• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions, Simple (Or Not) Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Actually, Gengar is a dongle pokemon with any GBA game (found in Old Chateau in the room with the painting of the "eyes"). But if you don't have a GBA game, there is a trainer (a psychic I believe) with a Gengar somewhere on the first floor of Victory Road. Just an FYI, every single non legendary pokemon in the Sinnoh dex can be found on at least one trainer somewhere in the game.

I play pokemon platinum and i was wondering something..

I'm trying to get a gengar to complete the sinnoh dex and eventually get the national dex but There isn't a wild Gengar (obviously) and I don't think there's a NPC trainer in the game that has a gengar,is there?

Also i can't trade a haunter for it because
1. I have no friends with DPPt or other gba games to trade by Pal park or the connection cable
2. I tried setting up my ds' wifi connection MANUALLY and it failed. Cant find an access point cos it says my internet line ISNT supported by nintendo or whatever it was.

Go into the southern entrance to Victory Road. Cross the bridge. Turn left and go down the stairs. Go left. There's a Psychic with a Gengar.

I am yet to pal park on my Platinum and was wondering when I pal park a pokemon does it leave the GBA rom I used?

So basically, no, the game won't recognize it as being nicknamed anymore. Am I getting that right?

No; actually the nickname flag in the Pokémon data structure is set to "true" forever whenever you decide to give it a custom name and PRESS OK, either the first time when you get the Pokémon (at the point the game asks for a nickname) or with the Name Rater. Thus, even if you change back the nickname to the name of its original species, isn't considered a 'default' name anymore and can't be adjusted by evolution to the right Pokémon species name.

If you trade the Pokémon to a foreign language version and you trigger the evolution, it won't change its name to match the default name in that particular language ("FEEBAS" won't become ミロカロス in a Japanese cart, for example).

Linda said:
So it actually has to be pre-determined in the coding for a trainer to actually have a shiny Pokémon.
I thought it'd be something like that, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks :)

As an exception, Battle Frontier pre-programmed and wild Pokémon (like the ones you see in the Battle Pike and Pyramid) can be shiny, because although their nature and sometimes ability are fixed, the game generates a different Personality Value which matches those characteristics each time you participate in a facility.

Last edited:
If someone trades me a Regirock, Regice, and Registeel (migrated from R/S/E) to my Platinum game, will I be able to use those to awaken the Regigigas in Snowpoint Temple?

It says on this list, some moves that already have a chance of flinching (like Air Slash) can be further enhanced by a King's Rock. Does this mean if I have a Togekiss that is holding a King's Rock, has the ability Serene Grace, and knows Air Slash, does that mean the chance of flinching is 71.7%?

In Platinum, when you get an egg from the daycare, is the baby Pokemon's gender determined when you recieve it from the old man or when you hatch it. I want to know when I should save to soft reset so I can get a female Chikorita.

In Diamond and Pearl, the gender is determined when the egg is generated. By that, I mean that when the egg icon appears on the day care app on the Pokétch, the gender has already been determined (and I think nature and ability is determined then as well) and will stay fixed, so if you soft-reset after that moment, then the gender would remain the same. I assume the behavior is the same in Platinum. So it would be better to save right after putting the parents in the daycare (at least, that's what I do), hatch the egg, and soft-reset if it's not female (unless you're breeding Voltbeat/Illumise and using the trick on the PC, but that doesn't apply here).

Aw man. ~_~
I wanted to breed the Chikorita from a Platinum Meganium, but hatch it as a female in Soul Silver so it would have the Trainer ID from Soul Silver's OT. I assume this means it's not possible now unless I'm lucky enough to get that 12.5% chance, or if I keep breeding until I get one, right?. T-T

Thanks for for the help though. ^_^

Aw man. ~_~
I wanted to breed the Chikorita from a Platinum Meganium, but hatch it as a female in Soul Silver so it would have the Trainer ID from Soul Silver's OT. I assume this means it's not possible now unless I'm lucky enough to get that 12.5% chance, or if I keep breeding until I get one, right?. T-T

Thanks for for the help though. ^_^
Save before hatching the egg. If it's female, reset and store it in PC.
It's gender and stats won't change so you may move the egg to SS without hatching it in platinum, thus it will be female.
I dunno about the trainer ID thing though, I've never traded eggs.

In Diamond and Pearl, the gender is determined when the egg is generated. By that, I mean that when the egg icon appears on the day care app on the Pokétch, the gender has already been determined (and I think nature and ability is determined then as well) and will stay fixed, so if you soft-reset after that moment, then the gender would remain the same. I assume the behavior is the same in Platinum. So it would be better to save right after putting the parents in the daycare (at least, that's what I do), hatch the egg, and soft-reset if it's not female (unless you're breeding Voltbeat/Illumise and using the trick on the PC, but that doesn't apply here).

This is not the case.
The gender and stats are generated on the Pokemon when you receive the Pokemon Egg from the man.

I have done this myself to reset for gender / nature / IVs / etc

Save before hatching the egg. If it's female, reset and store it in PC.
It's gender and stats won't change so you may move the egg to SS without hatching it in platinum, thus it will be female.
I dunno about the trainer ID thing though, I've never traded eggs.

What he wants is not possible. You cannot trade eggs.

Oh, sorry. xD I don't really understand sarcasm on the internet.
Anyway, let's stop getting off topic. o:

This is not the case.
The gender and stats are generated on the Pokemon when you receive the Pokemon Egg from the man.

I have done this myself to reset for gender / nature / IVs / etc

Hmm. In my experience (and this is on Diamond, not Platinum), the only thing that isn't set the moment the egg appears in daycare is IVs, which are generated when you pick the egg up. Hence my ritual of saving in front of the daycare man, getting and hatching the egg, checking if the baby has the nature, gender and ability that I want, and then soft resetting for IVs. Given that the nature, gender and ability are always the same no matter how many times I reset, I'd take this as confirmation that these stats are decided before the egg is picked up.

If you're after a Pokémon of a particular gender, this is still a handy system, especially if it's a hard-to-get gender, like a female starter or Eevee. You'll likely have to hatch a bunch of eggs before you get what you want, but once you have it, you're free to reset for IVs as much as you want, if that's your thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom