• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

I also kinda look at Hoopa is being something of a genie/jinn kinda Pokémon, but then there's already Jirachi...

There's a lot of differences you could potentially work off of, though. Jirachi appears every thousand years, or appears before a pure hero. Hoopa can appear anytime in any universe/dimension/what have you, and is mischievous - I imagine a granted wish from Hoopa would make you wish you never made a wish at all, or something of the like. I'm sure Hoopa's different forms separate it from Jirachi as well, but I don't know much about the forms.

I agree that GameFreak sucks with legendaries, but it does make things interesting for a fanfic writer.

I'm working on my own interpretation of the legendary/mythical terminology. Since the videogame canon generally uses "mythical" as a placeholder for "event Pokemon", but from a fic perspective it needs something with more meat.

So I'm kind of dipping into Elder Scrolls for inspiration here, but in the world there was the Creation Era, followed by the Era of Myth -- both of them rather ambiguous time frames about which little is known for sure, especially since the mythic Pokemon themselves don't really speak of it much either. All mythic Pokemon are immortal, but it's possible that certain ones are effectively reincarnations of themselves and aren't entirely the same individual they used to be during the mythic era.

So I'm kind of dipping into Elder Scrolls for inspiration here
Oooh, that reminds me of how much I wanted to do my own rendition of Hermaeus Mora's dimension of Apocrypha. If there's anything Bethesda did right with Skyrim, it was the atmosphere created for that area. Unfortunately I'm too dug into stone to really fiddle with that idea.

Hoopa is apparently based off of a genie, so the anime didn't just pull that out of the blue.

Also, given that the Delta Episode hinted strongly at ORAS Hoenn being part of a completely different dimension than R/S/E Hoenn, that might be where they also tied that idea in from. Not that we needed more dimension pokemon, like KP said, but yeah. It's kind of cool when you don't take it seriously.

So Hoopa has potential, and the lack of mythology surrounding it thus far just inspired lots of ideas for me as well. XD So thanks for posting this, and let me know if you expand on this idea!

The concept of a genie doesn't really work in the GVerse, at least not the Robin Williams-style genie I am thinking of. The games probably have their explanation for it, and I do the concept of a multiverse in mine, but I also already have other Pokemon to deal specifically with dimensions. I don't think Arceus would have created three/four gods to control dimensions, so I've got to kind of ignore what the games have done with Hoopa, which is admittedly very little.

So, quick question regarding a made up word. A lot of stones end in 'ite', such as tanzanite, anthracite, graphite, etc. Now, if I were to combine that with 'obsidian', would I end up with obsidite or obsidiite? The pronunciation I want is uh-b-sid-ee-ahyt. Neither looks right, but I have to choose one.

So, quick question regarding a made up word. A lot of stones end in 'ite', such as tanzanite, anthracite, graphite, etc. Now, if I were to combine that with 'obsidian', would I end up with obsidite or obsidiite? The pronunciation I want is uh-b-sid-ee-ahyt. Neither looks right, but I have to choose one.

Well, making up words are weird but both words does spell nearly similar. I'm not much of a helper, but I would say obsidiite sounds different even though it have another "i". It's like my own name, it may look like it spell "Monica", but an extra "i" could make the name a lot different. I hope you understand what I'm saying and I hope this help.

I'd say obsidiite. Like "radii" the first 'i' gives you the "ee" and the second one gives you the "aye". I'm pretty sure we have some linguistics people around here somewhere that would be able to provide a more credible answer though.

Err, let's see. From what I can tell, the "ite" suffix is used for naming minerals, which obsidian technically isn't. So presumably the made-up etymology would be either as a technically incorrect name coined at a time when obsidian wasn't fully understood, or a misleading name for an obsidian-like material. Ok, that established, to know spelling, then know the speaker. Is it a commonly used word or a scientific word? Common words usually develop more phonetic spellings (English ironically tending to be the exception to this rule), but since "ii" isn't common in English I'd spell it as something like "obsideite". For a scientific I think I'd run with "obsidiite"

EDIT: Strictly speaking, English is a right hodge-podge of spellings and pronunciations, so even if you were to be unbelievably pedantic you couldn't go wrong

I guess it could be considered an obsidian-like material; shiny and black in color, but unlike real obsidian, incredibly durable and tough. It's not really a scientific word, since I'm using it in a list of potential Fakemon names (or rather, a list of monster names I'll probably end up using in my RPG once that progresses further). I guess since I already have stuff drafted up like Raveknight, Calarie and Phlask I really shouldn't worry about spelling so much.

EDIT: Strictly speaking, English is a right hodge-podge of spellings and pronunciations, so even if you were to be unbelievably pedantic you couldn't go wrong
Very good point. I'll keep that in 'mhind'.

Err, let's see. From what I can tell, the "ite" suffix is used for naming minerals, which obsidian technically isn't. So presumably the made-up etymology would be either as a technically incorrect name coined at a time when obsidian wasn't fully understood, or a misleading name for an obsidian-like material. Ok, that established, to know spelling, then know the speaker. Is it a commonly used word or a scientific word? Common words usually develop more phonetic spellings (English ironically tending to be the exception to this rule), but since "ii" isn't common in English I'd spell it as something like "obsideite". For a scientific I think I'd run with "obsidiite"

It's kinda like making up a disease and ending its name with "itis", when this particular suffix denotes the inflammation that causes disease, and not the disease itself.

I asked myself what would happen if in my story the partner is a reincarnation of an ancient legendary (Raikou) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,what kind of pokemon is the partner?
He's a Shinx. By the time the pair face off against Dialga to save time everyone's fully evolved, but I'm thinking of a possibility that something happens and everything seems to "reset" after the timeline's fixed. Then things get complicated. One idea that refuses to go away is that the main character has vanished and the partner is the only one who remembers he even existed, nobody else believes him.

So I have a question, but it's not for a Pokemon fic. To keep from bogging my comment down with unnecessary explanations, I have some of the rough draft on my deviantart sta.sh (Rough Draft To an Untitled Story) The basic gist of this story is it's a medieval furry fic.

Long story short: I have these demon lord people who have unique ways of "devouring" souls. Likewise, the kings back then developed special magic arts to counteract these demons. These "King's Arts" act more as a character booster, in contrast with the usual kinetic magic abilities the story has. For example: one King's Art bestows determination.

One of the demon lords inhales so powerfully, the vacuum he creates violently rips the soul straight out of the body. But what's stumping me is: I can't figure out a King's Art that can counter-act this. Also, another demon lord devours souls by burning the bodies from the inside out, and I can't figure out a way to counteract that as well. Someone help, please?

Something like divine protection sounds like a way to counteract the second situation. Can't think of anything for the first one, though.

Looking for some advice/second opinions. In addition to some coming plot elements for ASOTC, I'm considering adding a prologue to the story as a whole that would compliment the plot simering on the back burner, and act as an early-story hook as well. I know the right answer is "do whatever you think works" but I'm kind of at an impasse with myself on this, and I'd prefer to at least take aim before throwing something at the wall to see if it sticks. (Also gonna clean up first few chapters, but that's mainly beside the point). I'd really like for the advice/opinions of those familiar with the story, and who won't necessarily mind a few spoilers or inside scoops of the incoming plot. Thanks in advance!

@chaos_Leader; As someone who has read all of ASOTC, my advice would be to include the prologue. While there is something in the back that readers know is happening, it can be quite confusing when it is talked about, and it won't help if it's not going to be addressed/talked about until Peter is fully done with his training, as that seems like it's going to take a while. Granted, I don't know how you plan to pace things in the big picture, but that's just how I see it as a reader.

One of the demon lords inhales so powerfully, the vacuum he creates violently rips the soul straight out of the body. But what's stumping me is: I can't figure out a King's Art that can counter-act this.

What about something like [Vacuum/Force] Resistance? Or Body Toughening? I was thinking along the lines of abilities that would shield one from powerful gravitational forces.

Also, another demon lord devours souls by burning the bodies from the inside out, and I can't figure out a way to counteract that as well. Someone help, please?

Is it too generic to say Flame Resistance? Or are you looking for a more specific attack/counter. The only other thing that comes to mind is some sort of aura shield that would protect one from a demon lord attack, but that's also pretty generic.

I'm considering just making them be generic soul protection, with secondary benefits to make each Art unique to their user.

How do you guys handle a homosexual character respectfully? I was wanting to add a Greninja into my story who is gay: he's not exactly closeted about it, either, he'll actually tell you honestly if you ask. But other than that, he won't bring it up in normal conversation. I was thinking subtlety is key, but how subtle should I be with it?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom