• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Adventures volume 13/ DPPt vol 2 (volume 31) review thread

They've changed author notes before. Did it on a few volumes of DPA, for instance, and I know they added in some localization notes to the extended author notes in MPJ (although that may have been for clairification, since it addressed such things as the Japanese title of Pipipi).
Really? I didn't know that. Then again, as far as I know all of the Viz manga titles I read don't have their author notes changed.

So what if I'm a bit more forgiving about these kinds of things?
So nothing. I have no problem with it. :3

It's okay to complain but I find your complaints to be going overboard a bit. If it doesn't affect the important stuff like Characters, Story and Action (in a major way, I mean), then it should be harped on.
Really? I'm sorry you feel that way. I just bring it up so people know of the changes, and to say my honest opinion about it. But I don't mean to take it to such an extreme that it comes across as harping, or to make it seem bigger than it is. I do think if I dislike something I have the right to say so though.

Well, I am doing. Why? Because I want to enjoy myself. I do notice stuff like bad censorship and such but the good seems to outweight the bad so I consider the "minor issues" water under the bridge.
I can understand and respect that. :) While I complain about it I still do enjoy their version for the most part, and I definitely agree that the good outweighs the bad. I don't quite consider the minor issues water under the bridge though, but I definitely don't think they are that big of a deal either. Big enough to mention/slightly complain about, but not big enough to like boycott the manga because of it or anything. I save that for the bigger issues. :p

Also, I prefer the Viz version since I can by it from my favorite bookstores.
I can understand and respect that also. That's also something I like about the Viz version.

They are pointless, I admit. But again, do they affect the Manga overall in any way? "Stupid chapter titles?! Pokemon Adventures is ruined forever! It's not like we can just ignore them!" That was sarcasm, by the way.
Of course not, but I do find it annoying since they are pointless. And yeah, I got that was sarcasm, lol.

Okay, it might not be nitpicking but I still don't see the trouble in pun-filled chapter titles in a series meant for kids.
The trouble is just that they are pointless, there's literally no reason to do them. I don't care if a series is for kids or not, changes are unnecessary if they are pointless.

If I can do that, why can't you ignore minor quibbles like what we were talking about?
Because when a quibble starts I believe in following through with it, especially when I have something to say. :p

I don't mean to insult you as you are nice people
Eh, I'm not really that insulted by what you said. Glad to know you didn't mean to insult me though. I didn't mean to insult you either. And you're a nice person as well. :3

Not to mention the copyright information at the start of the volume, which indicates when the Japanese volume came out xD
Haha I had forgot about that! Good point. xD

Fun tidbit: In the next volume preview, it lists the volume number as 32. Whoops! Reminds me of when they switched Blue and Green's name in the original run of volume 3.
Really? xD That's interesting. That's what's happens though when you restart the volume count and forget to double-check it! And actually, the mistake with their original run of volume 3 was that they forgot to switch the names, not that on accident they switched the names. In Japan Blue is the girl and Green is the guy, and that's how it was in the volume, so the mistake was them leaving it unedited rather than swapping it around by mistake.

They still call it the Seventh chapter, maybe they want to let the readers know where it takes place?
Doubt it, since the first DPPt volume calls volume 31 DPPt volume 2 in the next volume preview. It's most likely a mistake where they forgot to change the volume number on the preview to reflect their volume number count.

Last edited:
Really? xD That's interesting. That's what's happens though when you restart the volume count and forget to double-check it! And actually, the mistake with their original run of volume 3 was that they forgot to switch the names, not that on accident they switched the names. In Japan Blue is the girl and Green is the guy, and that's how it was in the volume, so the mistake was them leaving it unedited rather than swapping it around by mistake.
I am aware of that, hence the connection between the two events :p

I am aware of that, hence the connection between the two events :p
Oh my bad, I mistook how you said it as meaning Viz's mistake was switching the names, not forgetting to swap them. xD But yeah, you're right, there's definitely a connection!

Yeah, I realize now that I probably wasn't entirely clear in my post. Sorry if I sounded a bit snippy in my reply, no hard feelings!

And to keep this from veering too off topic, I really liked seeing Cynthia without her jacket in volume 31. It made the cosplayer in me happy to see how her shirt underneath looked, even if it was a bit woahcleavage.

Was there anything censored on either volume at all? (Hoping there wasn't, of course.) I'm a little surprised myself that they can't accept Pokeboobs, a slap, or even the word "suicidal," and yet they don't even touch a LoveHina-esque hot springs scene where a grown woman gets out of the spring with a teenage boy 4 feet away.

But that's Viz's logic for ya.

Was there anything censored on either volume at all? (Hoping there wasn't, of course.) I'm a little surprised myself that they can't accept Pokeboobs, a slap, or even the word "suicidal," and yet they don't even touch a LoveHina-esque hot springs scene where a grown woman gets out of the spring with a teenage boy 4 feet away.

But that's Viz's logic for ya.

That's probably because they didn't think it was worth it.

Also, I find the suicidal thing weird since they say "kill" often.

yo guys, how long is volume fourteen usually? i noticed at the end of volume thirteen it advertises number 14 as being like 270 pages long, so i'm curious now if they're smushing the end of the GSC chapter into number fourteen and resetting the numbers AGAIN for the R&S chapter for #15. :S
It's about 200 pages. Incidentally, the end of GSC is about 70 pages, so that looks like what they're doing.

I'll actually be glad if they're doing it that way, at least they'll be consistent in their renumbering.

yo guys, how long is volume fourteen usually? i noticed at the end of volume thirteen it advertises number 14 as being like 270 pages long, so i'm curious now if they're smushing the end of the GSC chapter into number fourteen and resetting the numbers AGAIN for the R&S chapter for #15. :S

God, I hope that doesn't happen, but that kind of thing happened so many times with Viz.

That and the FRLG arc began in volume 22 with only two rounds, and the second was short as hell. I guess we'll be seeing a lot of them get moved, too?

I'll actually be glad if they're doing it that way, at least they'll be consistent in their renumbering.
Actually they won't be consistent, since they never bothered renumbering the Yellow arc or Gold/Silver/Crystal. And actually I hope they won't renumber it, since RBG/Y/GSC/RS/FR/LG/Emerald all have ties to one another and it would be best to leave it the way it's supposed to be. They renumbered DP even though it's connected to them as well though, so I'm afraid I can't count on it.

It still might be possible for the volume count to stay the same though, even with the final GSC being taken out of volume 15 and added to 14.

The last time Viz did something like that, it was with the first few chapters of Dragonball's 17th volume (which, due to the series being split, subsequently became DBZ 1), which were collected in volume 16 to tie in with how the anime was. As it's more or less certain the same situation's about to occur with the last GSC round getting "ventilated" right out of volume 15, we could very possibly be seeing a "Ruby & Sapphire series," sadly as it is. Since the Japanese volume 15 wasn't particularly long, we could be getting another pathetically short volume in Viz's 15th volume.

Also, I doubt Viz knew much about Saque's return when they first announced they were moving the DP rounds to a "new" series, considering it (volume 37) wasn't out even in Japan at the time.

Also, I doubt Viz knew much about Saque's return when they first announced they were moving the DP rounds to a "new" series, considering it (volume 37) wasn't out even in Japan at the time.
Oh I'm positive they didn't know about Saque's return or how volume 37 and 38 would spoil a few things due to their release patterns, otherwise I don't think they would have done it.

And to think they could have avoided the trouble had they just went in order and left the volume numbers alone...

Yeah, but look at Yugioh and it getting two whole splits (probably because Viz thinks dividing series randomly = quicker releases = more buyers), when the whole thing follows a (poor) continuity of some sorts for the whole 30+ volumes, unlike, say, Gacha Gacha :p

That and they might've thought leaving Special discontinued for so long left them too far behind.

Nevertheless, I would be pretty annoyed if they didn't have the courtesy to start the early FRLG portions and their introduction of Saiki/Sird/Saque before volume 37 hits the shelves. Not that the entire thing wouldn't be a huge spoiler since the whole "TERN U TU RAWK" thing was at the end of FRLG, not where she first appeared.

Actually the way I'd like to see them do it is divide them up so RS/FRLG/E end up as their own numbering set, same as the games were all on GBA. And the numbering of RBG/Y/GSC is consistent with that idea because they're all gameboy games. It would also leave the two sections at an almost even volume count.

I'd much prefer they stick to the original Japanese numbering, and Gold and Silver were merely playable on the old GB, and not specifically released for that console. They were fashioned more for the GBC, and Crystal was exclusive to it.

Regardless, if they were to split the GBA-based arcs title by title (e.g. "PA Ruby & Sapphire," "... FireRed & LeafGreen," etc.) it would suck.

I'd much prefer they stick to the original Japanese numbering, and Gold and Silver were merely playable on the old GB, and not specifically released for that console. They were fashioned more for the GBC, and Crystal was exclusive to it.

Regardless, if they were to split the GBA-based arcs title by title (e.g. "PA Ruby & Sapphire," "... FireRed & LeafGreen," etc.) it would suck.

Well, technically, the story already separates the chapters so it's understandable why they would do that...I'm just hoping that the numbering isn't changed.

I really hope they slow down the releases of the Diamond and Pearl chapter...otherwise...spoilers and plot holes galore!

Yeah, the little box at the right of the cover art saying stuff like "Gold & Silver" is more than enough indication for us to know what chapter it is. Splitting the dozen or so volumes we have left into two three whole series is just pushin' the limits of idiocy.

Actually the way I'd like to see them do it is divide them up so RS/FRLG/E end up as their own numbering set, same as the games were all on GBA. And the numbering of RBG/Y/GSC is consistent with that idea because they're all gameboy games. It would also leave the two sections at an almost even volume count.
yeah, i don't think i'd mind if they split it as long as they make RS, FRLG, and E all one "series" without splitting into three parts for those, because as Kenshi said, that is pretty stupid and i also think it's inconsistent with making RGB, Y and GSC all one continuous "story".
personally, i sort of agree with you seeing that while RGBY and GSC were backward compatible with each other, the GBA games were all seperate from the older ones but compatible with each other. so it at least would make sense to a passive observer why it would be seperate :p

It would have been wonderful if they had kept to the Japanese numbering. But they didn't. It's already been done, so instead of lamenting over something that can't be helped, I'm hoping they'll still make the best of the situation and separate it consistently so they don't have the series go 1-29, then start the renumbering.

Who knows, maybe they'll release omnibus versions and those will have the correct numbering.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom