• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
Cilan must return to catch Rowlet.

150px-Black_White_Cilan.png
250px-Rowlet.png

If the leaked secondary types are true then I'll just not bother with any of the three. Popplio's apparent Water/Fighting final evo will be unnecessary since I've got a Breloom waiting. and I don't find Fire/Ground much better than Grass/Flying from a defensive standpoint. Especially in a tropical region.
Sorry, those fully evolved dual types would be a deal breaker for me.

Okay, I have no idea which one I'm going to choose! All three of these guys are soooo cuuute... And I don't have a type preference for starters either so just. Arrrrrrgh.

It's been nearly a month since the unveiling of the new starter trio, and I've been able to articulate my opinions on all three of them a lot better than before. From my profile page:

"I'm impressed with the Alola starters, and I instantly knew Rowlet was my pick of the bunch based on first form alone, though I like how charming Popplio seems to be. I'm definitely excited to see what Rowlet eventually becomes; a flightless owl or even a peacock would be sweet.

I have high hopes for Litten's final form, especially since it's my least preferred of the trio based on its base form alone; that's not to say I outright dislike it, I just prefer Rowlet and Popplio. Stage 2 Litten would be awesome as a sabertooth, so I'm looking forward to the reveal of its inbetween stage for some possible hints.

Popplio reminds me so much of Oshawott, to the point where its Stage 1 form could be so awesome and/or adorable (like Dewott) that I'd probably rather it not be fully-evolved. Having said that, I'm still interested in seeing its final evolution, just not to the same degree as those of Rowlet and Litten."

Needless to say, I'm getting all the more hyped for Gen VII and all that it brings to the franchise! :LOL:

I dunno if someone else has put any light on it, but I might as well do it. This may be a long post, but bear with me.

Let's start from the very beginning of my point. You know how there's a tutor in every game that teaches your starter Pokemon their signature moves right? As in, Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon.

elementalbeamtutor.jpg

In her dialogue, the girl next to the move tutor refers to the starter's types as;

Fire types: 'The energetic fire types: Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar, Delphox!'

Grass types: 'The quiet grass types: Venusaur, Meganium, Sceptile, Torterra, Serperior, Chesnaught!'

Water types: 'The relaxed water types: Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert, Empoleon, Samurott, Greninja!'

I'm getting to my point here. What it seems, to me, is that they took these 'stereotypes' about starters and flipped them on their heads. The personality of the starters aren't what was mentioned above. At least, that's my speculation.

Let's take a look at Litten;

litten.png

its my favorite emo-cat

Details:

Logical but also passionate, Litten always remains coolheaded and doesn't show its emotions on the surface.

So, Litten, to me, doesn't look fiery, energetic and overactive. It looks rather calm and reserved, which is the opposite of the 'stereotype' about Fire types.

Now, Rowlett;

rowlet.png

Cute lil' thing, ain't it? Anyway.

The details about it don't give an insight to its nature, but to me (speculation, again), it seems like Rowlett is an energetic, loud, jolly, happy-go-lucky kind of Pokemon that likes to be outgoing and influence others.

Which is quite the opposite, again, of the stereotype about Grass types, since Rowlett doesn't seem quiet and elegant to me.

Okay, moving on, here's Popplio;

popplio.png

oml its so cute

Details:
... Watch it spin water balloons into a playful battle strategy! Both frivolous and hard-working, Popplio can easily get carried away ...

So, Popplio is playful, energetic and hardworking. Again, opposite from what Water types are supposed to be like. It's not chill and relaxed, but rather playful in nature, as well as elegant in its tricks.

Sorry about this rather long post, I don't know how to insert spoilers. But if you read it, thanks, and give me feedback on this please.

credits: Images/Info taken from Serebii, speculations are entirely my own.

To be fair, relaxed doesn't really suit any of the water types. Take that how you will.
Also @Fractions , to insert spoilers: there's a button in the toolbar of your post that looks like a document with an I at the bottom, to the left of the floppy disk/drafts button. Click it, then you can add a quote, spoiler, code, or strike through. Then just follow prompts from the screen. Easy.

Cilan must return to catch Rowlet.

150px-Black_White_Cilan.png
250px-Rowlet.png
I love this!!!

I'm still thinking about which starter I'll pick. I have strong love for Grass Pokemon. Always, when a new gen starts, I'm raiding the Grass lists, thinking about which Pokemon I'll have on my team for the new-game run. If the Grass Pokemon in Alola are cool and cute, I'm probably not going to pick Rowlet. This is as much as I like it! I also really like Water-type Pokemon, so I usually do the same thing with Water Pokemon lists. I usually end up going with the flop Fire-type starter. I'm looking to break this pattern, since I don't like being rigid with my team Types.

I'm thinking of having Pokemon of the same type on my team. I need to stop being anal about this >_> I want Rowlet AND (if they're nice this generation) a Grass-type Pokemon on my team! I'm setting this goal for myself.

do you think Popplio would be able to learn all ball and bomb moves?
will we get a starter able to learn Aura Sphere?

One of my friends just said that the final typings for their evolutions have been revealed, but I don't know if it's true or not. I'm gonna ask her for a source.

Check out the leaks thread for that. It's based on very shaky evidence.

I don't understand why many people believe that Rowlet will drop the Flying type. Not only Grass/Ground had used before (Torterra), but never in Pokemon history we hard a type drop through normal evolution. Why a flying grass owl should lost STAB for the flying moves it learnt in the first or second stage? It makes no sense for me.

I don't understand why many people believe that Rowlet will drop the Flying type. Not only Grass/Ground had used before (Torterra), but never in Pokemon history we hard a type drop through normal evolution. Why a flying grass owl should lost STAB for the flying moves it learnt in the first or second stage? It makes no sense for me.
Swablu is normal/flying. Mega Altaria is dragon/fairy. Not only have we seen type drops before (steelix is no longer rock, scizor no longer flying, belossom no longer poison, ninjask and shedinja no longer ground, tyranitar no longer ground, masquerain no longer water, marill/azumarill no longer normal, mega aggron no longer rock, drapion no longer bug, gallade no longer fairy, I could go on but I think you get the point), but we've had a Pokemon change type completely through the course of evolution!

I still think Rowlett gaining that Ground Typing is a little weird though, especially if it remains a bird that still flies, it's like turning Blastoise into a fire type, but having it still an aquatic turtle.

I still don't get how something as simple as what could of been a typo, has brought up this Grass/Ground discussion for Rowlet lol. It's verrrrry graspy imo, and the youtubers have been having a field day/week/month with click-bait because of it.

I won't speculate on any of the said types being 'leaks', it's not plausible enough for me to even consider it. I'm good with just knowing the starters as they are for now, and when types do get revealed along with the final forms, rest assured I will make my concrete decision.

That 'leak' is just completely irrelevant to me, and I don't understand how people don't see that as grasping, but things that are almost proven/highly more likely to be proven, are strictly "speculatory" ?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom