• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to underline that I'm the first one who would have preferred a brand new generation with new pokemon and a new region rather than a reebot/remake in Kanto (I don't really know actually if there's someone here who wouldn't) but if I have to be rational and to look at what the last months point to I must admit that things don't look exactly good for a new generation.

- The death of the flying eeveelution possibility and Paul Ryan stating that the marchandise for the summer does not include any new mystery at the moment but just Kanto and Johto stuff.
Surely previous games didn't have new merchandise within two months of their announcement?
- The new movie not featuring any new pokemon apart from Zeraora while all the other port movies had at least one new pokemon from the next generation.
And every time a Pokemon game was released on a new console, it was a new generation. A pattern will be broken whether the next game is a reboot or a new generation, so they're probably not the best way to predict major future events.
- All the pokemon Webmasters openly taking distance from the possibility that the games will be gen 8 for sure.
Wasn't this a matter of saying "this isn't for certain" rather than "I don't think this is likely"? (Besides, I find it hard to believe every "Pokemon webmaster" is somehow of the same opinion)

I think you rather don't want to believe in that rumor. One doesn't close their mind for nothing. Given that you haven't summed up your arguments as to why you don't believe in it I'm assuming it's due to personal preferences.
Why would Game Freak start their first core game on a home console (a pretty big step when you think about it) with a remake of a 20+ year old region we traveled to 4 gens in a row and had a lot of refrences in Gen7? Starting with a brand new generation with a new region to explore, new Pokemon, characters etc. Would better no?

Surely previous games didn't have new merchandise within two months of their announcement?

And every time a Pokemon game was released on a new console, it was a new generation. A pattern will be broken whether the next game is a reboot or a new generation, so they're probably not the best way to predict major future events.

Wasn't this a matter of saying "this isn't for certain" rather than "I don't think this is likely"? (Besides, I find it hard to believe every "Pokemon webmaster" is somehow of the same opinion)
1) They actually did. Sylveon did, Magearna did for example...
2) A pattern will be broken, this may also be the case of a new generation for a new system :)
3) Ok, not all but those who may know something. The point is not that they don't know about it but that they don't feel safe at all to talk about a new generation. They never replied to someone saying: "please don't assume the games won't be gen 8" while they replied a lot of times saying "please don't assume the games will be gen 8".
Why would Game Freak start their first core game on a home console (a pretty big step when you think about it) with a remake of a 20+ year old region we traveled to 4 gens in a row and had a lot of refrences in Gen7? Starting with a brand new generation with a new region to explore, new Pokemon, characters etc. Would better no?
Because they are litterally obsessed with the idea that putting gen 1 in every pokemon game is like playing safe with the fans. It's basically like a concert where people keep asking the singer that one song he/she made 20 years before.

I want an analysis of the merch during a new gen promotional period.

For your first sentence it's because we're dealing with GF. For your second sentence that's your opinion (which I agree on). However opinions (even general opinions) have never had a decisive outcome when it comes to Pokemon. So keep an open mind, you'll need it (unless you want to expose yourself to a huge letdown).

I want an analysis of the merch during a new gen promotional period.
Don't know much about merchandise but all the other gens had a couple of their pokemon in a movie or in the anime. So for example, Magearna, Sylveon, Zoroark, Lucario, Manaphy etc. had their merchandise months before the release of their respective games because they were included in the movies. Dusk Lycanroc and the new UBs in USUM had their merchandise misteries months before November. Pokemon like Noivern, Munchlax probably had their merchandise because they appeared in the anime before their games release.
The problem now is that there are no new pokemon in the upcoming movie and no new pokemon merchandise misteries till September (for now). This does not mean that there won't be for sure but right now this is what we know: nothing.

It's also your opinion that GF is nothing but a nostalgia machine.

For your first sentence it's because we're dealing with GF. For your second sentence that's your own opinion (which I agree on). However opinions (even general opinions) have never had a decisive outcome when it comes to Pokemon. So keep an open mind because you'll need it (I'd say prepare yourself for a letdown).
I say it's more that I cant wrap my head around it. Same with the Switch game being only one version instead of the traditional 2. Its not impossible but it's certainly...iffy

In general general opinions do have value. On top of that there's proof for that (numerous references). But hey don't you determine what I think because me feeling that GF is a nostalgia machine is a reality created by your subjective deductions, so it's not like you don't have an opinion on me (in fact you're even labeling which I find to be disturbing but oh well)

My reaction would be that you're going to have to do a TON of convincing for me to buy a reboot. No new pokemon? I'll only overlook that if we get a new story. If not, screw it.

Personally I don't think so. However if you look at the past years we have had two reboots of the first anime episode and of the second movie, kanto starters in gen 6 with gen 1 getting plenty of mega evolutions, Alola forms just for gen 1 pokemon. We visited Kanto in gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 and gen 4. We have had 6 remakes, a lot of the Unova pokemon mimic gen 1 pokemon (Conkeldurr, audino, swoobat, gigalith, gothitelle that were basically the new machamp, chansey, golbat, golem and alakazam). Ash going back to Kanto in the s/m anime with Brock and Misty. A lot of references to Jotho in Alola.
I mean, it's not like GF wants to keep secret that they have a feticism for the first gens.

Personally I don't think so. However if you look at the past years we have had two reboots of the first anime episode and of the second movie, kanto starters in gen 6 with gen 1 getting plenty of mega evolutions, Alola forms just for gen 1 pokemon. We visited Kanto in gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 and gen 4. We have had 6 remakes, a lot of the Unova pokemon mimic gen 1 pokemon (Conkeldurr, audino, swoobat, gigalith, gothitelle that were basically the new machamp, chansey, golbat, golem and alakazam). Ash going back to Kanto in the s/m anime with Brock and Misty. A lot of references to Jotho in Alola.
I mean, it's not like GF wants to keep secret that they have a feticism for the first gens.

Thanks for consolidating my 'On top of that there's proof for that (numerous references)' argument.

to be fair, 7th generation as a whole was more or less the "anniversary" generation, celebrating the start of the franchise, which is why it seems like GF has been going wild with nostalgia lately. M20 was specifically because of the anniversary, M21 as a sequel makes sense due to the success of the first.

I'm betting that gamefreak planned gen 7 to be a short one because of it. I'll eat crow if we end up waiting another 2 years for gen 8, but I don't ever see them going back to 4 year generations in current times where people move on from things so quick, and have plentyyyy competing for their attention.

Did I miss something? I haven't seen Piuk say anything about how many pokemon there are, and if he did, THERE IS NOTHING IN THE GAME'S DIALOGUE THAT WOULD SAY THAT AT ALL. You can possibly add up all the new names, but you would have to consciously be doing that and wasting time, not to mention that you would've had to have seen all the rosters in the game, which there is no way he could know that off the snippets he supposedly gets.

I thought that too, I checked the data dialogues for gens 1-7, in each there are people / professors / rotom dex who do state the maximum amounts of mons caught in each national and local dex. It's still very possible if he is on the translation team for him to have that info. Whether or not he is on the full translation / localisation team is another story, but if he is that info is really easy for him to get.

I thought that too, I checked the data dialogues for gens 1-7, in each there are people / professors / rotom dex who do state the maximum amounts of mons caught in each national and local dex. It's still very possible if he is on the translation team for him to have that info. Whether or not he is on the full translation / localisation team is another story, but if he is that info is really easy for him to get.
Piuk mentioned in his first leak that he counted at least 17 new Pokemon if I remember correctly

If Eevee does get a form then how does that affect evolutions? Or would the form Eevee have only one possible evolution?

I think I would like to create a new Eevee form (think own tempo Rockruff) and unironically keep all of its evolutionary methods, but with different forms/evolutions. Fire stone on Alt Eevee = alt flareon or stoneon etc. It's not the best solution but I think it would be rather easy to implement and could reasonably make sense (these stones, places, times of day, etc. still affect this eevee, but differently from the eevee you're used to)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom