• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Black and White Versions Revealed: Gen V names announced early

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, will this give us enough time to finish the league and stuff?
Any ways, great to see we finally get confirmation on the game and date.

You mean a group who wish to protect the universe created by Arceus (and the Unown?) and a rival group who would rather live in a universe created by some other Pokémon? The idea has crossed my mind several times, yes. It's good to know that we are on the same wavelength.

"Just listen, what if, this, all this, what if this wasn't suppose to be our life? What if we had some other life and for some reason, we changed things? I don't want to catch Arceus, Mr. Ketchum. I think I already did."

I'm sorry, but those are awful names. I guess they ran out of stones.

How would you explain that they are present at the moment of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina's creation in the Sinjoh Ruins? If Arceus didn't need them at the very beginning, what's changed?

Creating the universe is not the same as creating Dialga, Palkia and/or Giratina, so the creation of the Universe has little or nothing to do with the event.

The games state Arceus created the Universe, not Arceus and someone else. If I recall correctly, it is also said that before Arceus' actions, there was nothing, which includes the Unown.

A better explanation for the presence of the Unown during that event could be one of these hypothesis I've come up with:

1. Arceus created and shaped the Universe, but later realised that in order for it to work, something else was needed, which is time and space, so then (that is, after creeating the whole Universe), after creating the concept of time and space (and antimatter to balnace the existing matter) he created the Unown and with their help, an embodiment for those forces, thus leading to the creation of Dialga and Palkia; after all, in the in-game event they participate in the creation of your legendary dragon and nothing more, or

2. Arceus created the Universe (and Pokémon and everything) alone. But since Dialga and Palkia represent universal concepts (ie. there is no "two times" nor "two spaces", it's only "time" and "space", or at least one per dimension/Universe, in case there are more), having a second dragon would unbalance things, or simply overexhaust Arceus' powers (as it already created the dragons before), so it needed the help of the Unown to balance things out and prevent from getting out of power.

That seems more logic and reasonable than a mere "ZOMG they are at the Arceus event=they created the universe with him!!11". Basically: Creating the Universe=/=creating Pokémon. That's what's different. It establish a relation indeed, but doen't mean it has to be directly taking part in there.

And I agree with Keegman, Arceus was portrayed as sentient. Even if the games. He doesn't need to speak to be sentient.

Wow, it is more than obvious that Pokemon will get darker and more evil.
Just look at Zoroark and now "Pokemon Black". How cool is that!

However, if that should be a reason now for those crazy political correctness freaks to accuse Pokemon of being racist, I'll lose it...
I can already see it: After Jinx there is Pokemon Black now... OMG how baaaaad and politically incorrect. :rolleyes:

We can just hope that people will use their last bit of intelligence!

And with those names confirmed, I'm also pretty much sure that there will finally be a the new Pokemon type I've wanted for ages: The Light type

White vs. Black, Good vs. Evil, The apocalypse is neeeeear...how cool is that!!!
I'm totally excited and looking forward to the promising future of Pokemon!

Creating the universe is not the same as creating Dialga, Palkia and/or Giratina, so the creation of the Universe has little or nothing to do with the event.
The formation of Arceus' egg has everything to do with the creation of the universe. Sinnoh's mythology refers to a turmoil of chaos from which Arceus' egg appeared. The nature of that chaos is, quite simply, unknown. But the fact that Arceus wasn't the only one responsible for creating its minions leads me to suspect that its own egg didn't emanant from sheer nothingness, either.

If I recall correctly, it is also said that before Arceus' actions, there was nothing, which includes the Unown.
The DPPt games only say that Arceus breathed alone, which is not the same as being alone in a literal context (there are creatures, like the Unown, which don't breathe). More importantly, Diamond and Pearl deliberately avoided mentioning Giratina in the creation myth, and so this had to be rectified by Platinum. A similar retcon could happen again; HGSS may not have done it themselves, but they did provide a hint towards that possibility.

And I agree with Keegman, Arceus was portrayed as sentient. Even if the games. He doesn't need to speak to be sentient.
It certainly left a lot to be desired. There is almost no telling what role, if any, Arceus has served in the universe since creating it.

Last edited:
"Just listen, what if, this, all this, what if this wasn't suppose to be our life? What if we had some other life and for some reason, we changed things? I don't want to catch Arceus, Mr. Ketchum. I think I already did."

YES.

Sinnoh's mythology refers to a turmoil of chaos from which Arceus' egg appeared

(...)

The DPPt games only say that Arceus breathed alone, which is not the same as being alone in a literal context

It still doesn't hint nothing at the Unown. Except for the anime, the Unown have never been portrayed as chaotic.
And again, even if Arceus wasn't alone, it doen't mean they had to help. Being present doesn't mean to take part, they could be witnesses if anything. By that logic going to a soccer game would mean playing in it just because you were there. Not to mention that I can't conceive how would such weak critters did something as big as the universe.
The rest of your post is mere speculation with no proof (let alone undeniable proof). Until then, I won't believe the Unown helped.

It's been a pleasure, as always.

Oh man I can't tell you how excited I am.
Black vs. White, Light vs Darkness, Good vs. Evil... That's a whole new level of epicness...OMG, I want to know more about those games!:yahoo:
This is bound to be amazing!

I don't know but I dare say that Pokemon will finally become mature and turn into a series for a more mature and older audience.
I hope (and I'm pretty much sure) that Pokemon will finally turn into that kind of Anime/ game that I've been proclaiming for years.

My dream started coming true with the introduction of the fantastic Cynthia. Will the writers really continue where the started to make Pokemon even more epic than it is already?

Alright, they got out the names early!

Nice to know they're going back to colors. :)

And again, even if Arceus wasn't alone, it doen't mean they had to help. Being present doesn't mean to take part, they could be witnesses if anything.
I don't think it is important whether they helped it or just witnessed its birth and everything that followed afterwards. There has to be meaning to their role either way, even if it is not as clearly labeled as that of the Dragon and Lake trios. It would be a wortwhile meaning even if the Unown just pointed to another Pokémon that had similar powers to Arceus'.

There is a new reference in HGSS that describes the Unown as blessing people's births. That, along with the Sinjoh Ruins event where they not only witness the birth of a Pokémon but also clearly help make it happen, leaves me doubtful that they were created by Arceus rather than already existing at the time of its birth (which they "blessed"). I also can't think of any reason why HGSS wouldn't have established the Unown as being reigned by Arceus if that had been Game Freak's intention.

Until then, I won't believe the Unown helped.
Until the next games are released and possibly expand the creation story, if not redefine uniqueness of the Pokémon universe? I believe that that is the main idea, and it would be quite boring if we had all the proof we needed right now.

Some idiot will say the names are racist and change them in the states...

this. i really hope not, cause these are amazing names.it should have always remained as colours. and its like...

soccer moms, theyre shades. they dont involve race at all, they are colours extracted from the spectrum, so just because you feel that it offends you in particular..

its not. >.>

this. i really hope not, cause these are amazing names.it should have always remained as colours. and its like...

soccer moms, theyre shades. they dont involve race at all, they are colours extracted from the spectrum, so just because you feel that it offends you in particular..

its not. >.>

Some idiot will especially with Black and White. Some people are just soooooooo sensative about these things.

But this whole announcement is really got me buffed. And to think I just got SoulSilver the other day.

I don't know but I dare say that Pokemon will finally become mature and turn into a series for a more mature and older audience.

CAUSE THAT WILL MAKE THE GAME SO MUCH MOAR AWESOMER! DARK AND EDGY!
Pokemon_Alakazam_by_TheDarkHell.jpg

I can already tell a certain someone is going to act like a little bitch about the game names and cause a giant shitstorm.

I had thought about that too, but I also don't think it's gonna be a big deal. Will idiotic people like Pat Robertson make a deal about it? Probably. But I say again, I don't think the names of these games will cause a huge uproar like that.

CAUSE THAT WILL MAKE THE GAME SO MUCH MOAR AWESOMER! DARK AND EDGY!
Pokemon_Alakazam_by_TheDarkHell.jpg

I can already tell a certain someone is going to act like a little bitch about the game names and cause a giant shitstorm.

Are you referring to me?
I though I had made it clear that I'm totally excited about those names and really psyched!

Hopefully the names won't cause any commotion, but then again, I really wouldn't be surprised if they did. People often exaggerate things far out of proportion.

Yay! We get racist games! Lol Just kiddin' I have no problem with that.

I'm especially interested in Black, because you gotta know that that version will be parallel to Diamond, as White would to Pearl. And now I can't wait to see the version mascots!!! XD

I just hope that Carole Boston Weatherford keeps her dumb-*ss thoughts to herself this time! DX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom