• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Pet Names

Nayyru

PokeNerd
Reaction score
I saw there was a thread about naming children after pokemon, and i couldn't find one about naming pets after pokemon (sorry if there's aleady one of these) Do you have any pets named after pokemon?

I had a hamster when I was little that I called Ash, and now I have a dog named Pachirisu and a cat named Jynx.

I once saw a cat named Charmander. See, this makes more sense than naming children after Pokemon.

^ Exactly. I think i might name my 3 gold fish magikarp 1, 2 and 3... but they already have names.

^That would sound fully normal, as it implies that your fish is the king of the sea.

Animals should not be named after pokemon. As to my opinions regarding naming children after pokemon, they can be variously seen here, here, here, here, and here, and here. (That is, here. It won't be a trend until you start it!)

Otherwise, you can get minor points for miniature references, like naming a carp "Magik." You won't get originality or loyalty points otherwise, nor any frequent flier miles. If you wish to push boundaries, they should generally be inconsequential boundaries--it's fine to give ridiculous names to fish, and equally fine to give things like finches and what not ridiculous names: however, any creature you interact with shouldn't be used as a show of one's pop/cul tastes, loyalties, and/or sensibilities. (There is generally a general set of rules for naming dogs, by the way.)

(It's ultimately in a human's power to understand and forgive, and pets are less capable of these things. So name your daughter Feraligatr, and let her be ridiculed until she changes her name--she'll still have the potential to be straightened out more than a dog given that name.)

/jocular.

I think naming a dog Arcanine would be cool. I mean, everyone knows Arcanine is cool and fierce. I don't think I would do it to MY dog, but it would be cool. But in all seriousness if I ended up with a black lab I might consider Umbreon

Not something like a dog or a cat, but smaller/dumber pets are fair game.

When I was little I had three slider turtles named after the Squirtle line.

If I ver get a dog, I'm going to name it after a Pokemon with similar colouring, and I've nicknamed the fish in our pond Magikarp, Goldeen, Remoraid and Finneon.

My cat's named "Mew" but I think that it is coincidential.

I played around naming my (then) kitten Meowth or Persian because he had their markings and luxurious fur, but Meowth was just too weird, and I think people would get his breed mixed up had i named him Persian. So in the end I went with Twilight (partially after Twilight Sparkle, partially because of the Twitard in me lol, and partially because when he sits in just the right way, he has a crescent moon on his back)

Even though I think it's pretty pointless naming pets after Pokémon, I call my cat Skitty when nobody's around.

I haven't named my pet after a Pokemon, but I have named several Pokemon after pets. I named my Growlithe Oree after my dog, my Gengar is named Inky after a cat I owned, and I have a Cincinno named Wolfie after my chinchilla.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom