• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

I was just wondering whether or not others ended up planning father ahead than the current writing. Thanks for the answers! (y):LOL:

I repeat:

I've had many a fan idea for Pokemon Anime, but not many people have much to say about them. So i have to ask, are they really that bad?

Idea 1. - Ash having some connection to an Anti-Pokemon organization dedicated to ridding the Earth of the species and conquering it.

We've seen many a Villainous team in the Pokemon franchise, but, they've all been groups who saw Pokemon as a means to an end and frequently use them. Would it really have been bad if a story mixed it up a little and introduced a group that specialized in destroying pokemon? If anything it could introduce a theme of Man vs. Nature, with humans trying to wage war on natural creatures. Also, rather just have Ash be some random trainer who decided to interfere in their plans (Pokemon Chronicles proved that just about any trainer could hinder Team Rocket in some way), he could instead have some connection to them, be able to play a role in their defeats in way that only someone of his history could. Granted, when i came up with this idea, I had TMNT's Foot Clan in mind (more specifically, the 2003 incarnation's version), but still, the notion of an anti-pokemon group still feels like a good idea, what's wrong with it?

Idea 2. - Ash having a sister

Not much i can say about this one, other than the fact that it seemed like a good idea at the time. Also, back then, no one really clarified that Ash was an only child in a confirming way; we hear Misty say he's an only child, but for all we knew at the time, she was only making an assumption about him, an assumption he never got around to correcting. Also, in that Mr. Mime episode, Delia only asked if Ash had a twin brother, not if he had a twin sibling, just saying. It wasn't until the XY Generation that we hear Ash actually say he had no siblings, so, until then, it was still sort of left ambiguous if he really was an only child. Just saying

Idea 3. - A talking Persian

This was yet another idea that seemed like a good one at the time, and now, i really feel like it could have worked. This Persian could have served as the antithesis of all other Persian because he was large, burly and sort of scruffy looking instead of medium sized, petite and elegant. Rather than be the type of Persian one would keep as a pet, this Persian would be the kind of Pokemon you'd ask to be a bodyguard.

Also, he could have worked because he could have served as Ash and Co.'s reflection of Team Rocket's Meowth; while Meowth is a follower and kind of whiny, this Persian would act as the stern peacekeeper and staunch protector of the group's pokemon and serve as the occasional adviser to the group itself. While Meowth knows very few attacks, is a bit of a coward and kind of shrimpy but not very agile, and prefers to use weapons and trickery, this Persian would gladly jump into the fray, is incredibly large for his kind, but very fast and agile and knows a multitude of attacks and moves (some of which are not the type that a Persian is known to use). Both can talk because they taught themselves how to do so and both are feisty and sharp of tongue, but while Meowth is mostly just a wise guy braggart with a temper, this Persian is more calm and collective and can actually back up what he says with both actions and real knowledge. Also, while Meowth is a bit of a narcissist, this Persian cares very little about his appearance, hence why his fur would be so rough and unkempt, his whiskers would look a little mangled, his gem would look a little dull and his claws and teeth would resemble those of a hardened predator rather than a well groomed pet. Finally, while Meowth and Pikachu really do not get along, this Persian would have an almost symbiotic relationship with Pikachu.

Are these ideas really that bad?

My attitude towards fanfic idea is simply ANYTHING GOES! My personal motto: "There is no bad idea in this world, just unappreciated ideas that are waiting yet to be appreciated"
And my alternative interpretation of Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crap -- simply because 99% of the population is only willing to give appreciation to that outstanding 10%. Still yet, at least 1% will appreciate that 90% -- either positively or negatively"

As long as the writer wanted to write a specific story, then regardless of what readers will say about it, just write it out. Do not even worry about what negative reviews will bring just because "it sounds like a bad idea", you'll never know is it really such a bad idea until someone says anything about it. Yet, one of the sad truth within the internet writing communities, regardless of is it fanfic or not, is that only two types of fic will get a lot of reviews: The very good ones, and the very bad ones. The ones that are neither good or bad are the ones getting the short end of the stick.

Idea 1. - Ash having some connection to an Anti-Pokemon organization dedicated to ridding the Earth of the species and conquering it.
We've seen many a Villainous team in the Pokemon franchise, but, they've all been groups who saw Pokemon as a means to an end and frequently use them. Would it really have been bad if a story mixed it up a little and introduced a group that specialized in destroying pokemon? If anything it could introduce a theme of Man vs. Nature, with humans trying to wage war on natural creatures. Also, rather just have Ash be some random trainer who decided to interfere in their plans (Pokemon Chronicles proved that just about any trainer could hinder Team Rocket in some way), he could instead have some connection to them, be able to play a role in their defeats in way that only someone of his history could. Granted, when i came up with this idea, I had TMNT's Foot Clan in mind (more specifically, the 2003 incarnation's version), but still, the notion of an anti-pokemon group still feels like a good idea, what's wrong with it?

Sounds creative. Work best for AU fic.

Idea 2. - Ash having a sister
Not much i can say about this one, other than the fact that it seemed like a good idea at the time. Also, back then, no one really clarified that Ash was an only child in a confirming way; we hear Misty say he's an only child, but for all we knew at the time, she was only making an assumption about him, an assumption he never got around to correcting. Also, in that Mr. Mime episode, Delia only asked if Ash had a twin brother, not if he had a twin sibling, just saying. It wasn't until the XY Generation that we hear Ash actually say he had no siblings, so, until then, it was still sort of left ambiguous if he really was an only child. Just saying

AU fic gives the writer whatever possibilities about canon characters. Therefore it may works.

Idea 3. - A talking Persian
This was yet another idea that seemed like a good one at the time, and now, i really feel like it could have worked. This Persian could have served as the antithesis of all other Persian because he was large, burly and sort of scruffy looking instead of medium sized, petite and elegant. Rather than be the type of Persian one would keep as a pet, this Persian would be the kind of Pokemon you'd ask to be a bodyguard.

Also, he could have worked because he could have served as Ash and Co.'s reflection of Team Rocket's Meowth; while Meowth is a follower and kind of whiny, this Persian would act as the stern peacekeeper and staunch protector of the group's pokemon and serve as the occasional adviser to the group itself. While Meowth knows very few attacks, is a bit of a coward and kind of shrimpy but not very agile, and prefers to use weapons and trickery, this Persian would gladly jump into the fray, is incredibly large for his kind, but very fast and agile and knows a multitude of attacks and moves (some of which are not the type that a Persian is known to use). Both can talk because they taught themselves how to do so and both are feisty and sharp of tongue, but while Meowth is mostly just a wise guy braggart with a temper, this Persian is more calm and collective and can actually back up what he says with both actions and real knowledge. Also, while Meowth is a bit of a narcissist, this Persian cares very little about his appearance, hence why his fur would be so rough and unkempt, his whiskers would look a little mangled, his gem would look a little dull and his claws and teeth would resemble those of a hardened predator rather than a well groomed pet. Finally, while Meowth and Pikachu really do not get along, this Persian would have an almost symbiotic relationship with Pikachu.

If TRio Meowth can talk, why can't for any other pokemons?

Regarding on your fic idea, simply just label it as "AU fic", then it works.

I don't think your ideas are bad. Sure, there will be people who don't like them, but that goes for any story, book, film or whatever. Partly what makes an idea bad lies in the eye of the beholder. If you think that you can write captivating stories about a certain subject or plot idea go ahead. Nobody knows, when starting on a story, whether others will think it's good or bad, and I think it might be detirmental to cerativity if you focus too much on whether others will like your story or not when you are writing it. Base your writing on what kind of stories you'd like to read. Besides, regarding Ash's sister, the anime is only canon if you decide that it is. What matters more in fanfiction, I think, is the internal consistency of your story, that is, that it is logically coherent and that the readers understand what is possible and not possible to do in your version of the pokémon world.

I'm writing a scene for my PMD fic where a Graveler is attempting to cave in my MC's team with a Magnitude. They're knocked onto the ground, and it's violently shaking them, and I want to show it by having their dialogue stutter. But is it best that I imply that's happening through the narrative? Or do I really want to show it in their dialogue physically?

A bit of stuttering from them being interrupted in their sentences by, say, falling over would be ok in my eyes. I would focus on telling through narrative on this one

Yeah, I can see where you're coming at, I think. If I'm always showing the stuttering in the dialogues it comes off as awkward and cumbersome, right?

Personally, if I'm writing a scene like that, I'd mainly use narrative, but I'd see if there's a subtle way to incorporate it into the dialog itself. For example, rather than stuttering all the dialog, I may have a line or two of dialog cut off by an exceptionally powerful jostle from the quake, or from dodging falling debris. Key word is "subtle."

I'm thinking that if you're in a cave and there is an eathquake that is powerful enough to cause a cave-in, first of all, there will be a lot of noise from stones that fall down or are crushed et cetera, and if the shaking is so violent that it itself accects your characters' ability to talk without stuttering, it will most likely be quite difficult to hear what anyone says because of the loud noise. That would probably be the major cause of communication difficulties. Do you mean to show that your characters literally stutter due to the violent shaking (I wonder whether stuttering can really be caused by shaking - when I try it it seems that the major effect is a rapid variability in the loudness of my voice and an increased risk of biting my tongue rather than stuttering in a way that can be reproduced in writing by e.g. repeating syllables), or do you simply want to use stuttered speech as a way of conveying to the readers that the ground is shaking violently? I wsould probably use other ways of indicating that, such as by using narrative and letting them be interrupted and speak in short sentences and exclamations.

I'm thinking that if you're in a cave and there is an eathquake that is powerful enough to cause a cave-in, first of all, there will be a lot of noise from stones that fall down or are crushed et cetera, and if the shaking is so violent that it itself accects your characters' ability to talk without stuttering, it will most likely be quite difficult to hear what anyone says because of the loud noise. That would probably be the major cause of communication difficulties. Do you mean to show that your characters literally stutter due to the violent shaking (I wonder whether stuttering can really be caused by shaking - when I try it it seems that the major effect is a rapid variability in the loudness of my voice and an increased risk of biting my tongue rather than stuttering in a way that can be reproduced in writing by e.g. repeating syllables), or do you simply want to use stuttered speech as a way of conveying to the readers that the ground is shaking violently? I wsould probably use other ways of indicating that, such as by using narrative and letting them be interrupted and speak in short sentences and exclamations.

Well, I call it "stuttering" because I can't think of the actual word that enforces that certain effect.

But yes, I was wanting to convey my characters' speech to be choppy and nearly incoherent from the ground violently shaking them up. For this, I'll agree to display it through narrative, rather than clog up the dialogue with it.

Just a curious question. Are the Winter Awards judging rounds done yet? I haven't seen any sort of message or notification stating if it has or hasn't. Not asking if I won or anything, but I finally got a new chapter written and I want to post it (it only took me two months...), but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to yet. If memory serves, we cannot add or tweak our stories during the judging round, but since I'm not sure if the judging round has ended or not, I'm not sure if it's safe to submit the new chapter just yet. It's not a big deal, but I do want to post it before I forget about it or life gets in the way, as I'm already working on the following chapter, so I don't want to cluster posting it all in one shot, as I know I have to space out the submissions a bit. Just whenever someone gets the chance let me know. Thanks in advance.

Beth Pavell is right. Judging should be done in about a week. Feel free to post new chapters whenever you'd like, just keep in mind that they will not be taken into consideration by the judges this season.

Thanks to both of you. That's just what I needed to know. I kinda figured the last part, that any new chapters wouldn't be "included" during the judging, but I wasn't sure if new chapters were allowed at all during the judging round. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

So, pluralizing species names... How do you guys and gals handle it? From what I remember of the anime (which I haven't watched in at least a decade it feels like), the plural of Pikachu is... Pikachu. Like "Hey, look at all those Pikachu over there!" Conventional wisdom has me thinking it should be "Hey, look at all those Pikachus over there!", but I'm not sure.

This is something I'm thinking about shifting away from. When I was drafting up the notes for an upcoming chapter of Storm Island, I've written out "Likewise, she mentions that of all the Skitty she's seen...", but it just doesn't look right. Skitties looks right. I already break a lot of the franchise's rules when writing, but I want to see what other people think.

And thus I add another completely trivial and probably pointless question to a growing mountain of silly tripe.

Rules of grammar in Pokémon names, a subject during January? Oh dear.

Anyway, out of custom I've been following the convention of Pikachu, Pikachu for singulars, plurals. But I've never had any good, practical reason for folowing this rule other than "lol, inertia". In fact, I see less sense in following with every story I write,

I'm working on a pretty long story and I've already decided to switch to "pikachu, pikachus" for the grammar rules, since it's the only way I can think of that makes sense in-universe, the only way that "just works". From a Watsonian perspective, Pokémon species names are not brand names but common names, like cat and dog, and thus would not go capitalized and would not seem to enjoy special treatment when pluralizing; and as RSE/FRLG shows, they are not taxonomic binomes or other similar structures either so treating them as such is also out of the pciture. (Porygon and Castform might be reasonable exceptions though, given they are artificial Pokémon with names likely subjected to trademark law) I'm of course taking advantage of this and in-story I'll have scientists and researchers refer to some species by their binomes, be them canon (Oddium Wanderum) or fanon, as well as "just flows well" plurals such as vulpices, rhydons, skitties (or skitteh o3o), cradilies.

And, i mean... really. If we were to truly be faithful grammar nazis to the games for Pokémon names, any and all fanfics written before 2005 should use "PIKACHU, PIKACHU", as well as "PSNCUREBERRY" and all that stuff, so... well down the line there's a place and a time for everything, I guess it depends on if you're writing from the perspective of an author portraying a world or an author portraying a game: for eg.: game run novelization fanfics, I'd pretty much stick to the Pikachu, Pikachu rule simply because it's intended to read closer to what the games are like.

But I guess all this is just me overthinking things as usual. I'll go pet my skitty and take a nap.

(This does leave the more discrete matter of if the name "Pokémon" itself is used in-universe and if so how would it be capitalized and pluralized, but I think that's more of a subject for a philosophical than morphological discussion)

Rules of grammar in Pokémon names, a subject during January? Oh dear.

Anyway, out of custom I've been following the convention of Pikachu, Pikachu for singulars, plurals. But I've never had any good, practical reason for folowing this rule other than "lol, inertia". In fact, I see less sense in following with every story I write,

I'm working on a pretty long story and I've already decided to switch to "pikachu, pikachus" for the grammar rules, since it's the only way I can think of that makes sense in-universe, the only way that "just works". From a Watsonian perspective, Pokémon species names are not brand names but common names, like cat and dog, and thus would not go capitalized and would not seem to enjoy special treatment when pluralizing; and as RSE/FRLG shows, they are not taxonomic binomes or other similar structures either so treating them as such is also out of the pciture. (Porygon and Castform might be reasonable exceptions though, given they are artificial Pokémon with names likely subjected to trademark law) I'm of course taking advantage of this and in-story I'll have scientists and researchers refer to some species by their binomes, be them canon (Oddium Wanderum) or fanon, as well as "just flows well" plurals such as vulpices, rhydons, skitties (or skitteh o3o), cradilies.

And, i mean... really. If we were to truly be faithful grammar nazis to the games for Pokémon names, any and all fanfics written before 2005 should use "PIKACHU, PIKACHU", as well as "PSNCUREBERRY" and all that stuff, so... well down the line there's a place and a time for everything, I guess it depends on if you're writing from the perspective of an author portraying a world or an author portraying a game: for eg.: game run novelization fanfics, I'd pretty much stick to the Pikachu, Pikachu rule simply because it's intended to read closer to what the games are like.

But I guess all this is just me overthinking things as usual. I'll go pet my skitty and take a nap.

(This does leave the more discrete matter of if the name "Pokémon" itself is used in-universe and if so how would it be capitalized and pluralized, but I think that's more of a subject for a philosophical than morphological discussion)

I was under the impression that, since Pokemon are Japanese, all plurals turn singular.

Linguistically speaking, loanwords from another language don't have to follow the rules of their original language. English has an entirely mix-and-match approach in this regard (fiancé and fiancée keeping acute accents from French, while anime is pronounced without one). If we really wanted to be picky we could argue about whether Pokémon should be pronounced or spelt with an accent.

Point is, you could make a good argument for whatever convention you choose to use

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom