• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
Could it simply be that despite their positioning, those are just the types for the next Pokemon to be announced?

Could it simply be that despite their positioning, those are just the types for the next Pokemon to be announced?
The images appear on the starters page specifically. It seems unlikely that this is the case.

I hope that "leak" doesn't turn out to be true tbh. It just seems weird they would give Rowlett a secondary type (something they haven't done since Gen I) only to change it once it evolves. Plus I don't want Litten to stay pure Fire, it's got so much potential for an interesting combo. :(

I think his point is it would be quite awkward if you dont let Rowlet be flying anymore but still use brave bird or fly kind of attacks. Taking poison from poison plus grass Pokemon but letting it use poison type moves dont look that absurd but the case seems quite different for Rowlet case IMO. Because it is physically impossible.

It wouldn't be that weird really. Blaziken can use some Flying-type moves including Brave Bird without being part Flying. We also have Pokemon that can use Fly without being part Flying or having Levitate as their ability (Volcarona for example). Alternatively, if its evolutions become flightless, GF can simply not allow Rowlett to learn moves that require actual flying.

I would like Rowlet's evolutions to retain their Flying typing because I almost always use Fire and Psychic-types, which usually means my Flying-type gets neglected and under leveled.

Of course, I seldom use Ground-types either, so I'm not getting too hung up on it.

It's not the same thing. Levitate goes to Pokémon who float around (maybe excluding Carnivine) and that is the point of Levitate to prevent ground type moves since it doesn't make sense when a Pokémon actually have no contact to ground but get effected by ground type moves.
Levitate (Ability) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

And there is no Pokémon who can learn Fly but can't actually fly except for Dodrio and we know that everyone finds it already weird that Dodrio can learn fly afterall.
Fly (move) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

If it becomes flightless, GF doesn't remove the moves Rowlett already knows. At least we don't have that feature. Of course it is arguable if that feature will be available, but what is the point?

I don't think GF has any strict rules about who gets Levitate or the Flying-type. We have levitating Pokemon that don't have Levitate (Magnemite line, Klink line), flying Pokemon that get Levitate instead of the Flying type (Vibrava, Flygon), flying Pokemon that get neither Levitate nor the Flying type (Mega Altaria, Volcarona, Beedrill,) etc. My point is, even if Rowlett loses the Flying-type it doesn't have to necessarily lose the ability to fly too. If its evolutions do keep the ability to fly (but not the type) then I see nothing wrong with being able to use the move Fly as well. Now if they become flightless then GF should simply not allow Rowlett to learn the move Fly like they've done with other Flying-types (Scyther, Gliscor). No need to remove any of Rowlett's moves.

That statement makes Bellossom very sad...
250px-182Bellossom.png

No, Bellossom! You're supposed to look sad! Oh, never mind...
Hahaha you are right, my bad. How I forgot Belossom while talking about a Hawaii based game!!! Good catch.

If Rowlett loses its flying type without losing its ability of flying, as you mean, and get the ground type, don't you think it is quite bizarre that a Pokémon which can get a ground type is also able to fly?

No, why would it be?

I strongly disagree that GF has a random attitude towards abilities. All the examples you just pointed out have quite reasons behind them. As for Magnemite and Klink line, there are too many abilities that fit them. So, of course, GF in the end haad to pick two or three of them because we know that Pokémon can have max. 2 abilities and plus a hidden ability, and that's all. The same counts for Mega Altaria, Volcarona and Beedrill. As for Vibrava and Flygon, it is the same reason but visa versa. GF ran out of abilities, therefore they had to end up giving them this ability.

I never said they have a "random attitude" though? I said they don't have a strict set of rules, meaning that a Pokemon that can fly or hover doesn't have to have the Flying type or Levitate. You're basically agreeing with me here lol.

If Rowlett loses its flying type without losing its ability of flying, as you mean, and get the ground type, don't you think it is quite bizarre that a Pokémon which can get a ground type is also able to fly?

Not really? We already have Ground-type Pokemon that can fly (Flygon, Golurk) not counting the ones that are also part Flying.

No, I never said a Pokémon that can't fly (or at least not "float" or anything loses its contact from the ground) can have Levitate.

Umm ok? I don't think either of us said that.

Still they have quite much of their own reasons to be both Ground and Flying though, my last sentence is quite subjective afterall. Not everyone has to think that way.

If Rowlett starts out as a regular owl and turns into a burrowing owl (which can fly btw) it would also have it own reasons to be part Ground-type with the ability to fly, no?

I think his point is it would be quite awkward if you dont let Rowlet be flying anymore but still use brave bird or fly kind of attacks. Taking poison from poison plus grass Pokemon but letting it use poison type moves dont look that absurd but the case seems quite different for Rowlet case IMO. Because it is physically impossible.

Rowlet could remain a flying creature without the flying type: look at mega altaria, venomoth, bedrill, volcarona, mega charizard X, and of course flygon. I'm not saying make Rowlet flightless, I'm saying they might give it another type, without chopping off it's wings or whatever.

Volcarona can use fly, it just doesn't get STAB. Rowlet's evo could be the same way. I'm not fully sold on the "leaked" types, but I think it's a stretch to say that it could basically never happen, or even that it's weird. Pokemon does weird stuff! We know that. We love that about them.

Last edited:
Plenty of Electric types can Dig. There's no problem.
I am not talking about type immune. I don't see why Pikachu or Jolteon couldn't learn Dig since they have hands to dig a hole. Your example is completely, completely different thing.
Anyway, I'm already tired of this agrument because it makes no sense since we have no official information. Let's wait and see.

I'm still wondering if Litten will remain pure Fire. I started liking this idea. With a decent signature move and some extra (status) poison moves and Crunch, pure fire isn't that bad.

Yes, only Bulbasaur and Rowlet are dual type starters from the first stage of their evolution.

I was torn between rowlet and litten then I realized that litten is the only cool fire first form, ergo my first hope of an actually cool fire starter line, so #teamLitten

I'd rather it be fire/dark but assuming those images on the site do actually represent the final form types than I'd be fine with fire/ground, just please anyfin but mono fire. Or fire/fighting. Originally I wanted another firefighter because I'm a huge bitch who feeds off despair but I couldn't bear to see such a tragedy bestowed upon poor based litten.

popplio is nice too

Oh, about my favorite starter from this generation, Litten holds the title currently. My preferences might change based on their evolutions, which hopefully come out soon.

Oh, about my favorite starter from this generation, Litten holds the title currently. My preferences might change based on their evolutions, which hopefully come out soon.

While I agree on Litten being the best starter this gen (although it's the hardest decision to make, all three are very good this time), don't expect to get the starter evolutions anytime soon. The Gen V and VI starters were revealed in September of their respective years (for a September and October release this year) and only the Gen V starters were leaked pre-release (and from what I hear, the guy who leaked them was arrested).

So we could get the second stages in September/October, but we won't get the final stages until someone gets a copy of the game and trains them until they reach their final form.

I am definitely on Team Litten! He or she just looks like they haven't a care in the world just like a real cat! I love that! :D

Litten can get then like Charizard a secondary typing when megaevolving if it becomes pure fire.
Even a fire/ground which has only 2 weakness, one major to water would be good if they somehow nerf the water weakness. A fast fire/ground cat to hunt electric mouses and rodents would fit and could also hit Charizard X fire/dragon hard.

Rowlet to change type from flying to ground is some nonsense, the Ice weakness stays, maybe some stab from ground moves, a electric immunity, but practically I would rather had is as a megaevolution, that would make more sense.
Grass/flying is good atleast the bug weakness got nerfed.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom