• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Music Mafia - ENDGAME - Mafia Victory [9/14]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Music Mafia - Day 4 [9/12]

...do you guys really have NOTHING ELSE to judge people other than posting styles? I'm finding that extremely annoying. The contents in my posts don't have much to do with being town or mafia - it's just my statement and opinion of each situation I'm in. I'm pretty much like that in every single mafia game I'm playing - regardless of my roles.

If you don't believe me, go take a look at the other mafia games I'm participating. Also, if you're a veteran, you should know that people can have different posting styles. No two people are the same, and there isn't some sort of guidebook on "What posts are town-ish and what posts indicate one is mafia". Just because someone is posting something that doesn't match your "town" standards, or posted something unimportant doesn't make one suspicious.

Um, overreaction much?

I'm honestly confused here. If we don't try and scumhunt based on posts and posting styles, what do we scumhunt on? I'll give you a hint: if you say votes, I will scream/headdesk/facepalm/all of the above. Posting styles say a lot about a person, and can be a very big indicator of whether they're mafia or not, ESPECIALLY if their posting style changes mid-game. If they're usually quite laid back and passive-aggressive in their posts, then it can be very odd if they suddenly started tunnelling on someone for seemingly no reason. Or, if they're aggressive and as soon as someone points it out, start to not be as aggressive, because they don't want to appear scummy. Every townie wants to appear the perfect balance of scummy - not enough to be considered for a lynch, and not too little so that you're a good choice for the mafia to kill.

If the content of your posts "don't have much to do with being town or mafia", then you are not playing this game correctly. The whole point is that people behave differently when placed in different situations. Granted, mafia started out as a live-action-role-playing game where behaviour was more easily read, but you can still read people a fair bit over the internet. For example, throughout this game, you've been pretty chilled and not contributed a great deal. However, the second I put a theory forward that included you, you went berserk. I didn't even vote you, but you're acting like it's some kind of personal offence. Seems like a very big reaction for something pretty small.

Whatever you think, there are posts which are pro-town and posts which aren't. Yes, it's true that not everyone posts exactly the same, but there are aspects of their behaviour which can be seen as either scummy or not.

I have half a mind to vote you, but I'm sticking with atomic. However, FOS: Dark Blueberry, let it be known.

Um, overreaction much?

Nope. I've been voted and picked on for my posting styles in every single mafia game I played up till now. People just can't seem to accept someone has a different posting style from what they've known. It's really frustrating. See, you haven't even played enough games with me to know my posting style - and I haven't played enough mafia games yet to form a certain habit.

I'm honestly confused here. If we don't try and scumhunt based on posts and posting styles, what do we scumhunt on? I'll give you a hint: if you say votes, I will scream/headdesk/facepalm/all of the above. Posting styles say a lot about a person, and can be a very big indicator of whether they're mafia or not, ESPECIALLY if their posting style changes mid-game. If they're usually quite laid back and passive-aggressive in their posts, then it can be very odd if they suddenly started tunnelling on someone for seemingly no reason. Or, if they're aggressive and as soon as someone points it out, start to not be as aggressive, because they don't want to appear scummy. Every townie wants to appear the perfect balance of scummy - not enough to be considered for a lynch, and not too little so that you're a good choice for the mafia to kill.

If the content of your posts "don't have much to do with being town or mafia", then you are not playing this game correctly. The whole point is that people behave differently when placed in different situations. Granted, mafia started out as a live-action-role-playing game where behaviour was more easily read, but you can still read people a fair bit over the internet. For example, throughout this game, you've been pretty chilled and not contributed a great deal. However, the second I put a theory forward that included you, you went berserk. I didn't even vote you, but you're acting like it's some kind of personal offence. Seems like a very big reaction for something pretty small.

Like I said, I haven't played much mafia games to form a habit yet. You say you know about me based on what I posted up till now - but what exactly do you know about me? I could be aggressive to bring out people's reactions, or I could stay on the sidelines while still being active. I mentioned above - there is no guidebook or answer book that directly tells you what behavior makes one town or mafia. In the end, you're just judging people with the mere contents with mostly your guts.

As for behaviors? I'm guessing anyone could fake that. It shouldn't be too difficult for veteran players to fake their posting styles, no?

Please take that posting style discussion to that Mafia Philosophy thread. This can get quickly off-topic.

I'll post my impressions here:

Impression on Dark Blueberry (CAR*, you can use DQ for initials for her if need be) is iffy now on my end. She has contributed less in discussions but seriously though, she has displayed such behavior here in most games here. Other than her posts not being in main discussions, her actions have been on the fence. Still, yes, I've already said it but I'm keeping an eye on you too, miss >: O

Another name in my suspect list is Atomic, because that she's been onto lynching Karamazov though there was favorable proof to lynch Drumbeats over Karamazov in that situation. Along with Hawkeye who refused to switch votes to Drumbeats. CAR* made a good point too. I'll place a vote for now in case I sleep in and end up missing the phase. Likely I'll be able to return before the phase change as I don't have classes in the morning though.

VOTE: Atomic

Btw, I suspected mwto - she gave me the impression that she simply followed whatever lead to get a townie lynched. But grrr, you saw how that turned out. >< Wonder if she had talked with someone?

@Mintaka I disagree, all of this discussion is on-topic, as it's speculation over Dark Blueberry's alignment and whether or not what they're doing is scummy. As soon as it becomes general, THEN it'll be off-topic.

Nope. I've been voted and picked on for my posting styles in every single mafia game I played up till now. People just can't seem to accept someone has a different posting style from what they've known. It's really frustrating. See, you haven't even played enough games with me to know my posting style - and I haven't played enough mafia games yet to form a certain habit.

Previous games are previous games, not this game. If you've been lynched over and over, you're obviously doing something wrong.

Even if your posting style is "different", that doesn't excuse the fact that you haven't been scumhunting. You've literally contributed next to nothing to discussions. To put a term to it, you've just been posting filler, a way of basically saying "Btw, I'm here guys, so you don't think I'm mafia because I'm inactive". Unfortunately, that only works on people who lynch inactives, and I'm not one of them ;3

Like I said, I haven't played much mafia games to form a habit yet. You say you know about me based on what I posted up till now - but what exactly do you know about me? I could be aggressive to bring out people's reactions, or I could stay on the sidelines while still being active.

And like I said, it's not even much to do with your posting style, but more the content of your posts. And then as soon as you overreacted, THAT'S when your behaviour/posting style came into play. Reactions play a vital part in scumhunting, and you didn't react well to what I said at all. That in itself being a little scummy, add it onto the fact that I didn't even target you for a lynch or anything, and you're just being overly protective, which raises the question: "Why?"

I mentioned above - there is no guidebook or answer book that directly tells you what behavior makes one town or mafia. In the end, you're just judging people with the mere contents with mostly your guts.

... oh dear lord, please tell me you did not just say that.

The whole point of mafia games is deception, trickery, analysis of people's behaviour and the like. There ARE scummy and non-scummy behaviours that people do, otherwise we'd all just be going "LOOK AT ME GUISE I CAN RANDOMLY VOTE SOMEONE AND HOPE DEY'RE MAFS HYUK HYUK HYUK". Sure, there's nothing that says "If they do X then they MUST be mafia", but there is definitely "Doing X would be a very odd move for a townie to do, so it's more likely they're anti-town."

Another term for you: scumhunting. When you read people's posts and determine whether or not they're mafia DUE TO THEIR BEHAVIOUR. Phoenick's post where he basically quoted the entire thread was a prime example of scumhunting. He analysed their posts and how they reacted to certain situations, trying to make sure it's all consistent with each other.

I'm not even going to debate this with you any further, because categorising behaviour as 'scummy' and 'non-scummy' is a given in any mafia game, and it's not something you can dispute. If you can give me an example of scumhunting without looking at posts and behaviour that doesn't include voting patterns, then I'll concede.

As for behaviors? I'm guessing anyone could fake that. It shouldn't be too difficult for veteran players to fake their posting styles, no?

Well, yes, they could. But then, if someone's behaviour is distinctly out-of-character for no reason, then an explanation is in order. That's why Feliciano brought up about Phoenicks' "aggressiveness" - she found it uncharacteristic of him to be so forward with the game, and made her question why he'd be trying so hard when he doesn't usually. The simple answer: He's mafia trying to seem pro-town. Of course, that was just speculation, but you have to follow these things up or we just don't end up getting anywhere.

Vote: Phoenicks

While Atomic strikes me as suspicious, a private conversation I had with Phoenicks, coupled with the nightkill make me believe he is mafia.

The conversation started with him telling me that "were off to a rough start and need to figure out who's mafia." So the then he asks me my suspicions and I name a few minor FoSs, which where Hawkeye, Paperhorse, and Feliciano. Hawkeye for his reaction to Mr. F's kill, Feliciano for her unnecessarily defensive reaction to Ryuus lynching, and Paperhorse for her quietness. Then he asked me about my town tells, and I only gave one name: mwto

Coincidentally Mwto died tonight.

Then he asked for a claim and I openly claimed to him (I'm vanilla). Then when I asked for his tells and claim. He responded with that "he's not good with tells so he's trying to figure out who couldn't be mafia together" and did not give any names to support this. On top of that, he claimed something that could easily be mafia.

but you have to follow these things up or we just don't end up getting anywhere.

Thanks for the advice. At least I learned a little bit of something on mafia games here by listening (?) to your speech.

But people CAN change their behavior depending on the situation. No one stays the same 364 days all year. No one maintains the same attitude 24/7 - if we did, then we'd be robots. Also... you should probably know that we're humans here, even on the net. Of course we should just focus on the game itself, but the fact real life still affects us in one way or another is another factor. Someone who'd be neutral in the games could suddenly post aggressively and snap at people if they had a bad day - they could've been sick and missed school or someone rage-quitted on them over pokemon wifi. I KNOW that if that's the case, then they shouldn't post, but if they wanted to post anyways, then there's no reason to stop them - and thus their attitude could reflect what they are feeling in real life. It could coincide with certain timings.

But still... I half-agree with you.

Vote: Atomic

I've been busy with my own mafia game, so I really haven't been active. Go ahead and lynch me, I guess, I'm the restless spirit.

@DrumBeats; I'm sorry if my defense of Ryuu sounded scummy, but I do feel at least slightly responsible for his lynching, considering Phoenicks first voted me, then changed his vote to Ryuu because I'm his girlfriend and therefore we must be talking a lot about the game. Frankly, I find that logic neither very fair nor very solid. As I mentioned, I don't always have control over whether or not I'm active, and I feel like the fact that I couldn't be on to make any sort of defense spelled the end for Ryuu.

@Phoenicks; I've made it clear time and again in this game that I do not trust you because I feel that it's safer not to. Your meta-logic has so far directly led to the lynching of the lie detector and the watcher, and DrumBeats' conversation with you becomes quite suspicious with the timing of mwto's death.

Vote: Phoenicks

Update will be around 11pm Eastern time tonight.

Pretty much all of that is true, except that I'm not mafia. I've done an awful job this game. I don't blame you.

I did tell you who I thought couldn't be mafia together by pointing to my earlier posts. You're still keeping my claim hidden though, which is nice of you.

Vote: Dark Blueberry

I'm too late to change anything massive, I believe. Atomic is probably telling the truth. Dark Blueberry sounded like she had help writing her last few posts. She was certainly very aggressive for someone claiming to be new in the same posts.

Voting locked, update pending.

Dark Blueberry sounded like she had help writing her last few posts. She was certainly very aggressive for someone claiming to be new in the same posts.

The posts I talked with CAR* ? Nopes - I wrote them all myself - and if you take a look at other mafia games, you'll see that I wrote the exact same thing somewhere else as well. Those are soley my opinions and mine alone.

Also...

Aren't you the one who taught me that it's crucial to be unpredictable as possible? Be it town or mafia - make it so people can't pick on you easily. I did mention that I can be aggressive or passive depending on the situation. And it depends on MY situation, not what others think.

Re: Music Mafia - Night 4 [9/13]

The sky was overcast and gray throughout the day. It seemed to pass more slowly than the previous days, and time seemed to freeze several times throughout the day, as if caused by the bitterly cold wind. One song began to cry softly as a crowd approached her. She knew what they wanted. As it began to snow, a single tear froze on her face as the snowflakes became tangled in her hair. She shivered, knowing that soon, she would never be warm again.

Dear Atomic,

You are "Brothers", from the anime Fullmetal Alchemist.

”How can I repay you brother mine?
How can I expect you to forgive?
Clinging to the past I shed our blood,
and shattered your chance to live.

Though I knew the laws I paid no heed.
How can I return your wasted breath?
What I did not know has cost you dear,
For there is no cure for death.”

You are a song about regret over the death of your mother and your actions affecting your brother’s life negatively.

Because of your regrets, your spirit will still be tied to this realm, even after you die. After death, your ability will be revealed in-thread and you may still post once per phase for three phases. Your post may contain a vote that will be counted if properly formatted. You may not privately communicate with any player after death. After three phases, you will be dead permanently. If the town wins the game within the three phases, you still win the game.

You are town. Eliminate all threats to the town to win.
Atomic, town, has died, but her spirit will linger for a while. She was Hawkeye's song.
To clarify, any player contacting her privately WILL BE MODKILLED. She may still win, but she is dead as far as any other win conditions are concerned.

It is now NIGHT 4. This phase will end around 10pm Eastern time on 9/14.

Yup. That's what a restless spirit does.

Ooh, I like my songs role. :3

*sigh* Ok, could've been worse.

Drumbeat's claim strikes me as odd. Why would there be a song with no notable qualities about it to make a role from?

Assuming worst case scenario of 4 mafs, we're in LYLO after this kill.

CAR, think about it. The host had to come up with 16 roles in 1-2 days. Of course one of them would've been hard to think of something but vanilla for. Plus vanilla is a relatively common role that's in many games.

Right now, I stand by my suspicion of Phoenicks for previously stated reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom