• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Just to add to the whole "Shota catching Noibat" speculation, the Noibat will be featured in this year's Pikachu Short. When has a rival character's Pokémon ever been featured in a Pikachu Short?

In any case, Noibat will be caught by a member of the main cast. We don't know for sure who will be its trainer yet, though.

This post was just stating my mind and I can see something could be wrong so your disagreements will be appreciated.

Shota is going to appear in episode 73 (perhaps 74) as well as 75, having him appear in episode 76, for sole capture of Noibat, or even using Noibat, wouldn't make sense. Neither would it appearing in an ending predominately the main cast except only two Pokemon that may belong to other characters (and excluding their own more important Pokemon).

I think it's fairly obvious that Eevee will go to Serena. It's a May callback. But unlike May who evolved hers into Glaceon, I would bet that Serena evolves hers not into Sylveon, but Umbreon. It would allow her Pancham to evolve into Pangoro, and Umbreon isn't as offensive as other Eeveelutions, being more defensive-based, which would fit the "hardly ever battles" Serena. If not Umbreon, I could see them keeping Eevee as Eevee until the inevitable filler arc near the end of the saga where she evolves it into the 7th Gen. Dragon Eeveelution or something.

As for Noibat, it's probably going to Ash. Which sucks. Ash already has Fletchinder AND Hawlucha as flying types. But Hawlucha and Fletchinder could start making better use of their non-Flying types (Fighting and Fire, respectively) while letting Noibat/Noivern take the place of the scout bird/Flying sweeper. After all, Hawlucha's fighting style is already more leaned towards Fighting than Flying, and Fletchinder would probably evolve into a Talonflame by or before the 8th gym, so it can use its full firepower against Wulfric.

Not to mention Noibat also shares Dragon typing with Goodra, which would be very useful if Goodra is going to leave.

And I have no idea on Jessie's Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist. She needs to trade it to evolve, and yet Gourgeist would presumably still be in her control.

What I wouldn't like is Ash getting Noibat because pre-XY it already had it's time to shine

I don't get this at all.

First off Noibat didn't exist pre-XY I mean sure Noivern showed up but Noibat didn't show up, Noibat and Noiver are 6th generation Pokemon.

Secondly the Noivern that did show up pre-XY belonged to another trainer, and there was no way Ash was going to get it.

Next you don't mind Serena with an Eevee despite Eevee's been done to death (except maybe a proper eeveelution being on the main case), but Ash can't get Noibat.

I am at a loss of what you mean here. Especially when Ash caught Aipom and Gligar, and he got Phanpy even though Donphan showed up in the first movie.

Noibat line then if you want so. What I'm getting at here is, Noivern was starred in the last episodes of BW (we never should talk off BW again) so if Ash would get it, it either would rule out Noibat evolving or evolving to a Pokemon that already had a good share of episodes with another trainer while in the group and I wouldn't like seeing more of it. Not to mention, a THIRD flying or rather partly Flying type in his team. But a scenario I would like to see would be something like Ash catches Noibat - Ash trades Noibat with rival before they become rivals, because this would give a different level of rivalry relation between them or that he trades it for a Phantump, which then evolves into Trevenant giving him a bit of controlling trouble.

Serena is just a travel companion that leaves ultimately, when the XY series is over. So far I'm not believing her staying longer, even if some would say they've thrown in enough to verify that. Not for me. Other option could also be Clemont and he evolves it into Jolteon. Though I don't see much of a point for Clemont getting more Pokemon now.

Last edited:
Noibat line then if you want so. What I'm getting at here is, Noivern was starred in the last episodes of BW (we never should talk off BW again) so if Ash would get it, it either would rule out Noibat evolving or evolving to a Pokemon that already had a good share of episodes with another trainer while in the group and I wouldn't like seeing more of it.

Unless you outright hate Noivern, there's no logic to this.

Because once a Pokemon belongs to a main character, the usage of that Pokemon is going to be a lot more than some random not that very important recurring character's.

Ash's Palpitoad has been in more episodes than Alexa's Noivern or any Noivern for that matter and Palpitoad was treated like crap for the most part in terms of screentime.

Pikachu has been in every episode, and so on and so forth.

That's just what happens. Alexa traveling with Ash and co, and having a Noivern doesn't mean it had a good share, when main cast Pokemon are showcased so often.

That's why I never really cared to hear "X Pokemon has been overused" if it was a wild Pokemon that was not on the main cast, and I mean sure seeing Beedrill in every forest as some kind of nuisance to the character could get boring, but Noivern has barely been seen, except in maybe 5 episodes. And only 2 of those episodes were important.

To be honest noibat sucks, only way I see it bring good will be with team rocket, using it as a distraction with air slash. Otherwise it might cost ash the league, please these writers might surprise us all and have ash actually catch two good pokemon who come out late in the game, such as honedge, or klefki, and as he's about to reach the league he catches trevant.

To be honest noibat sucks, only way I see it bring good will be with team rocket, using it as a distraction with air slash. Otherwise it might cost ash the league, please these writers might surprise us all and have ash actually catch two good pokemon who come out late in the game, such as honedge, or klefki, and as he's about to reach the league he catches trevant.

Aside from Charizard for the first two leagues (for different reasons), it has always been Pikachu that cost Ash the league.

And Pikachu is supposed to be Ash's "most reliable" Pokemon.

I dont think so, Ash always uses pickachu when its almost impossible to come back, at one point we can say that having snivy and oshawott as throwaways in that match. Charizard did not really cost him much except for the first. the third we can blame it on the fact ash did not know what those pokemon could do. The third league was just unfair and pickachu did match well vs latios. I dont know about the second maybe im thinking the second it the first well whatever

If Pikachuu couldn't defeat the Nyarth of an older trainer I don't see why it should be a problem having him loose to a Latios.

I dont think so, Ash always uses pickachu when its almost impossible to come back, at one point we can say that having snivy and oshawott as throwaways in that match. Charizard did not really cost him much except for the first. the third we can blame it on the fact ash did not know what those pokemon could do. The third league was just unfair and pickachu did match well vs latios. I dont know about the second maybe im thinking the second it the first well whatever

But that's the point, Noibat isn't going to cost Ash the league just because its caught because Ash would never use Noibat last, unless the writers really want to go down that route for whatever reason. The Pokemon that loses last costs Ash the league, and that's been primarily Pikachu.

1. Charizard refused to battle, Ash loses.
2. Charizard loses to Blaziken, Ash loses
3. Pikachu loses to Meowth, Ash loses.
4. Pikachu ties with Latios, doesn't matter Ash has no more Pokemon Tobias still has 4, Ash loses.
5. Pikachu loses to a Lucario, Ash loses.

So sure it's been 3 to 2 with Pikachu losing 3 leagues and Charizard costing Ash two leagues.

But the problem I see is that I'm pretty sure that it will never be:

Noibat loses to ???, Ash loses.

Only reason they would do that if they realize they can't just have Pikachu being the major loss in every league since 3rd gym.

However even if that was the case, I doubt it will be Noibat, maybe it will be Greninja, or perhaps Goodra will come back and lose, costing Ash the match.

And I'm not sure I like the "Noibat" idea anyway, at the league I expect "Noivern" then maybe I could see it losing in the final match, costing Ash the league.

I'm glad that Goodra's finally gone, but I still hope that Noibat isn't his eventual replacement.

Well, to explain myself more, I will say this. Pikachu lost vs meowth because it had to battle a metagross before. Latios is a freaken legendary, and seeing how darkrai defeated all the other pokemon he had, it was not pikachu's fault. As for the last one, I just said ash had two throwaway pokemon. Even if pikachu defeated a fresh lucario, after battling two pokemon, if Cameron brought a 6th pokemon he would have lost. Also I blame each one on another pokemon other than pikachu. Unfeazant with a type advantage lost to riolu. So yeah oshawott was as useless as unfeazant that match. Noivern could cost ash early, such as losing to a sceptile, even with a huge advantage over it. Leaving ash to use Pikachu multiple times, allowing it to lose. But everyone its right, if someone is gonna lose in the end it has to be ash's strongest.

Let me make it easier
pokemon KO'd in final battle:
League 1
Squirtle 0
Pikachu 1
Charizard1

League 2
Pikachu 1
Totodile 1
Noctowl 0
Snorlax 2
Bayleef 1
Charizard 0

League 3
Glalie 1
Torkoal 1
Corphish 0
Swellow 2
Sceptile 0
Pikachu 1

League 4
Sceptile 1
Pikachu 1
Everyone else 0

League 5
Boldore 0
Oshawott 0
Pignite 2
Unfeazant 0
Snivy 0
Pikachu 2
Ok so who cost ash what?

Last edited:
Really not too happy that the writers decided to release Goodra. First of all, Ash only has a team of 4 and he's going up against Valerie in a few episodes. THE 6TH GYM LEADER. We're nearly 75% done with the gyms and Ash /STILL/ doesn't have a full team yet. In most sagas, he has a full team by the 4th gym at least. Sure we're probably getting Noibat as a replacement, but...Really? 3 flying types? Wow...Anyway, the other thing that really bugs me about Goodra's release is that this was Ash's first psuedo. Goodra can be a very powerful tank and its battle with Clemont's Luxray proved how capable it is at tanking hits and really dealing serious damage. He finally gets a Pokemon like this. Its finally done RIGHT(I'm looking at you Torterra.), but its taken away from him just like that! Is Ash not allowed really to have a Pokemon this strong?

Really not too happy that the writers decided to release Goodra. First of all, Ash only has a team of 4 and he's going up against Valerie in a few episodes. THE 6TH GYM LEADER. We're nearly 75% done with the gyms and Ash /STILL/ doesn't have a full team yet. In most sagas, he has a full team by the 4th gym at least. Sure we're probably getting Noibat as a replacement, but...Really? 3 flying types? Wow...Anyway, the other thing that really bugs me about Goodra's release is that this was Ash's first psuedo. Goodra can be a very powerful tank and its battle with Clemont's Luxray proved how capable it is at tanking hits and really dealing serious damage. He finally gets a Pokemon like this. Its finally done RIGHT(I'm looking at you Torterra.), but its taken away from him just like that! Is Ash not allowed really to have a Pokemon this strong?

He has Goukazaru, which is without doubt a massively powerful individual.

Numelgon can come back as quickly as he left--even quicker, really. Having fewer Pokemon on his team also means other Pokemon can get longer gym matches.

And I have no idea on Jessie's Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist. She needs to trade it to evolve, and yet Gourgeist would presumably still be in her control.
Realistically the only way I can see them incorporating this element in any way is if it is for some reason under Kojiro's command at the moment when it evolves... However I think they're just gonna bypass this (as they have before, right?) and allow it to have a straightforward evo.

Realistically the only way I can see them incorporating this element in any way is if it is for some reason under Kojiro's command at the moment when it evolves... However I think they're just gonna bypass this (as they have before, right?) and allow it to have a straightforward evo.

For the most part, the anime is fairly accurate to evolution methods from AG onwards. Remember Misty's Politoed and how it evolved not by being traded holding a King Rock's, but after being healed while holding it? If this was still original series, I could see Pumpkaboo evolving like that.

For the most part, the anime is fairly accurate to evolution methods from AG onwards. Remember Misty's Politoed and how it evolved not by being traded holding a King Rock's, but after being healed while holding it? If this was still original series, I could see Pumpkaboo evolving like that.
Have we ever seen a main character's pokemon evolve by trade? OS or not, I just cannot picture how they can be true to the games with this evo. We know that a Pumpjin is on the main cast and 99.99999% still under the possession of the TRio. There's no WAY Kojiro would trade Maaiika. We've also seen Musashi express fondness towards Bakeccha which makes me doubt she'd trade it at all let alone for a random one. And anyway in order to explore these trading avenues I think it would need to be at least a significant B plot (if not the A plot) of an episode and I'm not sure such an opportunity will present itself within the time scales we're working in. If anything I agree with people who think this could happen in the upcoming haunted house episode. Anyway, I await the outcome with trepidation...

Have we ever seen a main character's pokemon evolve by trade? OS or not, I just cannot picture how they can be true to the games with this evo. We know that a Pumpjin is on the main cast and 99.99999% still under the possession of the TRio. There's no WAY Kojiro would trade Maaiika. We've also seen Musashi express fondness towards Bakeccha which makes me doubt she'd trade it at all let alone for a random one. And anyway in order to explore these trading avenues I think it would need to be at least a significant B plot (if not the A plot) of an episode and I'm not sure such an opportunity will present itself within the time scales we're working in. If anything I agree with people who think this could happen in the upcoming haunted house episode. Anyway, I await the outcome with trepidation...

While not main characters, Bianca and Juniper did trade their Shelmet and Karrablast in Unova, specifically to evolve both creatures. What I don't know how they'll explain is Inkay's evolution into Malamar, since the 3DS needs to be upside down for that, and I doubt it'll produce the same result if Inkay just sleeps upside down like a bat.

My guess is that Pumpkaboo will get lost in that haunted house and an old lady or a group of Pokémon will take care of it for a while, and then it will evolve when it finds Jessie.

What I don't know how they'll explain is Inkay's evolution into Malamar, since the 3DS needs to be upside down for that, and I doubt it'll produce the same result if Inkay just sleeps upside down like a bat.
Well luckily for them I don't think they'll ever be in a situation where they have to explain this! :p

Back
Top Bottom