• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo suffers hack attack: US server compromised but no customer data stolen, says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nintendo suffers hack attack: US server compromised but no customer data stolen,

"We're not targeting Nintendo. We like the N64 too much - we sincerely hope Nintendo plugs the gap."

What.

1. If they really aren't lying, who the hell were they targeting this time?
2. N64? Nintendo 64? Where the hell have these guys been for the past 15 years?

Re: Nintendo suffers hack attack: US server compromised but no customer data stolen,

What.

1. If they really aren't lying, who the hell were they targeting this time?

Of course they're not "targeting" Nintendo. If they were, they would have done what they did to Fox, Sony, and PBS.
They probably could have leaked everything if they wanted to.

Yea, I understand exactly. I've met a lot of people who are hackers, some of them who did exactly what lulz did. They really aren't always bad people. Now, in this case, they did post people's info from the PSN online, but what they did to Nintendo is usually the point that they mean to make.

They did attack Sony, but the leaked data has nothing to do with PSN.

Besides, it's not like Sony was hard to hack, they had 10 year old server software and every bit of data was in text docs, not even encrypted. >__<

Seriously? Wow.... that's shameful.

They hacked them on purpose, right? Of course, you can't just accidentally hack people. Their "apology" makes no sense in context. Are they just trying to test Nintendo?

Yea, I understand exactly. I've met a lot of people who are hackers, some of them who did exactly what lulz did. They really aren't always bad people. Now, in this case, they did post people's info from the PSN online, but what they did to Nintendo is usually the point that they mean to make.
I think in Sony's case, considering how apparently unsafe it was, they needed to make a loud enough point to get them to actually care.
Umm....

Just because the N64's been decommissioned, it does not mean people cannot appreciate what they probably believe to be Nintendo's last great console. Thus, pointed out their love for the N64 because that was probably the last thing nintendo made that they enjoyed.

At least when Nintendo was hacked, it didn't mess things up the way it did for sony.

That explained who hacked the PSN...
They need to get a life because they wasting time on pointless hacking

First Sony with the PSN, then Nintendo's US servers...

Calling it now, Microsoft is next on the hackers list.

Nah, Apple's next. Then Microsoft.

Something tells me this is their weird way of commemorating E3 and the reveal of Project Cafe.:p Not to mention that Nintendo's part of the conference takes place tomorrow.

Something tells me this is their weird way of commemorating E3 and the reveal of Project Cafe.:p Not to mention that Nintendo's part of the conference takes place tomorrow.

Pretty much what I was going to say. The Wii's successor had better be something undeniably awesome or Lulz will be coming back to hack Nintendo again.

Well, a bit of background history...recently these guys, Lulzsec, hacked a Sony website...and released personal information of users who had registered there including email and passwords. I don't think they're the group who hacked the PSN originally, but they've been gaining a lot of bad press for their hacking lately...they hacked PBS simply because they aired a documentary about Wikileaks, and even an FBI site too.

Either way, they're really not the type of hackers who are out to simply warn companies of flaws in their security...they're pretty much braggarts and thugs, and most people are worried that their actions will result in pretty strict Internet laws.

These hackers are obviously the same ones who hacked the PSN network, and Xbox live may be their next target, given the organizations name, it's obviously a bunch of users from the imageboard that must not be named, and like usuall, they support WikiLeaks, which is hacker central and is filled to the brim with illegal software downloads and invade peoples privacy just to make peoples lives miserable. These guys are just like any other hacker, a bunch of nerds who are never happy until everything goes their way.....

Actually, from what I hear, the group's actually split off from 4chan...and apparently, they've been losing support from there due to their actions.

Because Lulzsec is being so loud and vocal about what they're doing (they have a Twitter...), a lot of people have gotten pissed at them. It hurts the more "noble" hackers, it hurts the companies (and not just big corporations since they went after PBS too, a public funded organization), and it hurts the innocent consumers who now have to worry about their credit cards and email accounts being compromised simply so a group can brag about it with outdated internet slang.

EDIT: Yeah, apparently, one of the Lulzsec hackers just got hacked by someone from 4chan and turned into the FBI...so, yeah.

Why do I keep reading the title as "Nintendo suffers heart attack" :( ? I'm not dyslexic...

Hopefully Lulz Security gets into some legal issues or something. They had no right doing that.

-dies-
Well, as long as the GTS stays up.

EDIT: Yeah, apparently, one of the Lulzsec hackers just got hacked by someone from 4chan and turned into the FBI...so, yeah.
It's kind of funny how the imageboard they associated themselves with at a point ends up back-stabbing them... God dammit 4chan is such a crap hole.

I am at least glad Nintendo was able to handle the situation much better than Sony.

I don't know about you guys, but from what I understood of the article, the hacking was not of malicious intent, but done to point out serious flaws in the system.

What they did was more grey-hat than anything. Most system administrators would rather have a file named "readme.lol" appear in their root directory, containing a list of hundreds of misconfigurations and exploits, than continue to have an insecure system be accessed by thousands of people every day.

What they did was more grey-hat than anything. Most system administrators would rather have a file named "readme.lol" appear in their root directory, containing a list of hundreds of misconfigurations and exploits, than continue to have an insecure system be accessed by thousands of people every day.
Obviously, if they were white-hat they wouldn't have publicized this as much as they did, just point it out to the companies. However, the hack wasn't to bring anything down, nor was it for profit. Though sony's case was treading more on the dark side than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom