• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Online Relationships - Your Opinion? [WARNING: Controversial Topic?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, the original intent on my side of this stupid arguement was not to get him infracted or abide to rules. It was to avoid unneccesary complaints about Chaos and Dana.

AshTheManKetchum said:
Don't cry Dewgong, I like rules too. =)

yup

@ATMK I love just rules as well.

@Dewgong Thank you for having my best interests in mind. I was not aware Dana and Chaos were so easily offended or defensive about their relationship. I'll keep that in mind with future posts.

You know what, we're done here. This is pointless, literally, the point you're trying to make is just to make me look stupid.

See you around

@Dewgong Thank you for having my best interests in mind. I was not aware Dana and Chaos were so easily offended or defensive about their relationship. I'll keep that in mind with future posts.

It's not what you're saying, dude, it's how you're saying it. It's like you have a problem with us.

@ATMK I love just rules as well.

Dude. Whenever you put "relationship" in quote marks like that? It sure looks like you're TRYING to offend, and you can't blame them for rising to the bait.

Speaking as someone who's been there (and had it fail miserably, but that's besides the point) you might not be a troll, but you sure look like one.

@Chaos I have no problems with anyone. I'm never judgemental, heck I don't even have an online girlfriend. I just came in when you felt the need to tell ATMK to "Shut up" when I thought he was making some legitmate points.

My take on it is this... PokieFan09 is trying really hard to troll, but he fails miserably at it. He's neither entertaining or overly offensive, he's just trying to grease the wheels a bit.

I'll return to this thread when some real discussion on internet relationships continues.

@Chaos I have no problems with anyone. I'm never judgemental, heck I don't even have an online girlfriend. I just came in when you felt the need to tell ATMK to "Shut up" when I thought he was making some legitmate points.

Yeah, you're right. I said it to the wrong person.

I should have said it to you. Now stop trolling this thread and let people have an intelligent debate, yeah?

@Birdboy I hope I'm not coming off as a troll. As you somewhat alluded to, I'm being very reasonable and haven't been disparaging in any ways. I can see where you are coming from which is why I don't take offense to this. Also, I don't recall every putting relationship in quotation marks. Sorry if I did offend anyone.

@Covet I want the real discuss to continue, I'm the one who told Dewgong to stop with the mentioning of infraction points, etc. So, if you would like to bring something up, I think you should take the initative.

@Chaos Very polite, but I emphasize with you so I won't take offense. Last time I checked this thread died too prematurely and was trying to breathe life back into it.

Thus, continue...

My opinion:

Online relationships are usually less sucessful than IRL. That point is obvious.

@Birdboy I hope I'm not coming off as a troll. As you somewhat alluded to, I'm being very reasonable and haven't been disparaging in any ways. I can see where you are coming from which is why I don't take offense to this. Also, I don't recall every putting relationship in quotation marks. Sorry if I did offend anyone.

@Covet I want the real discuss to continue, I'm the one who told Dewgong to stop with the mentioning of infraction points, etc. So, if you would like to bring something up, I think you should take the initative.

@Chaos Very polite, but I emphasize with you so I won't take offense. Last time I checked this thread died too prematurely and was trying to breathe life back into it.

Thus, continue...

My bad. You put "dating" in quotation marks. :p

My opinion:

Online relationships are usually less sucessful than IRL. That point is obvious.

I agree, a lot of online relationships consist of two people who don't know what they're doing or are too desperate to think about what it is they're getting into.

The ones that work out are the ones where the couple plans to get together ASAP, and where they're dead serious about each other.

Eh, I wouldn't call Pokiefan a troll. He is just very opinionated. In terms of this debate, I don't really have anything else to add. I think we should just start glomping each other as a part of the healing process XD

@Birdboy I do consider internet dating to be on a different level as real life dating, so sue me. You can't really date someone on the internet (i.e. go places with them and spend true time together).

@Chaos Do you really have the resources and family backing to move to Long Island or Dana to England?

@ATMK I don't think Chaos or Dana wanna glomp me as they just defriended me.

My opinion:

I'm not so sure about that. Honestly, I think if you're willing to get into a relationship with someone far away, there have to be pretty strong feelings behind it... A ton of offline relationships break apart in a matter of months or even weeks, but I've never seen an online relationship shorter than a year. (Not saying those don't happen, but usually if people are willing to endure that distance to be together, they have to have pretty strong feelings to begin with.)

And honestly, I'd take it *more* seriously if someone a plane flight away asked me out than if someone nearby did. 'cause with an online relationship you sacrifice so much of the physical side, and if they'll ask you out from nothing more than a picture or conversations? You *KNOW* they really like you.

(Okay, maybe not know - I mean, people can be manipulative and cheat and such over the internet as well, but you have to trust your partner either way for it to work out. And practically no one goes into an online relationship half-hearted about it, or for the sex, or anything like that.)

Though it's a moot point in my case. I'm happily dating someone from my hometown, and if that fails I'll probably give up on 3-D women.

It's not like these people only communicate with each other looking at text.

@Chaos I just felt bad you had the need to defriend me. I hate not being a true friend to everyone.

@SaturnYoshi I know there are other ways of communicating AIM, Skype, video chat, etc. But nothing can ever get past the awkward third person of the date which is the computer/phone.

Some people just click, and it becomes real.

Also, the thread title says relationships. What about non-intimate ones? People make all kinds of friends here. Are those less real than ones with people that are a closer distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom