• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reality in Pokémon and attack types

Kthleen

Reaction score
In the games, it would have been hard to fit three or more types onto a Pokémon, so they didn't. Instead, they later came up with "abilities" that fixed the problem... to an extent.
It's already been estalished that many of the attacks Pokémon use are just plain magical. How does a 5'3" tortoise spew an olympic swimming pool's worth of water every minute seemingly from nowhere, how do these electric and fire sacs work, how does a cat punch and make weird elements and objects come out of their paws, etc. Such questions can be "answered" by saying that some Pokémon and attacks are just supernatural. However, which attacks can only be natural? How would Pokémon be different in order to fit the real world? What about their typing?

In reality, some Pokémon would have different types. Some could have more than two types (Beedrill and Flygon would be part Flying, Charizard and Gyarados could have Dragon added to them), and some could lose or gain different types (would the Flyers and Girafarig really be part Normal? Should the Gastly line be part Poison any more than they should be part Dark? Why should Cubone, Marowak, and their bone attacks be considered Ground types? Gyarados can't fly... but Dragonair can...).

Bulbasaur can throw leaves from nowhere (or perhaps its back pocket?). Pikachu can call up electric storms. Diglett could spew sludge that it probably doesn't normally have. However, it's unlikely, from what I remember, that an Onix could throw rocks it doesn't have, a Ninjask could use Sand Attack in the middle of the ocean, and that Totodile could pull Surf in the middle of a dry woods. Where's this going? I don't know, I just found it interesting. But one thing I wonder is if some attacks would be reclassified. Megahorn just seems to be throwing the opponent with one's horn. Could that really be called a "Bug" attack, and would it really be strong against Psychics? Same question applies to Fury Cutter. Mirror Move seems like a short-term Mimic. Only bird Pokémon can use it, but it really has nothing to do with flying. Though I understand the origin, Grass-type attacks don't seem like they would actually harm Rock-types any more than they would the other types. What types would change and how? How would attacks change?

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom