• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you only have to glance on that and the first things that stick out are all the red boxes in the water and steel column. @_@

I'm a little confused as to anything else.

Look at the numbers to see what's what. The light green and pink boxes are changes from the original setting.

And I think he put Grass supereffective to Electric because Grass needs another potential target, Electric was not very effective when attacking Grass already, and Grass could strike an electric type and disable their electricity, meaning more damage.

Grass good against Electric? I... can't quite picture that.

Grass could strike an electric type and disable their electricity, meaning more damage.

...What? Electric being NVE against Grass is already logic fail enough (ever seen what a lightning bolt can do to a tree?), we don't need Grass >> Electric too.

And while we're on the subject of Electric, how 'bout they add in the obvious Electric >> Steel weakness to help nerf Steel a bit more?

I don't think a new type would be beneficial, to be honest. We have plenty as it is and an additional type would just make it even more confusing and possibly even less balanced...

Another thing that bugs me is ground's weakness to grass. How does that work? Sure, trees and plants grow roots in the ground. If anything, that makes grass types dependant on the ground, not the other way around.

Another thing that bugs me is ground's weakness to grass. How does that work? Sure, trees and plants grow roots in the ground. If anything, that makes grass types dependant on the ground, not the other way around.

Grass absorbs nutrients from the ground, therefore, it drains its energy. Draining a Grond Pokémon's energy will surely weaken it.

If we're applying biological weathering, then Flying types should be super effective to ground types too.

It's always seemed to me that Flying doesn't necessarily equal Wind, though that isn't a bad idea in comparison to some of the other fixes I've heard (except for the fact that so many Ground types are also Rock types).

Flying could use the change into wind to free up the theme of it. It's needed it for a while. I don't think it would affect much of the mechanics of the Pokemon universe though, except we could see more Flying/Wind-type Pokemon that don't have wings and pure Wind-types.

Flying could use the change into wind to free up the theme of it. It's needed it for a while. I don't think it would affect much of the mechanics of the Pokemon universe though, except we could see more Flying/Wind-type Pokemon that don't have wings and pure Wind-types.

I agree. The type should just go flying->wind.

I actually think they should be separate types. A lot of Flying-type moves are based on wings, beaks, feathers, etc. that Wind-type Pokémon wouldn't necessarily have, and the type concepts themselves aren't completely in alignment: it's totally conceivable to have a Pokémon affiliated with wind that doesn't fly, or that flies but doesn't have much to do with wind itself. So they'd have to divide up which current Pokémon would stay Flying and which would become Wind, which isn't too hard. For example: all the birds and other things with wings should keep Flying; the Hoppip family, which just kind of floats around, could change to Grass/Wind; some of the Normal/Flying types could be Wind/Flying (like Pigeot), some could stay Normal/Flying (like Fearow), and some could even just be single-type Flying. It'd be a huge change, but with as many dual-type Flying Pokémon as there are, it could go a long way toward a better balance if the weaknesses were worked out correctly.

A lot of Flying-type moves are based on wings, beaks, feathers, etc. that Wind-type Pokémon wouldn't necessarily have

I'm not sure if this matters, considering there are a great number of Pokemon without parts of a bird that can still learn the bird-oriented Flying-type moves. IE - Crawdaunt with Aerial Ace. Goldeen with peck. Volbeat and Dunsparce with Roost.

I'm not sure if this matters, considering there are a great number of Pokemon without parts of a bird that can still learn the bird-oriented Flying-type moves. IE - Crawdaunt with Aerial Ace. Goldeen with peck. Volbeat and Dunsparce with Roost.

Which is kind of my point - Goldeen and Crawdaunt are a bit beside the point since them having those moves wouldn't make any more sense whether they were Wind or Flying (having been added, I suspect, just to deal with Grass-types), but Volbeat and Dunsparce (which is implied to have once been able to use its wings - and might again if it finally gets an evolution) both have wings, and roosting is essentially settling into a rest by adjusting the wings. So that particular Flying move makes sense for them, whereas if it were a Wind move, it would seem a bit weird.

Well I would imagine that the descriptions and illustrations for the attacks and moves would just get more windy. For instance, Roost would show a gentle breeze over the Pokemon that glows green. Peck would cause a tornado-shaped dagger to form on the Pokemon using the move. Etc.

Besides, if you spin off flying into being only about bird-stuff, then you need to go back and make Torchic and Piplup and the like Flying-types too, since even though they can't attack with tornadoes or fly, they're still birds.

Well I would imagine that the descriptions and illustrations for the attacks and moves would just get more windy. For instance, Roost would show a gentle breeze over the Pokemon that glows green. Peck would cause a tornado-shaped dagger to form on the Pokemon using the move. Etc.

Besides, if you spin off flying into being only about bird-stuff, then you need to go back and make Torchic and Piplup and the like Flying-types too, since even though they can't attack with tornadoes or fly, they're still birds.

But now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said any Flying-type attacks were bird-based, I said they were based on feathers, wings, beaks, etc. - all things birds have, but not only birds. And I certainly didn't say that all Pokémon that learned any Flying-type move or looked like birds must be Flying-type themselves - that would be as silly as suggesting that Gardevoir has to be an Electric-type because it can learn Thunderbolt.

And yes, they could change the animations, but that does nothing about the names, which would then seem ridiculous. Roost being a gentle healing wind makes no sense (not to mention that the move takes away ground-type immunity for a turn, which makes it even more nonsensical). Same with Peck: why would a move called that involve a dagger of wind?

I think the type chart is fine as it is... the only thing needed to balance things out is probably more type combinations... and less water types.

This. Except for the fewer water types part.

What type would it be? I think the type chart is balanced enough as it is and all they need to do is give pokemon moves and type combos that will bring some of the less used types into the spotlight. I mean, Scizor is so overused now because he has only one weakness do to his typing and because the bug types and steel types now have some reliable and good moves.

I personally just want one more type, for a nice even 18. But what that new type's attributes would be, I don't know. With the below in mind, it'd be easier to pick effectiveness and work backwards.

Current problems with the types:

* Water and Steel are overpowered on defense.
* Fire and Ice are underpowered on defense.
* Steel, Grass, and Poison are underpowered on offense.
* Fighting, Ice, and Ground are overpowered on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom