• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ruby and Sapphire Remake Discussion *NEW RULE*

Hmm, this should be fantastic on the 3DS. (sorry, I need to use up some posts)

I will be the happiest person alive, should this happen.

In terms of plot, I kinda hope they just stay with Ruby and Sapphire's respective plots, rather than Emerald's, yet still include the double battle with Steven. Which brings me to say, I'd like to see Steven as the champion, not Wallace. <_<

That aside, they'll probably just end up doing what they did with HG/SS. (Incorporate elements from R/S and Emerald's plots.)

I will be the happiest person alive, should this happen.

In terms of plot, I kinda hope they just stay with Ruby and Sapphire's respective plots, rather than Emerald's, yet still include the double battle with Steven. Which brings me to say, I'd like to see Steven as the champion, not Wallace. <_<

That aside, they'll probably just end up doing what they did with HG/SS. (Incorporate elements from R/S and Emerald's plots.)

I'd personally rather that they stick with the Emerald plot; I found it more interesting to have a sort of clan war going on and you having to stop it, also it allowed me to catch both Kyogre and Groudon (which ultimately was more important than the plot, if they have an RS plot but you can catch both, I would be cool with that)

Steven should NOT be the Champion. He us mire fitting as a True Final Boss and the RS version of Red. Wallace is a great champion who has amazing type coverage even with just water types.

I'd personally rather that they stick with the Emerald plot; I found it more interesting to have a sort of clan war going on and you having to stop it, also it allowed me to catch both Kyogre and Groudon (which ultimately was more important than the plot, if they have an RS plot but you can catch both, I would be cool with that)

That's true. Infiltrating both teams' hideouts was pretty cool. Plus, think of how awesome the Rayquaza/Kyogre/Groudon scene would be on the 3DS, not to mention the constant shift between torrential rain and drought...okay. I've changed my opinion. I would be cool with the Emerald plot. Haha.

@Ranger Jack Walker - I thought about that after I said that Steven should be the champion. If he was the champion, who would be the true final trainer? Certainly not Wallace. There's only one character who can make the final showdown at Meteor Falls even more epic than it was in Emerald.

If they didn't remake R/S I'd be really disappointed. I only ever got to 8 badges on my Sapphire, but I'd definitely beat the whole thing on the remake!

I wonder who would be the Champion though? Maybe Wallace for one game and Steven for the other?? That'd be weird, though. XP

If Steven is the Champion, maybe Juan could be the übertrainer.

Also if any of you played B/W you would know that N flew off to a distant land, perhaps as a post-E4 story you would find out that the "distant land" is actually Hoenn and you can battle him, and he uses Zekrom in Ruby and Reshiram in Sapphire

There is the new final boss, I said it on Page 16, it's obvious none of you read it... Steven is champion and N is final boss, also keep Emerald plot, duh! They always use third version and the original two combined into one big plot, but with some exclusives, like you can only get one, Kyogre or Groudon, etc.

Also if any of you played B/W you would know that N flew off to a distant land, perhaps as a post-E4 story you would find out that the "distant land" is actually Hoenn and you can battle him, and he uses Zekrom in Ruby and Reshiram in Sapphire

There is the new final boss, I said it on Page 16, it's obvious none of you read it... Steven is champion and N is final boss

Except that BW takes place YEARS after the rest of the series, so no. At the time of RSE (even by the end as a post E-4 story), N hasn't even summoned his Dragon yet.

Even if by some means you managed to convince yourself BW takes place before RSE, why would N be tere?

Except that BW takes place YEARS after the rest of the series, so no. At the time of RSE (even by the end as a post E-4 story), N hasn't even summoned his Dragon yet.

How do you know? Gen I was revealed to have taken place during Gen III, same for Gen II with Gen IV, how do you know the same thing won't happen, after all, remaking the games along with other games puts them on the same spot during the timeline. Unless you can officially prove that you work for Gamefreak/Nintendo you can't confirm when anything took place.

While I can't confirm exactly when everything took place, at least I CAN confirm that RSE and BW are years away in the series timeline.

How do I know? Because if RSE take place at the same time that FRLG -as you just said, so don't blame it on me-, then they both happen 3 years before DPPt and HGSS. And then comes BW which EXPLICITLY SAYS (instead of just implying it like in previous games) that it takes place some years AFTER DPPt/HGSS (grown up Caitlin, plus Cynthia actualy says that YEARS AGO a trainer battled Giratina and Team Plasma speaks about T-Rockets' actions IN THE PAST) and thus, several years after FRLG and then by extension, RSE.

So yeah, pretty much unofficial and unconfirmed [/sarcasm].

Practically you yourself gave your own answer by stating that Gens I and III happen concurrently.

Pokémon originating from the GBA versions are described in Black and White as having gone through time. Game Freak most likely added this line to distinguish between FRLG Kanto Pokémon and their HGSS Kanto counterparts, but this also sheds light on their views on the timeline in regard to Hoenn.

I find it curious that Game Freak bothered to add something to the data that involves the original games, but nothing that could be construed as relevant to future remakes.

I don't see why 2 different pairs of games in the same generation HAVE to take place at more or less the same time.

They always use third version and the original two combined into one big plot, but with some exclusives, like you can only get one, Kyogre or Groudon, etc.
Uh...No they don't. There have only been two sets of remakes so far, and only in the second set did they use anything from the third game from the generation they were remaking. Now, admittedly, there wasn't much plot difference in GenI between R/B and Yellow, but there were still things that they could have used in FR/LF. For instance, it would have been VERY easy to toss you a free Pikachu at or near the beginning of the game, or even toss in the Jessy and James cameos from Yellow.

Unless you can officially prove that you work for Gamefreak/Nintendo you can't confirm when anything took place.
That's a pretty crap argument. You don't need to work for GameFreak/Nintendo to establish a timeline for the games. It's pretty easy to piece together from the information given out in official sources. Now, of course, GameFreak can just go and retcon the timeline however they see fit, but that's a whole separate issue.

I don't see why 2 different pairs of games in the same generation HAVE to take place at more or less the same time.
They don't, obviously. But the way GF has always presented it has implied that they do.

Last edited:

Ranger Jack Walker said:
They don't, but avoiding the mention of time travel is a fairly logical choice when it comes to promoting compatibility. Why make things cumbersome? One could argue that there was no incontrovertible proof at the time that the Hoenn and Kanto games were concurrent, but there was no reason to think otherwise, either.

The reason we even know when Generation V roughly takes place, is that Game Freak wanted to reference the Generation IV games. They did it in such a way that reminded players of the other DS games (Platinum and HGSS) that are still relatively new, but less advanced than Black and White. How would this work with remakes that would be equal in terms of gameplay? Why are there so few references to Hoenn right now?

That sort of thing has happened only twice which means we can't say its fixed that it always be like that. Even if it was a pattern, nothing could stop them from breaking it if they chose to. They could just explicitly state that the two pairs of games don't take place at around the same time. There would be trade issues as to how people are able to trade directly between the games but the could just srite it off as time travelling which they already did in Gen I and II and also with Gen III pokemon in Gen V.

That sort of thing has happened only twice which means we can't say its fixed that it always be like that. Even if it was a pattern, nothing could stop them from breaking it if they chose to. They could just explicitly state that the two pairs of games don't take place at around the same time. There would be trade issues as to how people are able to trade directly between the games but the could just srite it off as time travelling which they already did in Gen I and II and also with Gen III pokemon in Gen V.

Except that with the inclusion of Pal Park in GenIV, they retconed time travel out of the main series.

Even if it was a pattern, nothing could stop them from breaking it if they chose to.
That applies to the idea of releasing remakes on a regular basis, as well.

They could just explicitly state that the two pairs of games don't take place at around the same time. There would be trade issues as to how people are able to trade directly between the games but the could just srite it off as time travelling which they already did in Gen I and II and also with Gen III pokemon in Gen V.
They've been avoiding the concept of trading with the past ever since Generation II; it's probably only being done right now to make a distinction between FRLG and HGSS Pokémon that were caught in Kanto. Bear in mind that they've never had to do it with battles, let alone the GTS or Global Link. It's not unfeasible, but it is unnecessarily messy.

What I'd like to know is what would indicate a difference between the Hoenn Pokémon from the GBA versions and those from the remakes. Would the latter not have a time travel flag? That would be quite inconsistent given the fact that the time period would be the same; I would think the flag would have been called "Pal Park" in that case. If to make matters more confusing, Hoenn only has location data for the original versions, even though several places in Unova have more than one location in the data due to seasonal differences.

I think they should remake Ruby and Sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom