• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Only for 3DS?

I can't begin to explain why a DS demo for it would be horrible, since it is the single most ridiculous idea I've ever heard in my entire life.
Short answer is: The demo version is always on the same system as the real thing. If GF decides to have a downloadable XY demo it will certainly be a 3DS demo, will probably end after your first Rival battle and trip across the first route out of hometown, and will probably feature being able to transfer the demo's save file to the full retail version (like PMD Gates to Infinity has).
I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!
Maybe a little unrealistic version of the game, like what they did for the Black and White mall tour. You know, like just a battle against your rival, a small cutscene, a small area to walk around in, a cutscene, then BOOM, game over, next person in line, please. Actually, another mall tour would be a good substitute for a demo.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a 3DS. I just want a demo for... some reason. Why am I even on this thread? Ah, well.

"maybe a little unrealistic version of the game." ....What is the point in that?? A demo is suppose to be a short 'playable trailer' if you will, that represents what the game can do and what it's all about. An 'unrealistic' demo on the DS wouldn't even be a demo, it would be too different to be a demo. The best it would be is a minute long new Pokemon game created for no proper reason. a Demo on the DS would do nothing, it would not achieve what a demo is supposed to. If anyone actually expected a demo to be available on the DS, then forgive me, but that is a foolish thought. If anyone wanted a demo on the DS but never expected one, then I am glad to khow you never held your hopes very high, for them to fall and shatter.
I meant "unrealistic" as... well, look at the BW demos. They have you battle with lower leveled Pokemon, starting in that city with the Ice-type gym, always winter, and only Munna in the tall grass. You can't go outside the small area, and you battle Bianca and Cheren. This scene happens nowhere in the actual game, it's just a taste with about 4 actual Pokemon (6 if you count the cutscene-only Zekrom and Reshiram) and characters that have different dialogue. You can't go into any houses.

That's what they did for the BW demos. Maybe they can have another mall tour and do something similar to that, instead of making a demo.

And The Black and White Demo was on the same console as the actual game. And that demo sounds pretty realistic, for a demo. GameFreak didn't have to spend all that time, money, and effort, taking part of Pokemon X and Y and completely changing everything in order for it to fit on the DS. Like I said, demos are suppose to give you an idea of what the game is about, and what it can do. A demo on the DS would not accomplish this in any way.

Nintendo have released plenty of demos for 3DS games on the Nintendo eShop, chances are they'll do the same thing with Pokemon X and Y. They definitely will not however, create a demo on the DS, it would be utterly pointless, nothing would be gained from doing so.
I know, I just REALLY want another mall tour. MERCHANDISE MAN, AWAY!

They do not need a pointless DS demo for that. They have have a mall tour without one if they wanted.

I can potentially see some gameplay videos being DS-compatible, but a full demo? No way no how. Among the various reasons already covered (data size is less of an issue since the demo needs contain only a fraction of total game data), there's also the difference in screen resolution between DS and 3DS. Menus that are pixel-perfect on the 3DS would have to be reformatted for the DS.

I can potentially see some gameplay videos being DS-compatible, but a full demo? No way no how. Among the various reasons already covered (data size is less of an issue since the demo needs contain only a fraction of total game data), there's also the difference in screen resolution between DS and 3DS. Menus that are pixel-perfect on the 3DS would have to be reformatted for the DS.

I don't even see the potential in videos in compatible on the DS, that would serve less of a point than a demo. You'd have a better time viewing video trailers on the internet. If someone didn't have available internet to watch the video, chances are they wouldn't own many consoles to view the video on anyway.

Okay, perhaps I should rephrase. Would "I would have thought Pokemon fans played more than just Pokemon since they're gamers" be better?

I don't really think of myself as a 'gamer' anymore. I continue to play Pokémon because I've always done so (I've been playing since '99); if I had been introduced to the franchise later I doubt I would have taken an interest. Even then I take a casual approach to the games - e.g. I'm still on my first play-through of SoulSilver (12/16 badges) and I started playing May 24 2010.

Even so, I was still happy to buy a 3DS to play the new Pokémon on. ^^

I don't really think of myself as a 'gamer' anymore. I continue to play Pokémon because I've always done so (I've been playing since '99); if I had been introduced to the franchise later I doubt I would have taken an interest. Even then I take a casual approach to the games - e.g. I'm still on my first play-through of SoulSilver (12/16 badges) and I started playing May 24 2010.

Even so, I was still happy to buy a 3DS to play the new Pokémon on. ^^

Ah, I see. For me, it was a little different. I'd already been playing games since before Pokemon came out. Plus, while I was introduced to it back in the nineties as well, I never actually got to play one of the main games until gen 4. >.>

I guess I just never thought of a scenario like yours occurring. Heh, sorry about that. xP

I can't begin to explain why a DS demo for it would be horrible, since it is the single most ridiculous idea I've ever heard in my entire life.
Short answer is: The demo version is always on the same system as the real thing. If GF decides to have a downloadable XY demo it will certainly be a 3DS demo, will probably end after your first Rival battle and trip across the first route out of hometown, and will probably feature being able to transfer the demo's save file to the full retail version (like PMD Gates to Infinity has).
I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!
Maybe a little unrealistic version of the game, like what they did for the Black and White mall tour. You know, like just a battle against your rival, a small cutscene, a small area to walk around in, a cutscene, then BOOM, game over, next person in line, please. Actually, another mall tour would be a good substitute for a demo.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a 3DS. I just want a demo for... some reason. Why am I even on this thread? Ah, well.

"maybe a little unrealistic version of the game." ....What is the point in that?? A demo is suppose to be a short 'playable trailer' if you will, that represents what the game can do and what it's all about. An 'unrealistic' demo on the DS wouldn't even be a demo, it would be too different to be a demo. The best it would be is a minute long new Pokemon game created for no proper reason. a Demo on the DS would do nothing, it would not achieve what a demo is supposed to. If anyone actually expected a demo to be available on the DS, then forgive me, but that is a foolish thought. If anyone wanted a demo on the DS but never expected one, then I am glad to khow you never held your hopes very high, for them to fall and shatter.
I meant "unrealistic" as... well, look at the BW demos. They have you battle with lower leveled Pokemon, starting in that city with the Ice-type gym, always winter, and only Munna in the tall grass. You can't go outside the small area, and you battle Bianca and Cheren. This scene happens nowhere in the actual game, it's just a taste with about 4 actual Pokemon (6 if you count the cutscene-only Zekrom and Reshiram) and characters that have different dialogue. You can't go into any houses.

That's what they did for the BW demos. Maybe they can have another mall tour and do something similar to that, instead of making a demo.

And The Black and White Demo was on the same console as the actual game. And that demo sounds pretty realistic, for a demo. GameFreak didn't have to spend all that time, money, and effort, taking part of Pokemon X and Y and completely changing everything in order for it to fit on the DS. Like I said, demos are suppose to give you an idea of what the game is about, and what it can do. A demo on the DS would not accomplish this in any way.

Nintendo have released plenty of demos for 3DS games on the Nintendo eShop, chances are they'll do the same thing with Pokemon X and Y. They definitely will not however, create a demo on the DS, it would be utterly pointless, nothing would be gained from doing so.
I know, I just REALLY want another mall tour. MERCHANDISE MAN, AWAY!

They do not need a pointless DS demo for that. They have have a mall tour without one if they wanted.
I understand. I just want a mall tour. Screw the demo. Is there a thread for that? I mean the mall tour, not screwing demos. That has a little bit of double entendre in the title. And how do you make links?

Let me get this straight. Pokemon + DS is DEAD. Nothing to do with Pokemon will ever happen on DS again. Did we have DP on GBA? NO. Did we have a GBA demo of DP? NO. Why put a demo on a console a game isn't going to be on? While we're at it, let's demo Wii U games on PS3, and demo Xbox 360 games on fricking DSiWare.
This thread should have been closed a long time ago, nobody should think they're allowed to think this.
It's the single most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life.
And while I'm at it, Emerald wasn't on DS, so why should BW2 have ever been on 3DS? This fanbase... My god.

Let me get this straight. Pokemon + DS is DEAD. Nothing to do with Pokemon will ever happen on DS again. Did we have DP on GBA? NO. Did we have a GBA demo of DP? NO. Why put a demo on a console a game isn't going to be on? While we're at it, let's demo Wii U games on PS3, and demo Xbox 360 games on fricking DSiWare.
This thread should have been closed a long time ago, nobody should think they're allowed to think this.
And while I'm at it, Emerald wasn't on DS, so why should BW2 have ever been on 3DS? This fanbase... My god.

...you're kinda late to the party with that idea. Nobody thinks that way anymore o_O or you haven't paid close attention to the thread?

Why are people still sad over the fact that the next Pokémon games are on 3DS and not DS? It's natural. What, you want another 2.5D Pokémon game on the DS that makes the DS look more long-running than the Super Famicom or the PS2?

It will not happen.

People need to learn to move on to systems. If they had already did this from Gameboy to GBC, and GBC to GBA, and GBA to DS, why not now? Heck, same applies for SNES to N64, N64 to Gamecube, Gamecube to Wii, Wii to Wii U.

AND EVERY OTHER SYSTEM DOES THIS, BUT WHY NOT NINTENDO?

What, do you want them to look bad in front of more people for staying on a dead system until your needs are solidfied?

This reminds me of last week's announcement when EarthBound finally got a rerelease and it was Wii U-only, and people complained about it not on 3DS (it's ridculous because its better than nothing, but i kinda understand, as a wii u is $350/300)

...you're kinda late to the party with that idea. Nobody thinks that way anymore o_O or you haven't paid close attention to the thread?
I've seen a lot of people on other forums say it, seen one or two people mention it here. So yah know.

I've seen a lot of people on other forums say it, seen one or two people mention it here. So yah know.

Thank you. But there's really no need to state the obvious anymore. Pretty much everyone who's been complaining about the new games being on the 3DS has moved on (including me). There's no point in repeating "The DS is dead" quotes when people either gave up on arguing against that or are just ignoring it.

Thank you. But there's really no need to state the obvious anymore. Pretty much everyone who's been complaining about the new games being on the 3DS has moved on (including me). There's no point in repeating "The DS is dead" quotes when people either gave up on arguing against that or are just ignoring it.

To be fair, I myself was pretty much about to say EXACTLY what that other poster said (except with a little bit of wtf added because rly now? rly?) before I checked out the last few posts.

This is a thread that should not only be closed, it should not have existed in the first place. It's like saying that you want to keep using VCRs when DVD players are available. I can't even.

To be fair, I myself was pretty much about to say EXACTLY what that other poster said (except with a little bit of wtf added because rly now? rly?) before I checked out the last few posts.

This is a thread that should not only be closed, it should not have existed in the first place. It's like saying that you want to keep using VCRs when DVD players are available. I can't even.

It's been 3 to 4 months since the games were announced. People had time to rage and whine - and most of them are over it by now. It's kinda late to say "The DS is dead - accept it" now when pretty much everybody knows that. It sounds really old by now and there's no reason to try be the one to tell people that as if it is a new thing. It's completely pointless to say it by now.
It's not as if the games are going to be cancelled because of the few people who are complaining. There's no reason to get frustrated over them.

Last edited:

It's been 3 to 4 months since the games were announced. People had time to rage and whine - and most of them are over it by now. It's kinda late to say "The DS is dead - accept it" now when pretty much everybody knows that. It sounds really old by now and there's no reason to try be the one to tell people that as if it is a new thing. It's completely pointless to say it by now.
It's not as if the games are going to be cancelled because of the few people who are complaining. There's no reason to get frustrated over them.

Yep, and as I said, it was pretty pointless to start this thread in the first place. I just can't believe it went on for 20 pages without a mod shutting it down. There is literally nothing to discuss.

Not frustrated, or trying to be clever by telling people 'how it is' or anything. I just felt like throwing in my 2 cents because I've seen this thread lurking for the past couple of months and its very existence hurt my brain a little -_- Done now.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom