• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's exactly why I feel like it's too late for SwSh.
You can't exactly expect a video-game company to release completely new games back to back 3 years in a row from the same exact studio, especially if it is a smaller studio like Game Freak.

Nostalgia at the moment has become a problem at the moment, especially in the west. It has already outstayed it's welcome, and it seems like the only option they have over risks in making another fresh and new.

I for one hope that the SwSh anime would go back to journeying and collecting badges. Just saw the episode with the London cameo and felt as if something is missing within the series, whether Team Rocket or the journey.

I'm not saying this for nostalgia, but for what works.
I don't see this "nostalgia is a problem, especially in the west" thing. I don't believe that the west has any real influence and they have definitely tried new things with the franchise in the past few years, but there was a Kanto lean due to the recent anniversary. Also probably the fact that Gen 1 pokemon have much simpler designs than newer pokemon and that makes them more of a blank slate to work with- not to mention that they've had so many more years for the artists to look at them and go "You would look so much cooler if I did this to you."

I do agree that the anime needs to go back to journeying, though- Sun and Moon feels far more stagnant by rooting Ash in one place.

I mean the movies
You're kind of basing this on just the Mewtwo movie which I'm pretty sure is being remade as a semi-belated anniversary for the original film considering that it was released 20 years ago in Japan as of July last year and 20 years ago in the US as of November this year.

We will probably go back to regular films following this one- or that alternate universe regular, anyway.

I mean the movies

Well, who knows? At this point I believe they wanted to try new things because the movies were getting pretty formulaic from what I remember from the first six movies and descriptions of the rest.

At least, until this movie where they are just giving a new coat of paint to the first movie. I guess they could only get lazier if they also re-used the audio, but I doubt they will even try that, right?

Well, who knows? At this point I believe they wanted to try new things because the movies were getting pretty formulaic from what I remember from the first six movies and descriptions of the rest.

At least, until this movie where they are just giving a new coat of paint to the first movie. I guess they could only get lazier if they also re-used the audio, but I doubt they will even try that, right?
XD I would 100% support them using the original audio for the English version but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Especially the English soundtrack- that's gonna be such a loss.

XD I would 100% support them using the original audio for the English version but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Especially the English soundtrack- that's gonna be such a loss.
Well, I was talking about the Japanese audio, but I would support something like that for the LA version, too.

I don't see this "nostalgia is a problem, especially in the west" thing. I don't believe that the west has any real influence and they have definitely tried new things with the franchise in the past few years, but there was a Kanto lean due to the recent anniversary. Also probably the fact that Gen 1 pokemon have much simpler designs than newer pokemon and that makes them more of a blank slate to work with- not to mention that they've had so many more years for the artists to look at them and go "You would look so much cooler if I did this to you."

I do agree that the anime needs to go back to journeying, though- Sun and Moon feels far more stagnant by rooting Ash in one place.

You're kind of basing this on just the Mewtwo movie which I'm pretty sure is being remade as a semi-belated anniversary for the original film considering that it was released 20 years ago in Japan as of July last year and 20 years ago in the US as of November this year.

We will probably go back to regular films following this one- or that alternate universe regular, anyway.
Yeah you're right. I suppose this year would still be for LGPE and to celibrate Mewtwo before bouncing to SwSh. I for one look forward to what lies in store.

I also hope for the anime to do better. Hopefully more XY, DP than BW or even SM

Don't forget that real leakers like April 1st. It's just a safe way to drop real info without receiving too much attention.

Don't forget that real leakers like April 1st. It's just a safe way to drop real info without receiving too much attention.
364 days of fake leaks with 1 with real leaks, even though it's called ''April Fool's Day''?

What a strange world to live in.

Agreed on watching out for actual leaks tomorrow. Let's Go and some Sun/Moon leaks (I think Alola forms, but I can't remember) came out on April 1st so don't immediately write off everything as fake.

Agreed on watching out for actual leaks tomorrow. Let's Go and some Sun/Moon leaks (I think Alola forms, but I can't remember) came out on April 1st so don't immediately write off everything as fake.
Actually, just the LGPE leaks came out on April 1st.

While I do agree with this statement, along with the idea they will likely have less attention on them not only because it's on April 1st, but because there is probably going to be a million other fakes that day.

But, I do think it's important that now because Let's Go was leaked on Aprils 1st, there is going to be a lot of leaks on the 1st that are going to try as hard as possible to look real, because they know they can get some attention. And based on bug/dragon fake that we got in early March, there is some really great talent out there that know how to make something look real.

So basically I think we should definitely keep on eye on the leaks, but still be just as critical as ever.

Idk why this didn't cross my mind before but... What if the player is wearing sports gear because gym puzzles this time will incorporate motion controls? Think Wii Sports or something.

Of course it could go either way but tbh I wouldn't be surprised if any hypothetical "real leaker intending to leak on April 1st" or w/e would keep quiet today. The community seems to half-expect/half-hope that something like that will happen in light of recent history and has been talking in advance about the possibility for weeks now, which would probably be a bit discouraging if one's intent is to drop something but have it fly under the radar as anything dropped today would be extra-scrutinised. If I had any information to share, at least, I would hesitate to conclude that legit-sounding posts today would be passed off as "obvious April's fool's shenanigans" like sometimes before.

Funny how these kinds of things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom