• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So, uh, how about that election?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azure Syaoran said:
From what I've seen, Obama still has an edge when it comes to Electoral Votes and that's what matters.

Actually he's behind on Rasmussen's map and on some other sites (e.g. www.electoral-vote.com)

Obama's still the favourite in my view, only he can lose it.

The dude from electoral-vote is a democrat.

Anyway all I'm saying is that there's just a few showing Obama currently losing. Long way to go of course, many consider it meaningless at this stage.

Yeah, but Azure Syaoran just pointed out that Rasmussen is about as unbiased as Karl Rove :p

Actually, Karl Rove's said that McCain's ads have gone too far (admittedly, he also said Obama's have, but...it's Rove, so...THAT'S to be expected).

All the guy at electoral-vote does is put up the results of non-partisan polls. He doesn't conduct any polls of his own. And it's not the bias of the people, it's the basic flaws of the system. College students and people without landlines aren't polled and that happens to be a demographic that heavily supports one candidate over the other.

This election is getting ridiculous. The McCain's slam the View because they were hard on John. And has anyone seen the "wolf" ad claiming Obama is air dropping agents from his campaign in Alaska to dig up dirt on Palin. There's got to be some point where Americans realize what's going on here.

The dude from electoral-vote is a democrat.

Anyway all I'm saying is that there's just a few showing Obama currently losing. Long way to go of course, many consider it meaningless at this stage.

A democrat, but if you look at his current results, half the polls he's using are Rasmussens.

And has anyone seen the "wolf" ad claiming Obama is air dropping agents from his campaign in Alaska to dig up dirt on Palin. There's got to be some point where Americans realize what's going on here.

Give it a week, and Obama will know more about Palin than McCain does...

All the guy at electoral-vote does is put up the results of non-partisan polls. He doesn't conduct any polls of his own. And it's not the bias of the people, it's the basic flaws of the system. College students and people without landlines aren't polled and that happens to be a demographic that heavily supports one candidate over the other.

This election is getting ridiculous. The McCain's slam the View because they were hard on John. And has anyone seen the "wolf" ad claiming Obama is air dropping agents from his campaign in Alaska to dig up dirt on Palin. There's got to be some point where Americans realize what's going on here.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/09/dems-must-give-voters-explicit.html

The problem that Democrats aren't getting is that a majority of people like Palin and will not be swayed by facts. This article does a good job of outlining how futile it is to attack Palin on the basis of her previous experience. If Obama wants to lose the election, he should keep attacking Palin as much as possible. Every day spent on Palin is a day not spent on issues, like the collapse of Lehman Brothers.

That's probably why Obama has given the all clear for Democratic 527's. They can disassemble Palin while the Obama campaign goes after McCain and concentrates on the issues.

It's really sick that people are voting on emotion and not facts. Are they not bothering to think what McCain's election means?

They just want a chick in office so they can feel liberal and open-minded while making sure she's a redneck who will cater to all of their other prejudices.

Joe Biden raised a great point today - George Bush promised to change Washington and did no such thing. People should think before trying that again.

Why would the campaign built around "Change we can believe in" make this point? Looks like another Biden gaffe.

Well, if McCain is going to make it "Change" vs "Change" (as opposed to "change" vs "experience", a situation where that WOULD be a gaffe), the most important question is who is a more credible change agent. On this question, Obama wins.

Obama wants to change America. McCain wants to change Washington. And Bush did change Washington. He changed it for the worse.

I see the way this election is shaping up to be a classic example of despite the Democratic Party being larger, Republican tactics and a failed system always deliver the win for the GOP.

Conservative-Republican voters tend to be older folks who are financially stable and have the free time to engage in politics and extracurricular activities. These folks run hand-in-hand religious-minded voters and on Election Day, they turn out in droves.

Liberal-Democratic voters tend to be younger, minority, less financially well-off voters. These people tend to feel disenfranchised and therefore don't vote. How many people have you heard say "My vote won't make a difference, so I won't". These people struggle every day to survive, eating the scraps of Reaganomics - they don't have time to worry about a Government they feel doesn't represent them.

I'll give Republicans their due: they are MASTERS of deception and distraction. Even though the GOP is the party that has been proven to create greater divides in wealth, they manage to paint the Democrats as "the big bad Government who's going to tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend".

Am I dissuaded? Nope. Disappointed? Yes. Remember the earlier point about how Evangelicals bringing about the Apocalypse as the final "fuck you" to all the sinners out there?

My very own "fuck you" is the "DEMOCRAT" that appears on my voter card. It's every time I pull the lever for Democrats. It's every time the Democratic Party wins a seat in the House or Senate. We might not be able to win but we can still go out there and vote because it's the right thing to do.

I'm not calling every person who is a Conservative or a Republican evil, because they're not. Hell, if I was rich, I'd probably be mad if the government tried to take away my money. If John McCain can be the magical cure-all for this country he thinks he can be, good luck to him.

If John McCain can fix the economy, win both wars, capture Bin Laden and power our cars on hopes and dreams - I'll be the first person to praise him.

I'm not giving up. We have 50 days to go to the election and this thing isn't lost yet.

~ Go Obama Go.

"If I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree". ~ MLK.

I have to admit that I dislike citing the New York Post, but in this article, a columnist reports that in an interview with the Foreign Minister of Iraq, Hoshyar Zebari, the Minister stated that Obama attempted to stall troop withdrawal talks until the next administration:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0915200...tried_to_stall_gis_iraq_withdrawal_129150.htm

I am anxious to see if there is independent confirmation or if this is just a hoax, but the Obama camp has already issued a response denying that he tried to pressure the Iraqis. I'm sure one way or another this will get wider coverage, and if the allegations turn out to be true, it could be a death knell to Obama's campaign.

Last edited:
It's the New York Post. I believe more political stories in the super market tabloids than in it. And considering your link doesn't work I was apparently a bald faced lie.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0915200...tried_to_stall_gis_iraq_withdrawal_129150.htm

For some reason a space keeps appearing between the "ht" and the "m" at the very end of the address, so to get there you'll have to copy and paste the link and then remove the space. The article's still up on the website, and if you can't get the link to work, just go to the Columnist page on the Post's website and find Amir Taheri.

It doesn't work. I found the opinion piece though. I'm sorry but this stinks as made up. If Obama had said this in July we would have been hearing about it for a month if from no one else the McCain campaign. The fact that this is an opinion piece of a right wing paper speaks to its credibility or lack there of.

Liberal-Democratic voters tend to be younger, minority, less financially well-off voters. These people tend to feel disenfranchised and therefore don't vote. How many people have you heard say "My vote won't make a difference, so I won't". These people struggle every day to survive, eating the scraps of Reaganomics - they don't have time to worry about a Government they feel doesn't represent them.

That's definitely how I feel. Individual votes DON'T make a difference. Only people with large amounts of money to sway candidates can make any difference in our political system. The 2000 political election proved that to me without a doubt - our system is deeply flawed and the irreparable damage being done to this nation is surely spelling the end for our economy and former social progress for the next 20 years. And if you're not a least a millionaire, there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Unless you live in a swing state, your vote is going to be useless either way - people don't vote on the issues, they vote on what they were raised to vote for, just like a religion. Red states will always be red, and blue states will always be blue. And since we have an electoral college, your vote really doesn't count in any state but swing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom