• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Is defense or HP better (in EV training) for a defensive pokemon? I see so many teams going 252 HP instead of defense or special defense. Wouldn't defense or Spd be better in general?

Would this EV spread be good for a Jigglypuff I'm using for a NFE team?

80 HP/252 Def/28 Sp. Atk/80 Sp. Def/70 Spe

Last edited:
Moveset is Reflect, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, and Toxic. She's supposed to be an attacking supporter.

Hm...well, I would first of all switch Thunderbolt for something like Return (for STAB) or Ice Beam (nothing's immune to it, even though a few things resist it). Thunderbolt as your only attack leaves you helpless against Ground types.

That said, I think you can ditch the Special Attack and Speed EVs, and put them into HP and Special Defense. This Jigglypuff really feels to me like a supporter with an attack in there to prevent Taunt from screwing you over. Because of this, I don't think that you really need the Sp. Attack EVs, as what you're mainly going to want to do is set up as much as possible. Your opponent probably won't stay in when they're statused. If you want to go more offensive, you can run both Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, as well as Return and perhaps a healing move.

what do the 68 speed outspeed exactly? Base 20 speed isnt outspeeding much, and trick room would be popular among NFE teams, and to an extent in UU, so I would minimize speed, give it a - speed nature and a 0 iv to be able to stop TR teams, being slower than -speed slowbro and -speed steelix.

So, I'm thinking about building a UU/NU team with a "Semi-Sun" strategy, if you will. I plan on building a team around the ever popular Bellyzard (so obviously I need Spin Support, and a good wall or two), but with a Sunny Day user to make the 675 Power Fire Punch even more devastating (as well as all of the other things Sunlight can do for a team).

I original plan was to have a Sub-Seeding Scout Jumpluff with U-Turn and Sunny Day (holding a Heat Rock or Leftovers) to come in whenever it feels safe, or when it set up a good Sub-Seed and forces a switch, and use Sunny Day. However, a friend of mine argues that Jumpluff is fairly useless without making Sunlight its #1 priority.

So, what do you all think of a team that uses Sunlight as a secondary strategy as opposed to a full on Sunny Day team?

So, I'm thinking about building a UU/NU team with a "Semi-Sun" strategy, if you will. I plan on building a team around the ever popular Bellyzard (so obviously I need Spin Support, and a good wall or two), but with a Sunny Day user to make the 675 Power Fire Punch even more devastating (as well as all of the other things Sunlight can do for a team).

I original plan was to have a Sub-Seeding Scout Jumpluff with U-Turn and Sunny Day (holding a Heat Rock or Leftovers) to come in whenever it feels safe, or when it set up a good Sub-Seed and forces a switch, and use Sunny Day. However, a friend of mine argues that Jumpluff is fairly useless without making Sunlight its #1 priority.

So, what do you all think of a team that uses Sunlight as a secondary strategy as opposed to a full on Sunny Day team?

First of all, your friend is a filthy liar. I've used Jumpluff to GREAT success without ever having Sunny Day on it's moveset. Sleep Powder+Stun Spore+Encore+U-turn works WONDERS as a lead annoyer, and a +speed nature and 252 evs lets it outspeed Gengar even without sun.

Secondly, it's a general rule of thumb that weather teams must still be able to function if their weather is gone. For instance, if a Tyranitar is brought out against a Rain Dance team, that Rain Dance team must not be crippled by the lack of rain. So yes, I think that it's a good strategy to plan for a back up in case your sun is taken away or runs out. However, the point of a weather team is, ultimately, to build a strategy around a certain type of weather. So while I wouldn't call having Sunny Day as your backup strategy a good idea, I do think that you should have one.

tl;dr : Jumpluff is perfectly usable without sunny day, Sunny Day should be your main strategy with a backup plan in case the sun is absent.

I second Feliciano's statement about Jumpluff. The Sub-seeding variety is truly annoying in the hands of a skilled player. Sleep Powder and Encore gives it an edge over Sceptile but do remember that Sub does not block Taunt.

And I'm really not thrilled about weather teams besides the rain, but with a good team build it will work.

That's what I thought >< But yeah, thanks for the advice. I know I want to do Sub-Seed, and I really want to try Semi-Weather, as I feel like it would be a really big surprise tactic. Thanks guys c:

BL is a banlist for UU. People nominate then vote after playing the UU metagame, trying to weed out pokemon which overcentralize it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom