• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
Alola Persion looks good to me. All the Alola forms looks amazing. Of course Alolan Exeggutor is my favorite.

Re: selective breeding - even though Alolan Meowth/Persian were originally the result of selective breeding by humans, keep in mind that they've supposedly gone feral and prospered in the wild. Any health defects or bodily disproportionalities that would seriously impede their ability to survive in the wild would have been quickly booted from the gene pool.
You don't know what feral cat colonies look like, do you?
Health defects that don't impede the ability to survive long enough to procreate still get passed down. You will find squash-faced cats in 5th or so generation feral colony cats if such a cat was ever a part of the group.

Last edited:
Okay, then I'll concede. But the majority of feral cats I've seen have been tabby.
Ok. That's true, but "tabby" is a phenotypic marking pattern, not a breed. They're a wild type among many domestic breeds and mixed breed cats because of allele dominance - not because it's useful to survival. There are exotic shorthair cats with tabby-patterned fur.

My surprise holds. Breeds like pugs, bulldogs, and, persians, and exotic shorthairs look identically "stupid" and have serious congenital health defects to boot, and yet a huge percentage of people love their stupid, fucked-up faces. Make a Pokemon or two to represent them, and a huge percentage of fans just tirade over it.

EDIT: Also stupid is an opinion with a subjective set of criteria. Personally, having a solid basis and explanation outright precludes a design from being stupid. But that's just me.
"Stupid" is an opinion, but we're talking about designs here, so pretty much every comment would be an opinion. I don't like Alolan Persian, but some people do and that's fine. In my opinion, good concept does not equal good design. To use a non-Pokemon example, Kamen Rider Ex-Aid:
latest

I understand the videogame theme & the choices behind the suit design, but that doesn't make the metal hair on his helmet less weird or the bright pink & neon green color scheme any less off-putting.

Alolan Exeggutor looks "stupid" too, but I feel like they did a better job with his design, so I don't dislike him the way I do Alolan Persian or Alolan Dugtrio's line.

Alolan Exeggutor looks "stupid" too, but I feel like they did a better job with his design, so I don't dislike him the way I do Alolan Persian or Alolan Dugtrio's line.
To be fair, Exeggutor always was derp, so Alolan Exeggutor is just derp in a different form. XD And it's so humorously tall, it's almost hard to hate it... at least, I can't see hating it any more than one would already hate normal Exeggutor. It's hardly a candidate for anyone's favorite pokemon to begin with.

I'm aware that tabby isn't a breed, and I certainly never referred to it as such. To be honest, my original point had nothing to do with tabby coats being useful for survival, just that I couldn't see Alolan Persian being so successful in the wild if they had been selectively bred to the point where they were impeded by health defects or severe physical deformities. The wild populations would have to have strengthened over time. Maybe they'd still retain elements of the selective breeding, but they wouldn't be as impeding to them. I don't think there's anything terribly controversial about that.
Setting aside that maybe that's what we see with Alolan Persian...
Even severe defects don't necessarily get bred out. You have to account for generations upon generations of just the right mutations along with selective breeding and the Alolan nobility is implied to have fallen in relatively recent Pokehistory. Also, if defects don't impede an organism so much that it cannot survive long enough to procreate (as it is with the equivalent real world cats), then those defects stay in the gene pool.

Nope, impossible. The final evos were leaked 4 months ago and GF said that it takes them 6 months to 1 year to finalise the design process of a Pokemon. Not to mention Gen VII merchandising and the SM anime were already well into the works.
Thanks I was positive it wasn't possible to change them actually got into an argument with that guy just kept on saying they have time to change them, I tried to give reasons why they couldn't do that but he just kept on arguing with me talk about being really salty

I swear, Alolan Persian is such a slow-burner for me. I didn't hate it right off the bat, but it took me a while to warm up to the leaked model sprite. I didn't love the official art that came out this morning... but now it's starting to improve. :p

I just don't understand why some people just hate certain mon design, I never do. If it's derpy, I'll just laugh. If it's weird, then it's weird. I only hate mon if they are useless like Luvdisc and Delcatty.

I just don't understand why some people just hate certain mon design, I never do. If it's derpy, I'll just laugh. If it's weird, then it's weird. I only hate mon if they are useless like Luvdisc and Delcatty.
I think it's more disappointment than truly hate but I get what you're saying.

I think it's more disappointment than truly hate but I get what you're saying.
I agree, I think it's more disappointment Alolan persian not a fan but I don't hate it,I was more disappointed with pikipek wish it would have remained a woodpecker throughout its evolution but I don't hate the toucan Pokemon actually it's a pretty good design but just feels more like a stand-alone Pokemon not an evolution so it's a bit of a letdown for me but hey you can't get everything you want

They revealed Alolan Persian officially on the front cover of the upcoming Alolan Pokédex guide

alolanpersian.jpg

Huh. I saw this art before but didn't know it was official. I think it actually makes it look a bit better!

Augh Gamefreak, nooooo. Don't introduce a concept and quickly abandon it, that is the worst idea ever! If they introduced more Mega Evolutions alongside Z-moves, we could have gotten even more ways to use some of our favorite pokemon! Shafting megas is a terrible move, and I hope they bring them back relatively soon because there is nothing I hate more than the idea of a blip concept/generational gimmick.

Alternatively, not everyone is going to like absolutely everything because not everything is appealing to everyone. Personally, I'm the kind of person who can be swayed if a concept is truly creatively clever- like I'm kinda swayed on Dugtrio because Pele hair is a pretty clever thing to do. But if you reuse a concept- such as magnetized iron filing hair on a pokemon- I'm not so swayed by first impressions. And basing Persian off a specific breed of cat isn't particularly creative or clever and thus does it absolutely no favors for me in saving it from the first impression of "Holyshit what did they do to Persian's face."

Although I do think that if they had fattened Alolan Persian up in general, it probably would have been more popular overall. Like this fanart here is quite a bit more endearing- http://www.deviantart.com/art/Alolan-Persian-641126724

Awww! That's adorable. See this is what they should have went with I love this cat.

Either z-moves or the secret was probably just scrapped (kinda hoping for z-moves)

Same. I mean god I at least want something. Gdi Corocoro you liars. Why you always lying like liars you liars?

No. It's way to late too change them now. Sorry, but that gut is just going to have to deal.

By god that poor stomach can't take it!

I think the problem with Purugly is right in the name. XD It wasn't meant to be a cute and loveable fatty cat.

Oh but it is though <3

Alolan Persian isn't fat though. It just has a wide, flat face like certain designer breeds do. Alolan Meowth and Persian are designer bred Pokemon after all.

I'm actually somewhat surprised to see the disproportionate distaste of Alolan Persian compared to its equivalent. In real life these cats and dogs are fiercely beloved by a huge subset of people.

Oh so is that what it is? :eek:

Persian is an ugly mutant created through selective breeding.

Flat faced cats are ugly mutants created through selective breeding.

I don't see the problem here. If it is based on things like real Persians it's doing a good job being a caricature of an actual thing that shouldn't be.

Oh come on now those cats aren't ugly. That's just mean. They are mutants though.

Wow. o_O Ok that's interesting I never would have guessed. Bet he was happy about Alola Exeggcutor!

Persian Cats, have flat faces due to selective Breeding.
Persian the Pokemon in its normal form has a, I don't know the term for this but it has a muzzle where the nose is on the end of.
Alolan Persian's muzzle was squished in due to breeding, so its FACE should be flat. Like Persians in REAL life are.

Probably one of the things they'll reveal on the 27th are Alolan Persian and Diglett lines, plus a few other Pokemon and possibly UB's, but if it does happen then we'll learn the lore behind Alolan Persian as to why it's face is chubbier than it's body

Probably one of the things they'll reveal on the 27th are Alolan Persian and Diglett lines, plus a few other Pokemon and possibly UB's, but if it does happen then we'll learn the lore behind Alolan Persian as to why it's face is chubbier than it's body
You know what's funny? Persian actually looks like something that would be in Gen 1. If this form was Persians design in Gen 1, I bet people would have loved it just as much as regular Persian.

Back
Top Bottom