now and that number is 24 (including the speculation of all starters getting them. That may not happen :boom: Not counting that speculation of all starters, the total would be 7). Even after the total at release, they can release more over time as DLC. I'd guess that we may have 30 or so by release and then maybe a 40-50 total in 2014 because of DLC.

Depending on if they decide to give Mega forms to other legendaries besides Mewtwo, the number could change.

I really hope all starters get Mega forms

Last edited:

I really hope Arceus will get a Mega Evolution. Men, BST of 720 is just too low for an Alpha Pokemon that is said to surpass all Pokemon. If one have to argue with me with anime/movie canon, where Arceus don't look so strong because he was like dying by just crashing with a meteor, then that is a much greater reason to make him look stronger!

Mega Evolution reminds me a bit of the old Poké Cup rules in the Stadium games, where you can have three Pokémon of levels 50-55 with the combined total needing to be no more than 155. One way you can have the level distribution is 50/50/55, which makes the level 55 one kinda a bit more important than the others. I kinda liked the idea because it reminded me of the Gym battles where the leader will usually have one Pokémon that was more powerful than the others. That Pokémon I'd consider to be that Gym Leader's signature Pokémon.
I really hope Arceus will get a Mega Evolution. Men, BST of 720 is just too low for an Alpha Pokemon that is said to surpass all Pokemon.
It's said to surpass all Pokémon?

If Mawile is getting a Mega then I feel fairly confident so will Sableye. Nothing is certain, of course, but it's just what I think is likely. Dunsparce is another that I think will be given the treatment. I would prefer regular evolutions for them, but if this is the only way they are going to be "added" or "improved" upon, I'm willing to take it. Fairy/Dragon Dunsparce Mega pls!

Also Kangaskhan was a Pokemon I think very few people (if that) actually expected to get a Mega, so I'm sure there will be more surprises to come.

I think Kangaskhan should now get a prevo, and that this prevo should get a branch evo (that would house both genders). Kangaskhan holding Khanite can breed the new baby. This wouldn't really change anything, as Kangaskhan would still be fully evolved, while now the joey is being acknowledged as a potential battle element (and, realler, a battler). The new branch evo could also hold the Khanite and use its trigger. (This Kangaskhan mega evolution form seems quite powerful by the way, given how we know the current ability to read. Parental Bonding has to multiply the power of all of Kangaskhan's attacks in some degree, depending on the power of the first and second hit-- for it'd also make sense if the first hit was similarly boosted beside the attack of Joey.) I'd propose for an alternate parallel Kangaskhan's mega form a Normal/Fighting Scrappy pokemon with increased Attack and Speed.

Or, alternatively, Kangaskhan could get two prevos, a joey and a young adult, the latter only capable of evolving into Kangaskhan if it is female. Or we could finally get male Kangaskhan. (I forgot the logic that helped me reach the conclusion that this would be smart.)

It'd also be great if (all?) Kangaskhan in the wild were found holding Khanite, or if the prevo(s) were found in the wild also.

~

At any rate, there are many pokemon I'd like to see get mega evolution forms, particularly some of those who are weaker due to Gen 1's strange BST curve. (This doesn't include pokemon who are seemingly deliberately weak, like Farfetch'd--although yes, give Farfetch'd a mega evo form [Grass/Flying, a weaker type combination of some logic, say I, making Farfetch'd in at least one area more farfetch'd].) I don't what it means when Serebii sums up the CoroCoro reveals as saying "It confirms that not all Pokémon will have Mega Evolutions" as we might have already guessed that statement of weak language given that this event Torchic is holding the Blazikenite. Perhaps they're saying that not all FE pokemon (a subset of "all pokemon") will have a mega evolution form. But perhaps CoroCoro was being cryptic on the matter, and all or many FE Pokemon will receive a Mega evolution.

I might only point out that we don't know how mega evolution works, and whether or not it works the same way in all cases. So no one should be surprised that pokemon that are both well known and popular enough among battlers like Lucario get mega evolution forms. All we know is that, at least at the beginning (this item may possibly be consumed upon use), Blaziken must hold an item in place of another. This is not necessarily a nerf, as the Blazikenite could multiply Blaziken's attack by 2 for all we know. But I think Blaziken's mega evo trigger may be related to its health meter, made "iken" to Blaze.

I have a theory about mega evolutions: pokemon are born with 2 packets of energy( at max) wich they use in order to evolve. When a pokemon reach its third stage, the packets turns without energy. Mega stones can fill them a little, offering energy enough for them change for a while, but not enought to actually evolve. So, they become only mega forms of themselves for a while, not a different pokemon. Maybe baby kanghaskan evolves to kanghaskan by an undiscovered item, wich would give it energy enough to evolve, but magastone is not the right item, so it stops evolving while its midway of baby form and kanghaskan form. Look at it, it looks more like kanghaskan now, but its not exactly like it yet. Blaziken is a third stage pokemon, so it alread consumed all its energy. Mega stones doesnt give it energy enough to evolve a fourth time.
Maybe instead of this packet being partially refilled, maybe the stone sends energy along the recorded route of already-infused energy. I think theory is more productively applied to the question of why we can only have one mega evo on a team. (Mega stones could be incredibly energetic objects that are dangerously paired together. Or the event of mega evolution could be dangerously radioactive [if not all mega evolutions are tied to mega stones].)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom