• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Randomly Witnessed Glitches (By Personal Experience)

Have you ever randomly encountered a glitch playing a Pokemon game?

• Total voters
I was playing a pokemon silver i borrowed from a friend and had gotten all the way up to red and saved at the cave right before i fought him. I didn't get to touch the game for like a week but when i picked it up it instantly went to "New Game". There was no longer a saved file on the game no matter how much i blew, shook, or restarted. It was gone....

One time I was playing Gold and the screen started acting all glitchy. Then it reset itself and as soon as I hit "continue" the game read "You are the most badass person on this earth. You are capable of taking over the earth". HA

I doubt GF would program into that into a game. There's a reason why there aren't really any glitches involving words, they're mostly sprites or something. Is there some sort of picture of this happening?

A few weeks ago I was playing Black and I was in the Nacrene City Café. I go to the door, and just before I walked through I accidentally pressed A. And then it said "It's a shelf full of vibrant Pokémon goods" like in a Pokémart.

My friend ran her DS through the washing machine and then Pearl stopped working and reset. I don't know much more than that, but she got it working again and had her old save file back (with the exact same Pokémon) including a new streak on the Battle Frontier.

My other friend has a bunch of dumb hacks (like one where you start with a level 40 Moltres) and usually the music glitches up. And I swear, the glitches sound like the background music from Inside the Fire. Probably not intentional, but ever since I've tried writing songs to the glitched Lilycove city music. And it actually doesn't sound that bad.

Last edited:
When I was about 7, my Farfetch'd evolved. I don't remember into what, but it was around level 20.

In fact, the only reason I knew it didn't evolve was because me and my friend got into an argument, which I lost.

To kick it off, here's my story:

This glitch didn't happen to me personally, but I was a witness. It happened a while ago, when my friend/roommate was playing his Platinum. He was on route 201 and randomly encountered a wild Pokemon in the grass.

The only thing unusual about this is that the wild Pokemon was a Chikorita.

It was encountered without any sort of hack or cheat, just like any normal wild Pokemon. No AR, just a normal Platinum version purchased from Wal-Mart on your average Nintendo DS.

I took this picture straight from his DS screen with my Digital Camera. As you can see, he's since evolved it into a Meganium, and it's produced several perfectly normal Chikoritas when bred with his ditto.

It's done no harm to his game whatsoever. It runs absolutely normally, and he can use the Meganium in battle just like any other Pokemon. The only quirk is that it shows up as a Bad Egg on PBR, which is probably because the game knows Chikorita can't be found on route 201.

It always makes me wonder, how is this possible?

That is very strange that happened in game without cheating. If it's true the annoying thing about it is that PBR denies it even though your friend caught the thing legitimately.

He should have exchanged the game for a another one at the time, which is what I would do if that happened to me lol.

The only glitches that I have encountered were the Missingo one in Yellow and accidentally cloning a Pokemon with the cloning glitch on Pokemon Gold.

Usually people have experienced glitches in future generations because they have used some form of external cheating device.

So because I have never used such a device I haven't experienced any in game glitches since Gen 3 up to now.

I doubt GF would program into that into a game. There's a reason why there aren't really any glitches involving words, they're mostly sprites or something. Is there some sort of picture of this happening?

A few weeks ago I was playing Black and I was in the Nacrene City Café. I go to the door, and just before I walked through I accidentally pressed A. And then it said "It's a shelf full of vibrant Pokémon goods" like in a Pokémart.

My friend ran her DS through the washing machine and then Pearl stopped working and reset. I don't know much more than that, but she got it working again and had her old save file back (with the exact same Pokémon) including a new streak on the Battle Frontier.

My other friend has a bunch of dumb hacks (like one where you start with a level 40 Moltres) and usually the music glitches up. And I swear, the glitches sound like the background music from Inside the Fire. Probably not intentional, but ever since I've tried writing songs to the glitched Lilycove city music. And it actually doesn't sound that bad.

You would not believe the kinds of glitches I dig up in the code of Pokémon Red/Blue with a GameShark. But, as far as legitimate glitches go, I'll tell you:
AlexTheRose (not in any post on Bulbagarden) said:
My sister restarted her game on (I think) Sapphire version, and she accidentally pressed some combinations of buttons, and when she went to battle her rival on Route 103, he was female like her. Weird.

In White I was making more boxes and in the last box there was a shiny Lv.0 Bulbasaur. There was no AR or anything. I released it and every was ok.

I remember once in Yellow I was walking around in Pokemon Tower and for some reason Pikachu was walking around erratically like it was drunk or something. like it would move to tiles that weren't behind me at all, sometimes two or three tiles over from where it was supposed to be, and through gravestones. It only happened once, and I was like WHAT DID I DO OH GOD D:

I gave a Pokémon in the PC an item, switched boxes, then realised that I gave it the wrong ome, switched back, and the Pokémon wasn't there anymore. o_O

I could still click on the empty spot, though, and everything was fine. It was just the little sprite that was missing.

I was playing a pokemon silver i borrowed from a friend and had gotten all the way up to red and saved at the cave right before i fought him. I didn't get to touch the game for like a week but when i picked it up it instantly went to "New Game". There was no longer a saved file on the game no matter how much i blew, shook, or restarted. It was gone....

That would be because the internal battery ran out. It happened to my Yellow too.

I did the Missingno glitch the other day on Red cause I was bored. Its not random, but still...

That would be because the internal battery ran out. It happened to my Yellow too.

I did the Missingno glitch the other day on Red cause I was bored. Its not random, but still...

That's why the old games should be put on the 3DS virtual console

In my Pearl game, I didn't know the game would glitch if you went back and forth really fast on your bike, so I did that because I had eggs to hatch....long story short, It glitched up and I went though the daycare...my game crashed...yay. :mallet:

In my Yellow game, I put a Pikachu (Female) and a Pidgey (Female) in the Daycare (The DayCare really hates me) Yeah....I got a Lv0 Pidgey and It hasn't glitched up yet (thankfully), I just leave it be.... :scared:

I was in Lost Tower battling Misdreavus and Murkrow in a trainer battle (Young Couple Mike & Nat). Suddenly a rainfall appeared which dealt damage to both mine and trainer's Pokemon. I don't remember very much about this glitch because it happened a long time ago.

I was in Lost Tower battling Misdreavus and Murkrow in a trainer battle (Young Couple Mike & Nat). Suddenly a rainfall appeared which dealt damage to both mine and trainer's Pokemon. I don't remember very much about this glitch because it happened a long time ago.

Sounds like the Acid Rain glitch.

Yeah, painful weather effects that aren't Sandstorm and Hail are in part of even the whole of Acid Rain, a famous glitch.

My only glitch encounter, which occurred both on my brother's Sapphire and my Emerald, was the Thunderbolt glitch. If you used a different move, or changed the route background music, it got fixed. But for the longest time I wondered why the hell it kept doing that. And then Bulbapedia solved that problem for me. But still, rather interesting. Also, I've had it where that Aroma Lady on the second tier of the route directly east of Mauville City (in Emerald), before surfing the water to head towards Fortree, comes up the ledge at me to battle. Strange, but true. My Emerald game is funny.

pokemon white: trading over wi-fi, then I hear this faint voice coming from the speakers. I put up the sound, and I could make out that the sound was a man saying "HELP ME HELP ME". every time I traded (it was around three pokemon) I heard that voice. then it happened again. can't tell any more though cause I restarted my save file.

I still distinctly recall having something or other (shows how distinctly I really do recall the experience) dropped on my DS while I was playing Emerald in it.

I was on route 101 (I think? Whatever the route you battle May on was...) after battling May. All of a sudden, I was inside the middle of a bunch of trees, invisible, with a dark circle around me (like in dark caves), on route 121. Was odd.

pokemon white: trading over wi-fi, then I hear this faint voice coming from the speakers. I put up the sound, and I could make out that the sound was a man saying "HELP ME HELP ME". every time I traded (it was around three pokemon) I heard that voice. then it happened again. can't tell any more though cause I restarted my save file.

Are you sure that wasn't just the other person speaking through the voice chat?

Are you sure that wasn't just the other person speaking through the voice chat?

I don't know about that. it wasn't clear. but it happened when I traded with the next person. I haven't wi-fi traded since then so I don't know anymore

That sounds a lot like voice chat was on, and the other person was doing that for shits and giggles. ^^;;

But, My Pokemon Emerald, I bought it from a game store, as it was used. However, I can't play the game for long periods of time before it deletes the save data, and I have to start all over again, from the beginning. I hate this glitch. ._.;

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom