• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Each point in IV directly adds one stat point to a Pokemon. For example, a level 100 Tyranitar with an HP IV of 0 would have 310 HP, if it had an IV of 31 then it would have 341 HP. As -Glory Blaze- explained the difference in IVs can affect a battle, even if it comes down to just one point of difference.

Last edited:
Each point in IV directly adds one stat point to a Pokemon. For example, a level 100 Tyranitar with an HP IV of 0 would have 310 HP, if it had an IV of 31 then it would have 341 HP. As -Glory Blaze- explained the difference in IVs can affect a battle, even if it comes down to just one point of difference.
Thank you guys for the clarification. I may have beaten the E4 but I'm still learning :D

So one thing that wondering is where do things like Technician and Pixillate stand in the damage calculations when you take STAB into account. Does Technician and Pixillate apply their damage boosts after or before STAB?

So one thing that wondering is where do things like Technician and Pixillate stand in the damage calculations when you take STAB into account. Does Technician and Pixillate apply their damage boosts after or before STAB?
Those abilities apply their boosts along with STAB. As the boosts from STAB and those abilities increase damage by a certain percentage their effects are multiplied together when calculating damage.

Attack (without any boosts): 1.0
Attack with STAB: Base Power x 1.5 = 1.5
Attack with Technician: Base Power x 1.5 = 1.5
Attack with Pixillate: Base Power x 1.3 = 1.3
Attack with STAB + Technician: Base Power x 1.5 (STAB) x 1.5 (Technician) = 2.25
Attack with STAB + Pixillate: Base Power x 1.5 (STAB) x 1.3 (Pixillate) = 1.65

As you can see any order you choose to multiply multiple effects you'd still get the same result.

Technician looks at the base power of the move (before STAB) to determine whether the attack boost would apply. There are some special cases to it, such as Pursuit being stronger against a switch or moves with variable power.

I want to capture Mewtwo in X; how do I make it flawless?

Lead with a Pokémon with Synchronize for it's ability and the nature you want, and have an empty spot in your party and a Pokémon with Fly. Then save in front of him. Catch him, check to make sure his Nature is right, and bring him to the IV judge in Kiloude city. If he's not a 5IV or 6IV, restart your game and try again. You're guaranteed at least 3 perfect IVs so it's not as painful as it sounds (but it is still pretty painful xD)

What level is it? I can just use the IV calculator...and Synch passes on IV too?

Synch is just nature, not IVs. IIRC the IV calc gives you a range, not an exact number, unless you're at Level 100 (I could be wrong here, don't quote me). The Mewtwo is Level 70.

I actually would accept a 4 IV Mewtwo, provided that the two imperfect IVs are in the attack you aren't using and one of its defenses. To speed up the process, now would be a great time to use that Master Ball.(Used it already? Win a new one in the LOTO-ID! Don't have that kind of luck? Too bad!)

Simple Question: Is Articuno even remotely viable in OU?

If so, what would its niche be?

Outside of Smogon tiers Articuno's niche appears to be Mind Reader + Sheer Cold. :p

Mind Reader / Sheer Cold like you mentioned. The only problem is Articuno's weakness to common types. 4x to Rock and 2x to Fire, Electric, and Steel.
Sheer Cold is banned under Smogon rules though, isn't it?

Or is that your way of saying Articuno has no niche? :p

Simple Question: Is Articuno even remotely viable in OU?

If so, what would its niche be?

Outside of Smogon tiers Articuno's niche appears to be Mind Reader + Sheer Cold. :p

Mind Reader / Sheer Cold like you mentioned. The only problem is Articuno's weakness to common types. 4x to Rock and 2x to Fire, Electric, and Steel.
Sheer Cold is banned under Smogon rules though, isn't it?

Or is that your way of saying Articuno has no niche? :p

Last resort NU Hail maybe?

Yeah SC is banned. Slap Defog on it and you have a pseudo-niche as a special Defog tank.

So I got another question, do multi hit attacks like arm thrust benefit from STAB per hit? Also, I know each hit can critical but does each hit get affected by defenses individually or as a total?

So I got another question, do multi hit attacks like arm thrust benefit from STAB per hit? Also, I know each hit can critical but does each hit get affected by defenses individually or as a total?

Yes. If a Fighting type used Arm Thrust it would be worth 22 base power each hit. Its original Base Power is 15, then STAB would make it 15(times)1.5, which would be 22.5 however Pokemon formula's always round down.

I don't know if this question goes here, nor if I should even be asking it in the first place, or even if anyone will be able to answer it, but I'm genuinely confused and ANY possible insight will be of assistance.

So, I was on Showdown and I just had this battle: Smogon Doubles replay: ThatsBlocko vs. Haora - Pokémon Showdown.

I'm legitimately confused. The battle was, in my eyes, in my opponent's favor. I do not see any reason he should have ragequit, especially if you look at both teams, just because he lost his Krookodile and/or missed a NVE move. Does it have something to do with his strategy (as I'm not familiar with it)? This may sound stupid, but I do seriously want to know what happened.

I don't know if this question goes here, nor if I should even be asking it in the first place, or even if anyone will be able to answer it, but I'm genuinely confused and ANY possible insight will be of assistance.

You might be reading into it for more than its worth, as in, your opponent might have forfeited the match for reasons other than the battle itself.

I've spent my fair share of time battling on showdown, and run into the occasional meaningless forfeit. Yes, they're irritating, but you are dealing with human beings, and we're easily distracted and sometimes absentminded creatures. On occasion, because other things happen to me outside the computer, something may interrupt me in the middle of a battle that I have to address immediately. The doorbell may ring, or an important phone call comes in; something outside Showdown that supersedes the few points lost for throwing a match away. Heck, there have been a couple times with the livestream guys, where we spent so much time discussing the merits of battle decisions that the timer ran out, and we lost. Fun times!

aaand I'm a derp for jumping the gun on my post, missing the battle chat entirely

I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Last edited:
You might be reading into it for more than its worth, as in, your opponent might have forfeited the match for reasons other than the battle itself.

But if you look into the chat right before he quit, he mentioned the Hax, so I assume that's why he suddenly quit, as opposed to for another outside reason. I understand it might be pointless to wonder about it, but most people I face generally don't forfeit so suddenly and oddly and I was seriously wondering if it had something to do with the battle that he probably was going to win.

But if you look into the chat right before he quit, he mentioned the Hax, so I assume that's why he suddenly quit, as opposed to for another outside reason. I understand it might be pointless to wonder about it, but most people I face generally don't forfeit so suddenly and oddly and I was seriously wondering if it had something to do with the battle that he probably was going to win.

Hax, from my limited understanding, usually refers to whenever some RNG nonsense happens. Such as getting as getting multiple flinches in a row from an elemental fang or having your fighters killing themselves because they missed 2 HJKs in a rwo, etc.

Hax, from my limited understanding, usually refers to whenever some RNG nonsense happens. Such as getting as getting multiple flinches in a row from an elemental fang or having your fighters killing themselves because they missed 2 HJKs in a rwo, etc.

I understand what Hax is. In this case, he missed, which is what he said before quitting. What I don't get is why the miss (or possibly the loss of his Krookodile) would be reason enough to quit. As I said before, he was probably going to win and I was wondering if maybe that miss screwed with some kind of strategy that would mean he's have no way of winning. If it was, I was curious to know what it was.

He wanted to sweep with Krookodile - the Togekiss, Lucario, and Jirachi were almost certainly going to spam Follow Me while the +6 (+5 after Intimidate) Krookodile did all the real killing with spread moves like Rock Slide and EQ. Plus, he didn't really have an answer to Rotom-H once you nailed the Krook.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom