• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokemon for Gym Leaders

I don't see why almost all of these suggestions have made the teams mono-type. Mono-type teams are always easier to beat than teams with more than one type. It makes sense for a few gym leaders with very common types (Falkner with flying types, Whitney with Normal types, etc.), but some of the other gym leaders should get pokemon of other types. Especially some of the later gym leaders, since they're supposed to be harder and they have rarer types.

Falkner should get a Hoothoot for sure. I like the idea of him getting a Natu.

Bugsy will be fine with Ariados/Spinarak, Ledyba/Ledian, or Heracross in place of Kakuna and Metapod.

Whitney should keep Miltank and Clefairy. I think that a Teddiursa or an Aimpom would fit her team well too. Most of the other good normal types should be saved for rematches. A Girafarig or Eeveelution would suit her for a rematch.

Morty should get a Misdreavus for sure. But I could see him with an Hypno or Jynx for variety. Maybe even a Murkrow.

Chuck should end up with a Hitmontop and a Poliwrath/Heracross. Personally, I could see him having a Donphan or a Granbull/Usaring for variety in typing.

Jasmine would be fine if they added a Skarmory and/or a Scizor to her team.

Pryce should definently get a Sneasel. Maybe a Lapras too. I think that they could give him a pokemon with the Thick Fat ability to help balance his team out (Not Miltank, maybe Snorlax or Azumarill). Personally, I could imagine him with a Slowbro/Slowking.

Clair needs less Dragonairs. Gyrados would be a great choice for her IMO, since it's practically a dragon. She should have a 5th pokemon though, especially since she's the last gym leader.

Clair needs less Dragonairs. Gyrados would be a great choice for her IMO, since it's practically a dragon. She should have a 5th pokemon though, especially since she's the last gym leader.[/QUOTE]

agreed but her problem is sharing her type with lance and there only being 4 dragon types and metioned before dragonite is too good plus gyarados is shared with lance which is also why chuck didnt have an hitmontop because bruno has one.

Yea but i think that a 2 seadra 2 dragnair kingdra
would be more acceptable

agreed but her problem is sharing her type with lance and there only being 4 dragon types and metioned before dragonite is too good plus gyarados is shared with lance which is also why chuck didnt have an hitmontop because bruno has one.

Yea but i think that a 2 seadra 2 dragnair kingdra
would be more acceptable

expand the pokeddex. take gabite, shellgon, or vibrara (or their evos) just becaus ethis is a jhoto game it doesnt mean yoiu cant hhave non jhoto original pokemon in the pokedex. I think adding Garchomp and Salamence to the game is overdoing it but flygon. Ya. also, Lance has to have one more psuedo-legendary such as Salamence, he is mr. dragon.

What TM's will they hand out?

Falkner TM88 Pluck
Bugsy TM89 U-Turn
Whitney TM45 Attract
Morty TM31 Shadow Ball
Chuck TM52 Focus Blast
Jasmine TM23 Iron Tail
Pryce TM72 Avalanche
Clair TM59 Dragon Pulse

How about this?

JOHTO GYM LEADERS

Falkner
Pidgeotto 15
Natu 12

Bugsy
Spinarak 18
Scyther 20

Whitney
Clefairy 22
Granbull 23
Miltank 25

Morty
Misdreavus 27
Haunter 28
Gengar 30

Chuck
Poliwrath 32
Heracross 32
Hitmontop 33
Primeape 34

Jasmine
Magneton 37
Skarmory 37
Forretress 35
Steelix 38

Pryce
Dewgong 40
Piloswine 39
Sneasel 41
Lapras 42

Clair
Dragonair 45
Dragonair 43
Kingdra 42
Gyarados 42
Pupitar 44

ELITE FOUR

Will
Xatu 49
Slowking 53
Girafarig 51
Exeggutor 50
Jynx 52

Koga
Ariados 53
Muk 56
Crobat 54
Forretress 51
Venomoth 50

Bruno
Hitmontop 53
Hitmonchan 53
Hitmonlee 54
Steelix 56
Machamp 57

Karen
Houndoom 58
Murkrow 56
Tyranitar 61
Umbreon 57
Persian 56

Lance
Dragonite 58
Gyarados 59
Aerdactyl 61
Charizard 63
Dragonite 64
Feraligatr 60

KANTO GYM LEADERS

Brock
Golem 56
Steelix 57
Rhydon 58
Omastar 56
Kabutops 59

Misty
Golduck 58
Quagsire 59
Lapras 59
Starmie 57
Lanturn 60

Lt. Surge
Raichu 59
Electrode 60
Electabuzz 61
Magneton 59
Ampharos 60

Erika
Victreebel 60
Vileplume 61
Bellossom 60
Jumpluff 62
Tangela 62

Janine
Weezing 62
Qwilfish 62
Crobat 63
Ariados 64
Nidoqueen 63

Sabrina
Espeon 64
Mr. Mime 63
Alakazam 65
Hypno 66
Venomoth 64

Blaine
Magcargo 65
Magmar 66
Rapidash 67
Houndoom 66
Arcanine 68

Blue
Heracross 69
Tyranitar 69
Alakazam 70
Gyarados 72
Exeggutor 71
Arcanine 73

Seriously, I think Red's team should become stronger every time you have a re-match. His strongest team should contain Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon, like Sceptile and Infernape.
And his Pikachu should be level 1337.

Chuck is going to hand out TM01 Focus Punch, mark my words. His Poliwrath will use it after putting you to sleep with Hypnosis.

I'm happy with all the other TMs that Magmaster suggested, though.

His teams are also really nice, but I have a differing of opinion on the number of Pokemon that the Leaders will have. Basically, I think they're going to do something like this:

Falkner: 3 Pokemon
Bugsy: 3 Pokemon
Whitney: 3 Pokemon
Morty: 3 Pokemon
Chuck: 3 Pokemon
Jasmine: 3 Pokemon
Pryce: 4 Pokemon
Clair: 4 Pokemon

It's what they did in Gen IV, and a Gym Leader with just 2 Pokemon is soooooo Gen I :p

probably won't happen, but:

falkner: hoothoot, hoothoot, noctowl*
bugsy: spinarak, ariados, scyther
whitney: togetic, aipom/teddiursa, granbull, miltank
morty: misdreavus, haunter, gengar
chuck: poliwrath, heracross, hitmontop
jasmine: magnemite, magneton, skarmory, steelix
pryce: delibird, lapras, piloswine
clair: dratini**, gyarados, kingdra

will: jynx, girafarig, slowbro, slowking, wobbuffet
koga: venomoth, beedrill, forretress, nidoking, crobat
bruno: hitmonlee, hitmonchan, primeape, sudowoodo, machamp
karen: murkrow, houndoom, umbreon, sneasel, tyranitar
lance: kangaskhan, aerodactyl, dragonair, dragonair, dragonite

johto gym rematches:

falkner: noctowl, dodrio, mantine, staraptor, tropius, gliscor
bugsy: ariados, ledian, masquerain, pinsir, yanmega scizor
whitney: togekiss, ambipom/ursaring, granbull, miltank, lickilicky, blissey
morty: gengar, banette, drifblim, spiritomb, mismagius, dusknoir
chuck: poliwrath, heracross, hitmontop, hariyama, gallade, blaziken
jasmine: wormadam, magnezone, skarmory, probopass, steelix, metagross
pryce: lapras, glaceon, glalie, walrein, froslass, mamoswine
clair: gyarados, altaria, altaria, garchomp, salamence, kingdra

elite four rematches:

will: lunatone, solrock, gardevoir, slowking, wobbuffet
koga: swalot, roserade, forretress, nidoking, crobat
bruno: toxicroak, hitmonchan, breloom, sudowoodo, machamp
karen: honchkrow, houndoom, umbreon, weavile, tyranitar
lance: kangaskhan, aerodactyl, flygon, dragonair, dragonite

brock: magcargo, shuckle, golem, omastar, kabutops, rhydon
misty: starmie, politoed, tentacruel, feraligatr, blastoise
lt. surge: lanturn, electrode, electabuzz, ampharos, raichu
sabrina: hypno, mr. mime, xatu, exeggutor, espeon, alakazam
erika: victreebel, sunflora/tangela, jumpluff, meganium, venusaur
janine: arbok, muk, weezing, qwilfish, nidoqueen
blaine: magmar, ninetales, rapidash, typhlosion, charizard
blue: pidgeot, vileplume, dugtrio, vaporeon, persian, arcanine

red: snorlax, venusaur, charizard, blastoise, pikachu, mewtwo***

* they could easily do what they've done with his pidgeotto and wattson's magneton.
** lance already has two dragonair and it kind of bugs me that two people have the same pokémon, except for red.
*** LOL, idkkk.

Last edited:
Like it was to early for Misty to have a staryu or for Gardenia to have a Roserade

Why am I the only one here who thinks Bugsy should have Scizor?

Oh, I forgot that Scizor was even an option for him.

He already has a Scyther though, a Scizor is just overkill. I'm with everyone else, it should only be for rematches.

And since he should have that for rematches, it wouldn't make sense for Jasmine to have a Scizor too.

Besides, like I already said, I don't like it when the Gym Leaders all have pokemon of only one type. They're more challenging with 1-2 pokemon of a different type.

Why am I the only one here who thinks Bugsy should have Scizor?

an uber defensive pokemon that resists most types of attacks found early on in the game and can only taken down by a fire type? No thanks. It's too early.

Considering that sinnoh pokemon are possibly in the games, perhaps Pryce should have Mamoswine?

Besides, like I already said, I don't like it when the Gym Leaders all have pokemon of only one type. They're more challenging with 1-2 pokemon of a different type.

Do you mean like, Volkner style in DP (with Octillery and Ambipom) and Elite Four Flint?
If so, I'm with you, provided the Pokemon with different types are somehow related to the leader's type, or have a move of that type (e.g. Octillery with Charge Beam, Steelix with Fire Fang...)

Do you mean like, Volkner style in DP (with Octillery and Ambipom) and Elite Four Flint?
If so, I'm with you, provided the Pokemon with different types are somehow related to the leader's type, or have a move of that type (e.g. Octillery with Charge Beam, Steelix with Fire Fang...)

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. It makes for better type-coverage, and thus a harder battle IMO. It would especially work with the Johto Gym Leaders, since they cover a lot of types that don't have many pokemon in GSC/HGSS.

Like, I dunno know about you guys, but I could see Morty with one of the Slowpokes or a Drowzee. Something like that.

I kind of agree with that point. When you rematch the gym leaders in Platinum, once your Pokémon are at a really high level, you can get one of them to sweep the entire gym leader's team with the stronger type. I like the idea of type coverage, but I think it'd work better just with rematches.

Falkner: Natu
Bugsy: Yanma
Whitney: Aipom
Morty: Misdreavus
Jasmine: Magneton
Chuck: Hitmontop
Pryce: Lapras
Clair: this one's difficult without knowing what additions have been made to the Johto Dex...

Ultimately, though, I hope there are rematchable Gym Leaders...

Falkner: Pidgeot/Fearow/Xatu/Togekiss/Farfetch'd/Altaria

Bugsy: Butterfree/Beedrill/Scizor/Mothim/Ariados/Heracross

Whitney: Ambipom/Clefable/Miltank/Granbull/Smeargle/Blissey

Morty: Mismagius/Sableye/Gengar/Froslass/Spiritomb/Dusknoir

Jasmine: Magnezone/Metagross/Skarmory/Steelix/Probopass/Empoleon

Chuck: Poliwrath/Primeape/Hitmontop/Infernape/Hariyama/Toxicroak

Pryce: Mamoswine/Lapras/Delibird/Glalie/Weavile/Walrein

Clair: Salamence/Kingdra/Venusaur/Tauros/Feraligatr/Nidoqueen

The lack of Dragon-types made Clair's team hard to do, so I just gave her Pokémon that get Outrage instead. I also tried to use as many Johto Pokémon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom