• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S05 EP44: Better Eight Than Never

Sweet Veil

Bright Days
Reaction score
After calming the raging Dragonite of the Dragon Holy Land, Ash is finally able to face off against Clair for his eighth Gym Badge. Clair starts off strong with her Kingdra she used previously, but Ash surprisingly calls upon an old friend to help deal with Clair's ferocious Dragon-type Pokemon.
<br>
<br>

I got bored and decided to watch and older gym battle episode. I really liked how Kingdra's first appearance built it up as a very powerful threat to be reckoned with and the fact Electric-type moves don't hurt Dragons that badly being brought up was a nice treat. This is the same Pokemon that really gave Noctowl and Pikachu a run for their money and again, I liked seeing Noctowl being used since Ash never had a Psychic-type and Noctowl was always in my opinion a very unique Bird of Ash's and the closest thing he had to a Psychic-type. This same Pokemon being dealt with by Ash's Snorlax really is cool. Given how Pikachu was getting his ass kicked and Noctowl was being beaten, I'm not sure if any of Ash's Pokemon could have handled it except maybe Totodile since it beat a Kingdra in the Whirlcup. Cyndaquil can't, Noctowl can't, Pikachu can't, Bayleef, maybe imo, Totodile maybe, and Phanpy of course not. Seeing Snorlax again was great and I liked Ash's strategy with using Snorlax's insane girth to absorb those attacks and tire Kingdra out. <br>
<br>
<em>Brock:My guess is Ash thinks his regular team wouldn't cut it going up against a Dragon Pokemon.</em><br>
<br>
Dragon Pokemon are made out to be such beast it's ridiculous, I don't see why Bayleef or maybe Totodile couldn't cut it but oh well. <br>
<br>
Also really loving this older dialogue, 4kids dialogue is less awkward and more realistic than TPCi's for some reason. Though that may be due to the kids sounding more like kids and not making bland idioms like "Batting an eye lash." every episode, or perhaps the lack of hearing food references and puns daily. Really liked Snorlax's Ice Punch since it at least shows some progression at Oak's lab. Not surprised Snorlax was curbstomped by that ferocious Gyarados due to Dragon Breath's Paralysis effect. The overuse of Hyper Beam this episode got on my nerves, Snorlax, Dragonair, Gyarados, and Kingdra? Why? Really like how Quick Attack seemed useful in causing significant damage since its power seemed to have downed over the years. I like how Bite attacks involved Gyarados' whole damn face plowing into the ground. Makes a somewhat generic move somewhat unique. <br>
<br>
Really like the tense music that played during the scene with Pikachu zapping Gyarados. Running on Hydro Pump with Agility was a smart move. Charizard evaporating the water against Dragonair to take away the advantage of the water and making it an aerial battle was great. Safeguard being made out to be Protect got on my nerves. I enjoyed the Dragon Rage-engulfed-by-Firespin-Seismic toss. It was a great move by Charizard and Ash and the fact Charizard learned Firespin showed its improvement at the Charicific Valley. Not a bad gym by any means, my favorite match was perhaps Pikachu VS. Gyarados because of the music and the more agile battling. <br>
<br>
Lastly, I liked the interactions between Liza, Clair, and Ash. It was pretty cool to know Liza and Clair are friends since they both work with draconic Pokemon and dress similar and I already find Liza to be a good enough COTD. So fun episode for the most part.

Last edited:
I didn't like how they brought up ice being good against dragon when he attacked Kingdra but not water being resistant to it. Just once I'd like them to explain that a resistance and weakness counter each other out.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom