• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP26: Scare at the Litwick Mansion!

Cilan: But your with Team Rocket!

This episode was pretty funny, I think it would be better to feature Chandelure as well in this episode but oh well. I'm still not use to Yamask's english voice yet though.

Yeah, its kind of weird that James didn't give him a response when Cilan said that but I guess what Jessie said about them working together for the moment covers it. Yeah, the episode reminded me of the Kanto episode "The Tower of Terror." Where it featured all 3 ghosts from the Gastly family.

It would have been cool to see the Litwick leading the kids around and then Lamperent sort of took over to lead the group and while they are at the Ghost World area Chandelure could have made its debut.

It was very nerdy.

Yeah, the original version's scream from that moment made me cry laughing! This one was ok, but I did laugh though.

Ok, as for what I think of the episode;

It was pretty good one of those kind of episodes like Ditto's Mysterious Mansion when the gang go into a mansion to get out of the rain. TR was awesome!!! Loved the effects of their life energy being sucked from them and it showing in their obvious lack of energy.

Iris calling Ash a kid for walking on his hands (he said he'd do it if it really rained like she said)...yeah it was a little childish but give the guy some credit girl at least he's a man that keeps his word!

Don't get me started on TR's motto that was funny, scary because of what the Litwick were doing and shows how dedicated they were to their motto. I was thinking the whole time, "You know you don't have a lot of life energy left but still do what you do to make your presence to your enemies known.

I would have loved to hear another scream from Cilan when Jessie bust through the wall xD

Wow, Iris didn't do too much during that final battle scene when they were about to go to the Ghost World, but really what could she have done? Axew using Dragon Sneeze while the ghost used Protect only for them and TR to get blasted into the Ghost World? Excadrill doesn't listen to her but Emolga would have been interesting to see battle because it is a flying squirrel and I would have loved to see it flying against those rough winds.

Was it just me or did the statue that chased Ash and them around slightly just slightly look like Giovanni?

I'm not mad that Ash or anyone caught one of those Pokemon because I wouldn't want a life sucking candle around me, but I guess like a Ponyta's flames it wouldn't hurt a trainer that it trusts.

Ash when he was like "So, you're the one that has been doing all of this?!" to the Litwick was just awful due to his voice...

I thought throughout the whole episode; "How many innocent people and Pokemon have these killer ghost lead to the Ghost World? I was freaking out the whole time because at first I thought that this was a nice mansion so they probably lead the owners to their doom" and then took over from there to anyone that was unfortunate enough to come in but then when was shown to be a worn down place I felt slightly better...

Flying off in their jet packs, you go TR!!!

I was kinda worried at the beginning of this episode, what with the stereotypical "go into spooky house to get out of rain, door opens for them and closes behind them" thing, and I thought this episode was going to be just so-so. It didn't seem like it would be scary at all. But I was wrong. The writers gradually began to switch between childish spooks to a very real threat by careful use of subtle things meant to slightly put the viewer at unease. Then they reached the climax, where Ash and friends (and enemies) were in very real danger against a disturbingly cute batch of enemies. This episode was actually very suspenseful, contrary to what it seems like at the beginning. I give this episode a 9/10. It is now my new favorite Black and white episode.

I don't really think she could do much....
Excadrill won't obey her, Axew can't attack because of Scratch having no effect on neither Litwick or Lampent, and Emolga, yeah.
I dunno, I don't see why Emolga wouldn't have been able to do anything--no worse than Cilan or Team Rocket anyway. Iris could have at least tried.

Last edited:
Now they're literally blasting off again. XD It's too bad the dub didn't add that in.

I know that would have made it so much better but when it comes to the dub you get what they give you I guess...

Whenever someone said "Ghost World", I was always waiting for someone to say Ghost Zone (a homage to Danny Phantom lol).

Wow, Jessie...didn't see say something different in the original version when she bursts through the wall with that "Thriller zombie-look"on her face?

Now they're literally blasting off again. XD It's too bad the dub didn't add that in.

Ya know, that and Meron's post makes me wonder, is the dub being too literal now? I mean, I enjoy smooth translations, but....I don't mind them changing a few of the jokes that don't translate well.

And Litwick are creepy as hell being that evil and adorable at the same time. It just dawn on me, by warning Team Rocket, Dr. Zager might have saved Ash his friends lives as well. Ironic.

Maybe it's because I knew what to expect for its voice this time, or because it got more screentime, but for some reason, Yamask's voice actually sounded cuter to me in this episode than when it first joined Team Rocket.

Also, Team Rocket was actually kinda fun, which is part of why I like the episode so much. Especially when they did the motto, and then they were barely standing, and Yamask was just going ":)", and before that when Jessie stuck her face through the hole in the door. XD

The writer of this episode must really hate Cilan:
- The character nearly gets killed by a coffee table rushing towards him at 15 mph.
- The character was screaming like a frightened little girl for all of TRio's security cameras to see.
- Cilan's "dance partner" (the dress that was being controlled by Litwick's Psychic) threw him across the ballroom. Cilan was also screaming like a little girl in this scene.
- Cilan gets injured by a Shadow Ball attack and nearly falls into oblivion.

I mean, all of the other main characters had suffered a great deal of abuse and shame during this episode as well, but it felt like the writer had it in for Cilan especially. Ash and Iris were also forced to dance with an article of clothing, but they didn't get tossed in the middle of the ballroom like Cilan did.

Ya know, that and Meron's post makes me wonder, is the dub being too literal now? I mean, I enjoy smooth translations, but....I don't mind them changing a few of the jokes that don't translate well.

I remember back in DP when many people were complaining that TRio's dialogue in the dub was too out of line and ridiculous, and had been wishing that their script was more consistent with the Japanese version. Now the dub is providing a more literal translation of TRio's dialogue, especially during the scene when Jessie had discovered the twerps, and the fans were wishing that the writers provided them a pun or two?

Not really surprising that Iris didn't help out in the battle. Axew would only have been able to use the ineffective Scratch or the imperfected Dragon Rage, Excadrill wouldn't have obeyed, and Emolga would have just caught the next Volt Switch back to its Poké Ball.

Excellent episode, though.

With a mustache.

Hm... this episode was good, but bothered me a little:

Pros
- Good animation
- Spooky mansion
- Team Rocket being a little loosened up
- Litwick and Lampent

Cons
- I really would've liked to see stuff being more realistic. Like seeing apparitions, orbs or shadows on the wall and such. But, of course, this is Pokémon.
- Not really the scariest episode I've ever seen. Ghoul Daze! was the scariest.
- Cilan's scream
- I really would've liked to see the Spirit World.
- Lampent really just appears out of nowhere.

Overall, I give this episode 8.75 points out of 10. This episode could've been better, but at the same time it could've been a lot worse.

One of the only things I disliked about the dub was the change between "Spirit World" and "Ghost World" (I think that was a change) I mean if it was merely to get rid of a possible religious reference, I would've been fine with it, however when the English Pokedex entries of both Lampent and Chandelure mention "Spirits" it kind of feels like they insulted my intelligence by calling it the "Ghost World." I didn't feel very comfortable how they referred it to the "Ghost World." I mean I guess since Ghost Pokemon were involved, I suppose I can see why it might've been the "Ghost World." But it really seemed like they dumbed it down to make it more kid friendly.

Although its possible since this episode is already pretty creepy "scary", I guess they wanted to alleviate some of the darker tones in it. Still doesn't mean I have to like it being called the "Ghost World."

I remember back in DP when many people were complaining that TRio's dialogue in the dub was too out of line and ridiculous, and had been wishing that their script was more consistent with the Japanese version. Now the dub is providing a more literal translation of TRio's dialogue, especially during the scene when Jessie had discovered the twerps, and the fans were wishing that the writers provided them a pun or two?

I think people mostly wanted a middle ground where Jessie, James and Meowth's dub dialogue stuck to the original JPN dialogue more but also makes them funny with witty lines and jokes that couldn't be translated well from the original. That said, I woud've loved TPCi to add "We're Blasting Off Again" to the TRio's jetpack scene at the end.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind Ash and co.'s dialogue being changed for the dub. Nothing drastic to the point that things don't make sense but at least TPCi can make us like the characters with some good dialogue since the original dialogue and their own dub dialogue (being practically the same) are annoyingly bland.

oh my instead of saying that litwick would kill them they say it will suck our life power what a childish cartoon

The Tower of Terror was much funnier

anyway the animation was good but still the episode is not THAT good.

One of the only things I disliked about the dub was the change between "Spirit World" and "Ghost World" (I think that was a change) I mean if it was merely to get rid of a possible religious reference, I would've been fine with it, however when the English Pokedex entries of both Lampent and Chandelure mention "Spirits" it kind of feels like they insulted my intelligence by calling it the "Ghost World." I didn't feel very comfortable how they referred it to the "Ghost World." I mean I guess since Ghost Pokemon were involved, I suppose I can see why it might've been the "Ghost World." But it really seemed like they dumbed it down to make it more kid friendly.

Although its possible since this episode is already pretty creepy "scary", I guess they wanted to alleviate some of the darker tones in it. Still doesn't mean I have to like it being called the "Ghost World."

the episode was not "scary" at all !!!

Last edited:
The Tower of Terror was much funnier

the episode was not "scary" at all !!!

I don't think this episode was intended to be funny maybe Cilan's scream, yes. And some people find this episode scary, you know people are entitled to their own opinions :/.

As episodes that focus on haunted mansions, darkness and ghostes are my favorites ones (AFTER episodes with my beloved Cynthia because nothing can be compared to her, of course!), it goes without saying that I liked this one as well.

In the old Kanto and Johto days, "scary" epsiodes used to be solved by having somebody appear who explains that a Ghost-type Pokemon which is feeling lonely, for example, was responsible for all the supernatural occurences. This usually turned episodes that were supposed to be scary into stories that weren't scary at all in the end.
But ghost-centered episodes in Sinnoh, especially "Ghoul Daze", and the recent ones are are whole new ball game, and man am I grateful for this development!
Now there actually is something scary, mysterious and I also dare say something evil about the new ghost-episodes, something I really like! And you know what's best? It makes those episode mature. Now where are the guys who keep saying that Pokemon is just a children's show? :p (maybe on vacation...)

There's also another aspect I find highly interesting: Until Ghoul Daze we had always been told that Pokemon don't want to do any harm to anybody and almost every episodes emphasized their innocent hearts. Slowly but surely this is changing though. This was the second episode already to show us that Pokemon can indeed be evil!
Hm, but now we're facing a complicated situation and I'm racking my brains over whether I should like this or not. On the one hand, I cherish the Pokemon anime as a way of escaping from this world full of injustice and sorrows by presenting an almost paradise-like world where dreams can come true and everthing seems much better. Evil Pokemon don't fit in here quite well. But on the other hand, evil Pokemon make the whole series that much more mature and interesting. Man, that's complicated to decide for sure and I guess I have yet to make up my mind.

Also, there's a last aspect I'd like to talk about: Do you think that the "Ghost World" And the "Spirit World " (that's what it was called in Ghoul Daze) are the same? I'm tempted to say yes because the resemblance is striking. But why the name change then?

In short, this was probably the best B/W episode besides "The Lost World of Gothitelle" (another ghost-episde, what a coincidence ;) )

I'm surprised that nobody found it slightly creepy that Dr. Zager wanted to research the Litwick essentially killing people.

'Twas basically a combination of every single previous ghost pokemon episode in the series. I wonder if this is the same spirit world we were introduced to back in DP?

When watching the ep a second time, I realized that unfortunately there was a continuity mistake once again.
In this ep Lampent was as bad as can be but only a few episodes ago in "Venipede stampede", we saw Trip's Lampent help fight against the Venipede. Back then you would never have thought that these Pokemon actually have such evil intentions. And let's not forget Trip was far from fainting and his life energy was not being drained away either. On the contrary, he looked pretty fired up when meeting Ash. So, either Trip's Lampent is an exception or the writers just weren't careful enough when making this episode

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom