• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More English Names

The update on Pokemon.com also says that Chatot's "Unstable Gait" ability, which has been translated about a dozen different ways, is now called Tangled Feet - which solves the translation problem.

For some reason, it also claims that Turtwig's ability is Clorophyll - but considering Piplup's description says "it wont even accept Pokemon food from trainers", I can't help but feel that this is confusion from watching the anime.

Which would be rather lol, as I can only really imagine the webmaster/content writer on Pokemon.com having access to the D/P anime through less than legal means. :p

Shake your trunk, Croagunk!

I like them, I don't bitch about the new names.

LMAO @ Habunake's avy
SPECIAL SPHEAL

Oh thank God that the frog's name isn't Croalurk, that sounded so stupid to me... Croagunk is actually cool.

I like all the names, really, except for Driftblim. Meh, now that I type it, it doesn't seem that bad...and I guess I COULD have gotten used to Croalurk. But Croagunk is still cooler.

All right, roll call:

Bidoof: "Bidoof More than You Can Chew" sounds like a great title. Don'cha think?

Shinx: That sounds way cooler than Spinx!

Budew: Awwww!!

Driftblim: Uh...okay. I can go with that.

Skorupi: YES! I called it! I mean, I didn't get 100% but YES! I called it!

Croagunk: Aw man. I liked Croalurk better. But then again, "Junk in your Croagunk" does sound pretty good.

And what is this "Tangled Feet" ability that Chatot has?

Last edited:
Driftblim...Sigh...I suppose...But it really does sound like something I'd half-arsed nicknamed mine as.

Why are there morons on...certain site...that can't pronounce simple names? Turtwig is NOT turt-wig. Then, they come up with retarded poop jokes all because they aren't pronouncing the frackin' name correctly. -_-

Anyways, I like all of the names, except Driftblim. Very awkward name to say.

Edit: I love how some 'tard at Wikipedia randomly put down Jibacoil's English name as "Magnufo" without providing any source for the name.

Last edited:
Apparently Serebii says a new name will be shown tommorow...probably just Cherrim, since that's the only one left.

I'm getting used to Driftblim. Except, I hope I'm not the only one who pronounces it without the "t," but it makes it a lot easier to say.

That's its trademarked Japanese name, so it would make sense, but I don't it's possible to read that.

Cherimu is Officially Cherrim.

Shame, I preferred Cherimu.

I still wonder why Dorapion and Zugaidosu havnt been anounced.They are now the only pokemon to be released before DP to not have itheir English names.

Starters
Dialga
Palkia
Munchlax
Bonsly
Mime Jr
Cherrim
Pachirisu
Roserade
Electivire
Kricketok (Kricketok>Kricketot)
Bidoof
Happiny
Shinx
Shieldon
Budew
Carnivine

Now, IIRC, Dorapion and Zugaidosu are the only ones left, so therefore, should be next.

I wonder why Fuwairde (I refuse to call it Driftblim), Scorpi and Shellos were revealled instead of Dorapion and Zugaidosu

Last edited:
New official/confirmed names (according to info released at the Toy Fair and other official sources) I know most of these are known, but just to make sure....

English name- Japanese name

Happiny- Happini
Roserade- Roserade
Bidoof- Bippa
Shinx- Kolink
Budew- Subomi
Driftblim- Fuwaride
Glameow- Nyarmar
Piplup- Pochama
Cherrim- Cherimu

EDIT- SHTR, you got there before me. XD

The only new one of the is Cherrim, Keruri. The others have been out for days, and most people know them.

You didnt need to zoom in. Serebii confirmed it (Though after Piplup, and Serebii being well, Serebii, I wouldnt take it as 100% accurate)

I still wonder why Dorapion and Zugaidosu havnt been anounced.They are now the only pokemon to be released before DP to not have itheir English names.
And Minomutchi.

Cherimu is Officially Cherrim.

Shame, I preferred Cherimu.

It's the same thing, just a slightly different romanization! *bashes head into desk*

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom