• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Hey guys. Do you think that Politoed with the Drizzle ability can help the Rain Team? I've already know that Milotic is one of the best members of the Water Team.

Yes, Politoed is a good idea on a Rain team. Even if Magikarp had Drizzle it'd be good on Rain teams.

Ok. That's great. But I thought that Politoed and Kyogre are the only two pokemon who can use Drizzle ability. So I thought that Politoed would be the one. Better than to rely on the legendary pokemon.
If you play Ubers, Kyogre is best. If you play OU, Politoed is best.

Hey guys. Do you think that Politoed with the Drizzle ability can help the Rain Team? I've already know that Milotic is one of the best members of the Water Team.

Yes, Politoed is a good idea on a Rain team. Even if Magikarp had Drizzle it'd be good on Rain teams.

Ok. That's great. But I thought that Politoed and Kyogre are the only two pokemon who can use Drizzle ability. So I thought that Politoed would be the one. Better than to rely on the legendary pokemon.

Kyogre can definitely help with the weather, but if I use Kyogre, then people would think that I'm sort kind of a noob who have no skills. Hey, how about Corsola and Floatzel? Corsola will start off with the Stealth Rock to weaken the opponents' pokemon, and Floatzel with the Swift Swim ability will go off with the attack once Drizzle have the effect. But what kind of Politoed with Drizzle ability should I use? I've already planned a Milotic like this...

Milotic
Nature: Calm
Characteristic: Good Endurance
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/240 DEF/ 16 Sp. Def

Moveset:
Rest
Sleep Talk
Scald
Dragon Tail

So what do you think of this Milotic? Would that be enough to help out the Rain Team? Or should I have her EV trained like this? 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD

Last edited:
Thanks, Celebi was pretty useful

I'm making a new Doubles team which I may use for VGC an I need a bit of help

Currently I have focus a whimsicott which sets up trick room on the first turn (Partnered with heatran) hopfully surviving with focus sash and getting a priority sunny day in at the start of turn 2.
The aforementioned heatran will use protect turn 1 and then use sun boosted eruption.

Team:
Whimsicott @ Focus sash/mental herb
Evs: 152 speed, 152 sp.Atk, 4 hp
N: Timid
A: Prankster
Moves:
Trick Room
Sunny Day
Giga Drain
Taunt

Although trick room isn't given priority, nobody expects it from a whimsicott although I could probably use a backup for TR setup. Speed for taunting before being taunted.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EV: 252 sp.atk, 124 Def, 124 Sp.def
N: Quiet
A: Flash fire
Moves:
Eruption
Protect
Flash Cannon
Solarbeam

Good defences, offences and type coverage his low speed allows him to work very well inside trick room.

Any suggestions?

I'm just wondering, should I change EV spreads depending on the IVs of the Pokemon, for example:

Chansey @Eviolite
IVs: 31, 7, 31, 28, 18, 21

It's 'spose to be a Eviolite Chansey, you know, like the wall one.

This might be a stupid question and I'm not really sure where to put it, but I'm trying to EV train with the aid of Join Avenue to help speed up the process in Black 2 and none of the articles I've read have been very clear when it comes to Join Avenue.

Does the Cafe/Dojo tell you when a certain EV or your total EVs are maxed? I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my money pointlessly since I don't know the exact totals of my EVs right now and since that NPC that used to tell you whether or not your EVs were maxed isn't there anymore in B2/W2, I need something else to give me an idea of where I'm at.

Last edited:
It is honestly just easier to set up a chart on excel or a piece of paper and record how many evs you are giving them. If they already have some random evs before you start ev training then the aren't worth ev training and you should breed another one and restart.

It is honestly just easier to set up a chart on excel or a piece of paper and record how many evs you are giving them. If they already have some random evs before you start ev training then the aren't worth ev training and you should breed another one and restart.

Thank you for the input, but you may have misunderstood my question. I've already got the Join Avenue Salon leveled up enough that I can clear out my junk EVs without any trouble even without knowing the exact total, and I've been keeping track of them ever since I realized I was past 100 in the stats I want to max out (vitamins don't work anymore). I'm just asking if the Dojo and/or Cafe will tell me when EVs are maxed since the EV checker NPC that used to be in Opelucid City doesn't seem to be there anymore and I know my current estimates are off.

Last edited:

I would say: If you play Ubers, Kyogre is best. If you play OU, you have no choice except toed.

You know how Smogon says Volcarana can work really good on a rain team due to Hurricane, despite that rain lowers Fire-Type moves and raises Water-Type moves that are Super Effective against Volcarana?

Well, is there a Pokemon like Volcarana, except for sun teams? Like a Pokemon normally would be on a rain team, but can unexpectally work on a sun team too?

@Shiny Shinx; There is now a new specs Kingdra set floating around that is designed to abuse sun to power up its hp fire on steel switch ins and also punish rain teams who set up weather in the early game.

@Takaki;

Oh, I didn't relize that. I'll be a bit more clear.

Can RBY Mewtwo beat Normal-Type Arceus in the 5th Generation?

That still makes no sense since the moves are different and defending against a move that has different mechanics to its own genertion won't be representative of a real match up.

(I can't belive I'm posting here for the 3rd time in a row...)

I know this is a stupid question, but how would you train a Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina for Little Cup?

Question about IV Training.

Hello, I have a question for IV training. I got a thread from Pokecommunity.com, and I wanted to ask you guys in here, since I'm a long time lurker but just joined.
Plumpufoof here on the advanced Breeding section, mentions info on IV chain breeding, where he is trying to train a Beldum. Here's what he says:

IVs are not all generated random as you may already know. In fact without using power items your Pokemon will inherit 2 to 5 of it's parents IV's.
The rest are generated randomly.
It is generated with priority like this:
1) Power items
2) One random stat from either parent (Not HP or Def)
3) One random stat from either parent (Not HP)
4) Two random stats from opposite parents
What I don't understand here is that, it does say that the offspring gets 2 to 5 IVs from it's parents, but when it comes to the priority stats listed above, how does it work? Does the offspring ALWAYS get the IV from the power item, then one random stat from either parent (not HP or Def), and so on, I mean, does he get ALL 5 IVs in these order, or if not, is there a chance the offspring can get, let's say, only 3IVs, and skip the IV stat that is favored by the Power Item, then get all three IV stats from the rules above (example, the 1st IV stat is a random from either parent, excluding HP and DEF, the second from either parent, excluding HP, etc.)?
Moving on,
So you would think to put two Power items on to increase the likelihood of getting two good stats. Well not necessarily true. You have 50% chance of either occurring but the likelihood of the other will be randomly assigned as normal.

Here is a personal account of chain IV Breeding using two power Items:
I want a Beldum with at least 30 in Attack and Speed, but I also want bulk in Def and Sp Def as well as HP
HP, Attack, Defence, Special Attack, Special Defence, Speed

Ditto (20, 9, 16, 31, 11, 31) + Beldum (5, 1, 31, 28, 30, 21) = Beldum (9, 9, 31, 16, 30, 31)
Ditto (30, 30, 3, 24, 28, 6) + Beldum (9,9,31,16,30,31) = Beldum ( 30, 30 31, 14, 28, 31)

Of course I did fill up a box and a half of failed babies.
The trick to chain IV breeding, is that when you find a baby with more IVs in all the stats you switch one of the Pokemon out, and give it a new power item (or Everstone).
Not all that difficult once you have the hang of it.

So here's the part that is even more difficult for me to understand, and most important for me.
He has a Ditto (which has to be found with those IVs, right? I mean, Dittos can't be bred :S), and pairs it with Beldum1, giving Beldum2 as an offspring. The baby has received the DEF and SP DEF IV stats from the Beldum parent and the Speed IV stat from Ditto. So I know that I can use one power item to "transmit" one of these stats, but how are the two other stats transmitted? I know this has to do with the priority list mentioned above, but how does it work when you have an egg?
Same thing with the second breed, he got the offspring from the first breed and bred it with another Ditto. How did ALL of his desired stats transfer to the final Beldum?
Can anyone, pleease, help me breaking this down? I'm not a native English speaker, although I do write, read and understand well, but still, I've read the guide several times and had a hard time understanding it 100%... Especially this part.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom