• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that deserves a mega-evolution

Apparently Mega Moltres was leaked a few days ago

Do you happen to have a link for this? I'm curious.

I really, really want more Gen 5 Megas. It's my favourite generation design-wise, and it basically sucks that they chose one of the most common, unevolving trash Pokémon as the one and only Mega (it's cute, though). The Gen 5 starters will all get Megas for sure; GF have established that they want to do that and I have no issue with it. Zebstrika *needs* a Mega Evo with some bulk as right now, it's just a really awful glass cannon. Garbodor and Golurk would be awesome. And I'd love for them to make Heatmor and Durant have sick Megas that make them actually usable.

Agreed, Gen V needs some major mega love. Especially the starters. We only have Audino so far. I'd really like to see a Mega Chandelure. Gen II & IV need some more megas too. Hopefully the next game will focus on them gens when introducing new megas.

Looking through the list of Gen 1 Pokémon, honestly, they could make Megas of anything there and fans would lap it up. Unfortunately, Gamefreak doesn't seem to like balancing, so they beef up Pokés that are already way too powerful, like Salamence and Tyranitar, leaving stuff like Sunflora, Delibird, Kricketune etc in the dust.
which is why there are megas for Houndoom, Pinsir, Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Gardevoir, Mawile, Medicham, Manectric, Banette, Absol, Abomasnow, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Sableye, Camerupt, Altaria, Glalie, Lopunny, and Audino. about half of the Pokemon that have Megas are neither popular (Pinsir, Mawile, Medicham) nor strong (Mawile, Sableye, Beedrill). but that's just my observation.

no amount of mega evolution can save Sunflora, Delibird, and Kricketune. they need another evolution or better movepools.

no amount of mega evolution can save Sunflora, Delibird, and Kricketune. they need another evolution or better movepools.

Eh. I don't know about Delibird and Kricketune since I never made a fake Mega for those, but Sunflora is easily salvageable. Give it Drought + Grass/Fire typing, Weather Ball, remove some Attack (like Beedrill had -Sp.Atk) and then dump the 100+ points in Def, Sp.Atk and Sp.Def.

It even has Growth to abuse under Drought for +2 Atk and Sp.Atk, and then has Earth Power for great coverage alongside Fire and Grass STAB. Synthesis under Sun also increases to 75% 66.6% healing too.

I think people underestimate just how much a good ability and/or new typing can go when on top of 100+ more stat points.

Last edited:
I think people underestimate just how much a good ability and/or new typing can go when on top of 100+ more stat points.

People rarely consider that the slight alteration of some stats could take something noticeably forgettable and make it pretty badass. I imagine Mega-Poliwrath could benefit this way.

The image certainly looks like it came from a magazine. It looks real to me, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

That said, Moltres is appearing in an upcoming episode, it could just be premoting that. Next month's CoroCoro will will be out before the episode airs, maybe we could get a glimpse of Mega Moltres then? Though it's a long shot and seems a little too conveniently timed imo.

Last edited:
You think they'll debut a new ME in the anime? That seems unlikely... however I recall Blaziken debuting in the anime too. So you could be right. Or it is no ME and the flames just to add a little bit more flashiness to the legendary bird.

Eh. I don't know about Delibird and Kricketune since I never made a fake Mega for those, but Sunflora is easily salvageable. Give it Drought + Grass/Fire typing, Weather Ball, remove some Attack (like Beedrill had -Sp.Atk) and then dump the 100+ points in Def, Sp.Atk and Sp.Def.

It even has Growth to abuse under Drought for +2 Atk and Sp.Atk, and then has Earth Power for great coverage alongside Fire and Grass STAB. Synthesis under Sun also increases to 75% 66.6% healing too.

that wouldn't really make Sunflora more useable. i took away -30 from its attack (that seems to be GF's go-to amount; see: Abomasnow, Beedrill), and gave it a comparable redistribution to Mega Abomasnow (40/40/30/20 to Defense and so on) and Sunflora would still be too slow with 50 speed. Even with 70 speed, Sunflora would be too slow.

at the end of the day, this Mega Sunflora would be better off as a real evolution and not a waste of a Mega slot.

that wouldn't really make Sunflora more useable.

What? Take the below stat spread:

75 HP / 45 Atk (-30) / 100 Def (+45) / 160 Sp.Atk (+55) / 115 Sp.Def (+30) / 30 Speed

So you think these stats (or similar) on a Grass/Fire type with Drought (high base power STAB moves in Drought-boosed Fire STAB + Solar Beam) and extra Ground coverage (Earth Power) alongside respectable healing (Synthesis/Morning Sun combined with Drought) or Growth (Nasty Plot equivalent with an active Drought) isn't more usable than Sunflora is now?

It would hit as hard as Mega Charizard Y:

252+ SpA Sunflora Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 252-297 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 153-180 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO

Though Charizard Y can use a Modest nature too, which makes it slightly weaker due to Fire Blast being stronger in BP than Weather Ball. But whatever. It hits hard and has more power on its Solar Beam.

And this isn't really taking into account for Trick Room, which is pretty much one of the biggest playstyles in VGC. So the low Speed isn't such a massive deal anyway; not every Pokemon has to be fast and plenty of Pokemon can and do work fine without it.

And honestly putting Speed on a Mega Sunflora seems a bit of a waste because it's so slow to start with it's just throwing away points.

Would it be breaking the metagame or fly straight to the top? Nah, probably not. Would it make an otherwise unusable junk Pokemon worth using? Yes!

at the end of the day, this Mega Sunflora would be better off as a real evolution and not a waste of a Mega slot.

Even if they are to ignore Megas, Sunflora probably isn't on their radar for a real evolution anyway. It evolves by stone and since Gen I they haven't broken that rule. I don't see that changing solely for Sunflora and it being given a regular evolution over a Mega.

The image certainly looks like it came from a magazine. It looks real to me, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

That said, Moltres is appearing in an upcoming episode, it could just be premoting that. Next month's CoroCoro will will be out before the episode airs, maybe we could get a glimpse of Mega Moltres then? Though it's a long shot and seems a little too conveniently timed imo.
Just found the full image that the supposed M Moltres is from: https://twitter.com/bw2channel/status/622411382835777538/

I can't read Japanese, so I've no idea if this is a tease for a Mega form or just a promo for the Legendary Birds making an appearance in the anime.

Do you happen to have a link for this? I'm curious.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/megaevolution

It is a post from July 18th.

I'm not even sure that's not a regular Moltres. From what we can see of it, its design looks the same.

Anyway, I agree with Grass/Fire Sunflora, that would be pretty neat. But I really want to see more Electric type Megas, Electric got absolutely none in ORAS and only two in XY, it needs more. In particular, I think Electric/Dark Mega Luxray would be good, but I'd also be happy to see Raichu, Electrode, Electivire, Zebstrika, or Galvantula.

Some other Megas I want to see:

-Give some more Kanto Pokemon Ghost type Megas. Fire/Ghost Ninetales and Ground/Ghost Marowak would be good.
-Bug/Fighting Mega Ledian
-Mega Zangoose and Seviper, with Seviper getting its own signature ability to complement Zangoose's Toxic Boost.
-Water/Fairy Mega Milotic
-Mega Roserade
-Mega Floatzel
-Ghost/Fairy Mega Mismagius
-Mega Drapion
-Mega Togekiss

I have a feeling most of the last half of these might not show up until Sinnoh remakes though.

Last edited:
Now I am fairly certain that this will just be regular Moltres.

I agree on the Electric Megas - they are severely underrepresented. A Mega Electrode with a Masterball design going on would be awesome.

What? Take the below stat spread:

75 HP / 45 Atk (-30) / 100 Def (+45) / 160 Sp.Atk (+55) / 115 Sp.Def (+30) / 30 Speed

So you think these stats (or similar) on a Grass/Fire type with Drought (high base power STAB moves in Drought-boosed Fire STAB + Solar Beam) and extra Ground coverage (Earth Power) alongside respectable healing (Synthesis/Morning Sun combined with Drought) or Growth (Nasty Plot equivalent with an active Drought) isn't more usable than Sunflora is now?

It would hit as hard as Mega Charizard Y:

252+ SpA Sunflora Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 252-297 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 153-180 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO

Though Charizard Y can use a Modest nature too, which makes it slightly weaker due to Fire Blast being stronger in BP than Weather Ball. But whatever. It hits hard and has more power on its Solar Beam.

And this isn't really taking into account for Trick Room, which is pretty much one of the biggest playstyles in VGC. So the low Speed isn't such a massive deal anyway; not every Pokemon has to be fast and plenty of Pokemon can and do work fine without it.

And honestly putting Speed on a Mega Sunflora seems a bit of a waste because it's so slow to start with it's just throwing away points.

Would it be breaking the metagame or fly straight to the top? Nah, probably not. Would it make an otherwise unusable junk Pokemon worth using? Yes!
it would be useable in the sense that you wouldn't be a complete laughingstock. viable? no, not really.

1) slow; you say Trick Room, but then you have Drought. so essentially you have a hella specific team that would be burdened by the fact that it need to be able to take advantage of both Trick Room and Drought. not to mention it neuters Venusaur, which is probably one of the biggest and best sun user and any other Chlorophyll Grass-type.

2) predictable; yeah your Sunflora only has one moveset ([recovery]/Earth Power/Solar Beam/Weather Ball). predictability isn't good, but it can be offset by speed, which your Sunflora doesn't have unless it's in a Trick Room.

3) Talonflame
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Sunflora: 322-382 (110.6 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sunflora: 322-382 (90.9 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

the short version? you're fucked, especially if it (somehow) gets a swords dance off

4) if it hits just as hard as ZardY, why not use that and have more flexibility?

Last edited:
1) slow; you say Trick Room, but then you have Drought. so essentially you have a hella specific team that would be burdened by the fact that it need to be able to take advantage of both Trick Room and Drought.

You act like Trick Room teams don't cater solely to Trick Room as it is lol. And no, you don't need to be able to take advantage of Drought. Drought is just there for Sunflora like it is for Charizard the majority of the time

And I'm pretty sure it would work fine out of Trick Room anyway. It'd be a Mega with reliable healing, so being super slow isn't a massive drawback like it is on some, like Camerupt and Steelix, which are forced to take hits that they can never heal back. I was saying that if being slow is a big problem to you then Trick Room is always an option, not that it is the sole option.

not to mention it neuters Venusaur, which is probably one of the biggest and best sun user and any other Chlorophyll Grass-type.

Except you wouldn't have to run a sun team with it. Most Zard Y teams don't use Chlorophyll mons/aren't solely devoted to Drought. ?_?

2) predictable; yeah your Sunflora only has one moveset ([recovery]/Earth Power/Solar Beam/Weather Ball). predictability isn't good, but it can be offset by speed, which your Sunflora doesn't have unless it's in a Trick Room.

I don't recall saying it wouldn't be predictable. But predictable isn't the end of the world and =/= unusable (remember, that was your original point, that it wouldn't be more usable than regular Sunflora... but I see you've shifted the goalposts from it being unusable to "it's-usable-but-a-complete-joke-and-oh-so-awfully-predictable-and-bad!).

Weather Ball
Solar Beam
Earth Power / Growth
Synthesis / Growth / Hidden Power Rock

That would be a decent set. Yeah not loads of choices (there's some other interesting stuff like Encore, Sub, Toxic, Endeavor, Leech Seed), but enough to tinker around with it. Plus with it being so slow you could run bulky sets or offensive sets too. Having one moveset isn't the end of the world, especially if that one moveset is good enough to get its job done. So I don't get your problem here, other than you trying to find points to disagree with because you're determined it has to be and would be bad.

3) Talonflame
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Sunflora: 322-382 (110.6 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sunflora: 322-382 (90.9 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

the short version? you're fucked, especially if it (somehow) gets a swords dance off

Dude... what are you even trying to prove here - Talonflame beats anything weak to Flying and tbh it even beats lots of stuff that aren't weak to it. How is this even remotely unique to Sunflora? Talonflame beats Mega Lopunny, Mega Gallade, Mega Sceptile, Mega Pinsir, Mega Heracross, Mega Venusaur, Mega Abomasnow, Mega Blaziken and Mega Medicham and those are only the ones weak to Flying. So not including any weak to Fire (Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, Mega Glalie, Mega Lucario) any which it can beat because they are so frail (Mega Alakazam, Mega Absol, Mega Gardevoir) ones it can burn and beat (Metagross, Steelix, Aggron), ones it can set up on (Mega Sableye) and probably a bunch of others.

A Brave Bird beating a Grass type is pretty damn obvious and not a problem that would be unique to Sunflora.

But hey, if you want to see something cool from a cherry-picked situation there's this:

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sunflora: 248-294 (70 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Sunflora Hidden Power Rock vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 356-420 (111.5 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sunflora is either getting a Mega or it's getting nothing. Like it or lump it. It seems to me it doesn't matter what is said here, you're just determined to hate on the idea of a Mega Sunflora from the get-go regardless of what it is. If Pokemon like Lopunny, Mawile and Beedrill can be saved by a Mega I think you're very ignorant to assume Sunflora can't also be redeemed (sure, it might not be the most amazing or most versatile Mega, but a Mega Sunflora would certainly be more "usable" than regular Sunflora.)

Last edited:
1) you're right, i'm wrong. you would be able to use a Mega Sunflora over a Sunflora. you wouldn't be a laughingstock. would it be viable or actually useable? no.

2) yes. you don't need the entire team to take advantage of Trick Room or Drought, but you definitely don't want teammates that are hindered by it.

3) even if HP Rock can take out Talonflame (but what doesn't kill Talonflame with super-effective damage?), you have to be defensively spec'd to survive. not to mention there's a slurry of other Pokemon that can also easily kill your defensively spec'd (which i doubt anyone would actually use) Sunflora beyond Talonflame. but hey, ignore one of the biggest OU threats. i'll have my tea over there.

4) if you want HP Rock, you're gonna have to sacrifice Growth, Earth Power, or Synthesis in one of your slots. so there goes some versatility. not to mention the fact that you'd still need to be defensively spec'd to actually be able to take advantage of HP Rock against Talonflame.

5) and, the actual cherry on top, Sunflora becomes all but useless without sun (hello two turn Solar Beams, hello weak Normal Weather Ball, hello gimped recovery, lolGrowth). better hope no one would be able to stall or switch weather easily.

6) as i said earlier, ZardY can already do the same thing as your Mega Sunflora but without the extra cajoling and support. oh, and it also nukes your Mega Sunflora.

7) Mawile, Beedrill, and Lopunny all gained usage because of their strong abilities. To boot, Beedrill and Lopunny are also blisteringly fast and Mawile has many resistances on top of natural durability enhanced by Intimidate. on top of the latent problems with your Mega Sunflora, it is also dependent on GF giving it Weather Ball (a thinly distributed move to begin with) and GF taking 30 from its attack to give it 130 Mega points to work with.

i'm not wholly opposed to Mega Sunflora, i'm just opposed to your Mega Sunflora because, to not beat around the bush, it's bad and redundant.

Last edited:
Yes, more arguing about something which doesn't even exist!

1) you're right, i'm wrong. you would be able to use a Mega Sunflora over a Sunflora. you wouldn't be a laughingstock. would it be viable or actually useable? no.

-sigh- I guarantee you it would be viable. How about providing a decent counter argument other than: it loses to a super effective hit and it needs a Trick Room team (which it DOESN'T!).

2) yes. you don't need the entire team to take advantage of Trick Room or Drought, but you definitely don't want teammates that are hindered by it.

I already explained this, but seems I didn't make it clear:

1) Trick Room teams are devoted to Trick Room strategy anyway, so teammates wouldn't (or shouldn't) be hindered by it if you're doing it right
2) It wouldn't even NEED Trick Room to be usable, I said it as an option if being slow is such a massive deal (which apparently it is, but apparently Trick Room is just as much a problem so hey what can you do)
3) Plenty of teams use Charizard Y that aren't devoted Drought teams and do just fine (and even "devoted" Drought just tends to be Charizard + Venusaur anyway and that only exists in VGC, Drought teams based around Mega Charizard Y don't really exist in singles at all)

3) even if HP Rock can take out Talonflame (but what doesn't kill Talonflame with super-effective damage?)

This is pretty ironic, considering your argument against Sunflora was just "look! A super effective Flying-type move can kill it!"

you have to be defensively spec'd to survive. not to mention there's a slurry of other Pokemon that can also easily kill your defensively spec'd (which i doubt anyone would actually use) Sunflora beyond Talonflame. but hey, ignore one of the biggest OU threats. i'll have my tea over there.

Please tell me why wouldn't a defensive set be possible?

With a max/max defensive set it could counter: Mega Metagross, Mega Altaria, non-Specs Keldeo, Clefable (though Calm Mind sucks), Weavile, Azumarill, Bisharp, Mega Gardevoir, Hippowdon, Raikou, Rotom-W, Mega Scizor, Slowbro, Starmie, Magnezone, Sylveon, Mega Gyarados, Mega Sableye etc. And like I said before, it would even be able to carry healing and heal itself back after taking these Pokemon on, something which some other slow Megas can't do.

The fact you're arrogantly acting like you 100% know every possible way how people would use it and are willing to shut down and not entertain the idea of other strategies/possibilities around it is pretty funny. In reality it's just another case of you putting your fingers in ears and refusing to listen because it refuted a point you made. I could understand this attitude if I was suggesting something extremely broken, but that's not the case.

4) if you want HP Rock, you're gonna have to sacrifice Growth, Earth Power, or Synthesis in one of your slots. so there goes some versatility..

Did you notice the part where I said "cherry-picked" meaning it's not reflective of an actual situation? HP Rock would be usable for catching them, but other options seem more appealing in theory.

And I'm not quite sure how to get this across to you: Pokemon is a team game and a game of strategy. You use sets that fit your team and whatever set you do choose to use on a Pokemon your other team members will change depending on it. It's how the game works. Every Pokemon doesn't have just one set with the same four moves and you throw it on a team and call it a day. Obviously the easier something is to throw on a team the more use it sees, but that doesn't mean anything that you have to make choices around is bad.

And having to use one move over another is nothing new. It's been there since Gen I. "You have to give up a move to use this other move" is blatantly obvious to any Pokemon that has more than four moves it wants to use.

5) and, the actual cherry on top, Sunflora becomes all but useless without sun (hello two turn Solar Beams, hello weak Normal Weather Ball, hello gimped recovery, lolGrowth). better hope no one would be able to stall or switch weather easily.

And if that's a concern than use Giga Drain to hit the other weather changers (Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Politoed). Or predict the switch and switch to your counter. It's how the game works. The way you want everything given to you on a plate with this and don't want to even take account a strategy in a strategy game is getting boring now. Your whole argument is basically turning out to be "This Pokemon isn't nearly as brainless to use as I want it to be" (and throw in a side of: "it dies to this super effective attack!").

Sorry, you'll have to think when using certain Pokemon!

6) as i said earlier, ZardY can already do the same thing as your Mega Sunflora but without the extra cajoling and support. oh, and it also nukes your Mega Sunflora.

What extra support does this Sunflora need? As I've said multiple times in this post now, Pokemon is a game about team-building, every time you make a team you're going to find ways to patch up the flaws members brings or holes they open. It's weak to Stealth Rock? Well you should probably be using hazard control anyway and most teams do regardless. Talonflame beats it? Well every team needs a Talonflame answer otherwise it will sweep you. It's slow? Well you don't HAVE to, but you could bring speed control if it bothers you that much (T-wave, Trick Room, whatever). Not that being slow is the end of the world anyway.

And dude, for the millionth time, just because a Pokemon loses to another doesn't make it instant trash. And yes, you ignore that Charizard Y nukes loads of stuff when saying it nukes Sunflora - do you want me to repeat the part I did with Talonflame, but instead list everything Charizard Y beats? So can you stop with that asinine point already.

7) Mawile, Beedrill, and Lopunny all gained usage because of their strong abilities. To boot, Beedrill and Lopunny are also blisteringly fast and Mawile has many resistances on top of natural durability enhanced by Intimidate. on top of the latent problems with your Mega Sunflora, it is also dependent on GF giving it Weather Ball (a thinly distributed move to begin with) and GF taking 30 from its attack to give it 130 Mega points to work with.

Yeah and if the idea is so bad and so dependent (which I am aware of) on Game Freak making those choices why are you giving it so much attention as you are? It makes your increased negativity and unwillingness to entertain any outside-thinking towards it all the more mind-numbing tbh.

I already said it wouldn't be taking the metagame by storm in one of my previous posts, so don't preach to the choir here. (My point is that it would make Sunflora usable, which you said it wouldn't, not that it would be S Rank, #1 usage in OU lol)

i'm not wholly opposed to Mega Sunflora, i'm just opposed to your Mega Sunflora because, to not beat around the bush, it's bad and redundant.

Funny, cos your original point was that Sunflora couldn't and wouldn't be saved by a Mega. Now an idea that would make Sunflora usable is provided, you've suddenly changed your tune that this idea particular wouldn't save Sunflora. Again, it's whatever is said you're just going to move the goalposts to keep convincing yourself. Keep at it buddy.

And here's a thing. If you're going to reply (again) do me a favour and don't: mention it needing Trick Room, mention it needing support, mention it losing to a specific Pokemon, mention anything regarding it needing to drop moves. Because I already addressed every one of those in this post and my previous post (some numerous times) and I'm not going to repeat them for a third or more time because you don't want to understand.

- what secondary mega for Venusaur :
grass/rock? (4 weaknesses 2x, good againt fire/flying, weak to steel)
grass/dark? (6 weaknesses : bug 4x and five 2x, 1 immunity: Psychic )
grass/ghost? (5 weknesses, 2 immunities)

- secondary mega Blastoise water/steel (the canons vanish and transform the shell, weak to: electric, ground, fight)
What abilities? or totally new ones?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom