• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that my Emerald died a couple of months ago (I didn't even get a chance to migrate my mons, sadface), I'd happily welcome a Ruby and Sapphire remake very quickly. And with X and Y graphics and sound? No question!

I think this is the biggest reason Gen III needs a remake. Not because of the graphics or sound or lack of later Pokemon, but because a lot of the originals are becoming unplayable for various reasons. The internal battery ran dead on mine years ago, which keeps a lot of features from working properly, people may lose their cartridge after over 10 years, it can break, etc. I've seen a lot of people resorting to using an emulator, so if people are still willing to play, I would think Game Freak would at least use that as a chance to sell more games.

Sans the dead internal clock preventing me from growing berries, my Ruby still works fine - it plays and saves (only fews ago I used it to farm me some Gen III Pokémon for my Black 2 Pokédex). Did I mention it survived an accident I had (which DESTROYED the GBA my cart was inside of when said accident happened)? So I consider the "unplayable and broken" argument moot and laughable.

Last edited:
That only proved that things don't always result perfect on first try. It was a good idea poorly executed, so I think it deserves a second chance. If it fails again, then I'l admit it doesn't work. But until then, I still root for the return of a longer game with two regions.

What are you talking about? You didn't like the 16 badges? Then all that proves is you didn't like them. If there are polls saying the majority of players didn't like it either, then it would have done more harm then good for GameFreak/Nintendo.
However, I hear more players wanting more content then less. So I imagine it would do more good then harm to continue lengthening story lines of games.

Although, my post was just talking about my personal preference. I don't think anyone should feel obligated to like one number over another.

It's not just a poorly executed idea, it's a poor idea to begin with. You can't just put two regions together without sacrificing something to make it all work. You got two regions, sure, but they each felt like half a region. And the pacing has to be different in some way. GSCHGSS handled the pacing by having the first half of the game be incredibly weak and the second half had wonky pacing (incredibly stagnant through most of Kanto, and then a large level jump when you fight Red). Now there's any number of ways they could handle it, but you couldn't get the same pacing that you could in other games with two regions.

In the end, multiple regions doesn't really accomplish what people want it to, which is to have more content than you get in one region games. You're getting the same amount of content split into different regions.

It's not just a poorly executed idea, it's a poor idea to begin with.

How is a larger overworld and a longer story a poor idea?

You can't just put two regions together without sacrificing something to make it all work. You got two regions, sure, but they each felt like half a region.

The regions were crammed and small in GSC due to technical limitations (namely, ROM space), and in HGSS because Game Freak is afraid of tweaking too much the original source in remakes, so unfortunately for HGSS it was left as it was in the originals, thus, it's a matter of execution, not concept. Now with the 3DS two big regions are accomplishable: Skyrim's HUGE overworld is alone probably even larger than the 5 Poké-regions together, and it fit in a 8GB DVD; 3DS carts can hold up to 8GB so there's no excuse now for small overworlds.

And the pacing has to be different in some way. GSCHGSS handled the pacing by having the first half of the game be incredibly weak and the second half had wonky pacing (incredibly stagnant through most of Kanto, and then a large level jump when you fight Red).

Again, that's a matter of implementation, not concept, and again, it stems from a taboo, namely, GF's refusal to feature Pokémon with levels higher than 60 in the main story which led us to the very weird level curve in GSCHGSS. But what purpose is there to train Pokémon up to level 100 when in-game trainers rarely surpass Lv. 70 and official competitions and battle facilities level Pokémon down to Lv. 50? Having two regions and 16 badges to collect would in fact be beneficial to the series - now there would be a true purpose (other than bragging rights and probably some moves that can be learned by other means anyway) to use Pokémon's full level range in-game. A final boss with a Lv. 100 team? YES, PLEASE!

Now there's any number of ways they could handle it

So now even you are admitting this is a matter of execution not concept, and you're even recognizing that it does have its solutions. Then you can't call it a poor idea.

(...). but you couldn't get the same pacing that you could in other games with two regions.

And why is that a bad thing? Actually, a different pacing, if done right would shake things up a bit and some people would stop complaining that every new game in the series is the same thing with a new coat of paint and some minor tweaks. Also, as I already said, that would finally allow full advantage to the entire level range.

In the end, multiple regions doesn't really accomplish what people want it to, which is to have more content than you get in one region games. You're getting the same amount of content split into different regions.

As I already explained, that was only done in GSCHGSS because of technical limitations that no longer exist. Yes, getting the same amount of content split into two regions was silly and a bad move (so I'll have to agree with you on this one), but as I have repeated, that's execution, not concept. What about two fullfleshed regions so that we actually get two regions worth of content? I don't think double the content -not space- for the same price does more harm than good, that's just being narrowminded.

In the end, just because you didn't like something doesn't really mean it's a bad thing. Everything deserves a second chance, including the series itself. With your logic, the series should have stopped at Gen I because of how terirble it was (broken gameplay, lots of glitches and so on).

The regions were crammed and small in GSC due to technical limitations (namely, ROM space), and in HGSS because Game Freak is afraid of tweaking too much the original source in remakes, so unfortunately for HGSS it was left as it was in the originals, thus, it's a matter of execution, not concept. Now with the 3DS two big regions are accomplishable: Skyrim's HUGE overworld is alone probably even larger than the 5 Poké-regions together, and it fit in a 8GB DVD; 3DS carts can hold up to 8GB so there's no excuse now for small overworlds.

Or alternately, they could take that extra space and create an even bigger region than we normally get. Splitting the region up adds nothing to the gameplay that couldn't have been done with one larger region. They can get a lot more out of giving each region individual attention. Imagine if Johto had a game to itself and developed into a Hoenn size region, or even bigger than that (speaking of which, next time we got to either Johto or Kanto, this needs to happen). There'd be a lot more value there than if Johto is attached to Kanto.

Again, that's a matter of implementation, not concept, and again, it stems from a taboo, namely, GF's refusal to feature Pokémon with levels higher than 60 in the main story which led us to the very weird level curve in GSCHGSS. But what purpose is there to train Pokémon up to level 100 when in-game trainers rarely surpass Lv. 70 and official competitions and battle facilities level Pokémon down to Lv. 50? Having two regions and 16 badges to collect would in fact be beneficial to the series - now there would be a true purpose (other than bragging rights and probably some moves that can be learned by other means anyway) to use Pokémon's full level range in-game. A final boss with a Lv. 100 team? YES, PLEASE!

Lv. 100 is something that should be earned by putting in extra effort after the game is completing. Earning it automatically through the storyline cheapens the accomplishment. 60-70ish has proven to be a good balance, your Pokemon end up very strong in the end, but still requires plenty of effort to reach Lv. 100.

And why is that a bad thing? Actually, a different pacing, if done right would shake things up a bit and some people would stop complaining that every new game in the series is the same thing with a new coat of paint and some minor tweaks. Also, as I already said, that would finally allow full advantage to the entire level range.

Messing with the pacing would mess with the difficulty and game length too much.

Yes, getting the same amount of content split into two regions was silly and a bad move (so I'll have to agree with you on this one), but as I have repeated, that's execution, not concept. What about two fullfleshed regions so that we actually get two regions worth of content? I don't think double the content -not space- for the same price does more harm than good, that's just being narrowminded.

No, it is a concept problem. You can't give each individual region the attention it deserves if it's shackled to another region. You can't get a full fleshed region unless it has a game to itself, so you're not getting double the content, you're getting the same amount of content disguised as double the content.

Last edited:
The thing with potential remakes is the storyline it would take. Would it be two versions with just the Groudon/Kyogre storyline or a standalone with Rayquaza? Or would it be a combination of both? (Fusion of games, Emerald Ruby and Emerald Sapphire?)

Sans the dead internal clock preventing me from growing berries, my Ruby still works fine - it plays and saves (only fews ago I used it to farm me some Gen III Pokémon for my Black 2 Pokédex). Did I mention it survived an accident I had (which DESTROYED the GBA my cart was inside of when said accident happened)? So I consider the "unplayable and broken" argument moot and laughable.

I guess you've been fortunate with your game, but don't assume that everyone has been just as lucky. I'm sure the people who have actually lost or broken their game are not laughing at my argument. These people, along with other fans who just want an updated game, welcome the idea with open arms.

There's also the newer players who never got the chance to play RSE. I think Game Freak would prefer them playing a legitimate game based on them over illegally downloading them on an emulator. It would be a win-win situation in most cases.

This is probably the last I'm going to say on the subject since I'm afraid I'll step over the bounds of the discussion. I personally fully believe that a Gen III remake will come since I see no reason for Game Freak not to give us one. I am greatly looking forward to all of the features they will add, and most of all, I'm looking forward to revisiting my favorite region.

The thing with potential remakes is the storyline it would take. Would it be two versions with just the Groudon/Kyogre storyline or a standalone with Rayquaza? Or would it be a combination of both? (Fusion of games, Emerald Ruby and Emerald Sapphire?)

Probably the two versions with the Kyogre/Groudon storyline. They could still include some new characters and features from Emerald like Scott, Battle Tents, Battle Frontier, etc. and maybe even a few story elements from Emerald as long as they aren't about the legendaries or teams.

Well, HGSS had some storyline elements from Crystal, so RS remakes will probably include some Emerald elements. So maybe all three of the trio will appear, where Rayquaza will appear to calm the other two down, and then the version mascot will be catchable afterward, the opposite mascot will either go away completely or be available post game, and Rayquaza will be catchable post game.

I'd hope a gen III remake wouldn't include the battle tents. Regular old hoenn contests were actually fun, and having to wait to near the end in emerald was sorta annoying, compared to the tents which I couldn't have given half a shit about. Space the contest halls out the same as you would the gyms.

i have an idea for gen 3 remakes. i kind of think that they should be sequels like black 2 and white 2. The games would take place around the same time of x and y whatever it may be. with this new gen gamefreak introduce a new type, mega evolution, character customization, and other stuff. So to put all new features in a remake of the old game would be odd. How would the explain the addition of fairy type and mega evolution. Also it would be a bit strange to change the hair and skin color of brendon and may and still have them be normans child. with sequels they could add new citys have a new plot and still have mega evolution and fairy type still in the game. The player character can still have customization.

the sequels should have a new player character in a new town. there should also be 2 new evil team that have members of the old teams magma and aqua but this time they will act with intelligence when taking over the world. the time should be set around the same time as pokemon x and y but the events are based on what happened in emerald as in both of the team are evil and you had to wake up rayquaza. the pokemon league should also change like maybe replacing Roxanne, wattson, and/or brawly. i think the champion should be ether a new character or wally while the original elite 4 should have 2 members replaced(maybe sidney should become a gym leader). the sequels should add new areas while revamping the old. there are a few little islands that we never got to go to. the music should be the same as the original but only updated. mega evolution should still be in the game. and may have a trainer red like battle with brendon/may depending on gender. also the battle frontier should stay how it is but only updated to stay with the times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suddenly making sequels to 11 year old games wouldn't make any sense, specially because a lot of the current fans of the series didn't have a chance to play Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Hell, some of them weren't even born back in 2002/03.

like i stated before there will be many new additions in pokemon x and y so i think that sequels would be the best way those addition can be put in the game and besides as long as were get good remakes or sequels of hoenn in 3d no one will complain

i have an idea for gen 3 remakes. i kind of think that they should be sequels like black 2 and white 2. The games would take place around the same time of x and y whatever it may be. with this new gen gamefreak introduce a new type, mega evolution, character customization, and other stuff. So to put all new features in a remake of the old game would be odd. How would the explain the addition of fairy type and mega evolution. Also it would be a bit strange to change the hair and skin color of brendon and may and still have them be normans child. with sequels they could add new citys have a new plot and still have mega evolution and fairy type still in the game. The player character can still have customization.

the sequels should have a new player character in a new town. there should also be 2 new evil team that have members of the old teams magma and aqua but this time they will act with intelligence when taking over the world. the time should be set around the same time as pokemon x and y but the events are based on what happened in emerald as in both of the team are evil and you had to wake up rayquaza. the pokemon league should also change like maybe replacing Roxanne, wattson, and/or brawly. i think the champion should be ether a new character or wally while the original elite 4 should have 2 members replaced(maybe sidney should become a gym leader). the sequels should add new areas while revamping the old. there are a few little islands that we never got to go to. the music should be the same as the original but only updated. mega evolution should still be in the game. and may have a trainer red like battle with brendon/may depending on gender. also the battle frontier should stay how it is but only updated to stay with the times.

I don't think we necessarily need a new starting city because there's not much else they can put a new town that would fit the regional design very well (since Hoenn is an island region, we'd need to explore the mainland first) unless the beginning area connects to the mainland by boat. Anyway, they can still create interesting regional design by starting in Littleroot Town again.

Also, I'd like to see them add 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex, they could add a lot more variety if they had some newer Pokemon. Distribution wise, Hoenn could also use some more wild Pokemon, especially in the water routes.

Suddenly making sequels to 11 year old games wouldn't make any sense, specially because a lot of the current fans of the series didn't have a chance to play Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Hell, some of them weren't even born back in 2002/03.

Doesn't really matter much, considering that you really didn't need to know the plot of BW1 to understand BW2. If need be, they can do flashbacks like they did with the Memory Link system.

I'd hope a gen III remake wouldn't include the battle tents. Regular old hoenn contests were actually fun, and having to wait to near the end in emerald was sorta annoying, compared to the tents which I couldn't have given half a shit about. Space the contest halls out the same as you would the gyms.
I agree. If there was one thing about R/S that I liked more than Emerald, it would be the contests. The battle tents were redundant once we had the frontier.

if the remakes do come i certain the battle tents will go because the only purpose they had was to prepare the trainer for the actually battle frontier.

The point or remaking a game is to remake it. Sure, there is additions, but the core storyline should be kept, because it's supposed to be refreshing what it already had.

If they do make remakes of Ruby/Sapphire, I do expect them to incoporate some of the changes from Emerald. But I prefer Steven as champion.

Even though I know a lot of people loved the changes made by Emerald, there were few that I wasn't comfortable with. One of them, as I said before, was the contests/battle tents. The other was the changing of champions. I felt it wasn't necessary, IMO. I feel that since Juan was a new character he should been the "Red" of Hoenn (I know people aren't going to like this idea), since he left the region for a while and could have done some training.

I think it would be cool to maybe break the R/S/E plots between Wallace and Steven. Since Sootopolis was tied to the orbs, I think Wallace should have had a much bigger role in the main plot. I also think Steven should be incorporate to the plot of the Regis, since it fits his aesthetic.

The point or remaking a game is to remake it. Sure, there is additions, but the core storyline should be kept, because it's supposed to be refreshing what it already had.

No, the point of remakes is to relive old experiences. A sequel can easily accomplish this with the added benefit of making the games more worthwhile to play if you've played the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom