• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon 'ruined' by evolution.

I adore Pawniard and Bisharp, but I just cannot stand Kingambit and I wish it wasn't slapped on to the end of this perfect evolutionary line that was managing completely fine without it for years.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the idea behind Kingambit — and I even thought a Bisharp evolution could have had potential! — but for me, the reason why Bisharp's design works is because it is cool yet simple. By trying to crank up the "cool" factor of the line further than the "simple" part, Kingambit just ended up being extremely overdesigned, featuring a bunch of clashing shapes and colors that are really not pleasant nor cohesive to look at in my opinion.
The blade on its head is far too big, same for the blades on the nose. If the blade on the head was removed or at least shortened and also the blades on the nose were shortened, it would have been better in my opinion.

• Cyndaquil is one of the cutest starters, but its evolutions are pretty average and boring type-wise and inspiration-wise.
  • Teddiursa is very cute but Ursaring always felt pretty meh to me. Fortunately Ursaluna came and saved the line making it worthy to evolve Teddi.
  • Whismur is cute and memorable. Loudred and Exploud aren't bad, but are a bit too exagerated and gross.
  • Duskull is creepy and interesting, Dusclops is an intriguing mummy/Japanese lamp and then Dusknoir...is just a fat genie with nipples as eyes.
  • Nosepass is simple but interesting, but Probopass is just too unsettling.
  • Oshawott and Dewott are cute warriors, but Samurott changes them too much and adds an ugly mostache.
  • Deino is a blind dino with one head. Zweilous is a blind dino with two heads. So obviously Hydreigon is...a flower with sockpuppets.
  • Aromatisse has been discussed to death in these 10 years but she still deserves a mention.
  • Goomy is really cute and slimy, Sligoo is ok and has an interesting snail shape, but Goodra...ugh. Extremely boring body shape and details.
  • Rolycoly and Carkol had potential, but they just went with the most generic monster possible for the final stage.
  • Sobble is a rather cute amphibian. But then it becomes a punk with big head and hands and and then a lanky frog, that while it has cool powers could have had a more badass and likeable face.
  • Frigibax has an "ugly cute" style I really dig, and Arctibax was decent, but their potential was ruined by a blue metallic Tyranitar clone.

I imagine this isn't a very controversial opinion but Tarountula is the cutest gen 9 mon imo - before I saw it's evo I thought it'd be a really fun shiny hunt cause I love how the ball of string on its back turns red - and then I saw Spidops and like. I get the design inspo he's just so ugly I cannot stand him.

Also maybe this is just me but I really dislike Fuecoco's middle and final evo. They just don't work for me

whew, i have some takes for this thread.

• i don't like hypno. i'm sorry, i just don't. drowzee was one thing, hypno becoming a creepier version is... not great. i know, hypno being creepy is the point, but i still don't like it.
  • zoroark is... okay? maybe it's just jarring seeing something as cute as zorua evolve into something "cool" like zoroark, but i've always preferred the former over the latter. i don't think it's worse per se in that sense, but it's more of a preference thing.
  • flapple > appletun, if there had to be an evolution for applin. i don't care for appletun. i dont dislike it, but i don't see the point of it.
  • i'm not... particularly big on dusknoir? to be clear, i don't hate it, but it's firmly in the "i don't care" camp. duskclops is very cool conceptually and i vibed with it but but dusknor is a bit of a ? for me

huh, thought i'd have a lot more dislikes but i guess that's it!

Back
Top Bottom