• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Black and White Versions Revealed: Gen V names announced early

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad they went with Black and White. It makes the most sense as it has been implied that the series are coming full circle with these games.

And it gives me hope that these games will be significantly different from the previous reiterations, where as if they just named it after more generic gemstones like "Topaz and Opal versions" it would sound like it was going to be more of the same...

You know, something just occurred to me, as I read over the whole "going back to their roots" in terms of colors as version names, and considering that "innovative rebirth" line they've been throwing around... And on top of that (and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet - maybe in the other thread?), the flash opening on the official site announces that "A new Pokemon history will begin."

Maybe they really are going with a completely new slate? A Pokemon world where none of the previously-established canon history ever existed - a parallel universe, if you will.

It's an intriguing concept, but kind of scary at the same time. (And the possibility of inter-dimensional travel in order to complete the National Dex surely has the potential to be awesome.)

Exactly what do you have up your sleeves now, Game Freak? There's no way to know yet, but they've surely got me on for the ride.

You know, something just occurred to me, as I read over the whole "going back to their roots" in terms of colors as version names, and considering that "innovative rebirth" line they've been throwing around... And on top of that (and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet - maybe in the other thread?), the flash opening on the official site announces that "A new Pokemon history will begin."

Maybe they really are going with a completely new slate? A Pokemon world where none of the previously-established canon history ever existed - a parallel universe, if you will.

It's an intriguing concept, but kind of scary at the same time. (And the possibility of inter-dimensional travel in order to complete the National Dex surely has the potential to be awesome.)

Exactly what do you have up your sleeves now, Game Freak? There's no way to know yet, but they've surely got me on for the ride.

I, SakuyamonX, support this idea 100%.

I do support it too. Although it might merely be that the new games take place in a idfferent time period, like 10 years in the future or so.

Probably not a completely clean slate, I mean rebooting it would be quite silly when we are finally getting to a point where we can connect everything with the tiny bits we have here and there, but then again, Kanto would be in all 5 generations.

I'd go white version to match my DS.

Perfect idea =)

That is why I got a blue DS, to match Saphire, and I got Pearl because Saphire = Ocean = Pearl.

Though it may also depend on box art.

Maybe they really are going with a completely new slate? A Pokemon world where none of the previously-established canon history ever existed
Or one where it didn't exist yet. The past of the current world might as well be considered new if we know almost nothing about it. After all, it is rather impossible to consider Red and Green as the beginning of the Pokémon world's history from a non-meta point of view.

I think that we need at least one generation of experiencing the timeline of the Pokémon world (outside a meager three-year period) or the countries outside the nation corresponding to Japan, before other worlds or parallel universes become warranted.

Probably not a completely clean slate, I mean rebooting it would be quite silly when we are finally getting to a point where we can connect everything with the tiny bits we have here and there, but then again, Kanto would be in all 5 generations.

Well, that's exactly it - they're at a point where everything is connected, and there are very few, if any, holes that can be filled. If they try to add or outdo the canon history that already exists, they risk making it seem forced and unnatural. Which is why I think the whole "parallel world" idea would be a feasible next step.

Of course, this is all speculation.

If this did happen, though, I wonder what they'd do with the anime? Would they try hanging on to Ash and send him into some other realm, or would they retire him - and I personally do see one or two ways for them to satisfactorily bring Ash's story to an end with DP (something I've been mulling about for a while, haha).

EDIT:
Or one where it didn't exist yet. The past of the current world might as well be considered new if we know almost nothing about it. After all, it is rather impossible to consider Red and Green as the beginning of the Pokémon world's history from a non-meta point of view.
This is intriguing too. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it. :33

Wasn't there an article awhile back that said that Nintendo copyrighted these names? Maybe we have a future knowing of names to come.

And hate the names, but I'll deal.

Team Clan versus Team Power for bad people anyone? *killed*

Last edited:
I actually really like these names; they're simple and easy to remember. The only thing though is that they are a bit bland. I mean, the third version will probably be called Pokemon Gray, and that I'm not looking forward to since I plan on waiting for the third version. I never touch my Diamond version anymore since I got Platinum, and I don't want that to happen again with Gen 5.

Black and White? What's the third version going to be, Grey? A meld of both storylines with both Legendaries that were only available to one of the two prior versions freely catch-able with a mysterious third...as has been the case for the previous 2 Generations.

I still maintain their'll be a 3DS release. And hey, if so, you have a name ready for the Hoenn Remakes, Gen3DS.

Black and White suggest "opposite" or "balanced" themes. If we are looking at parallel worlds and dimensional separation, they could carry those themes heavily into whatever game plot they've got concocted. Getting one perspective from one cart (Black) and then a flipflopped perspective from the other cart (White) would certainly be worthy of "rebirth" in my opinion. Well, all Game Freak has to do is ditch the 8-Gym style of gameplay and I'd consider it revolutionary, so what good are my thought, eh? :p

If we're talking different worlds, then we're talking different lives. Maybe... we experience the life of the same character (you, the main character) but in different ways. Maybe we have different goals. That could be the idea behind picking "Black" and "White" as the name titles. We may discover that our character will experience a unique storyline, exclusive to his version based on the name. Branching paths, if you will.

This is all big and very vague speculation. However, what if we're going to take the reins of two completely opposite groups, more than Aqua and Magma ever were?

We get the Maintainer Pokemon to compliment Arceus being the Creator Pokemon this generation.

This is all big and very vague speculation. However, what if we're going to take the reins of two completely opposite groups, more than Aqua and Magma ever were?
You mean a group who wish to protect the universe created by Arceus (and the Unown?) and a rival group who would rather live in a universe created by some other Pokémon? The idea has crossed my mind several times, yes. It's good to know that we are on the same wavelength.

You mean a group who wish to protect the universe created by Arceus (and the Unown?) and a rival group who would rather live in a universe created by some other Pokémon? The idea has crossed my mind several times, yes. It's good to know that we are on the same wavelength.

I'd rather they expanded on Sinnoh's mythology. I always thought Arceus could be like Brahma in the Trimurti. If it is balance and not conflict, then we're getting the maintainer next as the 720 legendary.

Though I still hope that the legendaries are a bit more segregated from the main plot, by that I mean I want them to get their own plot separate from the villain team.

I'd rather they expanded on Sinnoh's mythology. I always thought Arceus could be like Brahma in the Trimurti. If it is balance and not conflict, then we're getting the maintainer next as the 720 legendary.

Though I still hope that the legendaries are a bit more segregated from the main plot, by that I mean I want them to get their own plot separate from the villain team.

This. Sinnoh's mythology is the most relevant to the Pokémon universe, and as a strong supporter of hindu philosophy and fan of hindu mythology, I firmly embrace this approach. Unfortunately, as Arceus is not based off of that myth, I see it unlikely to be treated like that. Not to mention that alongside Brahma (the creator) and Visnu (the maintainer), there is also Siva, the destroyer. And I doubt Game Freak will ever touch this theme. I hope I¡m wrong though, 'cause it would be the best region mythology ever.

(And BTW, I don't believe the Unown helped creating the Universe, but that's not relevant to this at the moment)

I'd rather they expanded on Sinnoh's mythology.
Other than the Unown-Arceus connection which is not part of Sinnoh's mythology, another mystery lies in the text associated with the Plates: "The power of defeated giants infuses this Plate." Someone at Bulbapedia seems to think that it is a reference to Regigigas, but if that were the case this text wouldn't appear before the text associated with Dialga and Palkia (who really thinks that Regigigas existed before those two?).

I always thought Arceus could be like Brahma in the Trimurti. If it is balance and not conflict, then we're getting the maintainer next as the 720 legendary.
What role would be served by such a Pokémon that isn't already fulfilled by Arceus' six minions, or namely Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf?

I personally think that it is more important that the legendary Pokémon be portrayed as sentient beings. That touch was missing from all generations bar Generation II, but I don't associate that with the interaction between humans and legendaries or lack thereof.

Veggietable said:
(And BTW, I don't believe the Unown helped creating the Universe, but that's not relevant to this at the moment)
How would you explain that they are present at the moment of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina's creation in the Sinjoh Ruins? If Arceus didn't need them at the very beginning, what's changed?

Last edited:
I personally think that it is more important that the legendary Pokémon be portrayed as sentient beings. That touch was missing from all generations bar Generation II, but I don't associate that with the interaction between humans and legendaries or lack thereof.

Arceus is presented as sentient, isn't it? One Pokemon is, at least, given that an otherworldly voice named ??? speaks to Darkrai about his relationship with Cresselia when you catch him in Platinum.

Arceus is presented as sentient, isn't it? One Pokemon is, at least, given that an otherworldly voice named ??? speaks to Darkrai about his relationship with Cresselia when you catch him in Platinum.
I maintain that that Pokémon was not Arceus. If Arceus wanted to speak, I would think that the Spear Pillar, Distortion World, Hall of Origin and Sinjoh Ruins events would be far more appropriate opportunities for it do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom