• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most annoying gag

Whilst I'm tempted to just say all the ones from Best Wishes, I'm sure that others could do a better job of going into why it was annoying to endure many of the jokes from that series and have already done.

If there is one gag that I really hated early on it was Team Rocket getting into trouble at the end of every episode. Often with what just happened to be the problem of the episode. It never felt like they were being punished, but more abused by the plot and simply made me side with them too much. It made Satoshi feel lucky in comparison and it wore thin quick. I don't see why some of the gags that hardly appeared are being mentioned here, when it's hard to be annoyed by something that hardly turns up. At one stage this was the result of every blast off and it got more annoying each time. I don't think I actually started to really like Satoshi until DP and I partly blame this gag for making him feel so lucky.

Whilst I'm tempted to just say all the ones from Best Wishes, I'm sure that others could do a better job of going into why it was annoying to endure many of the jokes from that series and have already done.

I think one of the biggest differences between OS and BW is the humor. BW tried to be funny like OS but the humor was mostly based on tired gags while OS had slapstick humor and was more clever. BW felt more juvenile because of that.

Brock's whole flirting thing was fine up until Max started pulling his ear. Like why does he care so much?? I understand why Misty and Croagunk would get upset but what made Max so angry? And by the time it started happening in DP it just got stale (as did Brock as a character).

Team Rocket blasting off bothers me too but only because it's pretty much the same thing every time. "Pikachu! Use Thunderbolt!" (at least I think that's what the attack is). If they'd have the CotD or another member of the main group do it from time to time it'd be way better. It's not on the level of recycled motto animation redundant but it's pretty close.

1. Iris's "You're such a kid" catchphrase - Extremely annoying and also hypocritical.
2. Bianca running into Ash - A lame attempt at copying Barry and I didn't find the gag to be that funny.
3. Brock's flirting - It was funny at first, but it got old by Hoenn.
4. Cameron slapping his forehead with his headband - Don't abuse your head, use your head!!

The Gureggru gag was never *not* funny to me. The facial expressions Takeshi would make, the humming / cackling noises that came out of Gureggru as it dragged its Trainer away, the fact that Gureggru didn't give a shit about most things but for some reason was actively cockblocking Takeshi...the whole thing was just great.

The Eureka proposal gag is one I like to think of as a running gag done right. XY's been using an impressive amount of restraint in not having the gag show up in every single episode and it doesn't feel so worn out as a result.

PropellorYoshi1808 said:
Team Rocket blasting off bothers me too but only because it's pretty much the same thing every time. "Pikachu! Use Thunderbolt!" (at least I think that's what the attack is). If they'd have the CotD or another member of the main group do it from time to time it'd be way better.

But

COTD or other members of the group do blast them off from time to time

It's not just Pikachu

Come on now

One running gag that I forgot about was Jigglypuff singing its song whenever it could. It started out okay, but when it started to sing just whenever it was in front of people, regardless of the situation, it just came off as ridiculous. It was especially bad when it started to sing during life threatening situations. There was one filler episode in Johto where Ash and his friends were in an old airplane and Jigglypuff started to sing in the middle of a storm. That just made its desire to sing seem so stupid when it didn't even care about the potential dangers or where it was. At least when it was on a stage or something that looked like a stage, it kind of made sense, but singing in a storm or in the ocean always came off as more strange than funny.

I also didn't consider Iris' "You're such a kid" line as a running gag. I never really considered it to be a running gag so much as just part of Iris' personality. It also probably helps that it was never funny and just made her out to be more of an annoying hypocrite.

One running gag that I forgot about was Jigglypuff singing its song whenever it could. It started out okay, but when it started to sing just whenever it was in front of people, regardless of the situation, it just came off as ridiculous. It was especially bad when it started to sing during life threatening situations. There was one filler episode in Johto where Ash and his friends were in an old airplane and Jigglypuff started to sing in the middle of a storm. That just made its desire to sing seem so stupid when it didn't even care about the potential dangers or where it was. At least when it was on a stage or something that looked like a stage, it kind of made sense, but singing in a storm or in the ocean always came off as more strange than funny.

I also didn't consider Iris' "You're such a kid" line as a running gag. I never really considered it to be a running gag so much as just part of Iris' personality. It also probably helps that it was never funny and just made her out to be more of an annoying hypocrite.

I am with you for iris' personality. It also probably helps that it was never funny and just made her out to be more of an annoying hypocrite but i though that such a kid one of a lot of her jerk personality

I also with you for Jigglybuff, It was never never never never cute. What the point from pokemon have a good voice for singing.

I also annoyed pikachu forgot strong attack and didn't forgot thunder bolt

Right, i like thunder bolt too much and i like it more than thunder in gyms, but what the point from giving him a new attacks like thunder, volt tackel and then forgeting them. I accept and liked that he never forgot iron tale because it iron attack not physical type pokemon attack

Last edited by a moderator:
The group glutton gag (as demonstrated this series by Harimaron) was never funny and gets more and more infuriating each time it's shoved down our throats.

Oh and teem rocketz r such bad gag

Team Rocket as a whole is incredibly annoying, not just them blasting off.

I have three major pet peeves when it comes to the Anime's running gags. FroakieFroak named the first one and that is useless villains known as Team Rocket.

But are they the most annoying gag in the anime? No... Brock's constant flirting with girls was a major annoyance, and Bonnie's proposals are equally annoying.

It's hard to take a plot seriously when they throw THAT into the mix...

It's hard to take a plot seriously when they throw THAT into the mix...
How seriously can you take any part of a franchise built on the back of a yellow rat?...

There are quite a lot of anime and game plots which can be taken seriously.

Pikachu is a mouse, by the way...

In regards to "You're such a kid," nah, I considered it to be a running gag, because they had it as a dumbass catchphrase that went on for an ungodly long time, yet it was not funny in the slightest.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom