• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Online Relationships - Your Opinion? [WARNING: Controversial Topic?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's when you reveal you're working undercover for the cops. :p

Between adults... If you meet online, decide to meet up IRL, and really hit off, then that's pretty cool. But really, teens really shouldn't meet up with ANYONE they meet online -_- Now, I have plenty of great online friends but i'd never meet up with them. Now, when I finally go off to college, i'll probably ask for their phone numbers/email/facebook, etc. What I really hate is when teens think they can actually have committed loving relationships with people online. Major "-_-"

Yeah, Dana's of those teenagers who actually knows what she's doing. I can see why you'd be skeptical, Ha-Chan, as Dana and I know someone who rushed into their relationship only to break up with them a week later, but not all teenagers are clueless about love.

Hmm, well, I sure managed to pull it off just fine. And I'm sure Chaos can agree with that.

If this sounds rude, then I'll delete it with my full apologies, but here goes.

Isn't it kinda risky that your parents don't know about Chaos yet? Thing is, if he pays hundreds of pounds (IIRC he is British) and your parents don't agree...

That doesn't sound rude.

Anyway, yes, it is pretty risky. Well worth it, of course, but risky nonetheless.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm going to tell my parents that I met him online or not. I should tell them the truth, but they could very well disagree with that, so...yeah, I'm not sure. I'm not letting anything stand in the way, though.

All my Internet friends are Internet only. I am scared of meeting people in real life.

A girl I used to be friends with is constantly going in and out of online relationships. They never go anywhere and they never last for any length of time, so based on her experiences I find them kind of dumb. I'm not saying they can't work for anyone, and maybe she's just "doing it wrong", but personally I would find it too weird actually dating someone over the internet.

Now, I have a lot of very close online friends, but I just couldn't date someone over the internet. It would be too weird for me. I did have a crush on an online friend once so it's not like I don't get it but I just couldn't do it, it's not my thing

In terms of internet friends crossing over into real life: I've met up for lunch with one girl I know from another forum, and another girl and I exchange snail mail and text messages every so often, but I can't visit her IRL easily because she lives in Mexico.

Last edited:
A girl I used to be friends with is constantly going in and out of online relationships. They never go anywhere and they never last for any length of time, so based on her experiences I find them kind of dumb. I'm not saying they can't work for anyone, and maybe she's just "doing it wrong", but personally I would find it too weird actually dating someone over the internet.

Let me be the one to say it: she's doing it wrong. That's not the way to find a relationship that works, online or offline.

Me and my boyfriend didn't start going out until four months after we'd met, even though we'd discussed it a lot up until then. The most ridiculous online (or offline) relationships are the ones where you get with someone just for the sake of having a boyfriend or a girlfriend, and there's no substance to the relationship whatsoever. It's really sad, and it's one of the things that makes people so cynical about relationships. I speak from experience here.

It appears as though even in real life people are not that good at dealing with relationships. Just look at the divorce rate.
Ahhh, this is perhaps the problem that arises from having increasingly materialistic cultures. It's really quite a shame, but greed only begets more greed.
In the end, it's all up to the individual(s.)

I find it somewhat interesting that the number one reason for breaking up is lack of communication... when dating over the internet makes communication ESSENTIAL.

I guess online relationships are just like any relationship. You gotta work at it and sometimes things just don't go right.

So, I guess my opinion has kinda changed. Not that I'd try an online relationship before I had exhausted all local possibilities.

I don't think an online relationship either romantic or platonic can ever be fully trusted. The internet changes how people interact. I am a very shy, reserved and serious person but on line I am much more open, vocal (contrary to what my statistic say) and even playful. I say things I would not ever think to say in real life. If I am that different online. I have to wonder how could I ever trust "Internet love"?

Easily. Because you gotta not think of it as two different worlds. You're interacting with people in either, so realize that you have the balls to speak up online and thus can in reality as well, and there you go.

I understand that I may be interacting with people in both "worlds" but face to face communication is different than typing. Phone conversations are different than face to face conversations. Its the anonymity that the Internet gives that lets me have the "balls" to say what I want to say. For all you know I may be 90 year old woman living in a cave or 10 year old school boy but here I am Venom, what is my point? If you are having a relationship on line The Internet lets you be someone else with very little consequences to your self but possibly major ones to the other person and that's why I think they are a bad idea.

I understand that I may be interacting with people in both "worlds" but face to face communication is different than typing. Phone conversations are different than face to face conversations. Its the anonymity that the Internet gives that lets me have the "balls" to say what I want to say. For all you know I may be 90 year old woman living in a cave or 10 year old school boy but here I am Venom, what is my point? If you are having a relationship on line The Internet lets you be someone else with very little consequences to your self but possibly major ones to the other person and that's why I think they are a bad idea.

Somehow I have less balls to say something online...

Everything you say or do on the Internet is recorded (search engines even record your searches, Firefox records your IP and sends it to Google, etc. It happens in real life, too, but mostly I won't get flamed for something a year ago...

Online Relationships fail if you aren't inependent aka over 18.
Seriously get a life, or look harder IRL.

Online Relationships fail if you aren't inependent aka over 18.
Seriously get a life, or look harder IRL.

I don't think being independent is synonymous with being over 18. I know people who were independent long before they turned 18, and I know some people in their 20s who couldn't survive a day in "the real world".

I don't think being independent is synonymous with being over 18. I know people who were independent long before they turned 18, and I know some people in their 20s who couldn't survive a day in "the real world".

cool story bro.

Being independent still stands. Moreover, being 18 does mean independence not necessarily financially, but as a recognized adult.

cool story bro.

Being independent still stands. Moreover, being 18 does mean independence not necessarily financially, but as a recognized adult.

Being a legal adult isn't the same as being independent either.
You don't have to be a legal adult to be in a relationship, and you don't have to be financially independent to be in a realtionship, in RL or online.

Being a legal adult isn't the same as being independent either.
You don't have to be a legal adult to be in a relationship, and you don't have to be financially independent to be in a realtionship, in RL or online.

Regardless, going back to my post, online relationships fail if you are not independent.

I have no problem if you use the internet to find people and then meet up with them....but the whole cybersex is just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom