• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

The space between Raihan and now is not 'premium Ash stretch'.

It's good for Goh's growth and sets stuff up for Ash, but it spawns paranoia.

Still expect a larger Ash roster to come with time, still hoping for a Ralts-Gardevoir spread but I'm happy to be surprised a la Galarfetch'd.

Ash: Uses Pikachu or Riolu to battle

Entire anipoke community:
1604556154856.png

Its time for a bold prediction: Ash's Lucario will be the only Lucario which will evolve ones more into a brand new Pokemon. No Gigantamax or Mega Evolution, but a very rare evolution which Ash and Lucario unlock. This could be a very interesting story, similar yet different to the Greninja Arc

As long as it's not something contrived that's made up on the fly and actually makes sense with Lucario, both as a character and as a species. Ash-Greninja is one of the worst possible gimmicks they could have come up with.
That’s a bit harsh seems a lot of people like it if it manages to be pokemon of the year while not being in sword and shield lol

How was it the worst?
I liked the concept but It felt too contrived to me honestly. Are they trying to tell us that a thousand years ago a trainer looked just like Ash and had a Greninja which took up its trainer's features? Okay...

That’s a bit harsh seems a lot of people like it if it manages to be pokemon of the year while not being in sword and shield lol
Greninja is the Pokémon of the year. Not Ash-Greninja. There’s a difference. And just because a lot ofpeople like something doesn’t mean that others can dislike it.

I liked the concept but It felt too contrived to me honestly. Are they trying to tell us that a thousand years ago a trainer looked just like Ash and had a Greninja which took up its trainer's features? Okay...

Greninja is the Pokémon of the year. Not Ash-Greninja. There’s a difference. And just because a lot ofpeople like something doesn’t mean that others can dislike it.
I’m sorry but this is kind of stupid. Greninja is pokemon of the year BECAUSE of Ash greninja. It wouldn’t be pokemon of the year without the anime portrayal of it. While there is no way to prove this, it is just pretty self explanatory. I never said that people have to like ash-greninja, I just stated it was popular due to being half the form of the pokemon of the year. I feel like the fandom sometimes just go out of their way to bash on every ace for taking too much screentime or being bland or what not.

I feel like the fandom sometimes just go out of their way to bash on every ace for taking too much screentime or being bland or what not.
I don’t hate every ace, in fact I love most of them. I could write an entire manuscript about how good Infernape is but that’s not the topic. Assuming that anyone speaking out about how meh the Lucario situation is "bashing" when they have well justified reasonings isn’t cool though.

I legitimately can’t remember what personality traits Greninja shows after Evolution apart from being a death machine and having a strong bond with Ash. It’s a legitimate loss since they’ve done aces which have lots of personality- just go look at Sceptile and Infernape.

I’m sorry but this is kind of stupid. Greninja is pokemon of the year BECAUSE of Ash greninja. It wouldn’t be pokemon of the year without the anime portrayal of it. While there is no way to prove this, it is just pretty self explanatory. I never said that people have to like ash-greninja, I just stated it was popular due to being half the form of the pokemon of the year. I feel like the fandom sometimes just go out of their way to bash on every ace for taking too much screentime or being bland or what not.
Actually, if I remember correctly, Ash-Greninja was made because Greninja as a species was so popular, not the other way around. Turns out that nobody in the Pokemon Company had anticipated Greninja's popularity, and Froakie being chosen to be Ash's designated regional starter was little more than a lucky shot. When the writers realized that they had accidentally hit a bullseye, they milked it for what it was worth and ran with it. So yeah, Ash-Greninja didn't cause Greninja's popularity, but rather the reverse: Greninja's popularity caused Ash-Greninja. Sure, Ash-Greninja and the anime portrayal probably did help bolster the species' popularity even further, but the frog was already popular before it got this special treatment.

Heck, I'd even daresay that if Greninja had gotten all this special treatment without already being popular, chances are it'd be considerably more reviled and divisive, since audiences don't tend to take kindly to characters that they don't have any strong positive attachments to being constantly shoved into the spotlight or being given freebies. Case in point: during the BW saga, the Pokemon Company noticeably tried really hard to push Emboar into being the "star", what with it having way more anime appearances than the other two starters, being the chosen starter of two different protagonists in other Pokemon works (Black in Adventures and Nate in the B2W2 animated trailer), and even Ash's Pignite initially was initially being set up to be his regional ace (notice how Pignite is a carbon-copy of Infernape in personality and backstory and got to participate in way more battles than any other BW mon. Yes, even more than Krookodile, in fact. The writers were clearly trying to capture Infernape's lightning again here). But guess what, it didn't work. Emboar was already polarizing for being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row, and trying to shove it into the spotlight didn't do anything to endear it to audiences, to the point that it is the only starter along with Meganium and Chesnaught to not break into the Top 30 of its own Generation (and even then, Meganium at least has one of its pre-evolutions breaking into the top 30, whereas with Emboar and Chesnaught their entire lines failed to make it in, and keep in mind that Chesnaught was the least promoted starter during its Generation).

TL;DR, it's not spotlight-hogging what creates popularity, popularity is what creates spotlight-hogging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom