• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

suggest new moves for the 5th gen games

Geodude

Protecting Gotham City
Reaction score
We had a thread on this before, but the last post in it was 5 months ago, so I thought it was time for a new one. Please keep move suggestions within reason, to moves that we might actually see in the games. Nothing too outlandish. And like the range of real moves, they can be for early in-game (stuff like Bullet Seed for example) or top-quality competitive-type moves (such as Energy Ball or Close Combat in comparison).

I have a ton of ideas...

Darkness
Type: Dark status
Power: --
Acc: --
PP: 5
Summons pitch-black darkness for 5 turns. Raises Evasion one stage for Pokemon with the Shaded ability. Dark- and Ghost-type attacks increase in power 50%. Can be cancelled with other weather moves, the Flash move or the Illuminate ability.

Shaded (this is an ability)
It is difficult for opponents to see this Pokemon during Darkness, so its Evasion is raised 20% until Darkness ends. (The equivalent to Sand Veil and Snow Cloak.)

One-Two Punch
Type: Fighting physical
Power: 30 per hit
Acc: 100%
PP: 30
Effect: hits twice.
Two strong punches in quick succession. (A punching version of Double Kick.)

Slide
Type: Ground physical
PP: 15
Effect: the heavier the opponent, the more damage done
User slides along the ground into the opponent like a baseball player and trips it. (Ground-type Low Kick.)

Static Jolt
Type: Electric special
Power: 40
Effect: always strikes first
A quick, weak jolt of static electricity. (Yes, a special Electric Quick Attack.)

Spray
Type: Water status
Effect: lowers opponent's accuracy one stage
Sprays water or snow at the opponent to blur its vision.

Float
Type: Water status
PP: 10
Effect: Recovers up to half user's max HP.
User relaxes and floats in water to restore its HP. (Water-type Recover.)

Battle Cry
Type: Fighting status
Effect: Raises speed of user and team one stage for 5 turns.
User lets loose a loud, motivational yell.

Nerve Strike
Type: Fighting physical
Power: 70
Effect: High critical hit ratio.
Aiming for pressure points, user attacks with a strong jab.

Frozen Tail
Type: Ice physical
Power: 90
Acc: 90
Effect: 10% chance to Freeze.
Slashes the foe with a stiff, ice-cold tail.

Web Ball
Type: Bug physical
Power: 80
Effect: 30% chance to lower Speed.
Fires a ball of webbing at the foe that may entangle it.

Bullet Web
Type: Bug physical
Power: 15
Acc: 90%
PP: 20
Effect: Can hit 2-5 times.
Fires many small balls of webbing at the foe.

Web Shield
Type: Bug status
Effect: Raises user's Defense and Special Defense one stage for 5 turns. Effect can end early if hit by a Fire attack.
User creates a tough shield of webbing to protect itself for 5 turns.

Snowball
Type: Ice physical
Effect: 30% flinch chance.
Throws a large snowball at the opponent.

Motivate
Type: Psychic status
Only works in 2vs2 battles. User encourages its partner, raising its partner's highest stat one stage.

Pounce
Type: Normal physical
Power: 150
User coils first, then pounces on opponent. User flinches if hit first in the same turn. (Normal-type Focus Punch. Could be learned by most cat- and dog-like Pokemon.)

Flex
Type: Fighting status
Effect: Lowers opponent's Attack one stage.
User strikes an intimidating, muscular pose.

Talon Swipe
Type: Flying physical
Effect: High critical hit ratio.
Slashes the foe with razor-sharp talons.

Current
Type: Electric status
Effect: Raises user's Special Attack and Special Defense one stage.
An electric current circulates through the user's body. (Electric-type Calm Mind.)

Cackle
Type: Ghost special
Effect: 30% chance to Flinch.
User laughs in a loud, horribly frightening manner.

Squall
Type: Flying special
Power: 95
Effect: 10% chance to lower Attack.
User flaps its wings or takes a deep breath and blows a powerful gust of wind at the opponent.

Horrify
Type: Ghost status
Effect: Paralyzes the opponent.
User implants a horribly frightening thought in the opponent's mind. (Ghost-type Thunder Wave.)

Magnetic Power
Type: Steel special
Power: 60
Effect: 10% chance to raise all user's stats one stage.
Description: Gathers magnetic energy from the atmosphere and launches a concentrated burst of it at the opponent. (Steel-type Ancientpower.)

Bear Hug
Type: Normal physical
Power: 120
Effect: Lowers user's Defense and Special Defense one stage. 30% chance to Flinch.
Hugs the opponent very tightly with strong arms.

Recharge
Type: Electric other
Effect: restores up to half max HP.
User draws electrical energy from the atmosphere to restore its energy. (Electric-type Recover.)

Provoke
Type: Dark status
Effect: Changes opponent's ability to Hustle.
Description: User taunts opponent into a frenzy. Also can work on partner in 2vs2.

Mud Sink
Type: Ground status
Acc: 100
Effect: Sharply lowers opponent's speed. Has no effect on Flying or Levitating opponents.
Softens the ground under the opponent.

Breeze
Type: Flying status
Effect: Raises power of air-based attacks (Air Slash, Gust, Twister, Silver Wind, etc.) 50% for 5 turns. Lowers power of Grass attacks 50% for 5 turns.

Last edited:
nice, uve put some thought into those:), ive got one
Slash Vortex, Flying, atk: 40, Acc:85, 30% chance of flinching per hit, traps the opponent in a gale force tornado that damages for 2-5 turns. (Flying type fire spin of course)

May as well post mine from the last thread... With a few name changes.

Rinse
Type:Water
Catergory:Special
Power:20
Acc:100%
PP:40
Desciption:Washes away traps like Bind, Wrap, Spikes etc. No effect on Leech Seed.

Burn Up
Type:Fire
Power:20
PP:40
Description:Burns away traps like Bind, Wrap, Spikes etc.

Fireworks
Type:Fire
Power:60
PP:100%
PP:5
Description:The user shoots colorful sparks from it's body. May raise all stats.

Neon Shock
Type:Electric
Power:60
Description:The user casts an electrical glow onto the opponent. May raise all stats.

Frost Crystal
Type: Ice
Catergory: Special
Power: 50
Acc: %100
Description: The user causes ice crystals to form at the opponent. May raise all stats.

Iron Breaker
Type:Steel
Catergory:physical
Power:150
PP:20
Description:The user swings a heavy weight before smashing it into an opponent. The move fails if the user is hit.

Adhesion
Type: Poison
Catergory: Status
Power:-
Description: The user uses a sticky fluid to immoblize foe to prevent escape.

Breeze Dice
Type: Flying
Power:25
Acc:80%
PP:10
Description: The user blows hard gusts of wind. Two to five gusts are blown at the foe.

Bamboo Spear
Type: Grass
Catergory: Physical
Power:100
Acc:80%
Description: The opponent is lanced with a sharp spear made of bamboo. High critical-hit ratio.

Time Mist
Type: Ghost
Acc:-
PP:30
Description: A time-warping mist is cast. The user and all teammates have their speed raised for 3 turns.

Flash Freeze
Description: The user blasts the entire battlefield with an icy wind. It may cause freezing.

Suplex
Type: Fighting
Description: The user quickly grabs and slams the opponent. The move fails if the opponent isn't using a contact move.

Ice Barrier
Description: The user sets up a barrier of ice that blocks damage. The barrier breaks after 3 turns or when a super effective attack is used on it.

Rock Barrier
Type: Rock
Description: The user sets up a barrier of rock that blocks damage. The barrier breaks after 3 turns or when a super effective attack is used on it.

Steel Barrier
Type: Steel
Description: The user sets up a barrier of steel that blocks damage. The barrier breaks after 3 turns or when a super effective attack is used on it.

Most of the moves I've seen are just typed versions of recovery and status moves already popular, such as Rapid Spin and Recover. I don't think we need more of these, seeing that the Single environment isn't the only competitive metagame that exists, and Pokémon like Vaporeon or Suicune are fine with only Wish or Rest.

Also, too many colorful variations of Ominous Wind/AncientPower/Silver Wind and Focus Punch, and Ursaring doesn't need a slightly better STAB Close Combat sort-of attack when it has Return and Facade. I also noticed some love for Dusknoir and Spiritomb, due to Time Mist being a well designed move that suits their sturdiness and 2-on-2 support.

I think the barrier moves are a bit broken, more if Game Freak introduces a new battle mode which sports a dynamic style (Single or Double alternatively in the same match, depending on your actions) or spreads Follow Me on more Pokémon, via level-up or Move Tutor. In the end, some moves like Provoke and the aforementioned Time Mist are creative and solid ideas.

Last edited:
Most of the moves I've seen are just typed versions of recovery and status moves already popular, such as Rapid Spin and Recover.

The main purposes for Rinse and Burn Up are mostly to be variations of Rapid Spin that can actually hit Ghost Pokémon (since they're often used to block Rapid Spin from working), and mostly for fire types to be useful for something other then just sweeping.

Also, too many colorful variations of Ominous Wind/AncientPower/Silver Wind and Focus Punch, and Ursaring doesn't need a slightly better STAB Close Combat sort-of attack when it has Return and Facade.

Iron Breaker happens to be the signature move of a certain fanmade Pokémon I made up at some point (Based around a suit of armor that weilds an extremely heavy ball and chain).

I also noticed some love for Dusknoir and Spiritomb, due to Time Mist being a well designed move that suits their sturdiness and 2-on-2 support.

Thank you.

I think the barrier moves are a bit broken, more if Game Freak introduces a new battle mode which sports a dynamic style (Single or Double alternatively in the same match, depending on your actions) or spreads Follow Me on more Pokémon, via level-up or Move Tutor. In the end, some moves like Provoke and the aforementioned Time Mist are creative and solid ideas.

Perhaps the barrier moves are a tad powerful, perhaps they could work like Reflect and Light Screen instead?

I think the barrier moves are a bit broken
Were you referring to Web Shield? If so, how is it broken when Cosmic Power and Stockpile have the same effect, only permanent, and Fire attacks don't break them?

Were you referring to Web Shield? If so, how is it broken when Cosmic Power and Stockpile have the same effect, only permanent, and Fire attacks don't break them?

No, I was talking about PDL's Ice, Rock and Steel Barrier.

PDL said:
The main purposes for Rinse and Burn Up are mostly to be variations of Rapid Spin that can actually hit Ghost Pokémon (since they're often used to block Rapid Spin from working), and mostly for fire types to be useful for something other then just sweeping.

I don't know; I guess that if Stealth Rock is actually that overused in the 1-on-1 metagame (I play mostly Doubles matches), Game Freak will introduce an ability (for example, an auto Foresight/Odor Sleuth which affects the opponent's battefield) or another kind of move to negate its effect; after all, a future Pokémon with Scrappy and Rapid Spin that has good resistances, movepool and Base Stats would do the job.

Last edited:
Mirror Veil
Type:psychic
PP: 15Category: Other
A reflective veil surrounds the user and its team mates protecting it from stat loss for five turns. A Priority +1 move that reflects any move that affects a Pokemon's stat the turn it is used.

Dragon's cry
Type: Dragon
Category: Other
A mystical cry of a dragon that raises its SAtk and Spd stats.

Fighter Aura
Power:--
Acc:--
The user's fighting spirit greatly increases its abilities at low health. When HP 25% or less, every stat increases two stages. A Priority -1 move, it must be used on the turn the user's HP passes this 25% threshold.Any subsequent HP gain after the fact (ie recovery moves and berries) does not negate its effects.*

*I wanted to call it Fighting Spirit but it couldn't fit the 12-character limit of move names. Blame Lucario for me resorting to using "aura" >_>. I couldn't even call it Fighter's aura.

Health Curse
Power:--
Acc:--
PP:1
Drains the life of an ally to recover the user. Choose a Pokemon in your party, that Pokemon faints. The user's HP, status condition and PP is fully healed. The user loses 1/8 HP every turn. This effect does not go away even if the user is recalled, however the HP loss is halted until it becomes the active Pokemon again.

Team Spirit
Acc:100
Category: Special
The combined fighting spirit of the user and its team go against the foe in a team effort. The foe is attacked once for every Pokemon in the player's party that is not suffering from a major status ailment. This move does not take into consideration type advantages nor STAB.

Distort
Type: Psychic
The battle field is distorted with a strange psychic power. All the Pokemon on the field has their stats switched around (not with each other), except HP for five turns.

Chaos Reign
Type: Dark
A strange dark power causes confusion and disorder. Both the user and the opponent's Pokemon disobediently for five turns. These Pokemon are also afflicted by confusion

Last edited:
DracoBurst
Category: Physical
+1 priority dragon-type move.

Breakdown
Category: Special
Power: -
Acc: 30%
OHKO ghost-type move.

Vengeance
Acc: -
The user will survive moves Explosion and/or Selfdestruct with 1 HP and hit the next Pokemon that comes in, except a Ghost type, with the equal amount of HP the user lost. Ex: 200 HP, down to 1 HP after explosion, next Pokemon receives 199 HP damage. This move does not include STAB, Life Orb, Expert Belt, Choice Scarf, or any other attack boosting items or abilities. If the user is the last Pokemon on the team and the move is chosen the user will faint even if Explosion or Self Destruct aren't a OHKO. If the user is already at 1 HP it may not use the move again or it will fail.

._. I..tried.

A reflective veil surrounds the user and its team mates protecting it from stat loss for five turns. A Priority +1 move that reflects any move that affects a Pokemon's stat the turn it is used.[/I]

A mystical cry of a dragon that raises its SAtk and Spd stats.

The user's fighting spirit greatly increases its abilities at low health. When HP 25% or less, every stat increases two stages. A Priority -1 move, it must be used on the turn the user's HP passes this 25% threshold.Any subsequent HP gain after the fact (ie recovery moves and berries) does not negate its effects.*

*I wanted to call it Fighting Spirit but it couldn't fit the 12-character limit of move names. Blame Lucario for me resorting to using "aura" >_>. I couldn't even call it Fighter's aura.

Mirror Veils sounds like a combination of Mist and Magic Coat, though the latter is much better because it has a priority of +4, and Mist is rarely a good choice for a moveslot. Well, it protects the entire team at least.

I like Dragon's cry, but it needs a better name and maybe background origin to be widespread on more Pokémon, giving that most Dragon-type Pokémon are already overpowered and they don't need any more exclusive support. Special Sweepers of the Psychic, Ice, Fire and Grass types are the ones who are desperate of a similar move.

Fighter's Aura is a little useless because it has major restrictions such as a negative priority, and +2 in all stats isn't that tentative when the Pokémon already has lost 75% of its maximum HP; even a species like Lucario (I guess you designed the move to be a reference to its Aura/Hadou/Kiai abilities on Brawl and the anime) won't be able to take hits with so low HP and mediocre defensive base stats, despite good resistances.

.ιиsσмиιαc. said:
DracoBurst
+1 priority dragon-type move.

Again, Dragon-type Pokémon have already good or decent movepools than they don't need more love; if you really liked the idea of a priority Dragon-type attack, at least decrease the base power from 60 to 40 like most of the current +1 priority ones.

Last edited:
Mirror Veils sounds like a combination of Mist and Magic Coat, though the latter is much better because it has a priority of +4, and Mist is rarely a good choice for a moveslot.

I like Dragon's cry, but it needs a better name and maybe background origin to be widespread on more Pokémon, giving that most Dragon-type Pokémon are already overpowered and they don't need any more exclusive support. Special Sweepers of the Psychic, Ice, Fire and Grass types are the ones who are desperate of a similar move.

Fighter's Aura is a little useless because it has major restrictions such as a negative priority, and +2 in all stats isn't that tentative when the Pokémon already has lost 75% of its maximum HP; even a species like Lucario (I guess you designed the move to be a reference to its Aura/Hadou/Kiai abilities on Brawl and the anime) won't be able to take hits with so low HP and mediocre defensive base stats, despite good resistances.

Again, Dragon-type Pokémon have already good or decent movepools than they don't need more love; if you really liked the idea of a priority Dragon-type attack, at least decrease the base power from 60 to 40 like most of the current +1 priority ones.

Why the fuck are you judging everyone? Get lost.

Mirror Veils sounds like a combination of Mist and Magic Coat, though the latter is much better because it has a priority of +4, and Mist is rarely a good choice for a moveslot.

As much as I like that someone actually reads this stuff, moves aren't created solely for competitive use. I just like the gimmicky stuff.

Fighter Aura was supposed to have been called Fighting Spirit and have access to most fully evolved fighting types but the naming restrictions made me use the term "Aura", however the Pokemon it is intended for does not change.

And yeah, 75% is kind of low so what? Late-game, suddenly having your offensive stats raised two levels along with your speed could completely turn the tables around.

Being called Dragon Dance didn't keep it exclusive from move tutors, so there's your answer to it not being restricted to dragons.

And it does say "suggest" a move, so where's your moves?

Vengeance
Acc: -
The user will survive moves Explosion and/or Selfdestruct with 1 HP and hit the next Pokemon that comes in, except a Ghost type, with the equal amount of HP the user lost. Ex: 200 HP, down to 1 HP after explosion, next Pokemon receives 199 HP damage. This move does not include STAB, Life Orb, Expert Belt, Choice Scarf, or any other attack boosting items or abilities. If the user is the last Pokemon on the team and the move is chosen the user will faint even if Explosion or Self Destruct aren't a OHKO. If the user is already at 1 HP it may not use the move again or it will fail.

._. I..tried.

I had a move (except dark type) with the same name, except...

Vengeance
Description: If a pokemon with this move faces another pokemon who has KOed one of his opponent's pokemon, this move's power doubles.

Basically.

Espeon defeats Lucario
Houndoom is sent out
Houndoom uses Vengeance on Espeon
Vengeance is now 120 power

I had a move (except dark type) with the same name, except...

Vengeance
Description: If a pokemon with this move faces another pokemon who has KOed one of his opponent's pokemon, this move's power doubles.

Basically.

Espeon defeats Lucario
Houndoom is sent out
Houndoom uses Vengeance on Espeon
Vengeance is now 120 power
Not bad I like it. It's actually a lot simpler then mine ._. and could work better.

And yeah, 75% is kind of low so what? Late-game, suddenly having your offensive stats raised two levels along with your speed could completely turn the tables around.

Being called Dragon Dance didn't keep it exclusive from move tutors, so there's your answer to it not being restricted to dragons.

And it does say "suggest" a move, so where's your moves?

The worst part of Fighter's Aura isn't the effect but the limit it puts on your Pokémon; it won't become broken if it doesn't get a negative priority or isn't used perforce in the same turn the HP of the Pokémon drops to 25% of its max.

Dragon Dance is a move which is learned mostly by Dragon-like Pokémon, so it keeps the Dragon-type related theme. Yes, I'm aware of the Barboach, Corphish and Tropius families learning the move by breeding in HGSS but I think Game Freak made that solely for the joking or humourous consequences.

I have some suggestions but as they aren't finished at all, I'll post them later. Is there something wrong with just commenting or discussing about other people's ideas?

Last edited:
Distort
The battle field is distorted with a strange psychic power. All the Pokemon on the field has their stats switched around (not with each other), except HP for five turns.

Chaos Reign
A strange dark power causes confusion and disorder. Both the user and the opponent's Pokemon disobediently for five turns. These Pokemon are also afflicted by confusion

To continue with this theme....I was thinking these moves could be used for a Trickster legendary.

Trickery
Shuffles the items of all the Pokemon (both the yours and your opponent's) between each other at random. Your own items may be switched amongst yourself

Shuffle
PP: 2
Pokemon randomly switch in and out of battle for the duration of the battle. Every turn, there is a 40% chance that you or your opponent will be forced to switch your Pokemon. You cannot choose which Pokemon is called out even if you willingly choose to recall your Pokemon. This effect is negated if Shuffle is used a second time.

There we go, a full moveset for a made-up legendary whose entire existence is for "teh lulz"
The worst part of Fighter's Aura isn't the effect but the limit it puts on your Pokémon; it won't become broken if it doesn't get a negative priority or isn't used perforce in the same turn the HP of the Pokémon drops to 25% of its max.

Since when Dragon Dance is a Move Tutor move? I think you meant 'Outrage' instead, which also happens to be your username.

Well it doesn't stop this move from being a tutor does it?

I have some suggestions but as they aren't finished at all, I'll post them later. Is there something wrong with just commenting or discussing about other people's ideas?

Well, I was just curious as to your own original ideas.

EDIT: I do not like Shuffle for a trickster legendary.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this be an AWSOME move for competitive battle:

Radiant Blast
Category: Status
Accuracy:100
Description: When used the user concentrates it's thoughts into the center of it's mind, then unleashes the thoughts into a blast of light that engulfs the battlefield. It lowers the foe's accuracy sharply.

Yep, a great move for competitive battle! :lol:

^ eh, it's okay.

Prominence
Type: Fire
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 10/10
Description: Kind of a fire type future sight. The Pokemon releases a pillar of fire skyward that will ark downwards and strike after three turns.

I don't know; I guess that if Stealth Rock is actually that overused in the 1-on-1 metagame (I play mostly Doubles matches), Game Freak will introduce an ability (for example, an auto Foresight/Odor Sleuth which affects the opponent's battefield) or another kind of move to negate its effect; after all, a future Pokémon with Scrappy and Rapid Spin that has good resistances, movepool and Base Stats would do the job.

The only problem with abilities is that they end up on only a few Pokémon, maybe 5 or 6 if you're lucky. Then the ability's ability to affect the metagame is at the mercy of the stats of those Pokémon. Look at Simple. It's a powerful ability, but it's uses is greatly reduced by being only in two families, only one of which keeps the ability in the final form and that Pokémon wouldn't be considered a moveslot considering how unpopular it is (everyone makes fun of Bibarel and can't really take it seriously enough to learn how to use it's ability effectively).

anyway, here's a couple of new moves I've come up with:

Rejuvinate
Type: Normal
Description: The user restores 5 PP to another move it knows. Cannot be used on itself.

This move goes well with Recover and Refresh.

Fire Ball
Type: Fire
Power: 40
Description: The user lunges itself while on fire, it is certain to strike first.

Basically a fire-typed quick attack. Flareon needs this move badly.

Aqua Gel
Type: Water
Descripton: This attack inflicts double damage on a burned foe. It cures the burn however.

I have no idea who would learn this attack. It's basically a water-typed SmellingSalt.

Tornado Bolt
Type: Electric
Acc: %70
Descripton: The user traps the foe in a swirling thundercloud for two to five turns.

Fire Spin and Whirlpool's electric variation.

Flower Trap
Type: Grass
Description: The user uses a fake flower to ensnare the foe. Does double damage to bug types and ignores resistances.

Now for something comepletely new, It's an attack that does super effective damage to a type that the move is supposed to be weak against. I have no idea if such a move is kosher for Pokémon though...

A move that is strong against a type that should be strong against it? What's wrong with that? I'd call that good strategy.

Silencer
Accuracy:30%
Description: A dark-type OHKO. Because it jsut fits them.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom